Norc
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Empty Dain Ironfoot finally cast

Post by Norc Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 am

http://www.wetanz.com/billy-conolly-joins-the-hobbit-cast

Billy Connolly is joining the cast of Tolkien's epic "The Hobbit."
The announcement was made today by Peter Jackson, who is currently in production on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "The Hobbit: There and Back Again," with the films shooting back-to-back in New Zealand.
In the films, Connolly ("The Last Samurai," "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events") will play Dain Ironfoot, a great dwarf warrior and cousin of Thorin Oakenshield. Peter Jackson welcomed the news of Connolly to Middle-earth: "We could not think of a more fitting actor to play Dain Ironfoot, the staunchest and toughest of Dwarves, than Billy Connelly, the Big Yin himself. With Billy stepping into this role, the cast of "The Hobbit" is now complete.
We can't wait to see him on the Battlefield!"
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Empty Re: Dain Ironfoot finally cast

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 am

oh great bit of news Norc, we have been waiting ages to know who would play Dain. cool. and the casting is excellent, Billy Connolly can do straight acting very well. He was in that film Timeline as a Professor of archeology, and he was very convincing, although the film was a bit dodgy, and no where near as good as the book.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 am

Well, at least now we know that Dain won't be cut out of the films like Tom Bombadil or Prince Imrahil! cheers I'll drink to that! drunken

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am

Believe it or not, I didn't even know until the films that dwarves were Scottish.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:45 am

If you think you were suprised dwarves were Scots think how I felt- I always thought they were welsh! Very Happy

I'm in two minds about casting the big Yin- as Mrs Figg says he can do straight roles, such as in the brilliant Mrs Brown, but in other stuff he is a bit stiff and unnatural, he needs careful direction I think as straight acting is not his first love or something which seems to come naturally to him.
This will be an interesting one to see how it works out.

Billy in Mrs Brown.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:48 am

A Scot! I wonder how this casting rates on the Crabbitmeter.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 am

A good question-I can't speak for the National Meter which is the one printed in the NotP- but lets see, my personnal meter is at-

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Meterblankcrabbuckieline

Mmm as I suspected, could still go either way and still on a downer from all the Tauriel talk- still the news Dain is there at all seems to have (hopefully) put pay to the possibility PJ was going to leave him out and make one of the thirteen King- so thats perked the meter back up a bit.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:32 am

It's nice to see that Dain will be included. I thought that was one of the stranger rumors floating around (he's sort of an important character Rolling Eyes ) but to be perfectly honest I could have believed it. Still, it's nice. I wonder if the late announcement means that Dain doesn't have very many scenes since filming is over halfway finished by now.

NB I split this into its own thread since it's a fairly major announcement and I don't want it to get lost in the endless news thread. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 am

Billy Connelly joins Hobbit cast.

http://au.eonline.com/news/billy_connolly_joins_hobbit_cast/292828

Sorry, just seen the other post.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 am

I remember one of Billy's tours of Newzealand a while ago and admitted he didn't like lotr's, it wasn't his kind of film.
So has he had a change of mind ? I do think he will play the part well thou, and i do think he's funny, but for not liking lotr's
thats unforgivable. Mad
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:24 am

No worries, I merged these posts too. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:24 am

GDT said in an interview a long time ago that he didn't care for The Hobbit (the book) and loads of people who've worked on all the films had never read them or been put off by them. A cast member not liking the earlier movies is new for me, though. Interesting stuff, Chris. study
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:33 am

its probably just Scottshobbit crabbit, I bet he loves the books really. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am

Eldorion wrote:
NB I split this into its own thread since it's a fairly major announcement and I don't want it to get lost in the endless news thread. Laughing

wisely done ^^

I don't know this actor, but it is great that Dain is finally cast. I don't think we should be troubled about him being cast so late, he turns up quite late in the movie anyway Wink As far as him not liking LOTR, well.. he's only going to act a dwarf, if he does it and we like it, who cares if LOTR wasn't his type of movie. we can't expect everyone to love LOTR. Remember, Viggo Mortensen hadn't read the book and probably many of the cast hadn't heard or heard little of it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:38 pm

don't know this actor-Norc

He is primarily a stand up comic (genrally considered one of the best ever). He came to acting late in life and is probably more known for voice overs in animations. He was also recently in Gullivers Travels as the King of Liiliput.

Very strong language.

Um sorry there is four but its so hard to pick favourites as pretty much everything he says reduces me to tears of hysterical laughter.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Personally I'm against Dwarf-casting, although Peter Jackson seems to think it's funny.

And now it's in the Hobbit too! sigh
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

You are against casting dwarves Elthir? scratch (Bit heightist surely!) Or you are against there being casting of dwarves? (Bit tricky in a film full of the buggers) Or you would ban the casting in plaster or metal of dwarves? scratch Or are you just against this particular casting? (So many possible meanings!) Shrugging

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh sorry Petty: I mean the physical casting of Dwarves across chasms and so forth -- so that they might attain a greater leaping than could be accomplished by simply jumping with their own two legs.

I say don't invent scenarios with Dwarf-difficult chasms in the first place! then there's no need to go hurling Tolkien's characters about.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Ahh Dwarf-tossing! Not the rude sort though! Embarassed Yeah PJ does have a thing for it and with a film full of Dwarves wont be suprised if Dain enters the Battle fired from a catapult. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Spoken like a true Lore Master Elthir. Very Happy Mysterious as the Oracle of Delphi.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Alec Guinness hated Star Wars, but he made a great Obi Wan Smile Not heard much about Connolly, but it's nice to see that Dain is finally confirmed.

