Pettytyrant101
chris63
15 posters

Page 12 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Go down

Future releases [2] - Page 12 Empty Re: Future releases [2]

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:21 am

I saw that and thought, "Hey, today is the 13th!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 am

https://www.facebook.com/roadshow/videos/10155537668913251/

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am

{{Are these worth a watch as a stand alone series for someone who couldn't read the Harry Potter books or watch the films out of complete apathy brought on by the storytelling? }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Since you are the only one of the planet who doesn't enjoy the Harry Potter books I'd think you'd just play it safe and give it a miss.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm

I wouldn't really recommend that anyone jump in at the tenth film in a series that they don't like or care about. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Since you are the only one of the planet who doesn't enjoy the Harry Potter books- Halfy

{{buckie and crabbit give one unique clarity on such matters! drunken Twisted Evil

jump in at the tenth film in a series- Eldo

{{Well thats kind of what I was wondering, is it the 10th film or are they designed so that non Potter viewers can watch and still follow? How stand alone are they and how tied to the plagiarist lazy story telling of the Potter series (see clarity! Twisted Evil ) }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not sure where you get the plagiarism claim from - the 'Willy the Wizard' case is pretty unsubstantial.  When asked if Rowling got inspiration from Tolkien, Verlyn Flieger pointed out that Harry Potter was in the British tradition of schoolboy stories, not high fantasy.  Writing in the style of an established tradition is hardly plagiarism.  Is Tolkien's writing plagiarism because he attempted to recapture the epic style of the past?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm

{{ I have no idea who Willy the Wizard is and I dont much fancy its tone! When I tried to read the first book I have never when reading any other book, ever, stopped so often to mentally note, 'oh that's from Tom Browns schooldays, oh that's very Just William ect every few pages }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well thats kind of what I was wondering, is it the 10th film or are they designed so that non Potter viewers can watch and still follow? How stand alone are they and how tied to the plagiarist lazy story telling of the Potter series (see clarity! Twisted Evil )

I think the story of the first film should be easy enough to follow for someone who isn't familiar with the entire series but I doubt that many such people actually watched it. The film was made with the assumption that the audience is familiar with what came before and is in the same mold as most of its predecessors. If you liked and/or tolerated the second half of the HP film series (the ones directed by David Yates, who's also on the new films), you'd probably like and/or tolerate Fantastic Beasts. But if you didn't even get to the second half of the original series I don't think there is anything in these films that would change your mind, or even try to.

As for the plagiarism thing, the word has an actual definition and I don't think that HP fits it. Rowling drew heavily on many traditions (both modern and folkloric) and for the most part she wore her influences on her sleeve. The main thing that makes the books good is the execution, particularly in terms of the character development over the course of the series, not the basic concept(s) of the story, but that's true of most fiction IMO (see also: Star Wars).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

{{Ok let me rephrase- she doesn't plagiarize she just nicks settings, situations and characters from other sources in a way that I find so blatant and often obvious where its from that I found this actively annoying to read as a result. A better writer re-appropriates their sources in a less obvious manner }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm

I like Star Wars and Tarantino movies too so I can't really say that writers with obvious influences bother me.

(I probably wouldn't say that Rowling is as good a writer as Tarantino, but their work is different enough that it's hard to make a direct comparison. If we were to compare only screenplays it obviously wouldn't be much of a competition but I don't think that's fair since Rowling is mainly a novelist and I think that's where her strengths are best showcased.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Petty - I think what annoys you is that Harry Potter (and Game of Thrones) came along after you were already an adult, rather than being imprinted on your juvenile mind like Lord of the Rings and Doctor Who. Both of which would otherwise be seen as annoyingly derivative if that's the type of person you are.  Which you are.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm

I dunno if I'd go that far. LOTR has its influences obviously but it broke way more new ground than HP did. I don't think that makes it inherently better than works written the bounds of more clearly defined genres, though; it's the execution that makes it still one of the best.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Your not going to like what I say much but, I don't like Harry Potter, I believe JK Rowling nicked ideas left right & centre. There are many incidences of characters, locations, ideas etc that Ive seen or read elsewhere. I don't like her as an author & I think, I never will. Sorry guys. If you love the books then, I'm happy you enjoy them Smile I cant join in with the back slapping I'm afraid. Ive tried reading HP because Mrs Figg asked me to give it a go & I do apologise Figgles but, I couldn't get my head in it, sorry. They say there's nothing new in fashion & so it goes with writing. JK Rowling makes me feel as tho Ive stubbed my toe very hard on the chair leg.

Future releases [2] - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Funnily enough, that's a lot like what reading Cursed Child felt like. Pokey Tongue

{{{Not sure what we're supposed to say in this situation. scratch I like discussing HP but it's not like I'm offended by people who dislike it.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 pm

like Lord of the Rings and Doctor Who. Both of which would otherwise be seen as annoyingly derivative- Halfy

{{I dont think so as they both in general hide their derivations and inspirations better by doing something wholly new with them or casting them in a wholly new light or with some sort of twist to the format.
With harry Potter I'm with Azriel- its like reading a pick 'n' mix of the last 100 years of British children's literature and it doesn't hide it well at all and it doesn't push those ideas or characters anywhere new.
Think of it this way Halfy- you disliked the Sword of Shannara because it was a shallow obvious rip off of Tolkien- only difference with Rowling is its not a single source she is ripping its lots at once. But done just as shallowly and just as obviously as Shannara does it- and so just as annoying. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:49 am

scratch

It's a toss-up as to whether I can anticipate Petty's liking something or not. But whatever his crabby opinion, he sticks to it with stubbornness.

"JK Rowling makes me feel as tho Ive stubbed my toe very hard on the chair leg. " -Azriel

Sore and annoyed that someone put her in the wrong spot?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 am

whatever his crabby opinion, he sticks to it with stubbornness. - Forest

{{Crabbit gives one insight and perspective, buckie the absolutely certainty you are always right and the wilingness to violently attack anyone who says otherwise! Very Happy drunken }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:02 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I would watch that, I'm already guessing Smile

Future releases [2] - Page 12 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Future releases [2] - Page 12 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:46 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 am

Fun trailer, hope the film will be entertaining too, but we'll see. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 am

Looks more hopeful than the previous trailer. They may have heard the "best in the galaxy" angle was not received well.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:43 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am

Thought this was real till i seen the date. Shame it isn't.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22 ... 33  Next