Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Amarië
13 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Empty Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm

Since the recent discovery that the Fjordlandians have bested us in annual per-capita pizza consumption (10.87 vs 10.16 pies per year per capita) I have seethed with indignation. As a representative of the most pizza-crazy city in the world, I cannot let this stand.

I therefore issue a CHALLENGE: Yanks versus Fjordians, slice versus slice.

Every time someone on my side of the pond consumes a slice they will tally it here, details optional. The other side will do the same. As in former games, the running tally must be kept up.

From time to time the total slices will be divided by the total number of reporters to get the per capita consumption.

It's now 2 hours before lunch here: the boards are floured, the dough is rising. When lunch hits I will walk out the door and fire my first shot across the Viking bow. Brace yourselves.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Empty Re: Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings

Post by azriel Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Figure_waving_checkered_flag_md_wm_zpsheth0tf1

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Empty Re: Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:49 pm

So I strode out the door at the stroke of noon, marched a couple blocks off campus, and into Millenium Pizza to order a slice of pepperoni. I like their classic thin crisp crust, but the bane of pepperoni is the thin red stream of greasy juice that runs down your arm if not watchful.

I normally may have called this lunch, but mental images of Norwegians cheerfully munching on fiske and ligonberry pizza made my blood boil, so I walked down the street to Victoria's and ordered a slice of vegetarian, feeling a need for vitamins. Good selection of veggies, though the sauce was uninspired.

Yanks: 2 Vikings: 0

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 pm

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Metal Vi snakker Lørdagspizzaaaa!

But really, just two slices? How big are they?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:25 pm

It was lunch, not a scarf-fest. But you can lay a typical slice out along the length of your fore-arm, and the tip would dribble on your knuckles.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Interesting eating habit that, but the size seems decent. Nod

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:01 pm

I had some pizza for lunch last week. But I suppose that doesn't count for the tally.

Lutefisk and lingonberry pizza certainly sounds... interesting.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:39 pm

I still find it funny how traditional you think Norwegian cuisine is. Razz If this pizza statistic should tell you anything it's that it's not. Norwegians on the whole eat italian, tex mex and so on just as often as they eat, say, fish. Although that is a substantial part of the diet too. Lutefisk is a once a year purgatory, it's not something people seek out.

Rakfisk however, that is nice. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:42 pm

I think I'm going to have some pizza this weekend, in any case, so I might as well add to the statistic Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Yes, anything today and after counts for the tally.

"once a year purgatory." Razz

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:49 pm

Bluebottle wrote:I think I'm going to have some pizza this weekend, in any case, so I might as well add to the statistic Razz

There's a good lad! Very Happy

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:53 am

Smugdog

Norway

Pizza Slice Smackdown: Yanks vs Vikings Pizza-cheese

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:17 am

amateurs. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:46 am

Hey, our countries came in 1st and 2nd per capita in the world. We don't accept criticism from minor leagues. Rolling Eyes

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:50 am

Bluebottle wrote:Smugdog

Norway

Where are the pickled fish-heads?? scratch

By the by, I've been to a couple restaurants in Minnesota wherein they cut pizzas into squares. That is, start with a round pie and then cut a grid pattern into it. Anyone else ever seen that?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 am

Yep, it's common in several places.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:12 am

When we order from the local pizza place I often go for a cheesesteak but I might have to go with pizza instead next time. Razz

Is Norwegian pizza similar to American pizza* or is it more like the Italian kind? One of my few clear memories of visiting family in Italy (when I was five) was being weirded out by how different their pizza was. Then again, I was an extremely picky eater at that age. We did find an American style pizza place as well, though. Laughing

*By which I really mean New York-style pizza since that's the kind I'm most familiar with and it is the most widespread here. Chicago-style is very different from both NY and Italian pizza, which are relatively similar in comparison.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:40 am

Pizza here is mainly the thin crust Chicago style, from what I can tell. But that will depend on which pizza place you choose of course.

Homemade pizza has traditionally (i.e. the way mom would make it) a very thick and fluffy crust with topping.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:48 am

It should be pointed out though that a lot of places now, at least in Oslo takes the italian approach, and even does it well. I would say italian pizza is more tied in with proper resturants on the whole, while the american approach is more tied in with fast food, or semi-fast food, places.

Also, while what Am describes is the traditional approach for home made pizza, most people know better know, and will have a more meassured approach, my approach to making homemade pizza is more italian ish, but in a rustic way.

All that said though, the article above show norwegians consume deep freezed pizza more than either resturant bought or home made, and that can be truely a horror show. Catering to what wsa refered to as norwegian taste, not spicy, lots of chese, dull, boring, cardboard-ish... One famous interpretation is called grandiosa, and has become so traditional it's even consumed by some people on christmas eve. Yikes!

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Smugdog

Norway

Where are the pickled fish-heads?? scratch

Who on earth would put fish heads near anything, never mind a pizza?! I do know both cod tounge and cod cheek are seen as a delicacies up north, but if you use the head of a fish for anything it would be stock. Beware of any norwegian offering you fish heads for nything else... particularly the eye...

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:09 am

Blue, you so funny! Next you'll be saying Petty doesn't actually live in a barrel.  Razz
Pickled fish heads are in the sauce. And that's lutefisk mixed with the cheese for that extra gooey feeling.

Blue wrote:Beware of any norwegian offering you fish heads for nything else... particularly the eye...

Laughing
HELLFJORD - Episode 1, English subs

Darn it, watched a few seconds here and there and now I feel like rewatching the whole series.
Subs aren't too bad, should get the message through. (Tho for example it's Constitution day, not Independence day.)

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:11 pm

Amarië wrote:Pizza here is mainly the thin crust Chicago style, from what I can tell. But that will depend on which pizza place you choose of course.

Homemade pizza has traditionally (i.e. the way mom would make it) a very thick and fluffy crust with topping.

Um, Chicago style is THICK crust. But it's also more likely to have a thick layer of ingredients, which may be what you mean.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Um, no, I meant what I said. Very thick and fluffy chrust. Think... I dunno, foccacia thickness?

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 pm

... though it is a bit hard to see just by looking at the pictures where the crust ends and the fill starts in the deep pan pizzas. But I do believe Mom's pizza outfluffs the most of em. Wink

Squints at screen... is that crust, cheese, more crust and then topping?

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum