Mrs Figg
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Empty Re: Harry Potter [2]

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Verily, the Hobbit films are works of sheer brilliance I tell you! Cool

And the Harry Potter films vary a bit, but by and large they range from moderately above average to great.

Whatever sayeth you, I sayeth the opposite! Very Happy

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 pm

This debate deserves Petty, but he doesn't check the Harry Potter thread.

It's hard to separate the damage the films do to the original story from their stand-alone value as films. I thought the HP films did a good job of capturing the spirit of the original, where with the Hobbit films you have to jot down notes of general plot elements on paper before you can see the similarities.

But putting source material aside....err....I'll have to come back after a couple hours of deep meditation.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm

{{ Mad I'm here a page ago! How dare you doubt the crabbit ability to sniff out GB's liberal love of all things PJ from a mile away? Even drunk drunken  In fact, especially drunk! drunken drunken I may not frequent this corner of Forumshire much, but I can smell his liberal PJ loving words, they smell suspiciously similar to pipe-weed Suspect 

And as its obviously inconceivable that TH films could be argued for in any sensible fashion, even by GB himself, I have to this point assumed it to be more in jest, I hope Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:50 pm

No, I think he's serious. pale

I think if you were thoroughly sauced and forgot any connection may exist to the actual Hobbit, you may be able to enjoy the films the way you enjoy anything where things 'splode and you are in proper delerium to appreciate them going boom.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Lol Laughing

The Hobbit movies have pretty much everything that is in the original book.

So it's got a lot of extra stuff like the White Council, and Radagast, and Gandalf going to Dol Guldur, and the fight with the Necromancer, and Azog, and Tauriel, etc... So what? No, seriously? So what?

If the movies had left out a whole load of stuff, you might have something legit to complain about. Razz

Methinks you could use a little pipeweed to chill out!  Very Happy  

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Main-qimg-7f9d65f10ebf87395e7733faa0db1727

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Main-qimg-ed0eb8468a2b4cd5ab229a078e506f1c

There now, doesn't that feel better? 👼

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

The extra stuff would be great if it wasn't all perversions of what it should be.

Was the famous, epic White Council really just 4 people sitting around insulting each other in slow motion?

Would the real Radagast really have a sled pulled by bunny rabbits?

Would a beautiful elf really fall in love with a third-string dwarf?

Azog packed all the bad-guy tropes smashed together for no other reason than somebody seemed to think a perilous journey wasn't challenge enough. Here, let's make the most obvious bad guy ever seen. Not gauche at all.

Did the sandworms bust through from the thin wall separating middle earth from the Dune universe?

Yes, the Boar added SO MUCH to the dignity of Dain.

Too tired to continue...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm

The Hobbit movies left out a lot. Mad

Magic, charm, enchantment, and coloured hoods with silver tassels for a start.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:00 am

{{There is also screwing up Bilbo's character arc from the word go, screwing up Thorins character, backstory, personality and arc throughout, the appalling cameo from Legolas that all but ruins the entire narrative by turning it into a superman/cartoon film. Its horribly paced, edited and directed, PJ's worst work behind a camera probably ever. It has dialogue that is not only utterly inappropriate in a Tolkien adaptation , its the audible equivalent of being repeatedly kicked in the balls, only slightly more painful. Tonally it doesn't know what sort of film it wants to be moment to moment and veers all over the shop with no pattern or consistency. It doesn't know what character it wants to focus on or when and so doesn't do any of them any justice. The plotting is diabolical with entire sequences seemingly invented at the last minute to account for the consist shifts in production. Its a god awful mess of a film on every conceivable level.
And those are the films best points!  Mad Mad Mad }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 am

Beorn, for me, looked like a "Street Fighter" game reject. If that was meant to be half bear than Im the Queen of England. No natural suspense & tummy tingles that you would get in real life IF your creeping about, trying to escape, as Bilbo & the Dwarves ( them things are Dwarves ?? ) were doing in the "Barrels" sequence. Hang me I thought I was playing a playstation game, all I needed was the "tring-a-ling" & points to add up in the corner of the screen. How it all veered off onto the side of the baddies & I don't mean Smaug. Azog ? Bolg ? anything slimy & reptile looking. AND I got cheesed off with the so called secret stealthy sneaking that Bilbo SHOULD have done when he 1st meets Smaug. Bilbo was meant to be invisible, as I remember didn't he twice have to go down a tunnel to creep in & how he felt the warmth & glow coming off Smaug. Ive got to repeat Pettys observation about Legolas who wasn't even there & his dynamic "Space Invaders" clambering over point scoring blocks ! well done that man ! Your on to the next level Smile No, I cant do this to myself, Ive got over once & Im not going back. The film was shit from start to finish, NO redeeming features AT ALL ! It was the biggest travesty of the year. The only bit I enjoyed was the ending when the credits rolled up. Aidan Turner still thought he was playing Poldark funny man *tutt* & as for the rest of the Dwarves ( really ? were they ? ) you think that ex council housing rabble could pass as aged, experienced, world wise Dwarves ?? only if your on medication can they. Why ? why invent an Elf from "World of Warcraft" that was NEVER in the original story ?? I cant get my head round the fact that so much utter dross had to be included when there was enough to begin with from the original book. If its not racy enough for you feck off & do a film about...I dunno...King Kong ?...…..

