Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

+12
bungobaggins
halfwise
Orwell
David H
davidjoneshoward
Ringdrotten
ElendilTheShort
Radaghast
Elthir
azriel
dak
Forest Shepherd
16 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by davidjoneshoward Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:39 am

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Weight-loss-peter-jackson

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 461766766-director-peter-jackson-attends-his-new-film-gettyimages

poor peter Crying or Very sad
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.

Post by malickfan Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Despite all the issues I had with the trilogy, and the liklihood that Jackson was bound by his contract to step in when GDT left, he still has a great deal more passion, independent spirit and understanding of his fans than many hollywood filmmakers do i.m.o, working 18 hour days for weeks or months at a time wouldn't be fun for anyone, more so in his case when he had barely any prep time, was a decade older and was battling against the hype and popularity of his own previous films...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjoneshoward Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Wiki wrote:Style
Jackson is known for his attention to detail, a habit of shooting scenes from many angles, a macabre sense of humour, and a general playfulness—the latter to a point that The Lord of the Rings conceptual designer Alan Lee jokingly remarked, "the film is almost incidental really".

Jackson was a noted perfectionist on the Lord of the Rings shoot, where he demanded numerous takes of scenes, requesting additional takes by repeatedly saying, "one more for luck". Jackson is also renowned within the New Zealand film industry for his insistence on "coverage"—shooting a scene from as many angles as possible, giving him more options during editing. Jackson has been known to spend days shooting a single scene. This is evident in his work where even scenes featuring simple conversations often feature a wide array of multiple camera angles and shot-sizes as well as zooming closeups on characters' faces. One of his most common visual trademarks is shooting close-ups of actors with wide-angle lenses. He was an early user of computer enhancement technology and provided digital special effects to a number of Hollywood films.

Yes, disregarding all the flaws that have (relentlessly) been pinned on PJ, I love the loose and improvish feeling of his work that probably would have been lost if he was forced to follow the book. Based on the behind the scenes, some of the things that needed the most work (like parts of the script and plot changes) were decided on the spot, and to imagine any other type of movie would be very hard. It completely has it own type of feel and that's why it holds up all this time.
davidjoneshoward
davidjoneshoward
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 pm

'I love the loose and improvish feeling of his work that probably would have been lost if he was forced to follow the book'- davidjones

Or we might have got something closer to an adaptation of Tolkien had PJ been less inclined to make it all up on the spot. Also one could be critical here and say the reason PJ shoots every scene from so many angles is that he hasn't got a clue what he wants when he is shooting it, and is just praying there is enough different footage in the can when he is done that he can splice something together later that makes some sort of sense in the editing suite.

As to the films holding up over time- well I didn't think they held up at the time! drunken }}}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:18 pm

I do that..... I take several shots on my phone of say.....the cats....& then choose the best out of all the ones I took. Load them up on the computer & pick the ones I like best. Ive always felt Peejers was very "hit N miss" with his directing. He seemed too "loosey Goosey" A sort of "whatever" attitude. It comes across very powerfully I feel.

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:46 pm

LotR was not so hit and miss as the Hobbit, but now we know how rushed there were with it. Though I think they could have made their lives easier by a faithful adaption of the book, I don't think the flaws of the Hobbit can be blamed on multiple coverage style of directing. In fact I would call that one of PJ's strengths.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Has anyone yet said they would "cast" Peter Jackson out? It's not a good joke... but if you read this post to the end you can never get back the precious seconds it took (to read... and write).

Evil or Very Mad

Let's see...

Alicia Vikander as Arwen

The guy who played Loki as Faramir

A grey horse as Shadowfax
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:19 am

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 MjJiqSJ
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I would chose Stacy Martin as Arwen. she was great in The Tale of Tales.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 26, 2016 8:58 pm

This is actually pretty interesting, though I think they put the wrong faces on some of them. (not the original cast, just some actors they tried to cast and didn't get)

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a45254/lotr-original-cast/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 pm

halfwise wrote:This is actually pretty interesting, though I think they put the wrong faces on some of them.  (not the original cast, just some actors they tried to cast and didn't get)

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a45254/lotr-original-cast/

I don't know whats worse..oh yes I do its Nicolas Cage as Aragorn....what! Lucy Lawless as Galadriel Laughing  boy theres some truly horrific casting in that lot..yeuch! silent
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Wasn't there someone doing Aragorn's rally speech at the Black Gate as Nicholas Cage? That was pretty damn hilarious.

The only one on there I really wanted was Daniel Day Lewis as Aragorn.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 27, 2016 7:03 am

I wanna say it was DJH who posted this before? I agree it's pretty great. Very Happy

Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat May 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Eldorion wrote:I wanna say it was DJH who posted this before? I agree it's pretty great. Very Happy

Laughing

I think we dodged a very big bullet on that casting No

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 28, 2016 11:57 pm

The biggest bullet in the universe.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 pm

From  a recent post on TORn:

At the Wellington Armageddon/Comic Con this past weekend, Graham had a panel talk where someone asked about the GDT Hobbit. He said people are still feeling a bit reluctant to talk about the differences, but maybe one day they won't be. The only one thing Graham did say was that "Brian Cox would have been Thorin in Guillermo's Hobbit".

Cox would have been a great choice  Sad , Armitage is a great actor himself, but despite all PJ and co's efforts I still remain firmly in the older Thorin camp (even if it actually sorta contradicted by some of Tolkien's writings in the H.O.M.E on Dwarven Ageing)

As McTavish as privy to the details I wonder if GDT was the one to originally cast hinm?

Last edited by malickfan on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:19 pm

I think Brian Cox would have been a far more interesting Thorin Smile He can do vanity, he was good as Agamemnon in TROY Smile

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Who would you cast?- A fun thread to discuss alternate casting, no limitations.  - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:36 pm

I tell you would have been suitably cantankerous, Philip Glenister. oh boy a sarcastic Northern Thorin. brilliant. Razz I had forgotten how great Life on Mars was.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:45 pm

{{{Great call Figg- yup I think we have a very strong Thorin contender there Nod }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 am

Here's the casting thread Halfwise.

halfwise wrote:Okay, I clearly remember having a casting thread, but can't find it.  So I just pick something and put this in: we could have had David Bowie as Gandalf!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-real-reason-david-bowie-wasnt-in-lord-of-the-rings_us_584f1fc8e4b04c8e2bb1578e

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:32 am

How'd you find it? scratch I looked through all the pages.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 am

I searched for "cast". Only four results came up, and this was one of them. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:13 pm

OH, I just realized, this is in the HOBBIT thread, not LotR. That's why I never found it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:53 am

The search feature is your friend!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 am

To be honest, I don't have too much of a problem with casting - it's the script that is rubbish.... Though Movie 3 might be brilliant... don't know... still haven't seen it.....

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next