Forest Shepherd
chris63
malickfan
azriel
Bluebottle
17 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5]

Post by azriel Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm

I heard about this & its too vile for words. Why is it women are seen as a "thing" to be beaten, bonked & broken & nothing more ? In some cultures women will never be seen as worthy ( which we fookingwell are ! ) they are seen as one step up from goats,

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5]

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm

There's a thin line between 'advice' and 'admonishment'. If these acts are being perpetrated by criminals (by definition the rapes are) then what Germany is telling women is equivalent to "don't walk down empty streets at night." If the attacks (mainly groping) are a general social tendency, then it slides over to blaming the victims, and is the wrong approach.

Actually the acts seem to be committed by pseudo gangs, which the police should be able to detect and break up, then this hopefully will be over unless it's a deeper cultural problem.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:46 pm

they need rounding up and shipping home.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 am

Mrs Figg wrote:they need rounding up and shipping home.

What about the German/European ones?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Taharrush. Coming to a town near you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3395390/The-Arabic-gang-rape-Taharrush-phenomenon-sees-women-surrounded-groups-men-crowds-sexually-assaulted-spread-Europe.html
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:they need rounding up and shipping home.

What about the German/European ones?

prison
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 am

Good... Thought they were just gonna be sent home!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:02 pm

England is debating if it should have its own anthem.

God Save the Queen, they say is the UK anthem- but at sporting events where the nations compete separately only NI and England use God Save the Queen- Scots tend to sing Flower of Scotland, and the Welsh sing Land of my Fathers.

Some Tories are against the idea believing it will increase national identity in each part of the UK at the cost of homogeny across the nations.

Personally I think its good idea, about time England worked out who they are.

And on the plus side nice to see the English still retain their sense of irony on the matter, as the three most popular songs for consideration are the predictable, "Jerusalem", the equally predictable "There'll always be an England" and the perfectly brilliant, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by the Smiths. Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Ive always disliked "God save the Queen", how vain !! I think it should be something that includes the people & is a reference to this country. My grandad loved "Land of Hope & Glory" but I dont feel theres too much glory left ?

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Maybe you should just reinstate the original lyrics which had a second verse about 'rebellous Scots to crush' then it would be an English anthem again Nod

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

I always liked the part about the fascist regime. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:11 pm

I am very like Johnny Rotten personality wise.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Shocked Sofa

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Imagine a female Johnny Rotten if you will.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 pm

I am! - that's why Im back here- Sofa pale

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am

I think an English national anthem is a good idea too.  And when you have a fucking awesome option like "Jerusalem" staring you right in the face, it'd be crazy not to take it.  Seriously, it's so much better than "God Save the Queen", it's not even funny.

Edit: not that I can really be an anthem snob here.  "The Star Spangled Banner" is honestly not that great a song, and I say this even as a Baltimorean.  Unfortunately, our best alternative version, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", is probably too militaristic for modern times.  "America the Beautiful" is really good though.

Edit 2: Actually, "This Land is Your Land" is probably the best alternative version. I sometimes forget that it was written in response to "God Bless America", which remains incredibly trite.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 pm

I think we should have the Sex Pistols version of God Save The Queen. srsly where has the anger gone? when I was that age all I remember was permanent rage. todays kids aspire to acting more like TOWIE stars.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Metal :carrot: Metal

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 UJpDi The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Oriana Fallaci (Italian; 29 June 1929 – 15 September 2006) was an Italian journalist, author, and political interviewer. A partisan during World War II, she had a long and successful journalistic career. Fallaci became famous worldwide for her coverage of war and revolution, and her interviews with many world leaders during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

Her book Interview with History, contains candid, lengthy, penetrating interviews with Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Yasser Arafat, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Willy Brandt, Shah of Iran Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, and Henry Kissinger, South Vietnamese President Nguyễn Văn Thiệu and North Vietnamese General Võ Nguyên Giáp during the Vietnam War. The interview with Kissinger was published in Playboy, with Kissinger describing himself as "the cowboy who leads the wagon train by riding ahead alone on his horse." Kissinger later wrote that it was "the single most disastrous conversation I have ever had with any member of the press." She also interviewed Deng Xiaoping, Lech Wałęsa, Muammar Gaddafi, Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, 18th Duchess of Alba, and many others.
During her 1979 interview with Ayatollah Khomeini, she addressed him as a "tyrant" and managed to unveil herself from the chador:

OF: I still have to ask you a lot of things. About the "chador", for example, which I was obliged to wear to come and interview you, and which you impose on Iranian women. [...] I am not only referring to the dress but to what it represents, I mean the apartheid Iranian women have been forced into after the revolution. They cannot study at the university with men, they cannot work with men, they cannot swim in the sea or in a swimming-pool with men. They have to do everything separately, wearing their "chador." By the way, how can you swim wearing a "chador"?
AK: None of this concerns you, our customs do not concern you. If you don't like the Islamic dress you are not obliged to wear it, since it is for young women and respectable ladies.
OF: This is very kind of you, Imam, since you tell me that, I'm going to immediately rid myself of this stupid medieval rag. There!.

After retirement, she returned to the spotlight after writing a series of articles and books critical of Islam that aroused support as well as opposition.
wiki

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:23 pm

What are peoples thoughts on the Boycott by Black actors at the Oscars? personally I think its a victim mentality gone mad. Its a self fulfilling prophecy, if you think you are a victim there's no hope of you feeling equal. How can super rich successful people feel like victims? Do other races complain at the Oscars? You cant have quotas, that's just patronising.

ok I went there. Sofa
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I think it's not a bad thing for anybody. The Academy has never minded controversies ( it's great publicity! Remember Jane Fonda? Nod ) so why not talk about race?  It got a lot of people watching the Awards Ceremony to see what Chris Rock was going to say. Shocked

I honestly haven't been following the discussion closely, but all the Black voices I've been hearing have been putting the spotlight on the casting practices that keeps most non-white actors in supporting rolls, just like older actors often have a hard time getting significant parts despite their obvious talent.  I think that's probably a healthy discussion if it's done without too much rock throwing.

So I guess I'm shedding no tears for the Academy.

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 UJpDi The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [5] - Page 19 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Obviously the congress of Oscar voters seem to become a bit of an echo chamber. You reward what you recognize in yourself.

But, then I would have to care a whole lot more about the Oscars (or any awards show) to really care about this issue.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:52 pm

I was listening to radio4 the other morning & on the show they had 2 actors talking about CGI usage in films & one of the actors was in The Hobbit, Adam Brown. He said how weird etc it was to act with nothing at all etc & then he said during the Spider scene he really didnt know where to look or where to "fight". He asked peejers who simply said "oh just swing about anywhere, we'll add the spiders to fit " I cant help but think this idle attitude is no fooking help whatsoever to anyone. People respond better if you tell them what to do. There's less confusion leading to I dont give a shit if you gently boss people. Why am I not surprised ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:34 pm

{{{Thats sounds about right Az- they did the same thing with the warg attack in TT- just get the acrots to rush about the place waving swords around and fit the cgi round them later.}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:What are peoples thoughts on the Boycott by Black actors at the Oscars? personally I think its a victim mentality gone mad. Its a self fulfilling prophecy, if you think you are a victim there's no hope of you feeling equal. How can super rich successful people feel like victims? Do other races complain at the Oscars? You cant have quotas, that's just patronising.

ok I went there. Sofa

Just watch Chris Rock's opening monologue to answer all your questions. The audience reactions are instructive as well.

http://www.slashfilm.com/chris-rock-oscars-2016-monologue/

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next