Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Empty Re: All-time favorite movies

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:?!?!?!
Never understood why people think this film is so good scratch

To be honest I had mixed feelings about PoA when I first watched it and was unsure what I'd think before my recent marathon re-watch. There are definitely other good films in the series, but I think that PoA stands out above the others for a number of reasons. It feels less like a check-by-numbers list of fan-favorite moments (which most of the other movies struggle with) and the pacing flows naturally, which is better than GoF or OotP. I think the visuals are better-looking and the cinematography more dynamic than the first two films especially, even if those were closer to my personal vision of the books. It felt to me like the Alfonso Cuaron gave the film a much more distinctive tone and feel than any of the other films, some (though not all) of which descended into blandness far too much.

In short, I think that PoA was able to stand on its own two legs as a complete and satisfying cinematic story best of all the Potter films, without relying overmuch on audiences knowing the story of the book (even though I think Cuaron should have explained the Marauders backstory). Plus it had one of the best soundtracks of the series and one of the better performances by the Trio (who really grew up in the 18 months between the second and third films). It also had some great performances from David Thewlis, Gary Oldman, and other franchise regulars without sidelining them into tiny cameo roles the way that Yates did in the later films. The CGI werewolf left a bit to be desired, though, but the Dementors make up for it by not looking totally like Nazgul rip-offs. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Perhaps I should give it a second chance then (but only because you like it so much and are able to say why!) Smile As a matter of fact, GoF was on the TV last night, and as I had nothing better to do I gave it a second chance (I never liked it), and guess what - it wasn't awful anymore! It was actually OK (not more than that, though!). So perhaps it is time to give the third film a second chance too Smile

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:48 am

I walked out of the theatre absolutely hating GoF for being so choppy and not explaining so many plot elements (and for teasing me but not actually showing the Quidditch World Cup Evil or Very Mad). However, after the marathon I have to say it's my second or third favorite film in the series after PoA (and perhaps the two parts of Deathly Hallows, though I'm still not sure where I rank them). The pacing can be weird and the film cuts abruptly from scene to scene despite large time jumps way too much. Cuaron at least had a sense of transitions, showing long exterior shots to signify seasonal changes. That's the main reason that I put PoA ahead, but both the third and fourth films benefit from being based on my two favorite books of the series. Very Happy

In any event, I'm glad I could encourage you to give PoA another chance, and I hope you enjoy it! I found myself enjoying most of the films more by trying to relax and not point out all the flaws since I'd done that before and I found myself having a better time for it. Clearly GB has rubbed off on me. Laughing

Also, despite going on to star in Twilight, I have to single out Robert Pattinson for giving a great performance as Cedric Diggory. If only he hadn't turned into a vampire after he died. Sad Damn Voldemort.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Haven't seen any of the films (apart from DHP2) in ages (been waiting for the complete boxset because I'm so tight y'know) but I can't remember not loking GOF.

I'm not disagreeing with your point of it being not very cohesive as a story (maybe it was being too faithful to the book) if I watched it again, I'm sure I could find scenes to highlight this problem perfectly! But I liked the movie (I liked the book- one of my favourites actually) because the story works! It could be the only film which maybe could work as a standalone Potter film; Harry stands up to the challenge of the tournament (yes I know someone else enters him!!) struggles through adverse circumstances that are thrown at him, and in the end "defeats" his parents Murderers! So that's why I like it!

Whoops just read your entire post (I typed that after reading the first line!) but I'm sure you right about the pacing problems. I was so young when I last saw it, and naturally, as it was Harry Potter, (and there's me an inexperienced cinema goer) I thought The Goblet of Fire was the greatest movie ever!

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Only saw 1-3 in cinemas and then got so disolutioned stopped watching them ( the three hour agument with my sister on the way home had nothing to do with it - honest ( why it seemed so important to her or me that I was right that durham cathedral as well as anwick castle had formed part of hogwarts i don't remember! Rolling Eyes ) then saw DH1 and thought it was awful, truly! loved the book but thought that was dreadful! so haven't been in a rush to see the last one!

