Tinuviel
Norc
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
22 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 19 Empty Re: Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

thats very interesting, I never knew this, poor old Gollum was very nice and polite. Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 19 Empty Re: Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Orwell Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 pm

You see, when Bilbo originally told the story, he covered it up a bit, distorted it, so that folk would not question his right to have it, or call him "Thief" and all, or accuse him of actually cheating in the game. This was The Ring's first subtle bit of corrupting on Bilbo, you see. Very Happy Remember, Tolkien is the translator. He translated from the Red Book of Westmarch, both early and later editions. Tolkien had both versions. Maybe Tolkien only found the 37 version in a box in 37, and then another in 51 (in a different box). Tolkien mentioned both versions in LotR. Nod

Btw I'm almost finished reading The Hobbit (second translation). Amazing how many things I'd forgotten, or remembered differently! Wonderful book! Still amazed by how he knits the absurd and the grittily real together to make you feel discombobulated over and over again. No wonder I read it so quickly when I first took it out to read in a bored moment when I was about twelve or thirteen! Shocked That would make it about 1971, I think... affraid

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 am

Now we can plan on three movies. We can still count on December 14th for the first film’s release, December 13th 2013 for the second film release and we confirmed “Summer 2014” with two sources for the final film. Warners gets a big tent-pole summer blockbuster out of it. Just a guess, but I bet that was part of the negotiations.

Jackson, thankfully, promised to do one thing differently than the book: He needed to flesh out the Dwarf characters. Dwarven culture, character and history needed to be revealed here; Each of Thorin’s company needed to have dialog and motives and story arcs and character development. This would take time, screen time and then whatever starts in the establishing film then needs to be finished in what comes next.

Taken from Torn.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 am

Yeah cause that what we need 13 made up story arcs. Mad
The dwarves need personality but not their bloody life stories- they are secondary to Bilbo. TH is about bloody Bilbo!!! Banghead

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:49 am

That TORn analysis was painful to read.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08/02/60244-the-bold-hobbit-trilogy-decision-and-what-to-expect-now/

Copying what I wrote on another forum because I'm lazy:

Eldorion wrote:I read through that whole article and the thing that left the greatest impression on me was PJ's comment about how he's bad at making short movies. That's not something to be proud of. All movies go through the editing process and it's important to be able to tell a story in an economical fashion. I enjoy long movies but pacing is important. The expansion to three films suggests to me that PJ either doesn't know how to edit his films or doesn't want to and that in either case he no longer has anyone willing to stand up to him. His comments at Comic-Con lend further credence to this view. I'm not surprised that TORn is trying to spin this as a positive though. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:21 am

I am all for giving each dwarf a personality, but there is a fine line, as Petty says, we don't need their whole life story. But we need to know a little bit to be able to connect with the dwarves and their mission. But yeah, his ability to not make short movies is a worry. The pace of the movie might just get boring or too fast or just, well, tiering really.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 am

Eldorion wrote:That TORn analysis was painful to read......

I'm not surprised that TORn is trying to spin this as a positive though. Rolling Eyes

Agreed. I had to skim over large sections to keep from slapping my computer.

The main justification for the extra movie that I can see, besides the money, is that it would have been hard to have Smaug and the Battle of 5 Armies in the same movie without having to cut out large bits out of both. (I assume PJ intends to show us an hour of dragon effects and an hour of battle Rolling Eyes Doesn't leave much time for plot.)

The whole Thorin-Arkenstone story is almost operatic though, and I can see it making a fine story arc for the third movie if properly adapted, (and I acknowledge thats a big "IF".)

David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 am

oh god.. the hobbit is going to be shit, isn't it?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 am

Norc wrote:oh god.. the hobbit is going to be shit, isn't it?

I think it's going to be no more nor less shit than LotR.

I think there's going to be plenty to like and plenty to hate, all packaged in a crowd-pleasing spectacle.
At least that's what I've been preparing myself for all along.

