chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 am

There's a theory somewhere that only humans care about the well being of other animals.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am

There's a theory somewhere that only humans care about the well being of other animals.-chris

That might still be true. Maybe the monkey was thinking there might not be much abot to eat for a bit- best take some lunch with me. Very Happy (and the slightly more serious point we have to be careful not to impose a human meaning that might not be there).

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: (and the slightly more serious point we have to be careful not to impose a human meaning that might not be there).
I've learned to be careful of this with humans as well. Rolling Eyes
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:23 pm

David H wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote: (and the slightly more serious point we have to be careful not to impose a human meaning that might not be there).
I've learned to be careful of this with humans as well. Rolling Eyes

Same. David your wardrobe is becoming positively noble and you suit it.

Strange that I saw that picture last night, for when I got up this morning, I usually have to be up by four thirty in the mornng, i turned on the smaller bathroom light and there with beautiful doe eyes open, in her favorite position of peace lay my little Leah , dead. I am sure those of you who are not sensitive in the way i and my family are, will think us morons, but I ran and got Ashley and he came and we stood and wept . We took her, a teddy bear hamster out of charity three years before and loved her and researched everything about all the fresh fruits and veggies they love and made sure she had it all. We talked to her and stroked her luxurious fur. And she was so funny, moving all her furniture in the huge Belgian bird cage we bought her so she would have a great deal of space to wander about it. And it meant so much to us, when we were sad or stressed like I am now as I prepare for the trial into my brother Nelson's suspicous death,(all of us who loved him are positive it was a bad thing because the strangers who had his body cremated and claimed they found a will by him which has been proven false by the court appointed experts for the province) I had only to walk up to her cage and watch her just live and enjoy her life and play and sleep. So it hurt so much and I went and told Trav because I woke him up getting the trowel for Ashley to bury her. And we all waited in worry for when Hasia would see, she has had so much sorrow these past two years.
She went to bathroom in that room and did not notice. Then later she awoke and i put her in my arms and told her. The huge tears fell silently and she hugged me and said very little. Trav has taken her for a walk and to buy an ice cream. The fresh air will help.
And as for all the 'experts Petty dear, notice the P E T T Y, I scarce believe what they say about just anything. They can worry you about this that and the next thing and just when you are resigned to this that and the other thing, they come along and tell you it was not right the whole time.
So I don't know what Leah felt or thought if she did. But she was a part of us and mattered terribly. Sad

Last edited by leelee on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am too sad to care about it.)
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 pm

I got 3 cats leelee and when their time comes I will be pretty upset I am sure. I always say I dont have pets, just 3 flatmates that are cat shaped.
Of course being a scots hobbit there is a reasonable chance the cats will outlast me!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty oddities

Post by leelee Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I got 3 cats leelee and when their time comes I will be pretty upset I am sure. I always say I dont have pets, just 3 flatmates that are cat shaped.
Of course being a scots hobbit there is a reasonable chance the cats will outlast me!
I think you showed at least one in a picture and it was enchanting. Unless like my late brother Nelson you share your buckie with your dear flatmates P E T T Y ( I am terrified of a slip up now Laughing ) I think you will out live them by say fifty human years. I read somewhere, again it might have been a brazen fib, that in Vietnam the bodies of the soldiers from the western world did not even decompose for a long time due to all the additives and all that stuff the soldiers had ingested over the years. So imagine how long you will go on while you yet live to consume buckie. (honestly I just feel like screaming when i hear that tiring word. Don't know why, it is the same feeling that one gets when one hears long nails on the blackboard.)
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 pm

affraid Buckie is the most beautiful word in the language leelee! Its the only one that tastes good (eventually and after the second bottle) and besides as you say there's a chance it might pickle me indefinently. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 am

Leelee, your sadness does you honor.

A wise lady once told me that Sadness is merely one of the flavors of Love.

I've taken comfort in that wisdom more than once.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:18 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:There's a theory somewhere that only humans care about the well being of other animals.-chris

That might still be true. Maybe the monkey was thinking there might not be much abot to eat for a bit- best take some lunch with me. Very Happy (and the slightly more serious point we have to be careful not to impose a human meaning that might not be there).

Humans are strange people, we risk our lives to save animals, then we go home and have a lamb roast.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty can't remember

Post by leelee Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:15 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote: affraid Buckie is the most beautiful word in the language leelee! Its the only one that tastes good (eventually and after the second bottle) and besides as you say there's a chance it might pickle me indefinently. Very Happy

No dear, it is only that you are saying it in a language that does not exist when you are well, you know. But try saying it ten times together, Buck ee, Buck ee, Buck ee, it is harsh and hideous, yes i dare say hideous, already my heart is pounding and I want to run outside in the beautiful rain , smells heavenly, and just scream something else. Perhaps winyard or port or brandy or perhaps milkshake or health shake or distilled water, ANYTHING BUT THAT ..THAT WORD. There now I feel calmer. I am breathing deeply of the fresh air, washed by heavens rains and when I look out my window at the gathering twilight I begin to see Faerie stealing over the valley and there is peace. aahh. You upset me so much there for a moment I was craving haggis, and I detest haggis. Jewish people are not keen on haggis, but if my adopted grannie Mathews made it I would eat it if I perished for it, she was my everything. aaah i think i shall go and make a fragrant cup of tea. Tea, now THAT' s a lovely word.