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am

Hello Gandalf's Beard Smile We haven't been introduced have we, nice to meet you Wave

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm

Lol! Very Happy

Greetings Azriel! It's nice to meet you too! Wave

Aaaand I see I am outnumbered as usual. Laughing

All I have to say is that you lot clearly don't know how to have a good time. Razz

The films are what they are, and what they are is fun, and they work splendidly on their own terms.

Harry Potter [2] - Page 7 HBD33FC3E

Anyway, to be a bit more serious, surely, if you're that fussed about it, someone with the talent and the right software could do a fan re-edit of the films to get the movie you want. Eru knows there is plenty of material to work with.

Petty, didn't you do a fan re-edit of LotR once upon a time? Or was that someone else?

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

{{I did indeed make those edits Gb and have done same for TH films- but although I can polish a turd it's still a turd. Mad

And I can't see what is fun about those films even if you were a small child- too boring, rambly and without focus for that, characters are not explored enough to be fun or interesting, the action sequences lack any sense of danger or peril or threat and you need that suspense to have fun. As is they are just long, boring sequences of inconsequential nonsense without point. Those films just don't have a redeeming factor. They are awful examples of film  making and atrocious examples of adaptation and a disgrace to Tolkien's work, openly insulting his writing, style and sensibilities with PJ's crude and lowbrow own. Evil or Very Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:25 pm

The thing that made my blood boil most, and there was a lot to choose from, was Galadriel in Dol Guldur. THAT was unforgivable. No from her great naked flapping feet to the ludicrous ugly horror effects, to swinging Gandalf round like a gigantic dolly, jeez it was bad. Mad they made her look ugly and silly. cant bear to watch it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:42 pm

I don't remember that scene very well, but I was very much looking forward to seeing Galadriel cast Sauron out of Dol Goldur (I also had this confused with her throwing down the walls of Dol Goldur later).   I wanted to see her being a complete bad-ass.  But the scene disappointed me.  Probably my preconceptions - Galadriel's usually pretty laid back; but in my view when she up and DECIDES to be a badass, there's no doubt who's gonna win.  She just up and slaps folks into line. The fact that later on during the War of the Ring she actually cast down the fortress of Dol Gulder itself shows that she's not a bitch you can mess with when she's got her dander up.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 pm

The thing that perplexed me was the way she looked evil when demonstrating her power, they made her power look evil, that was unforgivable. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Ah, now I remember. that wasn't right. They showed her being badass, but not the right kind of badass. I went back and watched clips of it: at first when she flipped off the orc it was about right, then she looked uncertain and not at all badass when the nazgul showed up. Finally when Sauron showed up she turned into evil badass bitch instead of righteous badass bitch. Ruined it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 pm

..and then she twittered and fainted when her 'hero' Elrond shows up Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Rolling Eyes

It was Galadriel who later threw down the walls of Dol Goldur.  Sure, Celeborn showed up first and did some house cleaning by way of chasing all the orcses out (ho-hum guy stuff), but to really make shit go 'boom!' you need Galadriel.  Elrond doesn't figure into it.  At least they had her be the one to kick Sauron out, so they realized she was the key figure, I'll give them that.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 pm

She would have kicked him out with beauty and majesty, but PJ ruined it. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 am

Peter Hitchens illuminating take on Harry Potter (and the Deathly Hallows):

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/books/review/Hitchens-t.html

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am

https://www.facebook.com/ForReadingAddicts/videos/2013040568991871/

I may not go all ga ga over HP but this cake is too good to break into Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 am

Bluebottle wrote:Peter Hitchens illuminating take on Harry Potter (and the Deathly Hallows):

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/books/review/Hitchens-t.html

Interesting read Nod

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:07 pm

{{ Not my area of expertise, in any case, but for those who follow the Harry Potter fan scene it might be of interest, from Council of Geeks whose creator and presenter is Trans, and who I've been subscribed to for long time, good Who content, well worth a look. Nod }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:54 pm

This comes down to how much research is done.

The way things were portrayed in the media, a woman was forced out of her job simply for saying a man can't be changed into a woman.  This is chromosonally correct and from this video it's clear that a trans man can't always disguise his former maleness.

But upon the further research done by the narrator, the finding of the jobs bureau was that this woman would insist on pointing such things out even if they caused considerable discomfort to her co-workers.  

JK Rowling seemed to be basing her statement on the incomplete media portrayal. As would most people.  This is unfair to the employer who we should expect to only take such a drastic step when the actual work environment is under real threat, but I think it's the way the vast majority of the population reads news.

So I wouldn't say Rowling's statement is transphobic so much as the same lazy acceptance of the media story that most of us tend to do.  The rule should be that if something sets off alarm bells about behavior, we should dig deeper to get the whole story.  Most people are reasonable and if they seem not to be it may be because of other unreasonable people that you may not have been alerted to on a first pass.

The presenter digs up what is referred to as a "history" of tranphobia, but to me they look more like chances to not be neutral, but Rowling remained neutral.  By "neutral" I mean the idea that a trans man should be treated like a woman, but not ask the population to believe she actually physically IS a woman.  

I believe the presenter fully is a woman inside, but must grasp the realism of the situation: everyone who looks and hears will see a trans man rather than a woman.  It's not racist to say a black man is a black man so long as he's treated no different than a white man.  I'd say the same here about what the presenter claims to be transphobia.  The key is that you should feel no reason to bring it up as it shouldn't make a difference.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Sounds like name-calling, but I'm not going to look deeper into it than that.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next