halfwise
Bluebottle
Eldorion
17 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 24 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:26 pm

yep, I count 5 out of 6 of those who would not let themselves be manipulated. There may be sexual pandering, yes; but sexism? I really don't see it any more than most modern shows have it. Why GoT gets singled out when it has done more to put women in strong roles than any other show is sort of beyond me.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:33 pm

Who is saying it's okay elsewhere while it's wrong in GoTs? No one.

Who is saying it's okay in GoTs because it is wrong elsewhere? You, it seems.

Sorry, I don't follow your logic. No one has claimed there isn't a lot of things wrong with other tv-shows. The people you have labelled hysterics have written plenty on these matters in other contexts.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:D&D don't need to defend themselves over non existent sexism, why should they pander to the ridiculous criticisms.

Non-existant sexism? Razz On the show that turned a male character into a female one, because a mother being killed by zombie children, leaving her own children unprotected and probably impendingly dead, would have more emmotional ressonance.

That's one of your strong women™️ right there.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

I'm sorry guys, for anyone having seen the last season professing those views. That's impressively blinkered. (And you both seem to buy into the PR, which is.. impressive too. )

Let's talk when you've woken up to the realities of the show. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Ah, I'm sorry. I'm really tired and not in a great mood.

I do stand by all I've said, but please be aware it's nothing personal.

I just really detest this show. (And I think my reasons for doing so are more than a little valid.)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Who is saying it's okay elsewhere while it's wrong in GoTs? No one.

Who is saying it's okay in GoTs because it is wrong elsewhere? You, it seems.

Sorry, I don't follow your logic. No one has claimed there isn't a lot of things wrong with other tv-shows. The people you have labelled hysterics have written plenty on these matters in other contexts.

The point is that it's no worse in GoT than in other shows, yet it seems to be receiving the maximum venom.

I'll go further. People ARE picking out things that would get by in other shows, and turning them upside down claiming there are things there that are not. To me the main demonstration of this point is the now infamous Tyrion with prostitutes scene. In the show as opposed to the books, he chose NOT to rape someone. The critics jump in saying "oh, that's just making a male hero out of Tyrion! How sexist!" (Really??) Reverse book and show, and the same people would most certainly be saying "They put a rape scene in there just because they're misogynistic!" Everything done in the show is seen and dissected with this preset mentality. Try watching it like any other show for a change. Reading the critics you post just wears me out with the deliberate snarkiness.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:08 pm

I for one don't mind women on top - leaves you with an extra pair of hands which can be put to good use Nod

(((Ringo out of thread)))

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 24 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 am

@Ringo

:clap:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:06 am

Are you applauding her, you .... or just the general happy situation?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 am

I can only speak for myself, but I come here to try to have a good time talking about topics that are interesting and enjoyable for me. I try to keep in mind the fact that entertainment is more or less an ultimately pointless diversion from our everyday lives. I have spent plenty of time on this and other forums discussing and sometimes criticizing entertainment that I found disappointing, but I've tried (albeit not always successfully) to keep a sense of light-heartedness or at least self-awareness about it. If the relentless insults, baseless psychologizing about strangers, and unpleasant vitriol that have characterized this thread for most of the past year continue to be the accepted standard of discussion once the new season begins, I won't be sticking around. It certainly doesn't look to me like anyone is having fun whenever this thread takes another dip into the mud, but I don't claim to be a mind-reader. I'll miss getting to talk about ASOIAF/GOT with you guys, but it's only worth it for so long.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:54 am

Oh, I'll leave off.. Razz I guess I was mostly reacting to the tone with which criticism was being dismissed.. (That's not to say I reacted in a good way, now.) The show is starting again soon, and as I've said before I don't begrudge anyone enjoying it. (Even if I wont be.)

So, enjoy everyone. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:20 pm

halfwise wrote:yep, I count 5 out of 6 of those who would not let themselves be manipulated.  There may be sexual pandering, yes; but sexism?  I really don't see it any more than most modern shows have it.  Why GoT gets singled out when it has done more to put women in strong roles than any other show is sort of beyond me.

I couldn't agree more Halfy. GOT has some of the most uniquely strong minded and non conventional women I have ever seen on tv. These are women who are the opposite of conventionally Hollywood pretty and yet who have important roles, who have their own uncompromising determination and individuality, women who defy most sexist stereotypes on tv. They are the opposite of the usual vacuous dollybirds in fantasy films. Take Yara or Arya, or Cat Tully, Brienne, Gilly, Olenna Tyrell. Where on earth do you find female characters like this on tv. answer, nowhere. These are real women.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:D&D don't need to defend themselves over non existent sexism, why should they pander to the ridiculous criticisms.

Non-existant sexism? Razz On the show that turned a male character into a female one, because a mother being killed by zombie children, leaving her own children unprotected and probably impendingly dead, would have more emmotional ressonance.

That's one of your strong women™️ right there.

wot?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:27 pm

aw so cute Razz

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 pm

cheers I love you

http://time.com/4280629/game-of-thrones-kit-harington-rose-leslie-dating/
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Is the interviewer Scottish or Irish? She sounds like Kelly Macdonald (scottish) doing an Irish accent, so I'm really not sure.

Maisie can't help but be adorable. I love the way she says "whinging".

Mrs Figg wrote:

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:14 pm

'Why GoT gets singled out when it has done more to put women in strong roles than any other show is sort of beyond me.......The point is that it's no worse in GoT than in other shows, yet it seems to be receiving the maximum venom.
I'll go further. People ARE picking out things that would get by in other shows, and turning them upside down claiming there are things there that are not.'- Halfy

{{{ Very Happy Replace GOT with Who and thats almost exactly what my defence of Who has been against similar charges! }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

{{{ Hey! The only thing that keeps me from worrying I'm all wrong about GoT is that Figgy think's it's non-sexist, while thinking every word Moffat writes drips with it. Don't pull my backboard away from me! Evil or Very Mad }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:18 pm

{{{ And while we're at it, tell me if that interviewer is Irish or Scottish, will you? I'm obsessed with Kelly Macdonald's accent (or maybe just her general speaking mannerisms), so I'd like to know. }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

{{{Um is she not Chinese? She doesn't sound Scottish or Irish to me!}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 pm

{{ What?  Don't be fooled by the chinese captions: that's Irish or Scottish.  Obviously.  Rolling Eyes }}

{{ here Kelly Macdonald is being herself:

and here she is being an irish character (the best I could find, first minute only; not what I would choose)
 }}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:53 pm

{{ Ok, figured it out. the interviewer is from Hong-Kong. Though they normally have British rather than Scottish/Irish accents. Must sound like Scottish with a Chinese accent to you, but all I hear is the Scottish. }}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:03 pm

'Must sound like Scottish with a Chinese accent to you'- Halfy

{{I thought she sounded chinese with a chinese accent! Kelly is from Glasgow. Its a west coast accent. Though thats the softer sounding version for television and non-Scots (or people from the east coast as we also call them) or she is from the posher west-end of Glasgow. Real Glasgow is more like this-

}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:35 pm

{{{ Given that you only hear a chinese accent and I only heard a Scottish accent, that caps it: the interviewer was chinese who had learned English while in Scotland. }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Suspect Maisie said theres going to be a twist as regards Jon Snow. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?????? Sad Crying or Very sad Mad No Sad

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next