Amarië
malickfan
David H
Lancebloke
leelee
20 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] Empty The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4]

Post by leelee Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:42 am

When down east here privatized the water , several people died and there was a big trial and it was scary and now countless people are on meds because of some make money quick scheme and it is un privatized now scary.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:52 am

British comedian/presenter Bill Oddie tackles the dangerous Banker in its natural environment in the style of his Spring Watch nature series to highlight the destruction by HSBC of Borneo's forests-

"Is he going to charge? He is a banker, of course he is going to charge!" Laughing 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:00 am

A follow up to somethnig I mentioned a while back- the EU recently demanded the UK government either put up or shut up on their tales of 'benefit tourism'- the claim immigrants come to the UK just to milk our benefits system and dont contribute to it.
Its been a big part of Tory rhetoric in an attempt to counter the political threat of UKIP.

However first the EU's own report could not find anything to substantiate the claims and then the UK government failed to provide any actual figures to back up their claim, whilst still continuing to make it.

Now this-

'Immigrants to the UK since 2000 have a made a "substantial" contribution to public finances, a report says.
The study by University College London said recent immigrants were less likely to claim benefits and live in social housing than people born in Britain.
The authors said rather than being a "drain", their contribution had been "remarkably strong".
Immigrants who arrived after 1999 were 45% less likely to receive state benefits or tax credits than UK natives in the period 2000-2011, according to the report by Prof Christian Dustmann and Dr Tommaso Frattini from UCL's Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration.
They were also 3% less likely to live in social housing.
Those from the European Economic Area (EEA - the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) had made a particularly positive contribution in the decade up to 2011, contributing 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits.
Immigrants from outside the EEA contributed 2% more in taxes than they received in the same period, the report showed.
Over the same period, British people paid 11% less in tax than they received.

The report also showed that in 2011, 32% of recent EEA immigrants and 43% of non-EEA immigrants had university degrees, compared with 21% of the British adult population.
"Given this evidence, claims about "benefit tourism" by EEA immigrants seem to be disconnected from reality."- BBC

Meanwhile in la-la 'all foreigners are bad and out to get us' Tory land-

'A spokesman for the government said: "We welcome those that want to come here to contribute to the economy, but it's absolutely right that we have strict rules in place to protect the integrity of the British benefits system to ensure it's not abused."
He added that this was why the government was strengthening measures to ensure that only benefits are only paid to people who are "legally allowed to live in Britain".

And back in the real world-

'a separate UCL study released on Tuesday warns that the government's target to cut net migration to the UK to the tens of thousands is "neither a useful tool nor a measure of policy effectiveness".
That report argues that actions to cut work-related, student and family migration have damaged the UK's reputation as a good place to work and study.'

I think it can now be safely be said that the Tory fear-mongering over immigrants stealing our benefits and women are, what is better known as, a crock of shit.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Pretty terrifying (though in the end lucky) news: two planes carrying skydivers collide mid-air, all survive the fall to the ground.

Video here.

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] EfJySxj

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] QWP8Mj1

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread [4] 6so6VAZ
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Shocked wow
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Shocked Wouldnt like to have to do their laundry. No 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Laughing

The video really is something else, btw.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:31 am

I found this disturbing-

'A US company that has developed an "electronic backpack" that fits onto a cockroach allowing the its movements to be controlled by a mobile phone app has defended itself against cruelty claims.
The Backyard Brains company says that the device is intended to get children to be interested in neuroscience.
For the "electronic backpack" to work the cockroaches have to be placed in icy water to subdue them before sandpaper is used to remove waxy coating on the the shell of the insect's head.
An electrode connector and electrodes are then glued on to the insect's body and a needle is used to poke a hole in their thorax in order to insert a wire.
Their antennae are then cut, and electrodes are inserted. A circuit is attached to their backs, and signals are received through a mobile phone app allowing users to control the cockroaches' movements to the left and to the right."- BBC

It seems to be an early years animal cruelty kit Evil or Very Mad 
We go down the line of using other living things as children toys and the games a bogey. Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:54 am

Very creepy indeed. I'd love it in a research lab, but....

