chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by azriel Wed May 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Highrise_zpsd5d895c9

Lovely view if youve got the nerve ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by halfwise Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 pm

is that real? if so where and how much? I'd like to put my man Ferguson on the trail.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 15, 2014 12:02 am

I found it on Facebook actually, its on josh Altman-The Altman Brothers page.( Josh Altman of Million Dollar Listing & Hilton & Hyland )  Im guessing its in USA ??

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 am

It doesn't really look real to me.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 15, 2014 12:40 am

I agree it does look 'odd' ! but, with the spare dosh floating about you never know ? Looking at it again, it does look photo-shopped  Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 1:36 am

I'm watching a documentary called 'Leave to Beavers', by NOVA. http://www.thirteen.org/programs/nature/leave-it-to-beavers--preview/

This makes me almost as happy as Norc's 'fuck the snow' song.

Anyway, there are several stories woven together, all wonderful.

First, a biologist was going through the records of a park that had been formed in a place where beavers had been hunted into extinction, then re-introduced in the 1930's. She expected to see the beavers taken root where there was already water, but instead she saw them moving into anemic streams, damming them, and filling them up. This led to research in drought areas, where the only greenery was where beavers had taken over streams, and in dam after dam kept the water from flowing through and disappearing. Wildlife would move in.

Another story is about a ranger in Quebec who was hired to deal with beavers; they would build dams were culverts ran under roads, and then during floods the roads would wash out. He found that if he put a tape recorder on a dam with the sound of running water, over the night a dozen trees would be felled and the tape recorder was covered with branches and mud. So what he did was put a row a stakes a short distance from the culverts, making the sound of flowing water. He'd plant extra culverts along the bottom. The next morning a dam would be there, and he could control the water by capping and uncapping his culverts. He could basically order a dam for free wherever he wanted one, and since underwater culverts make no sound, he could always control the water as he pleased.

Another story is about people who rescue beavers and raise them until old enough to be set out on their own. It turns out beavers are as social as dogs, and take to people just the same way. So beaver/human collaborations work very well.

Anyway, the 'beaver whisperer' segment is in the first 15 minutes; when they post the full show, it's worth watching at least the beginning. It will make you grin.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 1:42 am

Now they're showing the top live beaver trapper in North America, a hair dresser who's on a mission.  She traps beavers in places like housing developments and then moves them to where people want them.  it's fun to see two old ranchers bouncing up and down with excitement to see their beaver family arrive.  I love you

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 am

Sounds very interesting. Gotta love public television. I love you

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 1:01 pm

I wasn't expecting much out of it.  I was all "oh, since I'm gonna eat something may as well turn on the telly, is there anything not completely stupid on?"  Thought I'd only watch for about 20 minutes, but this show about beavers was oddly awesome.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Beavers can be annoying though. Most of all because, from my experience, they tend to leave their work half done. As in, start gnawing through a tree and then give up and start on another one.

We used to have some living close to our cabin, and that's all they ever did.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:45 pm

I just read a fascinating piece about nitrogen on the BBC, I wont go into details just provide the link.

But I had no idea there had been such things as Nitrogen wars- wars fought over the need for fertiliser.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/27731291

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Though I knew there were struggles for control of the guano islands, the eye-opener for me was that the Fritz-Haber process uses about 1% of the world's energy.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:56 pm

halfwise wrote: the eye-opener for me was that the Fritz-Haber process uses about 1% of the world's energy.

I didn't know that number either, but I've seen calculations that claim the energy used to make the nitrate fertilizer to grow corn to make ethanol as fuel is more than the energy in the ethanol produced. (Part of the reason that the petroleum industry has never felt threatened by ethanol as alternative energy: They make out like bandits either way! Twisted Evil )

That's a really good article you found Petty!

I knew some of it from farming, and some of it from history of weapons, but I don't think I've ever seen the two put together like that before.

One thing they implied but didn't emphasize is that it was a world shortage of nitrate production capacity during WWI and WWII that drove the development of nuclear weapons.

Then, once the war was over and conventional nitrate explosives were made mostly obsolete by nukes, the nitrate industry turned all of it's massive war production facilities to agriculture, making almost unlimited cheap fertilizer available to farmers, which in the 50's and 60's gave us the Green Revolution, which in turn gave us a huge explosion in world population.

The world we know now is entirely sustained by the energy bubble driven by nitrates and nukes from the wars of the last century and a half.

And that's a little scary. Where's my sofa?
 Sofa 

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Very good points Halfy and Dave, but I think after your piece David I might just be joining you behind that sofa
 pale Sofa 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:44 am

Absurd Creature of the Week: This Fish Can Support 300 Times Its Weight With a Super Suction Cup

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Clingfish1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:56 pm

I might be able to do it, but it doesnt look to happy about having to!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I might be able to do it

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 105576d1346839293-can-we-have-little-smiley-face-little-man-taking-his-hat-off-hatsoff

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Youd be amazed at my sucking ability Twisted Evil - can get the dregs from the bottom of a buckie bottle without the need for a straw  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:20 pm

affraid 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:43 pm

Oooh Yeah!  Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 pm

There are so many amazing things out there ! gives you a dizzy head just looking  Very Happy Here's some things made from natural materials.......
Bonzai

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Bonzai1_zpsba27bf63

Rock

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Lion1_zpsae7e98d5

Sand

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Sand1_zps249e1268

Snow

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Snow1_zpsff32bb17

Paper

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Paper1_zps96e36691

Glass

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Glass1_zps71b4cd3c

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Those are all amazing  Shocked 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:25 am

I have seen the lion carving before, but none of the others. Humans can do amazing things when they're not hurting others or causing trouble in general.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:42 am

Neanderthal poo shows cavemen ate their veggies :carrot:

Washington (AFP) - The oldest known Neanderthal poo, uncovered in Spain, shows that cavemen ate not only meat but vegetables :carrot: too, according to a study published on Wednesday.The discovery was made at the archeological site of El Salt, where researchers have found signs that Neanderthals lived some 45,000-60,000 years ago.

The study in the journal PLOS ONE is the first to analyze feces in an attempt to show precisely what kinds of foods our long-extinct kin were eating.

Researchers dug into the sediment and ground the samples to a powder for analysis at a sophisticated Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) lab. They discovered biomarkers in the poo that showed coprostanol, a lipid formed when the gut metabolizes cholesterol, particularly from eating animals.

They also found 5B-stigmastanol, a substance that is made when plants are broken down in the digestive process.:carrot:

That means Neanderthals ate mostly meat, as experts have believed for some time, but that there was also evidence of a considerable amount of plants in their diet, including tubers, :carrot: berries cherry  and nuts. geek 

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 30 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 pm

I assume that excludes Scottish neanderthals.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next