Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

+12
bungobaggins
halfwise
Orwell
David H
davidjoneshoward
Ringdrotten
ElendilTheShort
Radaghast
Elthir
azriel
dak
Forest Shepherd
16 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:37 am

It had definite moments.  The main thing is you don't want to miss Minas Tirith on film.  That justifies its existence right there, in my book. Despite Petty's grumps about the Pelennor fields, the city itself is....spectacular. More than you could have wished for in fact.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 am

Orwell wrote:To be honest, I don't have too much of a problem with casting - it's the script that is rubbish.... Though Movie 3 might be brilliant... don't know... still haven't seen it.....

affraid

Oh, I thought you meant RotK for a second there!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

Orwell, ALL the movies sucked ! I thought they were shit by the barrel load. No one could redeem that film, never, not in a 1000 years. Whether it was fresh new talent or, exceptional actors, The Hobbit was the smelliest sock of the century !! Ive bought some silly stuff when Ive been shopping & wondered why & moaned about wasting money but The Hobbit ??? Doesn't it wake Peejers up in a cold sweat at night over it ? A blind man with the lights turned off would still be traumatised by The Hobbit !

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Orwell wrote:To be honest, I don't have too much of a problem with casting - it's the script that is rubbish.... Though Movie 3 might be brilliant... don't know... still haven't seen it.....

affraid

Oh, I thought you meant RotK for a second there!

That's what I thought and responded to...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Despite Petty's grumps about the Pelennor fields, the city itself is....spectacular. More than you could have wished for in fact.- Halfy

{{OI! Those are not grumps!  Mad  Those are legitimate crabbit criticisms  Twisted Evil Its not just the Pellanor Fields I complain about regards Minas Tirith!- yes the city looks nice but absolutely everything all around it is wrong- the fauna, the climate, the landscape, the rest of Gondor in fact which in the films consists of one big city with no food and one ruined city with no food! No wonder everyone is no bloody miserable there- and thats another thing! Nowhere in PJ's Minas Tirith do I see the spirit of the people represented as Tolkien does via Beregrond- that will to fight to the very last in the belief that some good will survive if good people defend it to the very last, somewhere, somehow a spring will come again. Think of when the Nazgul passes overhead and they despair until Pippin in typical hobbit fashion shakes it off first and rouses Beregrond- thats the spirit of the people of Minas Tirith right there- not what we see in the films- a miserable place with scurrying nameless people and an insane Lord with no Councillors or advisors and who gives so little a fuck about his own people he doesn't not evacuate them- he leaves the women in children in the first circle in the most immediate danger on the front line!! And no one objects- not that there appears to be anyone else of import in PJ's Minas Tirith too object  Mad

Or to be short about- yeah looks nice- everything else, absolutely everything: places, climate, characters, mood, meaning, themes -all fucking wrong!!!!!!!  Extremely Crabbit }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:10 pm

halfwise wrote:It had definite moments.  The main thing is you don't want to miss Minas Tirith on film.  That justifies its existence right there, in my book.  Despite Petty's grumps about the Pelennor fields, the city itself is....spectacular.  More than you could have wished for in fact.

Gandalf charging out to save Faramir on Shadowfax, the charge of the Rohirrim. They are my all time favourite scenes of all films I have ever seen. and that's in one film. Razz

but there are so many many wondrous things in that film. Eagles, volcanos, Far Green Countries, Arwens with banners, mountains with torches, its endless.....joy.  Razz

fake edit. affraid I thought you meant ROTK too.

oh The Hobbit 3rd film. don't bother. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Despite Petty's grumps about the Pelennor fields, the city itself is....spectacular. More than you could have wished for in fact.- Halfy

{{OI! Those are not grumps!  Mad  Those are legitimate crabbit criticisms  Twisted Evil  Its not just the Pellanor Fields I complain about regards Minas Tirith!- yes the city looks nice but absolutely everything all around it is wrong- the fauna, the climate, the landscape, the rest of Gondor in fact which in the films consists of one big city with no food and one ruined city with no food! No wonder everyone is no bloody miserable there- and thats another thing! Nowhere in PJ's Minas Tirith do I see the spirit of the people represented as Tolkien does via Beregrond- that will to fight to the very last in the belief that some good will survive if good people defend it to the very last, somewhere, somehow a spring will come again. Think of when the Nazgul passes overhead and they despair until Pippin in typical hobbit fashion shakes it off first and rouses Beregrond- thats the spirit of the people of Minas Tirith right there- not what we see in the films- a miserable place with scurrying nameless people and an insane Lord with no Councillors or advisors and who gives so little a fuck about his own people he doesn't not evacuate them- he leaves the women in children in the first circle in the most immediate danger on the front line!! And no one objects- not that there appears to be anyone else of import in PJ's Minas Tirith too object  Mad

Or to be short about- yeah looks nice- everything else, absolutely everything: places, climate, characters, mood, meaning, themes -all fucking wrong!!!!!!!  Extremely Crabbit }}}

yeaaaaaaah......nope.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Hee hee, do I smell cross fire ? Smile

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:52 pm

{{{I smell the crabbit truth  Twisted Evil - PJ's Minas Tirith has only a very thin surface resemblance to the same section in the book- almost nothing is the same beyond the visuals of the city. The characters are all changed (some like Denethor out of all recognition) or cut, what happens is changed, why things happen is changed and as I said the themes Tolkien uses the character of Beregrond and his son to get across are entirely absent despite being crucial to the mood of that section.
The fact that everything outside the city walls is also visually wrong is a minor sin in comparison to what is done to plot, themes and characters by PJ in Minas Tirith.  Evil or Very Mad }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 pm

pity it looks exactly how I imagined Minas Tirith then. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:47 pm

