Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by malickfan Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:48 pm

I'll say nothing further on the matter, it's unusual and very Moffaty I'll give them that Neutral Suspect

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:29 pm

'PETER Capaldi has admitted he is banned from watching Doctor Who at home by his wife Elaine Collins.
The Scottish actor, 57, who plays the Time Lord, says he is forced to go to his trailer on set to catch up on old episodes.
He added: “I still watch shows on my day off but my wife won’t let me watch them. I can only watch them here.
“But it’s great because I just phone the office and ask for an episode and there’ll be a knock at the trailer door and it’ll be presented to me."
Capaldi also says he cried when he first heard the theme music written for his series. Revealing how much the show is part of his life, he said: “I live near where they record the music. The first thing they said was: ‘This is your theme’.
I got all teary. I know I’m over the top but I never thought I would hear that.
It’s great because I use music to get into character and have used previous Doctor Who soundtracks to help me in the past and they were quite taken with that.
“It is very intimidating because it is so big but it is also good to know you’re making that big thing.”- Daily Record

I suspect the paper might have got that last bit wrong and he is talking about his particular Doctors Theme rather than the shows main theme.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Finished season 8; don't feel much like posting thoughts now, maybe later today or tomorrow.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:10 pm

@malick

Why would people know the ending of season 9 this early on? All this drives me nuts. It happened with Jurassic World, and Star Wars 7. Do people not want to be surprised anymore? Do they have to know everything in advance? There is absolutely no fun in that.

I'm okay with this on something like Game of Thrones where the books were already out, but now that they're in uncharted territory I don't want the ending spoiled. I think it's much worse for works based on completely original material. Some jerk violates an NDA just for internet points.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:20 pm

bungobaggins wrote:@malick

Why would people know the ending of season 9 this early on? All this drives me nuts. It happened with Jurassic World, and Star Wars 7. Do people not want to be surprised anymore? Do they have to know everything in advance? There is absolutely no fun in that.

I guess the main problem is with the rise in digital media, and easy access to smaller, cheaper sources of recording or speculating on rumours and leaks, it's much easier to stumble across these things by accident (or on purpose), and subsequently a bigger reason for people to leak stuff or make up rumours, people nowadays are too used to having easy access to things almost instantly.

Though I could be a douche and say by this point It's sometimes easy to anticipate some of Moffat's tricks...

There's nothing to say anyone 'knows' anything, the rumour sounds both A) very interesting and B) total b*llocks i.m.o, a couple of Blury photos which send the fanbase into overdrive (though I have a feeling some of my other speculations are going to be accurate to some extent...) so I'm not going to worry about it-90% of what I guessed was going to happen last series was false, but it's interesting to speculate all the same, if it's right then it might be a whopper of an finale and/or teach me a lesson, if it's wrong (most likely) then the fanbase will have to get more creative with its 'leaks'...

Speaking personally I don't actively seek out rumours (at least not massive ones), but come across them from time to time on websites, articles etc and as I'm quite weak willed when it comes to this stuff, I usually just roll with it and see if it's interesting, In some ways I find being forewarned about a few possible events/themes in upcoming episodes etc is more fun as it gives me and/or other fans more to speculate about and/or time to get used to certain changes, I certainly don't mind going in 'blind' to news or rumours, but I think I lack the willpower to sometimes...

I post on another Who forum occasionally, and it's certainly much busier when rumours/news break, if only because a large proportion of rumours in cult programs such as this seem to be generated by fans, rather than leaked by 'proper' sources, forums such as this wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't spend half the time debating utter rubbish.

As for Jurassic World (I avoided everything, and ended up thinking it was overtly reliant on nostalgia and frankly, kinda shit) and Star Wars 7, there's so much news and nonsense floating around the internet, I can't even be bothered to follow any of it, I hope to be surprised (pleasantly or otherwise) come December...