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:59 am

That's pretty horrifying, and not just because I have a phobia of bugs.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am

Good luck to the people of Vietnam and it's neighbours over the next few days. I know quite a few people in the Philippines so hope they are all ok. Looks pretty bad out there.

Crying or Very sad 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 am

Possibly the most powerful storm on record - worldwide. And it's headed for Vietnam.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:09 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I found this disturbing-

'A US company that has developed an "electronic backpack" that fits onto a cockroach allowing the its movements to be controlled by a mobile phone app has defended itself against cruelty claims.
The Backyard Brains company says that the device is intended to get children to be interested in neuroscience.
For the "electronic backpack" to work the cockroaches have to be placed in icy water to subdue them before sandpaper is used to remove waxy coating on the the shell of the insect's head.
An electrode connector and electrodes are then glued on to the insect's body and a needle is used to poke a hole in their thorax in order to insert a wire.
Their antennae are then cut, and electrodes are inserted. A circuit is attached to their backs, and signals are received through a mobile phone app allowing users to control the cockroaches' movements to the left and to the right."- BBC

It seems to be an early years animal cruelty kit Evil or Very Mad 
We go down the line of using other living things as children toys and  the games a bogey. Evil or Very Mad 

thats sick. they seem to think its ok because its small, if the cockroach was a large animal there would be an outcry. I know the roaches are vermin, but torture is torture.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm

just read about the storm. thats scary. 200mph winds.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:30 pm

I was reading about the storm too and its terrifying.  Reportedly there were over 100 deaths in the Philippines already.  RIP.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I just heard from a friend of mine over there in Cebu City- fortunately she and her family are fine.
But the news out of Tacloban is just horrific with up to 10,000 feared dead there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I just heard from a friend of mine over there in Cebu City- fortunately she and her family are fine.
But the news out of Tacloban is just horrific with up to 10,000 feared dead there.
And I'm afraid it's only going to get more horrific over the next few weeks, without even basic infrastructure to get food and medical attention into the countryside.
Responding to these sorts of international disasters has historically been something the USA has done very well.
I hope all the insanity in DC hasn't f***ed it up.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:51 pm

David H wrote:
And I'm afraid it's only going to get more horrific over the next few weeks
From what I have heard, there are entire towns of 50, 75, 100 thousand plus that are completely under water and cut off. I think you are right that this is going to get worse as they uncover the extent of it and also struggle to get to those that are injured but could be saved if they are reached in time.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I saw this interview on BBC.
Now maybe its just my male ears but it sounds to me that what she says here boils down to- I will happily whore my body if it keeps increasing the amount of money I am making, and that makes me one of the biggest feminists in the world. What am I missing? scratch (and dont worry she doesnt actually sing in this vid, Im petty but Im not cruel)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 pm

she is a cretin End of story.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Wow, she is wearing clothes for once (Cyrus, not Figgs)!

Is it just me or is it mainly American teenage singers/artists wo go off the rails?-Maculay Culkin, Cyrus, Britney Spears etc is it a cultural thing? Because part of me wishes the Haryy Potter kids went a bit crazy...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Wasn't Daniel Radcliffe addicted to alcohol for a couple of years? He managed to keep that private for the most part, though.  And one of the guys who played Crabbe and Goyle got kicked out of the last movie cause the cops caught him growing pot.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh yeah that's true, though apparently Radcliffe is now a Gabling/Energy addict now (according to the British Tabloids that is), I think it was just Crabbe (well whoever the shorter one was) the guy was an idiot he barely had any lines in the films yet must of made loads, I think he's in Jail for assault now?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm

I think Young actors in Britain have the advantage of nobody sucking up to them at school. From what I have read they get the piss taken at every turn. which probably keeps them grounded. I think in the US people are more polite and maybe in Hollywood theres a lot of yes men giving the kids everything they demand before they are old enough to know better. ie Lohan. teen cribs
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 pm

malickfan wrote:Wow, she is wearing clothes for once (Cyrus, not Figgs!)
Shocked Embarassed 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next