Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
halfwise
Eldorion
17 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 2 Empty Re: Watching LOTR for the first time in four years

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:23 pm

halfwise wrote:
Egad, Fellowship must have looked like a masterpiece in comparison.

I take it you read the Hobbit before seeing the movie?  In any case, what was your take on AUJ?

Yes I did read the Hobbit the summer before seeing the movie. At that time I was getting through Fellowship at my usual turtle pace.

I must confess that at the time I loved the film more than any other, and embarrassingly watched it once a week after I bought it on DVD. Everything about it seemed so fresh to me it's my mind was forced to fall in love with it. Now whenever I watch it increasingly it becomes more boring for me. The action scenes fall flat. The dialogue is cheesy, and SO much foreshadowing in it. Bleh.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 2 Empty Re: Watching LOTR for the first time in four years

Post by Elthir Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oh yeah, the crabbit, its a-coming Twisted Evil

:edge of seat emoticon:

:tar and feather brigade waiting outside Jackson's palace emoticon:

:grey, not white, horse emoticon:
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:47 pm

davidjoneshoward wrote:
halfwise wrote:
Egad, Fellowship must have looked like a masterpiece in comparison.

I take it you read the Hobbit before seeing the movie?  In any case, what was your take on AUJ?

Yes I did read the Hobbit the summer before seeing the movie. At that time I was getting through Fellowship at my usual turtle pace.

I must confess that at the time I loved the film more than any other, and embarrassingly watched it once a week after I bought it on DVD. Everything about it seemed so fresh to me it's my mind was forced to fall in love with it. Now whenever I watch it increasingly it becomes more boring for me. The action scenes fall flat. The dialogue is cheesy, and SO much foreshadowing in it. Bleh.

Parts of it do hold up, here and there. Interesting hearing a fresh perspective on it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:57 pm

halfwise wrote:

Parts of it do hold up, here and there.  Interesting hearing a fresh perspective on it.

True, your right. I though a couple moments during Bilbo's unexpected party were good, like when Balin and Thorin were talking about the quest, and Gandalf was telling Bilbo if he came back he would never be the same. I also thought the moon runes scene was good. The Gollum scene was great, almost LOTRish. But especially when Bilbo is about to leave and Bofur talks to him, and he later explains why he came back, that's my favorite of them all. I'm sure there a couple more here and there.

My main reason for basically hating the movie is because I used to love it so much more than I should have, which makes it all the more embarrassing Embarassed
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:02 pm

We've all had embarrassing crushes. Embarassed

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:38 pm

I dont think you should be embarrassed DJH, I dont think people should apologize for their feelings ? its a learning curve sometimes. I wont be embarrassed for how i feel or felt at any particular time, Actions maybe, oh yeah ! Ive made some right goofs that I would love to erase from memory ! As for TH, being in the Shire & in Bilbo's home was LOTRS-ish, & so was Gollums wet, slappy cave, I felt. But I got no other good feelings from that abysmal film, apart from a burning, sickie sensation which I know now to be Acid Reflux ! Very Happy

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Yeah, I think the thing about positive feelings are that they are.. positive. So, even if the degree you get caught up in them might be embarrassing in hindsight, the only way those feelings become a negative is if you treat them as they are.

And don't we all see positivity and enthusiasm as the most positive thing about other people?

I'm with Azriel. You shouldn't feel self conscious for falling for stuff. It's natural.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Well said that man Nod

Feelings allow you to change, open your eyes & see the world & its ever moving changes. Ive said before that us humans are like diamonds, multi faceted & I think thats a good thing !