The two things I'm certain off:
It can't be as good as TORn expects,
It can't be as bad as Petty expects.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:09 am

oh, but then that isn't so bad. But I'de rather have Petty's attidute and be surprised than torn's and be dissapointed.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I guess I am the only one that thinks PJ should have complete artistic licence then? ok so its only me then, never mind. I am now quite reconciled to all the changes and weird shit, whatever he does is ok by me. At first I wanted my personal vision of the Hobbit, but then I saw an axe in a head and thought, sheesh! its not the Hobbit, this is just another fantasy film, rather better made than 98% of other fantasy films, with 99% better actors and 100% better music, and its not Eragon.
So its not so bad really. I am just happy to see fluffy elves and Gandalf and Bilbo, its all jolly exciting. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 pm

here's Bilbo for you then, Mrs Figg.
Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 19 Tumblr_m86f67pYEV1r7clc5o3_250
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Razz so cute! I CANNOT wait to see him as Bilbo. cheers

cumon guys, it will be fun. Razz sunny
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm not worried about the dwarves being given a bit more to say. That shouldn't be hard. Tolkien made them distinctive anyway - after a fashion. I can't see many being more than 'character' actors. Thorin will have a big role. Fili and Kili a lesser - but nice to look at though. Bombur for fat jokes. Balin had a reasonable part, and some suggestion of him being a Lord himself won't go astray. Dori has a remarkably big part in The Hobbit (or more than I remembered anyhow). Anyhow, I'm not stressed about the dwaerves being fleshed out a bit.

I'm especially looking forward to the furry Bunnies I've always liked Bunnies. geek

I've just finished reading The Hobbit. Remarkable book. I'll probably read it again before the Day of Doom comes....

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm

David H wrote:I think it's going to be no more nor less shit than LotR.

I think there's going to be plenty to like and plenty to hate, all packaged in a crowd-pleasing spectacle.
At least that's what I've been preparing myself for all along.

The two things I'm certain off:
It can't be as good as TORn expects,
It can't be as bad as Petty expects.

I'm not sure it's going to be as good as LOTR by any standard ... I think PJ has slipped in the last decade ... but I don't think it will be completely horrible either. As Mrs Figg says, it's definitely not going to be Eragon. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:26 pm

It can't be as bad as Petty expects.- David

Where's your faith in PJ now?! I have complete faith in him- it can be that bad!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Let's put it this way Petty, my faith in you exceeds my faith in Peter Jackson. Smile
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Countdown to Release | SPOILER THREAD - Page 19 Empty Countdown to Release - UPDATE Film 3 confirmed, no bridge

Post by RA Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm going to try to remain optimistic from now on. I say, "try" because I'm afraid Jackson still has a bombshell to drop. But until then, I'm going to try to be positive, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. Smile

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

I imagine PJ singing this to Tolkien

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 pm

PJ better deliver with the first movie or I don't know what's going to happen to this fandom. The trilogy announcement has already stretched people to the breaking point and "wait and see" is only a temporary measure. However it turns out, I'm sure there will be meltdowns come December 14 from one group of people or another. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Orwell wrote:
I've just finished reading The Hobbit. Remarkable book. I'll probably read it again before the Day of Doom comes....

I'm going to do that too. Before each of PJ's 3 LotR movies I read the whole trilogy, trying to imprint my own images into my memory before they were overlaid an corrupted by Jackson's images. It's like a spiritual purification on the eve of battle.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:12 am

Having actually read the book b4 watching the film this time there is a chance I may not like the film
That would be mosr sad

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 am

I'm hoping for Three Movies and a bridging movie (or two)... Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 am

Orwell wrote:I'm hoping for Three Movies and a bridging movie (or two)... Very Happy

....or three.....or even six! And don't forget the prequels. Just the information in time-line of the 3rd Age in Appendix B could in theory provide inspiration for an almost unlimited number of movies Shocked
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:44 am

I say there's a movie or two to be made out of the discussion of pronunciation in Appendix E.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next