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

They do it for the money, I hear. Rolling Eyes

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 am

Well, Guinness was the actor that made the most out of Star Wars because he meant it had potential and cut a deal, so you're right I guess Smile

Dain Ironfoot finally cast Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:06 pm

An interesting perspective on the casting of Connolly from the Guardian. It's written from a very British perspective so I'm curious what our UK members make of it.

More evidence has emerged suggesting that The Hobbit, Peter Jackson's forthcoming two-part prequel to his own Lord of the Rings trilogy, might just be a very different beast to its predecessors. With the news that Billy Connolly is to take the role of dwarf king Dain Ironfoot in his adaptation of JRR Tolkien's debut Middle-earth-set novel, Jackson appears to be taking stunt casting on the project to a level of which even Quentin Tarantino might be proud.

One of the factors which gave the Kiwi film-maker's earlier triptych its potent air of authenticity was the relative absence of familiar faces in key roles. The films were shot in New Zealand and lesser-known actors from the Antipodes such as then-relatively-obscure Karl Urban (Eomer), David Wenham (Faramir), Miranda Otto (Eowyn) and the irreplaceable John Noble (Denethor) took many of the supporting parts. It may have been a matter of convenience, but it lent the series a freshness and originality that might otherwise have been missing.

The Hobbit, by contrast, has already given us a lineup of dwarves and halflings that might have come straight from the little black book of a BBC TV casting director. Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock), Richard Armitage (Spooks, Robin Hood), Aidan Turner (Being Human), James Nesbitt (everything): Jackson could not have given us more familiar small screen faces had he decided to replace Cate Blanchett as Galadriel with the woman who played Ace in Doctor Who and parachuted in Keith Chegwin to portray Gandalf.

I must admit that the decision to cast Barry Humphries as The Goblin King struck me as genius when it was announced last year. But is it really so necessary for the Master of Lake-town to appear in the smug yet cuddly form of dear old Stephen Fry and wizard Radagast the Brown to arrive in the shape of ex-timelord Sylvester McCoy? I suspect these appearances will make it rather harder for us Brits to lose oneself in the story, a bit like if Luke Skywalker had been played by a young Phillip Schofield in the first Star Wars movie, with Roland Rat as Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back.

Connolly's appointment, in particular, seems likely to add an air of pantomime to the proceedings. While the Scots comic is a fine actor, his appearance as dwarf king Dain Ironfoot can be little more than a cameo at the end of part two of The Hobbit: There and Back Again. In Tolkien's fable-like novel, Dain turns up at the Battle of Five Armies to give his cousin Thorin a hand in his battle to defend newly liberated Erebor from invading forces of goblins, elves, men and wargs. The decision to cast a famous face in the role smacks of the kind of thinking that led the makers of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves to send in Sean Connery at the end of that rather glib Hollywood feature. Dain won't have much screen time, yet needs to make an instant impact: casting an actor of Connolly's status and gravitas instantly does the trick, but it's a quick and easy fix to a problem that (for me) deserved a more honest solution.

I hope this post won't be misread as some kind of anti-Jackson polemic. I have high hopes for The Hobbit and plenty of trust in the director's ability to produce two excellent films. But the casting approach has clearly been very different this time around. To audiences in the US and elsewhere, it may matter little. But to those of us in the UK who'll be more familiar with the actors involved, these movies may just lose a little of the mystery that informed the earlier trilogy.

All emphasis is mine. I'm not sure if I agree with this. Weren't Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, and Ian Holm all well-known before LOTR? Ian McKellen in particular had just starred in the first X-Men so I feel he would have been on a lot of people's radar, even those who don't follow theatre or small movies. Then again, superhero movies are always a mostly American phenomenon so maybe X-Men just wasn't a thing in the UK. While I agree that there are many signs that The Hobbit will be quite unlike LOTR (for better or worse) I'm not sure if this is one of them. Like I said though, I'm curious for the UK perspective. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 pm

As a Brit Eldo I will give you my take on this article. Basically this article has no substance to it, maybe he was asked to write something Hobbit inspired and the clever? person thought oh I know! I'll write about casting Billy Conolly and the comic connection.
Lets look at Lotr, most of the actors were well known to audiences before the film, in some form or other. Only the Ozzies, excluding Cate and Hugo were not well known. and the actors that play the Dwarves in The Hobbit apart from Armitage, Turner, Biffur, I have never seen before. Jackson is just choosing the best character actors for the job, most of them under layers of makeup, costume and prosthetics will be almost totally transformed, like Gimli was. When I look at Elrond do I see Mr. Smith from Matrix? I know I dont. When I saw Liv Tyler did I see a giggling rock chick or an Elven Princess? yes I did, totally. These actors are the best in the buisness because they can transform and act. Billy Connolly is also a serious actor, as is Fry and the only one I have never see take on such a serious role is Barry Humphries, but I doubt very much the great Goblin will be dressed as Dame Edna with pink spectacles and lipstick.
Just think about the film Orlando where Quentin Crisp played Queen Elizabeth 1, it was genius casting.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next