Tinuviel
Norc
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
22 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD

Post by chris63 Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:16 am

Mixed reviews

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/hobbit-trilogy-follow-up/

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/08/in-defense-of-trilogizing-the-hobbit/260648/
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: Countdown to Release - UPDATE Film 3 confirmed, no bridge

Post by RA Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 am

I followed the link. I'm worried about that guy who is lobbying for the Silmarillion.
No one and no film will ever do the Silmarillion justice. I'm glad Christopher Tolkien has such a firm stance against releasing the rights. But if executives start gunning for a film to be made to keep the Middle Earth franchise alive?
I hope the Estate is well prepared in the legal department.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 am

Just to much in the Silmarillion to put into film (the same was said about LOTR, and look what happened there...). Possibly some of the individual stories could be done though.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:10 am

I for one would be happy for The Silmarillion to never, ever be adapted to film. A massive mythology does not lend itself to a film or television series format. Furthermore, it lacks the awareness level of, say, Greek mythology to have specific myths successfully adapted. Obviously it's not my call though.

Still, the only way I see The Silmarillion being filmed in our lifetimes is if the younger members of the Tolkien family decide to sell the film rights after Christopher Tolkien passes away (and as far as I know he's in perfectly good health for an 80+ year old man). I don't know much about the inner workings of the Tolkien family but my best guess is that the rights will stay locked down until the book enters the public domain. In all likelihood that will take the best part of a century, if not longer.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:27 pm

I hope the Tolkien estate holds out for as long as is possible- whatever the statute on copyright is- and I hope they reapply to get it extended when it comes round- bugger letting PJ ruin the majesty of the Sil too. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Well.... if Beren and Luthien was made into a film one day (is that even possible if they{{{{or me Twisted Evil }}} can't have the rights to the Silmarillion?) I imagine a prologue would glaze over the history of the silmarills, and that would be as close as anyone could get to a Silmarillion film Shrugging. OR Children of Hurin could be made into a film, though I think that story is bit morose for modern cinema....

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 am

Children of Hurin would be a nice film if it was adapted accurately and properly. Sadly the only way they would make it would most likely include heavy alterations (such as most of the main characters dying) and that film would utterly suck.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 am

Slightly tweaked trailer for The Hobbit arrives

To the untrained eye, the new trailer might appear to be exactly the same as the one that was released last Christmas, but there are a couple of minor additions worth looking out for.

Firstly, there's an additional reaction shot of Bilbo welcoming Gandalf to the Shire. Then we have a glimpse of Bilbo hiding behind a Mirkwood tree, before finally getting a look at Gandalf and the dwarves pelting through the forest.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 am

Those Mirkwood fungii that Bilbo is hiding behind at 1:58 look dark and slimy. I hope that's how all the psychedelic coloured mushrooms end up when all the colors have finally been tweaked.

I'm hoping we'll get a completely new trailer in about a month as promised.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm

three films!!!!!!!! Shocked

Maybe I should just go hide from this till 2015 when Petty has hacked all the rubbish out and i have a hobbit! movie to watch!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:12 pm

where'd you see that?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Oh, I'm a week behind (I was out in the woods, actually). I cruised over to Bree and saw Orwell actually accepting and perhaps looking forward to 3 films, being that he's accepted it's Jackson's Hobbit and not Tolkien's Hobbit. I thought I had caught some sort of delerium out in the woods, but then realized this was the approach I had finally taken to LoTR (after quite a bit of squawking and screaming first, mind you). It's a sensible if less entertaining approach.

But I can't see Odo ever accepting it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:L.E.G.O.L.A.S Laughing

Fortunately my office mate had just stepped out when I saw this. Thanks Figgy! Very Happy

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:26 pm

In your absence Halfwise the terrible news has only increased! Im on my third crabbit meter this week alone! Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 pm

In these p.c. times crabbit meters just ain't made to last the way they used to. I suggest you go vintage. German engineering and whatnot.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:17 pm

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08/07/60548-warner-bros-plans-limited-release-for-48-fps-hobbit/

limited release of 48 fps. link for more
Variety is reporting that a source familiar with Warner Bros release plans for Peter Jackson’s first “Hobbit,” the HFR version (high frame rate) will go out to only select locations, perhaps not even into all major cities. However, reports from people shown recent footage of the 48 frames-per-second 3D indicate the picture now looks vastly better than the test footage shown this April at CinemaCon.

The studio may be hoping to protect the format by going into a limited release for the HFR version and gauging audience reaction before expanding the release further for the second and third installments. An additional complication is that no theatres are yet ready for HFR projection, but some require only a software upgrade that will be ready in September. Variety says that Warners is satisfied with the pace of efforts to ready theatres for HFR.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I wonder if this was inevitable or if Warner Bros. is just getting cold feet after the initial reaction. Either way, I'm glad that they apparently fixed up the visual issues. I hope that The Hobbit is just as glorious-looking as LOTR, regardless of anything else.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 pm

The following is a list of minitures to be released by Games Workshop- the official licened company for TH.
Not sure what they might have just made up or what is directly from the film- but oh dear- the horror if half this stuff is genuinely in the films! Evil or Very Mad

Dwarves: Kili & Fili & Longbeard Archers
Dwarves: Bombur with Kettle
Dwarves: Drogo Baggins & The Tavern Maid
Dwarves: Dáin & Iron Hill Berserkers
Dwarves: King Thráin & Longbeard Vanguard
Dwarves: Young Thorin & Longbeard Mattockguard
Dwarves: King Thrór
Dwarves: Dragon Mithril Company of Dwarves
Dwarves: Dáin Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders
Dwarves: Dís, Mother of Kili and Fili
Dwarves: Gimli (Stubble)
Dwarves: Samwise Gamgee (Red Book)

Wargs: Dire Warg
Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves
Wargs: Feral Wolf Pack
Wargs: The Werebeast
Wargs: Lagdush & Orc Wolfcloak Warriors
Wargs: Narzug & Orc Warg-Riders
Wargs: Dol Guldur Orc Overlords
Wargs: Orc Chieftain on Warg
Wargs: Orc Wolfbone Shaman

Dol Guldur: Leaping Spiders / Shiverfang Spiders
Dol Guldur: Spiderlings
Dol Guldur: The Willowhags
Dol Guldur: Bloodwraiths
Dol Guldur: Gwethil
Dol Guldur: The Necromancer / Flesh Avatar
Dol Guldur: Narzug & Orc Summoner Coven
Dol Guldur: Tomb Wights
Dol Guldur: Mounted Tomb Wights
Dol Guldur: Saruman & The Ringwraiths
Dol Guldur: Vampire Bat Swarms

White Council: Mounted Rivendell Nobles
White Council: Lindir the Harper
White Council: Arwen & Estel
White Council: Galadriel (Barrel)
White Council: Radagast with Roäc & Swoop
White Council: Galadriel (Water Steed)
White Council: The War Council
White Council: Galadriel & Lórien Drumhooves
White Council: Chief Aravir & Dúnedain Rangers
White Council: Dúnedain Runecaster
White Council: Elrond & Rivendell Spearguard
White Council: Elros & Rivendell Outriders
White Council: Radagast's Chariot / Spellfire Cart
White Council: Cirdan the Shipwright

Mountain Orcs: Azog & Orc Needlers
Mountain Orcs: Azog (Wounded)
Mountain Orcs: Bolg & Great Goblin Bodyguard
Mountain Orcs: Armoured Hill-Trolls / Frenzied Trolls
Mountain Orcs: Orc Stone Thrower

Men of Esgaroth: King Girion
Men of Esgaroth: Fram the Watchman
Men of Esgaroth: The Master of Lake-Town
Men of Esgaroth: Bard & Greystreak Bowmen
Men of Esgaroth: Bain & Quickstrings Gang / Trout Guild Militia
Men of Esgaroth: Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard
Men of Esgaroth: Garf & Footsoldiers of the Dale

Grey Mountain Dragons: Fire-wyrms
Grey Mountain Dragons: Braga & Goldscale Worshippers
Grey Mountain Dragons: Venomblade Assassin
Grey Mountain Dragons: Goldscale Priest
Grey Mountain Dragons: Bofur on Cold-Drake
Grey Mountain Dragons: Dragon Thrall
Grey Mountain Dragons: Money Bags & Hired Knives
Grey Mountain Dragons: Fell Hatchlings

Beornings: Woodmen Healer
Beornings: Fair Daughter
Beornings: Meneldor & Swiftbeak Flock
Beornings: Gorm & Woodmen Axethrowers / Skin-Changers
Beornings: Whisperbark / Gnarlfir
Beornings: Black Bear Pack
Beornings: Enraged Beorn
Beornings: Grimbeorn (Greataxe)

Silvan Elves: Legolas & Mirkwood Fire Archers
Silvan Elves: Mirkwood Warhost
Silvan Elves: King Thranduil (Battle Garb)
Silvan Elves: Tauriel (Mounted)
Silvan Elves: Castellan Amroth

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Sweet Eru! Save Us! :facepalm:

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I dont know which of the two Galadriel ones deserve the widest Shocked Galadriel (barrel) or Galadriel (water steed)

Gimle (stubble) is an intresting one as we know the actor was on the set and coy about a cameo.
Most of what si son there I find horrible- Bain- thats the made up son of Bard isn't it? He would appear to part of a street gang or something from this. Mad

I also find Saruman and the Ringwriaths worrying too and what the heck is a Dunedain Runecaster? (the person who traps the Nazgul in the made up tombs?)

Horrible, all horrible! Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

I have some hope that the Runecaster stuff is a Games Workshop invention since I believe they made up similar sorts of magic-users for their LOTR games. What on earth Galadriel has to do with barrels or a "water-steed" is beyond me, though. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 pm

OOF! To much information! Shocked

How many dragons?!?!
Bofur on Cold-Drake?!?!

What book is this from again????

Though I find that suddenly I'm not even worried about bunnysleds anymore....
and I feel a curious sensation growing....
I think it's morbid curiosity Suspect
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Not knowing for sure which of these were invented by Games Workshop and which by Peter Jackson, my thoughts on some of the other ones (assuming the list is accurate).

Dwarves: Samwise Gamgee (Red Book) - this may be an indication that Sam will also appear in the framing device, perhaps towards the end with the (almost) finished Red Book like in LOTR.

Dol Guldur: The Necromancer / Flesh Avatar - not sure what a "flesh avatar" is but it might be a product of GW's imagination.

Dol Guldur: Tomb Wights - I wouldn't be surprised if we see Barrow-wights in The Hobbit alongside the imprisoned Ringwraiths but I'd take this one with a grain of salt until the movies actually come out because it's the sort of thing GW might come up with.

White Council: Radagast with Roäc & Swoop - I wonder if this means that Roac the Raven's role in The Hobbit (alerting Dain to the Dwarves' predicament prior to the Battle of the Five Armies) will be conflated with Radagast.

White Council: Elros & Rivendell Outriders - I'm pretty sure this is not the first mention of Elros relating to The Hobbit but what on earth would be his role given that he died almost 6000 years prior?

White Council: Cirdan the Shipwright - It makes sense that Cirdan would have a role in the White Council storyline but I don't think that's been confirmed. Might be an indication here.

Beornings: Fair Daughter - Could "fair daughter" be another opportunity for romance or is it just a bit of fanservice for the wargamers?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Well didnt Cumberbum say he was doing motion capture and voice for the Necromancer- if so that might hint towards this 'flesh avatar' thing. Maybe he is incorporal but can possess bodies or something? (Even typing that has set my crabbit meter off).

The Sam one, the Gimli one I think are more likely, same goes for Drogo, as the models are for gaming as well as collecting and I cant see much use for those in a game.
The Galadriel ones are so far out there I supsect PJ- as I honestly dont see anyone at GW thinking to put her in a barrel or on a 'water steed' -whatever one of those might be (I'm imagining something like the 'white horses' Gandalf adds to the flood waters at Bruinen- ok now my crabbit meter is nearing another explosion! Evil or Very Mad )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow, I totally missed the Drogo one I read through. "And Tavern Maid." Laughing I think you're on spot with him and Sam. I imagine Gimli (stubble) could be to make him look younger than in LOTR even though John Rhys-Davies is pushing 70 now.

That's an interesting idea about the Necromancer. I could see that happening; it might resolve the continuity issue of his physical form. It might also ruin one of my favorite mental images of what The Hobbit will be like though. How did the bodiless Sauron move around, anyway? Very Happy

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 20 Movingeye
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next