Watching LOTR for the first time in four years - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Ive said before that us humans are like diamonds- Azriel

I think I must be in the rough then!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:55 pm

davidjoneshoward wrote:Oh by no means do I think Fellowship is a perfect film. I just think that it captured all the magic from lord of the rings. And also, I think the reason why it feels perfect is after contextualizing it to the other films, like you noted yourself (I think I'm the only person on this forum that saw AUJ before any other Middle Earth movie)

Ah, I see what you mean, and I think I agree. Thumbs Up I've tried to avoid too much hyperbole but certainly my feeling when reaching the end of Fellowship was one of more or less complete satisfaction. Some of the other stuff comes back when reflecting on the movie later. That's in part because it goes out on such a high note; there a few things (like Gandalf going to Isengard as Blue mentioned) that bug me in the moment but are forgotten as the movie goes on.

davidjoneshoward wrote:Yes I did read the Hobbit the summer before seeing the movie. At that time I was getting through Fellowship at my usual turtle pace.

I understand how you feel, but I'll tell you the same thing I've told other (considerably older) people who enjoyed AUJ before becoming disillusioned after DOS. There's nothing to be embarrassed about in enjoying a movie. The more movies you watch, the better you'll become at seeing flaws and assessing them "objectively". I think this can help us appreciate truly great movies even more, but there's something to be said for finding enjoyment wherever you can. I was more positive on AUJ when it first came out because I was excited to be there on day one, even though I was expecting (and got) a disappointment, but the positive vibe made me slightly more positive about the film than I was a year later when I watched the objectively better EE without all the buzz. Shrugging

NB My first exposure to Middle-earth (after months of refusing to read the books) was the Two Towers tie-in video game, and my first Star Wars movie was The Phantom Menace, so we all have our dirty little secrets of fandom. Razz

davidjoneshoward wrote:True, your right. I though a couple moments during Bilbo's unexpected party were good, like when Balin and Thorin were talking about the quest, and Gandalf was telling Bilbo if he came back he would never be the same. I also thought the moon runes scene was good. The Gollum scene was great, almost LOTRish. But especially when Bilbo is about to leave and Bofur talks to him, and he later explains why he came back, that's my favorite of them all. I'm sure there a couple more here and there.

I think my favorite such moment in AUJ was Bilbo's "you don't have a home" speech, which I had first glimpsed in a 30 second TV spot (though I saw it online) and loved there. In its full context in the finished film it was even better. I agree with you about most of the scenes you mention too. Riddles in the Dark definitely was a highlight, and one of the few examples of changes (Gollum closer to his LOTR characterization with the split personalities and all) being effective. And the Bofur scene is definitely great. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 pm

You just need a good buffing Petty Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Does that involve taking my kilt off Suspect Because I've already had my annual bath in Rushock Bog and I'm not having another one! Evil or Very Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:07 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Well, you almost inspired me to watch the EE cut of Fellowship yesterday. But it was already after eleven and I thought four hours was a bit optimistic. Razz I might try again later though.

Yeah, I've had several days in the past couple weeks where I really wanted to watch the next film but didn't have time. That's the downside of them being so long. Laughing Hopefully I'll be able to see TTT soon though. If you do watch Fellowship or any of the other, be sure to post some thoughts on here! I'm curious to know what you guys think with fresh eyes. Smile

Bluebottle wrote:You certainly have a point in that many of the changes made, particularily to characterization, love them or hate them, were consistent, and as such one really should judge them on their own merit. There are still stuff I don't fail to react to though. Like Gandalf leaving Frodo and Sam in the Shire and them five minutes later running into a Nazgul. Oh, and Gandalf riding back and forth to Isengard in the time it takes the Hobbits to reach Rivendell... I guess faults in logic are harder to ignore. Shrugging

I think you're right that most of the logical inconsistencies have to do with the plot or setting rather than the characters. In the past that stuff bugged me more, but these days I tend to find characterization more important. I think you're exaggerating how soon they encounter the Nazgul though. In the EE especially; the insertion of the wood elves seen (which should really be high elves, but that's neither here nor there) establishes an entire day and night passing for Frodo and Sam before they even meet Merry and Pippin. And even without that scene, it's clearly the middle of the day when they encounter Merry and Pippin so at least several hours would have had to pass since their early morning departure with Gandalf.

As for Gandalf going to and from Isengard, this has always bugged me. It's one of several geographical absurdities that are highlighted further by the movies reproducing the same maps from the books. The Paths of the Dead opening up on Pelargir is another one that bugs me, but at least that is understandable for dramatic reasons. I think for sheer distances involved, Gandalf going to and from Isengard is the worst offender in either trilogy, but if we role with the assumption that Gandalf could have made the round trip in a couple of days (and because he wasn't aware of the Nine being on the loose until Saruman told him), it sorta makes sense. I got the sense that movie!Gandalf had a bad feeling about taking the Ring directly to Saruman even if he couldn't put his finger on it.

At the end of the day though, as a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I've had to learn to let geographical impossibilities slide. I don't like 'em, I think they detract from both the story and the worldbuilding, but I don't let them ruin otherwise enjoyable stories for me.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:10 pm

That kilt comes off ?? I thought it was welded on ? Rushock Bog ! you wot ! You sneaked a dip in behind my back didnt you ? You get a leech on yer arse its your own fault Laughing Hells Jupiter you could have contaminated my herborial garden Rolling Eyes

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Gandalf going to and from Isengard never bothered at all, because I aways assumed that Frodo fell into a short coma after he was stabbed by the Witch King. I thought he must have been asleep for days and days.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:20 pm

That kilt comes off ?? I thought it was welded on ? Rushock Bog ! you wot ! You sneaked a dip in behind my back didnt you ? You get a leech on yer arse its your own fault Laughing Hells Jupiter you could have contaminated my herborial garden- Azriel

Well for some inexplicable reason Dave would not let me use his slurry tank, so Bog it was. Not sure I'm clean but in a certain light I do have a lovely green algae sheen Nod As to your herbs, never fear, check Daves fields out- I'm positively a biological boom to an ecosystem Twisted Evil (though admittedly the actual harvests are not be entirely fit for human consumption and have an alcohol content that would put most spirits to shame)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:21 pm

davidjoneshoward wrote:Gandalf going to and from Isengard never bothered at all, because I aways assumed that Frodo fell into a short coma after he was stabbed by the Witch King. I thought he must have been asleep for days and days.

The issue with the Isengard thing is that Gandalf thinks he'd be able to make it from the Shire, there, and then back up to Bree in less time than it would take Frodo and Sam to walk to Bree (since he tells them he'll be waiting for them at the Prancing Pony).  In the book this works because he tells Frodo to leave "soon, not instantly"; Frodo then spends several months saying goodbye to the Shire and arranging for a cover story.  In the book Gandalf and Frodo both leave Hobbiton mere hours after confirming that the ring is the One Ring, an understandable change for dramatic/pacing reasons, but one for which the logical implications were either not thought out or were deliberately ignored in favor of preserving other plot details from the book (ie, Frodo and Sam not having Gandalf with them during the trip across Eriador).

You are of course correct that Frodo was in a coma of sorts in Rivendell and it's during that time when Gandalf returns.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Well, maybe he knew it was a trap and had planned ahead of time for an eagle to take him? Very Happy
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 pm

Can you blame Dave ? tho I guess if you've been dipping in his slurry the choice will be either big cranberries or teeny tiny cranberries Very Happy A phosphorous glow will pick you out among the heather wont it Laughing

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 pm

There's 2 lines of conversation going here Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm still waiting for Petty's promised response. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:10 pm

There's 2 lines of conversation going here - Azriel

Tis the Forumnshire way of things (especially when 1 of them is completely off topic Very Happy )

'I'm still waiting for Petty's promised response.'- Eldo

Oh dont you dare young Eldo, dont you dare!! Mad You are already on very dangerous ground Twisted Evil as it only seemed proper given I haven't seen it in years to watch PJ original again- and boy are you going to pay for that, I dont know when, I dont how- but you will pay for this suffering!!! Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:10 pm

I was hoping you'd watch the original edits again (or the EE, whichever) but I was nervous about suggesting the idea to you. Razz Glad to hear it though! Take all the time you need. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 pm

By Eru's mystic sporran! The crabbit!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  - four crabbit meters down in flames and its still got study 230 minutes to go. Shocked
MORE BUCKIE!!!!! drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next