malickfan
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Harry Potter [2] - Page 3 Empty Re: Harry Potter [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:51 pm

{{{whats that I hear? - 'mooo argggh! mooooo argh!!!'- oh yes its the sound of a cash cow being milked to death! Laughing }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{whats that I hear? - 'mooo argggh! mooooo argh!!!'- oh yes its the sound of a cash cow being milked to death! Laughing  }}}}

And 53 years of Doctor Who isn't? Suspect

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:32 pm

So that's where she got the milk for souffle...

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Despite knowing the release date for ages Fantastic Beasts has kinda snuck up on me and I was surprised to realize there's only two days left until it premiers. Well, technically it opens on Friday but they're doing preview screenings as early as 6 PM the day before. HP was the only thing I ever went to a midnight release for (both the final book and the final movie) but those days seem to be behind us now. Razz Almost all of the reviews so far have been positive, though I'm not getting too excited since I disagreed with the overwhelming consensus among theatre critics on Cursed Child. Though FWIW the reviews have not been as adulatory this time around.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:So that's where she got the milk for souffle...

Razz

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 pm

{{{{ Laughing That is a good one Forest. Very Happy

And 53 years of Doctor Who isn't?- Malick

Nope. Difference is Who is basically the same show, about the same character as when it started. This is an attempt to draw out more material only tangentially related to the main tale because the main tale was popular.
You could however make the claim of Who's spin off shows!}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 pm

" This is an attempt to draw out more material only tangentially related to the main tale because the main tale was popular" Petty...

Are we talking about The Hobbit ??

Harry Potter [2] - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Harry Potter [2] - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Just watched Fanastic beasts - some scenes dragged out too much, no big fan of chasing and running-around scenes that last forever. Apart from that and
Spoiler:
I liked it. In fact I enjoyed it more than any HP movie except perhaps HP 1 and 2, but that's probably due to absence of source material to shit on.

Harry Potter [2] - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:35 pm

malickfan wrote:Good news, Figgs, David Yates is planning on directing all five of the Fantastic Beasts films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-is-a-political-allegory-tease-writers-946638?facebook_20161113

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:I used to think the HP books were literally magical.
If those books weren't actually magical, then I don't know what "magic" means! Smuggling the next title home in my book-bag past my disapproving parents and opening it up to the first page in the secrecy of my own room was one of the most joyful feelings of my entire childhood.

Laughing I felt the same only I was at least 35. Embarassed they put a spell on me. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:39 pm

malickfan wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{whats that I hear? - 'mooo argggh! mooooo argh!!!'- oh yes its the sound of a cash cow being milked to death! Laughing  }}}}

And 53 years of Doctor Who isn't? Suspect

Laughing true
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:41 pm

I might go and watch it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:32 am

I saw Fantastic Beasts during its US opening weekend but my mom wanted to go see it too and she's always shared a lot of my HP fandom with me (we saw all of the HP movies together, most of them on opening day, starting with the first one when I was seven), so I saw it again yesterday. I thought it was an enjoyable ride, though I'm not sure if it's a movie I'll see again in the foreseeable future. We'll see how I feel in two years when the sequel comes out, I suppose. I really like the four main characters (Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob) and the beasts are cool (though they weren't quite as impressive the second time around). The plot is kinda ... unremarkable, but it gives the characters lots of nice moments with each other. Not a big fan of the ending and was unable to suspend my disbelief enough to fully immerse myself in the world. Like, this is an issue with HP if you try to think about the worldbuilding, but I think it was more blatant here...

Spoiler:

But that little voice in the back of my head notwithstanding, but I did enjoy the film. Not enough to sway me from my post-Cursed Child policy of blocking everything but the original books from my mind when re-reading them, but enough that I'll stick with the series.

Side-note: if the plan of releasing five Fantastic Beasts movies is followed through on, and they stick with the mid-November slot (WB has already staked a claim to that weekend in 2018 for the first sequel) then we will have seen a new HP/FB or LOTR/TH movie at least once every two years from 2001 through at least 2024.

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:18 am

Sheesh, that's one heck of a side note Eldo.

I too saw the movie. I too enjoyed the characters. And I too have to admit that the story was rather bland. I was also bothered by the lack of wizard security. It was pretty dumb!