{{Dunno how you can say that with a straight face Figg- the surrounds of Minas Tirith are nothing like as described in the book with fields and homesteads and farms and the hillsides covered in vineyards and stuff. None of those things are in the film- the Pelennor has no fields, no farms, no homes, its just a huge flat plain of dust in the film. And the climate should be Mediterranean. Not the same as everywhere else in the north! Mad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Minas Tirith in the film is actually better than the description in the book.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 pm

{{{{ slap laugh I'm going to be generous and assume you're on the wine! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:08 am

Pew pew, shots fired!

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Latest?cb=20110310113733&path-prefix=de

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:35 am

I think the grass on the Pelennor field looks about right at least.

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 am

{{What as in barely present and short yellow and brown when it is? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:04 am

The walls are the wrong shade of white.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:39 am

{{{More like PJ's script is a vivid shade of shite! Nod }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:07 am

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 6 Zgla8.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popkey&i=mrw-reactions&l=direct&f=

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:27 am

I never cared for how the stonework of Minas Tirith, including its vaunted walls, crumbled like sugar cubes whenever they were hit by the catapults.

Everything about Gondor, including the city of Minas Tirith and its surrounding geography, is smaller than described in the book, but it feels a little churlish to complain about matters of scale given that PJ stretched the capabilities of New Zealand's film industry well past their normal limits in order to achieve as much as he did. I still think he could've included the Captains of the Outlands, though, and had the film!Gondorians have the presence of mind to evacuate Minas Tirith of civilians (all the weirder given that the Rohirrim are shown doing this in TTT).

halfwise wrote:The walls are the wrong shade of white.

The outer wall was supposed to be black, though to be fair to PJ, this has been consistently ignored by Tolkien illustrators for decades.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:37 am

None of this stops Return of the King from being a great film IMO, even though its story and setting are not as complex and well-developed as in the book. I can't really disagree with most of Petty's criticisms about it being an unfaithful adaptation (though I think Beregond was always going to be doomed in a theatrical film for reasons of length), but I think the films were mostly successful at telling the story they aimed to, Denethor's death scene notwithstanding.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:29 pm

I must admit, I love the scene where Theoden is rousing his troops and they begin that charge down the hill....

And I actually like bits of the start of TH Movie one. I can live with the song about chipping the plates and even caverns deep. I suspect parts of Bag End were Toro's doing... But things quickly turned to a fouler shade of shite, as Petty says... Sad

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 pm

it feels a little churlish to complain about matters of scale given that PJ stretched the capabilities of New Zealand's film industry well past their normal limits - Eldo

{{I dont think its churlish as all the wide shots of Minas Tirith and the surrounds are cgi. There is no reason at all they could not have had fields, farms, homesteads, vineyards on the hillsides ect and a generally more Mediterranean vibe to the climate and fauna and appearance.
The reason they don't has nothing to do with stretching New Zealand's film industry but about PJ's scripts insistence that bad =dark and grey everywhere, showing shades of grey or light- say a Minas Tirith that has a glimmer of defiant hope, a leader who is both going mad through grief and despair and making competent preparations to defend his city and people to the last none the less- would be too much for a poor viewers mind to deal with and they would become confused and wander off. Mad

And secondly PJ needed a huge big flat area of land to recreate the Battle of Hoth with Mumakil as AT-AT's and Rohirrim as Snow Speeders- and a bunch of fields and farms would have hampered his visual spectacle (as it tramples over the script on the way by).

Just think instead we could have had cgi that looks like Gondor- too scale, with sustainable land for its population- we could have had the other Captains arriving witnessed by Pippin, even if there was no time for Bergrond and son- but it could have been used to convey both the mood of defiance in the people as well as their fears in the numbers being too little- ratcheting up tension.

We could have had the enemy arriving across the fields, ever closer, burning the farms as they come and laying the fire trenches before the siege engines roll up. After the (admittedly good in the films) charge of the Rohirrim scene we could have had instead of the Mumakil and ghosts more gritty, believable, and so more tense fighting which goes on into the night among the burning farms and fields as the army of Gondor pushing out from the gates and Aragorn and co come up form the sea and the Rohirrim fight to meet them.

Instead we got green ghost bubbles scrubbing the place clean and as they are dead already they are invincible-rendering everyone elses sacrifice to that point utterly useless- if the Rohirrim had stayed home it would not have made a blind bit of difference- if all Gondor had done was sat in the top circles and waited it out that would have worked fine- no one had to do anything in PJ's films except for Aragorn- and all he had to do was turn up- he is only fighting for fun as there is absolutely no reason otherwise to fight, he could have sat on the ship till the ghosts were done. Its ridiculous. And people love it!!!! Evil or Very Mad Praise it! Banghead say its the best of the three! Banghead And thats before taking into account that he fucks the main theme of the book with Frodo on the other storyline!!!! Extremely Crabbit }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:46 pm

The green scrubbing bubbles were the worst of the sins (even worse than Denethor), and there is no forgiveness to be had. But I can well understand wanting a clear canvas upon which to paint a battle with charges and the like, so I forgive the blank slate of the Pelennor. I wouldn't have wanted to deal with that headache either.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next