Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

+12
bungobaggins
halfwise
Orwell
David H
davidjoneshoward
Ringdrotten
ElendilTheShort
Radaghast
Elthir
azriel
dak
Forest Shepherd
16 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:03 pm

No he may have looked the part in Mohicans but he doesn't have the mystery or the fey element.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:35 pm

That's a rather vague quantifier really. Unlike, say, the length of his nose, it's not something that can be clearly and reliably said to be true of a certain actor. I think "mystery" in an actor is simply the ability to represent multi-layered emotions. This is something that Day-Lewis can do very well with his intensely studied and well-crafted performances.

As for a fey element, I think that he lacks the whimsicality of the soft-spoken Mortensen. But that does not mean that he is a brusque actor incapable of conveying inexpressible mythic longings or whatever it is that fey really means.

Take, for example, the scene from Last of the Mohicans where Day-Lewis is talking to Cora after they had found the burnt-out cabin and the murdered Cameron family. In a quiet moment between them both, he talks about the mythos of the stars and how his adopted people believe that those who die take their place in the night sky. I couldn't find a clip of it, but it's a good scene and is certainly elven enough in certain respects.

I really think there are several excellent things going for Daniel Day-Lewis in this casting. A good choice to my mind!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:No  he may have looked the part in Mohicans but he doesn't have the mystery or the fey element.

He's shown a broad range of acting capability, better than Viggo, who I thought capably acted Aragorn as far as he was allowed to given the shite film Aragorn storyline, and the fact PJ and the coven had him behead the Mouth of Sauron. I think he (day-lewis) could have very well bought the Numenorean bloodline to life on screen. The whole elven bloodline/fey aspect of characters was so poorly done in these 6 movies, from grumpy, pessimistic, with the wisdom of a brick Elrond who was meant to love Aragorn like a son, to stoned Galadriel that turned into Samara from the Ring through to the camp a-hole that was meant to be Thranduil. These films really needed a Numenorean that could intimidate the Mouth of Sauron with a stare, not have to sneak up on him and cut the head off a herald unawares like a coward.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Very much agree Elendil on all counts-

'Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other's eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow. 'I am a herald and ambassador, and may not be assailed!' he cried. '- RotK

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:17 am

Heheh, craven.

I've always enjoyed that bit.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:51 am

Mrs Figg wrote:No  he may have looked the part in Mohicans but he doesn't have the mystery or the fey element.
I don't know what "fey element" means. I think there's plenty of mystery to DDL, though.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:55 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Very much agree Elendil on all counts-

'Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other's eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow. 'I am a herald and ambassador, and may not be assailed!' he cried. '- RotK
Way better than the stupid beheading.

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:31 pm

well boys I stick to my guns on this one. DDL just isn't cutting the mustard as Aragorn. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Been so busy the last couple of weeks (running a summer camp) I just saw this.

I long ago cast my vote for Daniel Day Lewis, and never understood Figgy's exception to him. I think he would have conveyed inner power better than Mortensen.

I had never thought of Stewart as Denethor, and can't believe I missed the thought. He would have been absolute perfection, and likely would not have bowed to Jackson's batty tendencies.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:well boys I stick to my guns on this one. DDL just isn't cutting the mustard as Aragorn. Very Happy

Oh he'd cut the mustard as Aragorn all right, he'd cut the mustard all damn day with Anduril.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Laughing ETS - good to have you on here. Haven't seen enough of you since you first signed on.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Who would you cast as Faramir?

Despite the arguable character assassination of Faramir in the films, I think David Wenham gave a rather good performance, if the script veered closer to Tolkien's version of events I think he'd do a good job at showing the nobility and bravery of the character, without any hamfisted character arc getting in the way...

For some reason I picture Colin Farell in the role...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:22 pm

I imagined Ralph Fiennes as Faramir while reading the book.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:32 pm

Radaghast wrote:I imagined Ralph Fiennes as Faramir while reading the book.

Hmm, Fiennes as he was 15 year ago yes...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:53 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:well boys I stick to my guns on this one. DDL just isn't cutting the mustard as Aragorn. Very Happy

Oh he'd cut the mustard as Aragorn all right, he'd cut the mustard all damn day with Anduril.

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Ralph Fiennes :facepalm: no way jose
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 am

Yeah, because David Wenham is just so great Laughing

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:26 am

I actually think Denzel Washington is one of the few actors who could have carried off the full dignity and subtly of Faramir as written in the book. Sure, he doesn't look the part, but he would have carried the part.

I thought David Wenham did pretty well with the twisted part he was given. I saw flashes of the real Faramir coming through.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 am

What about Tony Curran as one of the Rohirrim? Not Eomer, I don't think, but what about replacing that one guy who looked like he was too fond of pastries?

Mmm, oh yes, just look at those locks!

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Tumblr_nkp9olRXWO1taerido1_1280

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:44 am

Hm.. An idea just struck me. All the Doctors as Lord of the Rings characters!
William Hartnell
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Doctor3

I think Gandalf is the obvious choice here. Or Saruman.

Patrick Troughton
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Patrick-Troughton-actor-Dr-Doctor-Who

I don't know! Gimli? I haven't seen any Troughton Who yet, so I can't speak to his acting. Perhaps a Butterbur?

John Pertwee
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Doctor-Who-jon-pertwee-008

He just looks so much like Bernard Hill that I'd say he should be Theoden for that reason. But that's not quite right. He would play Bilbo quite nicely I think!

Tom Baker
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Tom-baker

Gollum of course!

Peter Davison
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Davison2

He shall be a hobbit. Samwise perhaps.

Colin Baker
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Colin-Baker-011
Bombadil!

Sylvester Mccoy
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Latest?cb=20110521081452
Hm... Radaghast?   :facepalm:
He's also darn hobbitish. I'm not sure.

Paul McGann
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_mxrmkp6gLr1qfjffu
Elrond? Faramir? He's certainly more on that side of things.

Christopher Eccleston
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 MTE5NTU2MzE2NjA0Njk2MDc1
Boromir (because of.. well... his and McGann's matching probosces and the fact that I've seen him play villains before and Boromir needs to be a little edgy in that way).

David Tennant
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Latest?cb=20111220025107
Frodo of course!

Matt Smith
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Matt-smith-to-leave-doctor-who-after-this-year-s-christmas-special-the-search-for-the-twelfth-doctor-begins
Denethor I say, because of certain.. erm.. common family traits... Razz

But really he's too young. So perhaps another one of those hobbits. Or an orc or something!

Peter Capaldi
Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Peter-Capaldi-1484907
Hm... Another Gandalf/Saruman? I wonder what he looks like with a big bushy beard...

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:03 am

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Downlo11

A little grey in the hair and we're good to go!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Hm.. An idea just struck me. All the Doctors as Lord of the Rings characters!
William Hartnell

Hartnell-Saruman
Troughton=Tom Bombadil I know he dosen't really look it but as I wrote in the Who thread recently:

With the exception of
SPOILERS-not sure If you have watched Day Of The Doctor:
I'd still rank Troughton as the best actor to play the role (with Mcoy being the worst), and I think he established the character model for most of the other doctors that followed much more so than Hartnell (taking nothing away from Hartnell's performance-he's tied with McGann as my fave actually). I liked the way Trougton undersells the Doctors cleverness, on the surface he's happily bumbling along as a very approachable, but eccentric and sometimes ineffectual  or impish 'cosmic hobo' , but contrasts this with a level of deep intelligence and morose trickery that comes out of the blue when the moment calls for it, you never doubt he's the cleverest and oddest man in the room, but unlike some of the later Doctors he never acts like he's the most important man in it, making it all the more interesting when he proves it, he's never striving to prove himself as the Doctor...he just instantly seems like he is.

Trougton (much like Hartnell) acts less outwardly Alien and Eccentric, but ends up all the more convincing for doing so, it's a very clever duality and I can see clear echoes of it in Smith's performance.

Pertwee-Agreed, Theoden

Tom Baker-Agreed again, those staring yes coupled with that slighty pery voice Laughing  he's unsettling enough to pull off Gollum without the use of prosthetics

Peter Davison-Frodo

Colin Baker-Beorn

Sylvester Mcoy-Bilbo (he was actually Jackson's first choice at one stage back in the 90's)

Paul McGann-if you are looking at the TV Movie verion  of his Doctor-scatter brained romantic, then I'd say Elrond or Thrandypants, but if you look at the more battered and angry Doctor he plays in Dark Eyes onwards:

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 1601062_783283581700826_2105849966_n

I think he'd pull off Aragorn  really well.

Eccleston-Boromir or Bard

Tennant-Thranduil

Matt Smith-Pippin or Merry

Peter Capaldi-Radagast or Denthor

Spoiler if you haven't watched Day Of The Doctor:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 pm

I've enjoyed reading through this thread but haven't had many ideas to add (though as I've said before I agree with Ian McShane as Thorin). That said, I didn't imagine Capaldi with the beard would look quite so fitting, but there it is. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Jerome Flynn for Bard

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 Imageshhjkkk_zps9ugoxdxz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:48 pm

John Lynch Theoden

[url=Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 3 TVYlI_zpszcupjrd2
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next