huffjuff
azriel
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
21 posters

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 25 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:03 pm

agreed, but one or two problematic words, not whole sentences. btw I used to live near the Robertson's jam factory and I was always getting free gollywog statues. now they would be classed as a hate crime. None of the kids collecting them were racists. I had never even seen a black person until I was 16. I know I was 16 because it made an impression.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 25 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:27 am

{{ I had an unusual experience in that regard, what with the largest US navy base being right on my doorstep there were a lot of black folk about for your average Scottish village. I dont remember it but according to my mum I escaped the garden one day and vanished, a black guy from the Navy had found me and brought me back to the housing scheme I grew up in, so I must have been able to tell him roughly where I lived at least. When he turned up with me and found my mum and some others out looking for me, he was holding my hand and I was chatting nonsense oblivious and non stop to him- some things don't change!

Looking back on it with the head of adulthood Id love to be able to thank him as that must have taken some balls, considering how blacks were still treated in the US at the time, to find a white kid and take him back to his 100% white council housing scheme, he must have considered the possibility he was just going to get blamed for taking me rather than thanked for returning me.
Fortunately he was thanked.

I was very envious of black guys growing up. It was the 80's, the height of the muscled action hero, and worship of them was nowhere greater than in the US armed forces. As a result I was under the impression all black folk were at least 6 foot tall, built like a brick shit house and if that wasnt already better in certain lights their skin shone a cool blue colour, whereas mine didnt shine at all, unless it was sunburnt. All considered just as well I didnt know about the trouser department bit back then or thatd been the final nail in the jealousy coffin!
In fact I just assumed racism was another word for jealousy for years. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:43 pm

Good for you Camilla, you tell em!  Very Happy

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/23/camilla-roald-dahl-books-row

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:54 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ I had an unusual experience in that regard, what with the largest US navy base being right on my doorstep there were a lot of black folk about for your average Scottish village. I dont remember it but according to my mum I escaped the garden one day and vanished, a black guy from the Navy had found me and brought me back to the housing scheme I grew up in, so I must have been able to tell him roughly where I lived at least. When he turned up with me and found my mum and some others out looking for me, he was holding my hand and I was chatting nonsense oblivious and non stop to him- some things don't change!

Looking back on it with the head of adulthood Id love to be able to thank him as that must have taken some balls, considering how blacks were still treated in the US at the time, to find a white kid and take him back to his 100% white council housing scheme, he must have considered the possibility he was just going to get blamed for taking me rather than thanked for returning me.
Fortunately he was thanked.

I was very envious of black guys growing up. It was the 80's, the height of the muscled action hero, and worship of them was nowhere greater than in the US armed forces. As a result I was under the impression all black folk were at least 6 foot tall, built like a brick shit house and if that wasnt already better in certain lights their skin shone a cool blue colour, whereas mine didnt shine at all, unless it was sunburnt. All considered just as well I didnt know about the trouser department bit back then or thatd been the final nail in the jealousy coffin!
In fact I just assumed racism was another word for jealousy for years. }}

Thats a nice story Cool . I always thought that Mr T /B A Baracus from the A Team was the coolest guy ever.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:10 pm

{{ Given that would have been around '75 and segregation in the US only ended in '64 (and even then in many states it was many years before it got through the court challenges before being implemented) I cant imagine what he was thinking walking into an all white working class housing scheme with me in hand. I wonder if he is still alive, he probably have been in his early 20's, most of the navy guys were that werent officer rank so he'd been in his 70's now. I'd love to hear it from his side of things.

Regards Camillia's comments, seems to me she is actually talking about something different. She is telling authors not to let their work be compromised, that's fine if your alive I 100% agree, but in the case of Dahl and other works its the Estates which and the publishers between them who make these choices after the author is gone and can have no say.

Not that Im saying that makes it ok, just that its a different scenario all together. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:33 pm

I'm sure the soldier had a sense for the levels of racism in different places. Minorities have a keen nose for such things. There's a reason so many Jazz musicians went to Paris.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:59 pm

Seems like the Ian Fleming folks are doing it right: back in the 1960's he approved some edits, and they are continuing in the same vein without taking it too far.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ian-fleming-james-bond-novels-210118076.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:29 pm

{{ As I mentioned before, this has been going on since the year dot in publishing, its nothing new at all. The difference is twitter. It makes me crabbit.
From the way news goes on about Twitter youd think it was this global opinion base, its less than 3% of people use twitter. If I had my way news channels would be banned from sourcing anything on twitter- its noisy irrelevancy which reflects nothing at all except what the loudest 3% 'look at me types' want to make a fuss about. Its best ignored or ideally consigned to history. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:51 pm