And you know David, I never ever heard in my whole life the thought that sadness is a form of love. I can see why though, I think there must be some love, however large or small, strong or in shadows that brings on the sadness for the most part. And I am an elf, my whole family are elves, and we all love the works of Tolkien deeply, thank you that makes me feel ever so much better. I almost feel that I don't have to be embarressed that I grieve the way I do. How kind of you. If that wise lady were here I would bow before her and throw my arms about her neck and whisper "Thank you." Please, we need an emoticon of throwing one's arms about another in gratitude. When you fight bears do you ever come across Dwight K Shrute? If I were there though I warn you I would stand between you and any bear.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:54 pm

I see your problem now leelee- its pronouncation. Not buck-ee. But buck-y, to rhyme with 'lucky'.
See? Now isnt' that better- imagine how much more better you'd feel if you were actually drinking it. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:39 pm

leelee wrote: If I were there though I warn you I would stand between you and any bear.

Leelee, I'd like to reassure you that, despite the title bestowed upon my by Eldo (which I'm rather fond of ), the bears around here are my friends and neighbors. Like all neighbors we sometimes have differences of opinion, but we always differ respectfully. I've never harmed a bear, nor have they harmed me.

If you and I ever meet a bear together, I'd recommend you stand beside or behind me rather than between us. I suspect I speak more fluent bear language than you. (On the other hand you are an elf, so I could be wrong.... Smile )
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty oddities, meaning we members

Post by leelee Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm

I am an Elf David, but i will take your advice. In Banff National Park, my friend Julie and i used to go there from Calgary and i must admit we usually got lost when trying to find a favorite restaurant or playhouse or whatever. That was because of the street names. When someone tells you to go down beaver avenue, turn left at badger cresc , down to bear st then over to wolverine, well....At any rate we got very lost and of course we would meet a bear. Knowing they can outrun and kill us (brown and black bears and grizzly.) We instantly forgot all we ever were taught and screamed so loud the bear stood up and sniffed and then dropped down and took off. So, Elf or no I'm right behind you David and thank you.
My little brother who died a bit ago was a wild life conservationist after tiring of being a chef for years. He was above the timber line and it was not exactly good for him since he and the other lads had nothing to do at night except play cards or have car races on the ice, totally drunk. So i think not much wore off them when they went into the helicopters at day and went in search of animals to rescue, mostly bear or other cubs whose mothers had died. He was afraid of nothing and would 'talk' to the bears and other wild animals. I saw it for myself when he moved down south. He was amazing and cougars and horses and wild birds took to him instantly. I somehow did not inherit that. However dogs did and still do love me on sight and cats, why I have no idea. they follow me home and .....And Trav is like that with birds. There was a crow that used to wait on a telephone pole for him to come out and he would fly just above him to work and back, for two seasons i think then it never came again. I suppose you are gifted like that too?
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:11 pm

David H wrote:Leelee, your sadness does you honor.

Yeah, I believe so too. Not that nodding my head and saying: "yeah, what she said" makes me look all that wise though. Wink
There is no shame in being sad.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

that's why Voldemort lost. He didn't know what love was, therefor he didn't know what power lay in sorrow and mourning, anger, revenge and happiness.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Colour10
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 am

Amarië wrote: Not that nodding my head and saying: "yeah, what she said" makes me look all that wise though. Wink

I'd like to suggest that there's at least some wisdom in being able to recognize wisdom when we hear it. Nod
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 am

But only if you care for that kind of thing. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 11 Empty oddities

Post by leelee Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:55 pm

Amarië wrote:

Yeah, I believe so too. Not that nodding my head and saying: "yeah, what she said" makes me look all that wise though. Wink

Am , is there anyone out there, and I mean it, who is as calm and caring and comforting and down to earth as you? You always comfort me, always.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 am

New observations from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory suggest that a black hole is being ejected from its host galaxy at several million miles per hour.
The finding could mean that there are many giant black holes that are roaming around undetected out in the vast spaces between galaxies.
More data from the ground-based Magellan and Very Large Telescopes in Chile helped supply a spectrum that suggests the two sources in CID-42 are moving apart at a speed of at least 3 million miles per hour.
“The previous data told us that there was something special going on, but we couldn’t tell if there were two black holes or just one,” another co-author Martin Elvis, also of CfA, said in a press release. “We needed new X-ray data to separate the sources.”
The team used Chandra’s High Resolution Camera to show that X-rays were coming only from one of the sources. The team believes that when the two galaxies collided, the supermassive black holes in the center of each galaxy also collided.
The two black holes then merged to form a single black hole that recoiled from gravitational waves produced by the collision, which gave the newly merged black hole a sufficiently large kick for it to eventually escape from the galaxy."- redorbit

My mind just freaks thinking of stuff like this. The sheer scale and speed of it.
Its so easy to forget with our short lives and way we perceive time that all those stars and arn't just sitting there or slowly moving- we're hurting along in the aftereffects of huge cosmic scale explosions and impacts at million sof miles an hour. Or we are rushing towards upcomong ones in a dynamic fast moving universe.

Its weird, exciting and scary all at ones. Bit like Doctor Who!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 pm

yes, he can feel it. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 pm

How weird and cool would that be! Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:07 am

leelee wrote:
Amarië wrote:

Am , is there anyone out there, and I mean it, who is as calm and caring and comforting and down to earth as you? You always comfort me, always.

Embarassed Well, it makes silly, stubborn, short tempered me very happy to know I can brighten someone's day a bit. Kissing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:12 am

Mars rover Curiosity safely lands on Mars

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0806-mars-curiosity-rover-landing-20120806,0,2608752.story
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm

http://news.discovery.com/space/nasa-mars-science-lab-lands-120806.html#mkcpgn=fbdsc17

Watched it live on TV, was quite exciting.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next