Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm

that's lovely Ringo!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: Harry Potter [2]

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm

I put a lamp behind it so the windows would show - going to have to get some sort of light to put in it when it's done Smile it really is a wonderful set

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:07 pm

That is lovely Ringo Smile comes alive with the stain glass being lit up. Reminds me of all the fun I had with my Lego, many moons ago. Bloody archaic really ! It was so simple back then & none of the fancy stuff you get now. But, I played with it constantly. Good old Lego Smile

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Lego10

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 pm

My nerd project is finished - loved building it. Placed it on the top of a shelf, the only thing that could (almost) fit the damn thing (except the tables, of course, but I need those for stacking beer cans). The castle looks great and is incredibly detailed - a beautiful set, simply put.

Off topic/side note: bought the drawing of the fisherman a couple of years back because it looks awesome and I want to keep it as a memory of my time up north when I move south again.

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Img_1311

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:44 pm

This is kind of wonderful: Daniel Radcliffe and J.K. Rowling having a conversation/interview with each other.

Early on Rowling mentions her first 'meeting' with Emma Watson was a phone interview where she came across perfectly as the sort of geeky awkward character she had imagined for Hermione. Then upon meeting her in person she was somewhat dismayed to find out she was actually a beautiful little girl, but "oh well, it's Hollywood." Cute.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

halfwise wrote:This is kind of wonderful: Daniel Radcliffe and J.K. Rowling having a conversation/interview with each other.

Early on Rowling mentions her first 'meeting' with Emma Watson was a phone interview where she came across perfectly as the sort of geeky awkward character she had imagined for Hermione.  Then upon meeting her in person she was somewhat dismayed to find out she was actually a beautiful little girl, but "oh well, it's Hollywood."   Cute.

Reminds of something Alfonso Cuaron (director of the Prisoner of Azkaban film) said (paraphrased), when he signed on as director he met Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint and asked them to each write an essay from their characters point of view, explaining their motives, worries etc, each actor respond true to character, Emma Watson apparently turned in a very lengthy multiple page essay just like Hermione would, Daniel Radcliffe did a few pages...whereas Rupert Grint didn't bother, Cuaron asked him why ''Ron would either forget or wouldn't bother to do it'' Cuaron later commented this was when he realised they all understood their characters perfectly Laughing

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Very Happy

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 am

{{I saw that Fantastic Beasts film the other night, my better half wanted to watch it and I couldn't think up a good enough excuse on the spot to escape, so I had to watch it too. Mad

Was this written by Rowling?- it has her trademark ie it rips off other stuff and this one is basically Doctor Who!
The main character acts like a Doctor (bit like 11 in fact who he also resembles physically and in appearence ) uses his wand for pretty much all the same plot device things the sonic is used for and he has a box that's bigger on the inside.
Oh and the bad guy, Grindwald I think, is basically the Master causing chaos in the background. Even right down to his love of disguises. So very Rowling, just nick some stuff and slap magic and some made up words on top of it.

As a film it was, ok it happened then it was finished and I wasn't horribly offended by anything, but nor was i ever excited or particularly interested in anything either. Its the sort of film Id recommend watching on a rainy day when your half asleep on the couch or in bed and it comes on tv, and its too much effort to change the channel. That's about the best I can say for it really. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{this one is basically Doctor Who!
The main character acts like a Doctor (bit like 11 in fact who he also resembles physically and in appearence ) uses his wand for pretty much all the same plot device things the sonic is used for and he has a box that's bigger on the inside. }}

That's much higher praise than anything I've seen in the Dr Who thread recently.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:59 pm

{True- but not of Who in general just the current series.
Out of curiosity I randomly clicked on a review of the sequel to that film, and seems Rowling is still riffing on Who for it as I'm not the only one it seems to notice the Who rip-off in the character of Newt as the reviewer (one, CaptainMidnight) had this line in their review-

'If you were to take Matt Smith's Doctor from Doctor Who put him on sedatives and took away half of what makes that character interesting, you'd have Newt.'  }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Hahaha, the Doctor we've been looking for is a wizard!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 pm

I'll have to go back and read through the thread when I have time. Meanwhile, I just want to say that Cursed Child was a horrific piece of fanfiction with a load of the cheesiest fanfiction tropes. Except for Ron, the characters were wildly OoC. And forget about any consistency with Canon whatsoever.  Razz

As to the Fantastic Beast films, they more or less work on their own terms, but there are way too many departures from Canon to see them as anything more than an AU version of Potterverse.

