Eldorion
Saradoc
Pettytyrant101
Ringdrotten
leelee
35 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 36 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm

A facial reconstruction based on the skull of Richard III has revealed how the English king may have looked.

The king's skeleton was found under a car park in Leicester during an archaeological dig.

The reconstructed face has a slightly arched nose and prominent chin, similar to features shown in portraits of Richard III painted after his death.

Historian and author John Ashdown-Hill said seeing it was "almost like being face to face with a real person".

The development comes after archaeologists from the University of Leicester confirmed the skeleton found last year was the 15th Century king's, with DNA from the bones having matched that of descendants of the monarch's family.

Richard was killed in the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, at the age of 32 and after just two years on the throne, having been challenged by the forces of Henry Tudor, the future Henry VII.

Continue reading the main story
Interactive: Twisted bones reveal a king

Dr Ashdown-Hill, who wrote The Last Days of Richard III, said: "The most obvious features in portraits are the shape of the nose and the chin and both of those are visible in the facial reconstruction."

Richard III Society member Philippa Langley, originator of the search, said on a Channel 4 documentary earlier: "It doesn't look like the face of a tyrant. I'm sorry but it doesn't.

"He's very handsome. It's like you could just talk to him, have a conversation with him right now."

Layers of muscle and skin were added by computer to a scan of the skull and the result was made into a three-dimensional plastic model.

Dr Ashdown-Hill said: "I had said previously that when I stood by the grave in Leicester that I felt closer to Richard III than I had ever been, but when I saw the facial reconstruction I realised I had been close to a dead Richard III.
"It was just bones, just a body, whereas confronting a facial reconstruction, I felt almost in the presence of a living Richard III."

'Humped backs'

The reconstruction is particularly important because there are no surviving contemporary portraits of Richard III.

Dr Ashdown-Hill said: "All the surviving portraits of him - even the very later ones with humped backs and things which were obviously later additions - facially are quite similar [to each other] so it has always been assumed that they were based on a contemporary portrait painted in his lifetime or possibly several portraits painted in his lifetime."

The Richard III Society officially unveiled the reconstruction on Tuesday morning

Just...................whatever - Page 36 Untitlevsdfggd_zps2f9cfdae
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever - Page 36 Empty Re: Just...................whatever

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm very excited about this discovery and I think it's a great achievement for archaeology, but I must admit to being baffled by the existence of a Richard III Society and the number of people in the press who seem to be taking sides in a dynastic struggle that ended over 500 years ago . Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:24 pm

sometimes, i want people to 3D my scull, then sculpe my face and see if it looks like me Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm

who seem to be taking sides in a dynastic struggle that ended over 500 years ago- Eldo

I thought you would have learnt something about these isles of ours by now Eldo- nothing ever actually ends, least of all a good struggle. 500 years is just about enough time to get a good grudge worked up.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm

But they're all dead! Banghead

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Yes but the grudges arent- thats the beauty of it.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Fair enough, but does the average person even know which side their ancestors supported anymore? Is it a geographical thing?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Usually geographical, knowledge of family line- not uncommon among rich families stil to have furniture from ancestors 500 years ago- and often along religous or social lines.
Or more commonly these days treated like a reality tv show where people just decide sides based on if they like his hair or not. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm

I dont know anything about a supposed argument, but it really is fascinating, i love stuff like this. and to think of a king of England buried under a car park with a descendant who is a Canadian furniture maker, you couldnt make that stuff up. its brill. Very Happy he was very handsome too.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:who seem to be taking sides in a dynastic struggle that ended over 500 years ago- Eldo

I thought you would have learnt something about these isles of ours by now Eldo- nothing ever actually ends, least of all a good struggle. 500 years is just about enough time to get a good grudge worked up.

does this mean we get that banner for another 500 years? Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Nah Americans think 500 years is a long time.
Eldo would never last the pace, and he's to nice to pass the grudge on to his children and amplify it and make it more full of bile like we Brits can.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm

How do they no its him ? What did they check his DNA with ?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Someone who they traced back to Richard's niece through old genealogical records, apparently. It's pretty cool. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Eldorion wrote:Fair enough, but does the average person even know which side their ancestors supported anymore? Is it a geographical thing?

VIKINGS!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 pm

my cousins just told me that they went to my moms grave on her 7 year death anniversary & drank diet coke and ate peanut m&ms

/proud of them

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 am

Paving should be finished 2moro. What should av taken 1 week took 4 Just...................whatever - Page 36 Crazy-smiley-emoticon

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 am

Looks rather cosy

http://www.travelchannel.com/daily-escape/hotel-and-igloo-kakslauttanen?cid=socde_20130228_6090774

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 am

looks aweseom!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 pm

I need someone who knows London reeeely well
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 pm

i do.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm

oh really

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm

no.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 pm

yeah

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 pm

What do you need doing Mrs Figg ?
And that Igloo place looks like a mini slice of heaven, Chris Laughing

Just...................whatever - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm

So much to say and no time to say it in! Mad Missing everyone here -7 days to get an engineer to turn a phone on! How come they can switch me off remotely but not switch the bloody thing back on remotely?! Evil or Very Mad
And I dont live on a bloody island other than the one called Britain Mad But my router will take 2 days longer because they say I am living on an island. Mad And when I told them maybe they should look up google earth or an atlas- they got stroppy about it, bloody cheek!
So I will be back assuming my crabbittness at how long its taking- and they took the bloody payment roughly 0.0000003 seconds after I placed the order Mad - doesn't cause me to kill the engineer when he finally bothers showing up. And between 10am and 6 pm- any chance you could be vaguer about that BT? Evil or Very Mad
Um this is a long way of saying how much I miss dropping by here and just how crabbit I am about it. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum