Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 6 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That will be the same poll that puts Donna Noble in third, behind Amy Pond?

no that's the poll that puts Donna second and Amy Pond fifth after K9.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 pm

You said 'official' the official poll was done by BBC America for the 50th- its top 5 are-

Sarah Jane, Dona Noble, Ace, Amy Pond, Rose Tyler.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Jamie will always remain the best companion in my eyes, charming, brave, loyal to a fault (if a little...stupid at times) and rarely a screaming sidekick lumbered with exposition, rather a proactive true best friend to the Doctor with an interesting backstory, I'd probably say Troughton (or Tom Baker) is subjectively the 'best' Doctor as well, purely for  strength of his performance and the influence he had on the role, though I wouldn't necessarily say they are favorites of mine.

I'd quite like to see another full time male or historical companion in the show to shake up the format a bit.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Jamie came 6th in that poll- which is pretty good for a companion few have seen much of given so many of his stories are lost, same goes of course for Troughton's Doctor, but what we have is so good its impossible not to rate them both very highly Nod One of my all time favourite companions is Jamie, him and Rory for me are easily the two best male companions in Who.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Jamie came 6th in that poll- which is pretty good for a companion few have seen much of given so many of his stories are lost, same goes of course for Troughton's Doctor, but what we have is so good its impossible not to rate them both very highly Nod  One of my all time favourite companions is Jamie, him and Rory for me are easily the two best male companions in Who.

With the exception of John Hurt I'd still rank Troughton as the best actor to play the role (with Mcoy being the worst), and I think he established the character for most of the other doctors. I liked the way Trougton undersells the Doctors cleverness, on the surface he's happily bumbling along as a very approachable, but eccentric and sometimes ineffectual 'cosmic hobo' , but contrasts this with a level of deep intelligence and morose trickery that comes out of the blue when the moment calls for it, you never doubt he's the cleverest and oddest man in the room, but unlike some of the later Doctors he never acts like he's the most important man in it, making it all the more interesting when he proves it.

Trougton (much like Hartnell) acts less outwardly Alien and Eccentric, but ends up all the more convincing for doing so, it's a very clever duality and I can see clear echoes of it in Smith's performance.

I think my favourite thing about the Second Doctor and Jamie's friendship is how unlikely it is (a ancient deceptively bumbling space alien and an impulsive slighty goofy warrior) yet you still are completely convinced by the two actors chemistry, polar opposites that attract completely. It's a shame so much of the 60's is lost, despite budgetary and pacing issues, I was very impressed by the sheer imagination and variety of the stories. I liked Rory alot as well, the straight man to Smith erractic lunancy.

From the clips I've heard Frazer Hines also does a spookily accurate impression of Troughton on the audios as well, his voice isn't quite as deep but the mannerisms are spot on, liked Rory alot as well, the straight man to Smith's eccentric lunacy. I'm slowly making progress through reading the BBC EDA's and I'm quite looking forward to getting to know Fitz Kriener (he was also in one of the audios, hillarious and very different to what you'd expect in a companion-loyal and wide eyed to be sure, but a lazy snarky chain smoking ladies man, more concerned with saving his own skin than the galaxy):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/EighthDoctorAdventures

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I saw Hines talking recently about playing the 2nd Doctor, and how he often has to play a scene between the Doctor and Jamie and does it all together in one take, switching from one voice to the other.

Who news!

Moffat says he does not see the Doctor's gender as fixed-

“I’m not making it inevitable and I’m not preventing it; I’m just saying ‘it’s possible.”
“In my head, rationally, it seems to me — you know how human beings are never completely male or female; you’re mostly a woman, I’m mostly a man? — that maybe a male Time Lord is someone most of whose regenerations are male,” Moffat continued. “Maybe he’ll have a couple of female ones. The science-fiction of that would make sense to me.
“It’s not an impossibility to have a lady Doctor. It is not a lock either. There is no guarantee. I wish sometimes that the politics of that would take a backseat and we’d just talk about the art, because it’s not really about that. It’s just about ‘would it work?’ The day it will work is when somebody says, ‘That person would be amazing,’ and the most conservative, most traditional member of the audience says, ‘Oh god, yes. I would hate the idea of a lady Doctor, but that one would be great.'”
Asked what qualities an actor, male or female, needs to be considered for the role, Moffat replied: “Sheer carved out of solid star. Someone who you can’t take your eyes off, not because they’re beautiful — usually they’re not quite beautiful — somebody whose face is so fascinating.” - Radio Times

And Capaldi talks Who among other things on Larry King-

http://www.ora.tv/larrykingnow/article/2015/7/31/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-maisie-williams-game-of-thrones

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Moffat's mostly a man? Suspect What he gets up to on the weekends is his buisness I guess Laughing

But on a serious note I'd agree with him, I'm mostly apposed to a female Doctor, but if the right actress and writing team could make it work without making it seem a gimmick then I suppose I could be persuaded.

-Though, wouldn't they have to make it a gimmick in some way? None of the people screaming loudest for a female Doctor are asking for it to happen merely so they can tick a box, I get the impression from other forums some fans want them to make a big song and dance over casting a female doctor, just so they can have a quirky female Character to root for, and be pleased with themselves over how progressive they seem, if you draw too much attention to it, it risks putting the actress in question on a pedestal and would arguably damage the idea she's playing the same character, a female Doctor shouldn't just be viewed as The female doctor, but I'm not entirely convinced the writers or fandom would accept it otherwise.

I haven't yet seen an convincing argument either way that dosen't boil down to 'Well...why Not?' which i.m.o isn't a convincing enough reason for such a potentially risky and sensitive matter.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:48 pm

I agree, for me it needs two things- someone who they audition for the role that just blows the competition out the water, and a very good impetus in the story and writing for it to happen. 'Just because' doesn't seem good enough and there is no merit in doing it just because a section of the audience want it to happen for their own political/social agenda reasons.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:09 pm

I think another risk is one Peter Davison pointed out:

However, former Time Lord Peter Davison has dismissed the idea and insisted the character should remain a man.

He told ABC News: "I speak now as a fan who grew up watching it.

"I have trouble with the idea of a female Doctor, only because I reckon if you're both on Gallifrey a man, you're probably a male Time Lord.The Fifth Doctor insisted the modern series needed to retain the dynamic of an "uncertain" Doctor with a strong female companion, as with current stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman.

He added: "It seems to me if you reverse that, if you have an uncertain, fallible female Doctor with a really strong male companion, you've got more of a stereotype than anything else."

There aren't many pacifist, relatively chaste male rolemodels in modern Sci Fi anyway, I know it would alienate alot of fans...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 pm

I hadn't considered Davidson's opinion I have to admit. He might have a point. A point it might be useful to have some female perspective on. Ladies you're up.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You said 'official' the official poll was done by BBC America for the 50th- its top 5 are-

who says its the official poll? its A poll. one of many.

and as for the Doctor being female. Moffat has fucked that up nicely. by making the Master female he has singlehandedly removed any possibility that the Doctor will also be female any time this century.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Never mind that! Mad There's a poll for everyone.

What about Davidson's comment-

"I have trouble with the idea of a female Doctor, only because I reckon if you're both on Gallifrey a man, you're probably a male Time Lord.The Fifth Doctor insisted the modern series needed to retain the dynamic of an "uncertain" Doctor with a strong female companion, as with current stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman.

He added: "It seems to me if you reverse that, if you have an uncertain, fallible female Doctor with a really strong male companion, you've got more of a stereotype than anything else."

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:55 pm

I just answered it
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:You said 'official' the official poll was done by BBC America for the 50th- its top 5 are-

who says its the official poll? its A poll. one of many.

and as for the Doctor being female. Moffat has fucked that up nicely. by making the Master female he has singlehandedly removed any possibility that the Doctor will also be female any time this century.

I don't think its' worth taking polls too seriously, the people who take the time to answer these sorts of things probably aren't representative of the average viewer, and it would be heavily slanted in favour of the New Series probably because its easier to get access to those episodes.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion?, Missy made transgender regens canon, I'm not a fan of Missy but she's popular enough with the fanbase, Moffat seems to be easing people in slowly, and he's done more than any other writer to make a female doctor possible.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01 am

Did you add that Figg in an edit- Id swear it wasnt there before! Shocked

But I dont see how making the Master a woman means the Doctor cant be female.
Making the Master a woman was the next logical preparatory step- first Moffat introduced the idea, then he gave us the name of an actual Time Lord friend of the Doctor who had been a woman a few times the Corsair, and then he made a Time Lord we have only ever seen male, female.
I'd say he was doing the groundwork in the shows canon (what passes for it!) for a future female Doctor. Not denying it.

edit add- and what Malick said Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:02 am

what? female Doctor and female Master? together? written by Moffat? No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 am

Might never happen under Moffat if he doesn't think there's a reason or actor suitable at the time- but if it does happen in the future after him it will be in no small part down to the work he has put in making the idea part of the shows mythos.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:11 am

hardly. it was fan pressure.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18 am

If fans had anything to do with it at all he was probably just sick to death of the question and thought 'Ill juts set it all up in the show to demonstrate that I don't care who plays the Doctor so long as its a great idea and they are great in the role."

Which is why when asked yet again at Comic-con he just indicated Gomez sitting next to him and said "You're answers sitting right there. My answer is in the show what I think of the possibility, don't you think?"

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 am

so fan pressure then.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:29 am

I see no reason to not think he is being completely honest when he says he doesn't have a problem with it, the answer to ho he feels about is expressed in what he has done on the show- prepare the groundwork for it- and I think that's a fair response to make.
You just want to continue to paint him as some sort of woman hating sexist despite in this case the evidence being overwhelmingly to the contrary.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:52 am

ha ha ha No.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:07 pm

The BBC have released this for the 1st episode- The Magician Apprentice-

Doctor Who [11] - Page 6 Image.php_zpsoowus8s5

Lots of classic vibe for me here- Hartnell checked trousers and waistcoat- flash of 3 in the jackets red, 11's boots, and Clara looks quite late 60's/early 70's here too.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 pm

I skipped the long Rose bashing. No time atm. Billie is a better actor. I believe what she is telling me. Rose has a soul. Amy is a fanfic attempt to make a better and more interessting Rose, and it didn't work. Rory was good though. Pink was awful. Mickey all over again. Clara is a Donna Copy, only she starts as doctordonna and then forgets.

I dread a female doctor. And/or the return of Jenny(?). It will take a lot of skill from both actor and writer, from what I've seen then this is not the time.

I am feeling a faint hope for the next season... It's progress at least.

-Ama on the phone on holiday.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next