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 pm

I pretty much spoiled myself as regards The Hobbit, not that it made much difference, it would still have been pants had I not known about birdpoo hats etc etc....
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I pretty much spoiled myself as regards The Hobbit, not that it made much difference, it would still have been pants had I not known about birdpoo hats etc etc....

Yeah, I'm extremely glad I followed (most of) the spoilers for The Hobbit, If I didn't know about Azog The Fork Monster, Raghastly and the Rock-em-Sock stone gaints beforehand I would have probably been even more annoyed, at least I was forewarned (unlike the poor bloke sitting behind me in the cinema, the whole way through he did a running commentary 'That wasn't in the book!' What's going on?' Why so little of the Hobbit? etc Laughing ) and could at least (attempt to) treat the film more on its own terms as a overblown LOTR prequel rather than a TH adaptation.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:37 pm

I followed most of the news and leaks about The Hobbit since it was based on a book I knew and I wanted to be on top of news for the forum, but with AUJ and DOS I did try to cut myself off from reading detailed descriptions of the movie post-premiere.  With BOFA I didn't really care anymore so I gorged on spoilers.

I'm pretty glad that I've managed to avoid any major Star Wars Episode VII spoilers so far.  Once or twice I've had to abruptly break off reading something because it started getting spoilery but so far I don't really know anything beyond what's been in the trailers.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:47 pm

Eldorion wrote: With BOFA I didn't really care anymore so I gorged on spoilers.

The opposite to me, I didn't care anymore so I'm stopped even pretending to worry about the changes, I went in totally spoiler free, came out completely indifferent anyway...

I'm pretty glad that I've managed to avoid any major Star Wars Episode VII spoilers so far

Even if you do come across spoilers this is JJ 'Nah he's not Khan, I'll spin some bullshit rumours for a year in the interests of secrecy' Abrams in the directors chair, wouldn't be surprised if he's got a hand in some of the leaks...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:50 am

I liked most of season 8. Peter Capaldi is a very good doctor. I enjoyed his performance much more than any other actor during the reboot series. I feel like it hearkened back to the original series doctors. He still had the enthusiastic energy that I would expect, but with the distinction that only comes with age. Miles away from 10, 11, and 12, IMO.

Best episode of this season was Listen, hands down. Why can't they all be that good? Mad

Sorry to see the finale descend into all too familiar territory, though. I think I remember Petty telling me that if they don't use the classic villains like the daleks and cybermen, the rights revert to someone else, or something like that. I understand that, but couldn't they save them for the more forgettable episodes?

I thought the beginning of the finale was interesting, but once they revealed the x-ray water it became predictable. The "president of the world" bit was laughable, and I can't imagine Moffat writing that down and not questioning some of his life's decisions. It just sounds like something a kid would come up with, borderline RTD-Obama-moment bad, this at least didn't carry any political baggage.

The death of Danny felt really cheap, and only seemed like a way to expedite Jenna Coleman leaving the show. I mean, this was no Amy and Rory relationship (not even close), but I did like Danny's headbutting relationship with the Doctor.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 am

I just wish they'd have the Xmas episodes on Netflix. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Odd they don't as its not really a stand alone- well its not at all, the story is standalone but not the Doctor/Clara story line- in that sense the xmas episode is the final episode of series 8 and therefore fairly essential given how the actual series ended regards them.

Russia is the latest country to be getting last series finale in cinemas in 3D- so thats north america, holland and russia- still no UK.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:01 pm

The BBC have released a bunch of promo pics for the series-

The Doctor looking suave and velvety!

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imagde.php_zps6iveiuvi

Clara, looking um jumpery-

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Image.php_zpsiye3dgcz

Missy posing and looking evil (is that not her kill people on a whim device she is holding?)

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imaddge.php_zpsqrmt1bqw

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imagffe.php_zpsv3vhshsg

Kate Stewart looking rather casual for the Head of UNIT, guessing she is not at work for this -

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imagefff.php_zpsjtiz7hj7

Not sure whats going on on that map- but looks like a lot of the planet is under attack or screwed in some way going by all the red dots, never a good sign a map of red dots!