I was often a tad underwhelmed by some of the obvious CGI in the Potter films, not because it was necessarily bad, but rather because I wouldn't be able to connect emotionally to what I was watching. The music would swell and follow some little twisting bit of CGI as it left the actors behind, and I would feel rather bland about the whole thing and wish for the camera to turn back to the people instead of following this bizarre little magical thing as it bounced around.

That same sort of thing happens a bit in this movie. Some of the Fantastic Beasts were certainly fun and interesting, but every once in a while I would be reminded of that old feeling of disconnection.

I was disappointed in how little we learned about Ezra Miller's character. I know how well-suited he is to portraying disturbed and angsty teenagers (We Need to Talk About Kevin and The Perks of Being a Wallflower), but that whole side of the story was under-developed, I feel.

By the by, what did you-know-who (not that you-knowwho!) say at the end? I missed that line.

Spoiler:

Overall though I did have a lot of fun watching the movie.
Spoiler:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:41 am

RE: your spoiler

Spoiler:

I too enjoyed much of the humor in the film. I don't think I've seen any of Eddie Redmayne's other films, but I quite enjoyed his portrayal and based on the allusions to his backstory I look forward to learning more about Newt in the sequels.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:48 pm

I was always interested in this movie as it is written by Rowling, although that view have taken some damage from the reception of the Cursed Child on here. Razz

Think I'll try to get around to see it though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I was always interested in this movie as it is written by Rowling, although that view have taken some damage from the reception of the Cursed Child on here. Razz

Think I'll try to get around to see it though.

Well, the reception of the Cursed Child on here isn't much different from anywhere else. I haven't read all of it, but I read enough of plot summaries and excerpts to know I didn't need to buy the thing. Fantastic Beasts, on the other hand, I went in to see with few to no expectations, and I liked it alot. Like I said on the previous page, it has the advantage that it doesn't have a book to ruin. Well worth a visit to the movies anyway Smile

Edit: On second thought, Cursed Child has that very same advantage. Haven't seen the play of course, but the script looks horrible. My comparison is most relevant to the HP films series, and in case you've forgotten, I can't stand those Smile

Harry Potter [2] - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up, think I'll definitely try to see it Smile

And I know just who to take Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:14 pm

I don't have anth majorly against the Harry Potter movies, apart from the far to numerous changes that goes with the changes in producers/directors. But, that said, I struggle to watch any of them. Particularly in the later books, there's just to damn much story to tell n a three hour movie, they all end up pale imitations. With some good points, admittedly. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:06 am

I think one of the reasons I liked Fantastic Beasts better than Cursed Child is that it didn't have any established characters to fuck with (other than Grindelwald who we know fairly little about). But I also think that part of the reason it's a better story is that it has more of its own identity instead of rehashing old ground. And despite this being Rowling's screenwriting debut, the dialogue here is so much better than in Cursed Child (where she did not write the script).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:08 am

Bluebottle wrote:Thanks for the heads up, think I'll definitely try to see it Smile

And I know just who to take Very Happy

Ooh la la :brows:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Indeed Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Eldorion wrote:I think one of the reasons I liked Fantastic Beasts better than Cursed Child is that it didn't have any established characters to fuck with (other than Grindelwald who we know fairly little about). But I also think that part of the reason it's a better story is that it has more of its own identity instead of rehashing old ground. And despite this being Rowling's screenwriting debut, the dialogue here is so much better than in Cursed Child (where she did not write the script).

Interesting that she didn't write the play. I guess with the mixed reaction it received on here, I subconciously elected to, without much actual effort, stay away from as much information dealing with it as possible. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:19 pm

hm...is fantastic beasts worth a movie ticket? Hard to say. Could wait until it comes out on Netflix.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Honestly, the more I think about Fantastic Beasts the more I like it, which is the opposite of a lot of blockbusters for me. I'd recommend seeing it if you have any interest in HP or even fantasy in general (which I assume includes you, halfy Razz), though if you're not trying to stay on top of the latest fandom chatter there's not necessarily any reason to see it now as opposed to on Netflix later. I saw it in IMAX* the second time and that experience is always impressive, but I don't think FB specifically really has visuals that demand to be seen on the biggest screen possible.

*Well, LieMAX, which doesn't hold a candle to the genuine article, but is still head and shoulders above the conventional theatrical experience.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next