Anyway--just wanted to drop in my tuppence for what it's worth.

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Harry Potter [2] - Page 6 Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Good to see you GB! Haven't seen any of the off-canon HP as yet, so I'll stay mum.

(Ahem. Your signature insists on pushing PJ's travesty of The Hobbit in our face. Are you trying to start a riot?)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Isn't it from the adventures of Bilbo and Itaril?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Good to see you too, Halfwise! Very Happy

As to PJ's "travesty," as you well know, I am quite fond of his adaptions! Razz

And by the way, Amarie, yes indeed; I photoshopped an image for The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril--though I have long since revised it and retitled it The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel. Cool

Not to mention that the image also reflects the fact that I am rather attached to the ship of Bilbo and Tauriel.

Of course I completely understand that it made more sense for PJ to pair Tauriel with a dwarf when he nicked my idea of pairing her with a little person. It would have messed with Canon a bit too much--even for him--to have taken things as far as I did. 😉

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 am

Um, er...GB? I'm rather curious how it is that you are so flagrantly liberal in your Tolkien appreciation and so tight-assed in your Potter interpretations? Doesn't seem to mesh, altogether.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 am

Some men there are love not a gaping pig;
Some, that are mad if they behold a cat;
And others, when the bagpipe sings i' the nose,
Cannot contain their urine: for affection,
Mistress of passion, sways it to the mood
Of what it likes or loathes. Now, for your answer:
As there is no firm reason to be render'd,
Why he cannot abide a gaping pig;
Why he, a harmless necessary cat;
Why he, a woollen bagpipe; but of force
Must yield to such inevitable shame
As to offend, himself being offended;
So can I give no reason, nor I will not,
More than a lodged hate and a certain loathing
I bear Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them...Are you answer'd?
-Shakespeare (more or less)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 am

Ah, well, Halfwise, it meshes much better than you might think.

You see, for the most part I'm perfectly fine with the film adaptations of the Harry Potter books, except for some quibbles and minor annoyances. And there are a few things which the films actually improve upon. The only major things wrong with both the books and the films is the stupid pairings, and the asinine introduction of the Deathly Hallows as a Red Herring plot device run amok and the new wandlore of the last book which created a gigantic plot hole.

Also, the LotR and Hobbit films are slightly superior to the Harry Potter films.

What I hate most is Canonical inconsistencies, not adaptations.

Cursed Child demolishes Canon (the original seven books) altogether except for Ron's characterisation, and Fantastic Beasts diverges too much from Canon to ever be considered part of Canon.

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:15 am

Harry Potter is a saga of plot holes, but I still love the books - been a while since I sat through one of the movies, though.

On another note - great to see you back here, GB! How have you been?

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:19 pm

David Yates destroyed Harry Potter Mad

I hates it, the fat Hobbit and its pitch black crappy 3D effects.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi Ringdrotten! Wave Very Happy

Oh, I'm scraping by. Thank Eru for the Internet! :carrot:
As long as I can write fanfiction and long screeds about why Harmony is the OTP of Harry Potter, I'm all good. Cool

Now, now, Mrs Figg. David Yates is a fine director and he did an amazing job with the films.

If anyone "destroyed" Harry Potter, that would Rowling's terrible pairings, and her penchant for inconsistency and plot holes. 😉

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 pm

wait....

...Hobbit films are slightly superior to the Harry Potter films.

Oh GB, do you realize what wrath you may have loosed? Gird yourself, the wave is coming.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Very Happy Razz

Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Suspect  wot
I wouldn't buy a Hobbit movie dvd from a 1p bargain bucket.

edit, not even if it was free Mad

edit x 2 they would have to pay me. a lot.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

...Hobbit films are slightly superior to the Harry Potter films.

{{How? I had all but forgotten in my drunkenness how far your liberal tendencies can take you GB, it seems that road not only goes on and on it goes to the lands of the mad! And do bear in mind I don't like HP, at all, and best I can say about the HP films is that they made for a nice retirement plan for ageing UK thespians, and even then I think they were still better films than TH films which pretty much break every rule on how to tell a good story adapt a good story, or write characters and dialogue. The battles are tedious and drawn out and ludicrously cartoony and also, amazingly for the price, everything looks crap too. What is there to like? Mad Mad Mad }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next