Mrs Figg
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Harry Potter [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Harry Potter [2]

Post by Bluebottle Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 am

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Yeah.. do I even want to get into the details of this..? scratch

I wouldn't recommend it except to people who already care about Harry Potter and are either completionists or want to form their own opinion since there has been a significant gulf between the overwhelmingly positive critical reviews and the majority fan response (at least among online fans).

It has some nice parts and some okay parts but on the whole I did not enjoy reading it. I thought the story depended heavily on contrivance and it lacked the richness and sense of depth that's always been one of the things I liked about Harry Potter. I'm sure actually seeing the play would go some way towards resolving this, though the relatively small cast and small number of things that happen would remain. (I say relative compared to the novels; I don't know much about plays but this appears to be a large and lavish production by theatrical standards, but I think it was inevitably gonna be thin compared to the richness a novel allows.) Scorpius was a pretty cool character but other than him, Albus, and Delphi most of the characters are established ones from the novels and I felt that much of the characterization there was inferior to what came before. I would have preferred a story that was less dependent on previous plots and characters, both because of my dislike of retcons and because it's more interesting to me than retreading old material.

Some of the dialogue (which Rowling appears to have had little to no involvement with) is pretty cringeworthy IMO but I've read other fan responses from people who liked it so Shrugging

So, a bit like Legend of Korra then? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:50 pm

It did feel a lot like my experience with Korra except that I actually loved Korra for the first half or so of Book 1. The Avatar continuation comics would be a closer analogy. No
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Oh, that's a shame, I've only read the first couple of pages of that and was kind of liking it. Neutral

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 am

I mean, don't let me stop you from trying and potentially enjoying them yourself, but I thought they were awful. Razz Undid a ton of characterization and then essentially did a retread of Book 3, at least in the first one (The Promise). All just my opinion, of course. The next ones got progressively better but not enough for me to keep reading them after Korra ended and my Avatar fandom went on the backburner.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 pm

Pottermore is releasing three e-books in September that combine some of the writing that Rowling has published on the site as well as some previously unseen stuff. She has previously said that the HP encyclopedia project was superseded by Pottermore so this is probably the closest we'll get to the encyclopedia.

https://www.pottermore.com/news/how-pottermore-concocted-pottermore-presents

I've been deeply unimpressed by much of the Pottermore material (and Cursed Child has me veering towards a more minimalist approach to the Potter "canon" in general) so I'll be passing, but I figured some people on here might be interested.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Reading all this it seems like Cursed Child headed in the same direction that Tolkien's abandoned sequel (the New Shadow) did: with all the glory gone the story descends into banality. Tolkien actually had street gangs in Minas Tirith. But he also had the wisdom to realize what was happening and abandon it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:19 am

Harry Potter [2] - Page 2 F8c6a13bd4ec445b9d28a6487f3492a2?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=284f1e1ac1b65bd5c419b11e0695d429

Laughing Razz :facepalm:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:16 pm

malickfan wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:Hermione. Why? why did they feel the necessity? I would refuse to watch it just because of the pc idiot casting.

In fairness I don't think there's anything in the books that definitely confirms her as white Shrugging
There's the 10 years of movies with a white actress playing the part that kind of nails it down, though Shrugging

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Harry Potter [2] - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:18 pm

I got HPCC for my birthday for some reason. I liked the books but I'm not  huge fan or anything.

Anyway, I was expecting good things from this one, given the glowing endorsement by Rowling on the book jacket. But, having read it, I can honestly say, without hyperbole, that it's the worst thing I've ever read Mad I've seen it compared to the fan fiction project "My Immortal" which I haven't read but I've read a little about it and the comparison seems apt.

I don't care how good the play is. The script SUCKS. Are there any other ways I can emphasize that? I frankly can't believe Rowling put her name on this.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Radaghast wrote:I got HPCC for my birthday for some reason. I liked the books but I'm not  huge fan or anything.

Anyway, I was expecting good things from this one, given the glowing endorsement by Rowling on the book jacket. But, having read it, I can honestly say, without hyperbole, that it's the worst thing I've ever read Mad I've seen it compared to the fan fiction project "My Immortal" which I haven't read but I've read a little about it and the comparison seems apt.

I don't care how good the play is. The script SUCKS. Are there any other ways I can emphasize that? I frankly can't believe Rowling put her name on this.

Yeah my initial reaction wasn't great, but I thought after a few weeks of mulling it over I'd have become more forgiving of its flaws...nope, if anything it seems even worse, it may well be a visually stunning, strongly acted play, but on paper the story reads like badly written, hollow, derivative and frankly, pointless, fan fiction, and the script isn't much better.

The best thing I can say about it is...at least it's killed the likelihood of another sequel...

It's not entirely clear how much of the story Rowling came up with but you do have to wonder if she was just in the right place and the right time when she came up with Potter, I've heard good things about her detective novels, but with every new detail or story she releases regarding Potter I just feel less and less interested, the seven books were fine the way they are, and unlike Tolkien, Rowling's World Building wasn't massively detailed or interesting...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I hate it. I wish I could just expunge it from my memory altogether. I don't hate the idea of revisiting the world of HP, just don't regurgitate old stuff. Do something new and don't let any old hack write it. This guy, Jack Thorne, judging by CC, is terrible. And I'm not just talking about ideas; his writing ability itself looks bad.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:its not the fact its a Black actor, its the fact of the pc revisionism that irks me. It just takes me out of the moment if for, you know, 10 years, Hermione has been White with bushy brown hair. You may as well make Harry Potter Chinese. why would you do that?
About that...

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 am

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/warner-bros-rumored-to-make-cursed-child-a-film-trilogy-starring-daniel-radcliffe-105196/

Don't do it Daniel, you are better than that!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:53 pm

Shocked  Daniel must be having a nostalgic moment, I can understand that, he spent most of his life as Harry. it must be tempting to go back to that world, Mind you I think a lot of us want to go back to that world that's why we read C-Child, but it looks like the magic has gone. No haven't read it and I don't want to.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Shocked  Daniel must be having a nostalgic moment, I can understand that, he spent most of his life as Harry. it must be tempting to go back to that world, Mind you I think a lot of us want to go back to that world that's why we read C-Child, but it looks like the magic has gone. No haven't read it and I don't want to.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother if I were you, maybe wait and see if they release a dvd of the stage show, as crap as the story is, I am rather curious as to how it works on stage, the descriptions in the script are very vague and I've heard good things about the CC cast...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:15 pm

I've usually found it impossible to judge how a play works based on the script.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:59 pm

malickfan wrote:Yeah my initial reaction wasn't great, but I thought after a few weeks of mulling it over I'd have become more forgiving of its flaws...nope, if anything it seems even worse, it may well be a visually stunning, strongly acted play, but on paper the story reads like badly written, hollow, derivative and frankly, pointless, fan fiction, and the script isn't much better.

The best thing I can say about it is...at least it's killed the likelihood of another sequel...

The passage of a month-plus worth of time has not improved Cursed Child for me either. Feels kinda strange after all these years to not want more HP but I kinda agree. Not that I was super-hyped for Fantastic Beasts to begin with, but it's hard to feel excited about it. I'm sure I'll still go see it and probably be more excited just from the buzz and the whole theatre-going experience, but still.

It's not entirely clear how much of the story Rowling came up with but you do have to wonder if she was just in the right place and the right time when she came up with Potter, I've heard good things about her detective novels, but with every new detail or story she releases regarding Potter I just feel less and less interested, the seven books were fine the way they are, and unlike Tolkien, Rowling's World Building wasn't massively detailed or interesting...

I have mixed feelings regarding Rowling's world-building. I guess I'm kind of spoiled by having spent so long delving into Tolkien's works since there are very few other works that I feel are even remotely comparable to the scope, depth, and consistency that Tolkien managed. But HP sorta stands out as especially inconsistent and non-sensical compared to the average. On the other hand, though, the milieu of Hogwarts has always been a huge part of the appeal of the books for me and I do find the glimpses of the broader world beyond it interesting within the context of the books, even if I have to stop myself from thinking too hard about it. That said, as I've gotten older I've felt more and more that the most impressive aspect of HP and the biggest reason for its success (or at least why I like it so much) is the characters.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:02 am

I used to think the HP books were literally magical.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNnv_g9h4k

Ah...um...errr.... Way over the top. It feels like too much effects and not enough affect: where's the story?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 am

Er, magical street battles in the middle of NYC? And apparently none of the Muggles (er, no-majs) remember it, given that magic is still a secret during the time period of HP? And Newt's magical beast adventure involves fighting against American wizard-fascists allied with Grindelwald. Should be ... interesting, to say the least.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am

Looks meh. Skip.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:49 pm

So apparently Rowling and WB are pulling a a PJ (or "a James Cameron" might be more accurate) and planning not just three Fantastic Beasts but five. Laughing

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-expands-to-five-films-and-more-movie-news/

Rotten Tomatoes editorial wrote:A few years ago, when Warner Bros first announced their plans to spinoff J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter franchise with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the plan (as the world knew it) was for there to be three movies, forming a new trilogy. Along the way, we also learned the release dates for those three films, which are for the first movie (next month, on November 18, 2016), the second (11/16/18), and the third (11/20/20). Well, just as Disney is planning on producing Marvel and Star Wars movies for the indefinite future, it is now looking like Warner Bros definitely has long-term plans for the “Potterverse” as well. This week, at a fan event in London, Warner Bros revealed that instead of just three Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, there will now be five.  Warner Bros did not reveal the release dates for the 4th and 5th films, but following the pattern of the first three films, it looks like they might be released in November of the years 2022 and 2024, just before Thanksgiving each of those years. Director David Yates also revealed that the second film, which will start production soon, will be set in “another global capital city” after the first film was set in New York City. (Though we should point out, New York City is not… a capital city. The capital of New York is Albany!) Eddie Redmayne will star in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them as wizard author Newt Scamander, and he is expected to also star in the four sequels.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-five-movies-1201888226/

Announcement at approximately 50:20 in the video below.

My guess is that WB is feeling the heat from Batman v Superman underperforming box office expectations and being a critical and audience dud, but who knows. I'd say this increases the probability of a Middle-earth spinoff movie (or, more likely, spinoff movie series Razz) being announced in the next five years. Rangers, Gollums, and Where to Find Them, starring Orlando Bloom, coming 2026!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:58 pm

I know that I was skeptical of the studio armtwisting rumors about PJ since most of the stuff people blamed WB for were pretty in keeping with PJ's tendencies as a filmmaker. But in this case, poking around a bit, Rowling is on record as crediting WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara with being the prime mover responsible for making Fantastic Beasts happen. From an interview she gave to The New York Times for a profile on Tsujihara:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/business/media/warners-ceo-is-bullish-on-the-big-screen.html

Convincing the famously independent Ms. Rowling to dive back into film was a coup. “When I say he made ‘Fantastic Beasts’ happen, it isn’t P.R.-speak but the literal truth,” Ms. Rowling said in response to emailed questions. “We had one dinner, a follow-up telephone call, and then I got out the rough draft that I’d thought was going to be an interesting bit of memorabilia for my kids and started rewriting!”
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:05 am

Good news, Figgs, David Yates is planning on directing all five of the Fantastic Beasts films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-is-a-political-allegory-tease-writers-946638?facebook_20161113

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:27 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I used to think the HP books were literally magical.
If those books weren't actually magical, then I don't know what "magic" means! Smuggling the next title home in my book-bag past my disapproving parents and opening it up to the first page in the secrecy of my own room was one of the most joyful feelings of my entire childhood.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next