I'm hoping Musk succeeds in running it into the ground. Can't stand the thing myself, and was just another reason to despise Trump.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:32 pm

{ The only use I can see for twitter is it allows a means for finding out everyone who uses it so they can be rounded up and put on island somewhere together and the rest of the world can get on happily without having to listen to them Nod }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Twitter is a cess-pit, its caused countless harm. I hope Musk implodes it from the inside.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:12 am

{{ Tomorrow is making me crabbit! Well the thought of it is. I've not been too well of late in rather unpleasant ways and tomorrow I have to get a ferry and a taxi to Inverclyde hospital so they can shove a camera down my throat (before you say could be worse, it has been they've been up there already! Mad ), but the thought of having something shoved down my throat is not an endearing one!
They apparently spray something down my throat first to somewhat numb it, and I need to get to the root of the problem, just wish there was another way to do so! Evil or Very Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:44 am

I'd think even with anesthetic there'd still be a gag reflex. I'd rather be knocked out for such a procedure.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:58 am

sorry to hear that Petty that sounds yucky, but hopefully it will be over quickly. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:05 pm

I'd rather be knocked out for such a procedure.- Halfy

{{ You cant be, you have to be cooperative. I have three choices, nothing at all, the numbing spray, or cooperative sedation.

An advantage (disadvantage) to having been a carer for years is I can always find folk who have been through just about any surgical experience to consult, in this case I have 3 folk who have had it done.

All three say the nothing option is a big NO. None of them actually choose this but they base it on option 2- the spray being a 'horrendous experience and unbelievably painful' so without anything god knows how bad it must be.
Option 3 has its drawbacks too- you need a drug pumped into your vein and another tube stuck through your nose to feed you oxygen, you're out of it but still awake and conscious and able to follow instructions- but from those I asked its the least worst option in terms of pain and discomfort.
Problem is Im going on my own, and they wont give you that option unless you're accompanied as you're out of it afterwards for a fair bit- not good for wandering streets, catching trains and getting on ferries!

Plus there the worry about whatever they find is wrong.

So I am not afraid to say I am somewhat nervous and slightly shitting it and dont fancy any of it at all. I hate medical stuff at best of times and generally avoid it, Ive only been to see a Doctor about 3 times in the last 30 years. But it was rather apparent this one was not going to resolve itself with time.

But at times like this I turn to the only Doctor worth consulting and just remember the words of the 3rd,"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do, anyway."

So I'll go get it done away.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. They are appreciated, and I may need them!}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:39 pm

you'll get through it, and when its over buy yourself a treat.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:50 pm

Oooh that sucks. Best of luck and I hope all goes well.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:27 pm

Every now and then I'll go on a 24 hour fast, and it's really a non issue. Who knows what effect sedation will have on your system? So when things literally are about to get shitty, I recommend a fast, which I suppose you'll need to start right now. Get yourself all emptied out and it's one less thing to worry about.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 pm

Petty - I hope you have a blender. Sounds like you'll be drinking smoothies for a couple of days.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:27 pm

{{ Ive only been able to eat soft food for over 6 weeks now Halfy, when I can eat at all, lost about a stone and there wasnt a lot of me to start with! Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:36 am

So my fasting advice was probably irrelevant. Hope things go well!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:19 pm

Hey Petty I hope you are ok. I have been thinking about you all day wondering how everything went. I hope it wasn't too horrible.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:17 pm

{{ Thanks Figg, I appreciate your and everyones thoughts and wishes I love you But yeah it was very horrible, I'd not wish that on a McBanks Mad The entire process is just, yeah its not one for anyones bucket list thats for sure!
The nurses and staff however were as always with the NHS utterly exemplary in kindness, professionalism and everything really.

As to results, well good and bad. The good (very good really) is nothing cancerous going on. The bad news my guts are a gastric ulcer colony- 6 of the buggers infact all acute (who would have thought only 3 fairly mediumish barrels of a buckie a day could do such damage!)- so its a course of meds for 8 weeks....and then I have to go this procedure again to see if they are gone! Evil or Very Mad

Feeling bit sore at the moment but nothing I reckon a lie down and a good nights sleep might not help. ))

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:06 pm

well its good news its not the C word, but how the hell did you get 6 gastric ulcers? its all those fried Mars bars and Buckie isn't it.
seriously you probably need to rethink your diet, no smoking, no drinking and no hot curries. so yeah, a 'just kill me now' diet No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:58 pm

{{ I know! I know! No I've already had to cancel my Friday night deep battered pizza and mars bar supper Evil or Very Mad And Im going to have to eat fruit and veg! Green stuff, like a cow!- except thanks to the bloody Tories and Brexit there aren't any, when for the first time in my life I need some!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next