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imfffage.php_zpsegwips3c

The Doctor and the TARDIS-

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imadddge.php_zpss8pvbgch

Every inch the rebel Timelord-

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Imagef.php_zpsuvfm6w5d

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Clara is sporting some George at Asda style. not good. she used to be so cute. as for Missy. boring. cant they shake up the late Victorian thing?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 pm

I thought Missy was dead or something.

Sorry, what decade is it? I seem to be confused about everything.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:54 pm

not good. she used to be so cute.- Figg

Nothing used to be about it. She most definitely still is bounce

as for Missy. boring. cant they shake up the late Victorian thing?- Figg

Why should they? That's her new iconic look- for 30 years he looked liek a black haired white guy with a goatee and a tight black suit. You didn't demand when the Master was a man he change his dress and style sense why do it now?

'I thought Missy was dead or something. '- Forest

As happens every single time they clash- yet somehow always comes back again!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Cause Moffat seems weirdly obsessed with Victorian themes and he needs to get over it. Just as you keep moaning about RTD and modern London. And I am sure Missy has a wardrobe, just as I am sure Master goat beard changed his shirts occasionally too.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Moffat isn't particularly obsessed with  it- Gattiss yes, he loves Victorianian and has set a few episodes there starting in RTD era with the Unquiet Dead in series 1 of NuWho.
But the Victorian era is a long standing favourite period of Who- the 4th Doctor spent quite a lot of time there too.

Change of shirt yes, change of style no- shirt, tight black suit of some sort and black goatee was how the Master appeared in classic across 2 different actors- he never changed style once.
Missy, whilst still in Victorian era clothing here is wearing a different outfit from when we last saw her, its also a different colour now.

As you can see variations on the theme of black suit and goatee- when 'disguised' as a human he goes for black suit white short an black tie combo, when not disguised its black space suit and goatee-

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 4c168546db1dd9287c1550cd11dcbfe6839894b0_zpswarqjcvr

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 The-master6_zpsrza4uauj

Doctor Who [11] - Page 12 Masterthe_zpsxr9qwdmi

I don't see why it should be any different now the character is female, unless you are implying a female version should be obsessed with appearance and have to change how they look all the time when they never did so as a male. Shrugging

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Mh. Then you can never be annoyed about Rose and modern London again cause Rose changed her outfit all the time! cheers

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Oh I think if you add them up you will find far fewer Moffat era episodes set in Victorian London than you will RTD episodes set in contemporary London of Rose's time- far, far more RTd modern London ones. Plus there is another huge downside to those episodes they feature Rose and her soap opera family. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Loving Capaldi's new suit jacket Thumbs Up

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Yeah very shades of the 3rd Doctor indeed- but it doesn't half suit him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Wardrobes aside, I hope it will be a good episode og series or whatever. Being reminded of the things I wasn't too impressed about make me too hopeful.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Oh I think if you add them up you will find far fewer Moffat era episodes set in Victorian London than you will RTD episodes set in contemporary London of Rose's time- far, far more RTd modern London ones. Plus there is another huge downside to those episodes they feature Rose and her soap opera family. Mad

But they changed their clothes, so it's all good!

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 pm

For the record there are no Victorian era episodes in Moffat era Who in series 5. You have to go to A Good Man Goes to War to get Victorian England midway through series 6- and then its only a five minute section when he recruits Vastra and Jenny.
After that its The Snowmen, which is set in Victorian London and written by Moffat (his first set in that era I might add), then there is Crimson Horror- which is Victorian but not London (its Yorkshire) and is a Gattiss episode.
Series 8 opens with a Moffat story in Victorian London, Deep Breath. And that's your lot.
Under Moffat there are only 2 stories set entirely in Victorian era London- out of 55 episodes.
So Lord knows where you get the notion Moffat is obsessed with the era- the evidence does not at all support that.

Now I woner how many RTD episodes were set in contemporary London- I don't think I have the time to count that many!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next