(Sorry re spelling - buckie - you know! Very Happy )

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Kafria wrote:Only saw 1-3 in cinemas and then got so disolutioned stopped watching them ( the three hour agument with my sister on the way home had nothing to do with it - honest ( why it seemed so important to her or me that I was right that durham cathedral as well as anwick castle had formed part of hogwarts i don't remember! Rolling Eyes ) then saw DH1 and thought it was awful, truly! loved the book but thought that was dreadful! so haven't been in a rush to see the last one!

(Sorry re spelling - buckie - you know! Very Happy )

Ah, my mother was the same. She loved the books (her and I engaged in a very completive battle on holiday the day Deathly Hallows was released, we got it on the way, and spend the proceeding week racing to the end!) but she told me she was disappointed with the last movie in particular, and wouldn't really want to watch them again! Personally I thought the last film was awesome, so feel free to ignore my mother! But somehow I think the greatness of the children's books that appealed to such a wide range of adults has been lost on the screen, which I suppose isn't surprising Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Find I tend to prefer books over film most of the time, although flm and tv lead to a lot of my literary finds (sharp,e flash forward - book is a thoughtful piece and based round the LHC at Cern, fun in the light of the recent hysteria about the expts there! and many others!) Loved the first twilight film (as moody indie flick, know most books fans hated it, but actually enjoyed the rest of the series - as teen escapism fic - and as mentioned elsewhere, love her sci fi - the host- which is in pre production, with the guy behind gattaca as producer!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 am

Saradoc wrote:Ah, my mother was the same. She loved the books (her and I engaged in a very completive battle on holiday the day Deathly Hallows was released, we got it on the way, and spend the proceeding week racing to the end!)

I started reading the books after Goblet was released, and for OotP my mom read the book aloud to me and my brother. By the time the sixth came out my brother was no longer interested and I was at summer camp when the book was released anyway, so she got to read the whole thing before I got back. Evil or Very Mad For the seventh, she flat-out told me that she was going to be the first person to read the copy she bought, so I bought my own copy at the midnight release we went to (I finished the book at about 2 PM that day Razz). Laughing

I think on the whole my mom was more impressed by the films than I was, but we seem to have different favourites (she thinks/thought that PoA had too much dumb humor and is more fond of the Yates films than I am). We both liked the final two, but I don't think she liked them quite as much as I did. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:38 am

One of my all time favourite scenes from any movie (classic)

Some interesting facts about the film

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1440

when Micheal Cain shoots the cheater, the porters are shown carrying a leopard.
I Never spotted that. (pardon the pun)

Last edited by chris63 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:43 am

Same movie, another great clip.

Apparently the rifles the British soldiers used were so powerful they would have left
gaping holes and blown the limbs off the Zulu's, but in the film you just see red dots where they got shot.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 pm

After re-watching "The assassination of Jesse James" it has taken the top spot on my list. What a masterpiece Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:After re-watching "The assassination of Jesse James" it has taken the top spot on my list. What a masterpiece Very Happy

Shocked Woah! A movie that you like that I've actually heard of! Hahaha, watched The Boat That Rocked (one of my favourite films) again a few days ago. Amazing soundtrack for that movie. Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:28 pm

I have to say I find Ringdrottens film choices to be rather good. You could do a lot worse Ally than checking out any he suggests.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:56 am

Then might I suggest the great Peter Jackson's incredibly faithful adaptation of The Lord of the Rings? Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:06 am

And then you had to go and ruin it all Ringdrotten! Mad
Ally, I retract my previous statements, based on his love of PJ's LotR's (which probably comes from smoking to much herring) the good stuff Ringdrotten has posted on here must be some sort of pure fluke, a mere coincidence that they are any good at all.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 am

Very Happy Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:24 am

Laughing Missed you Ringdrotten! Hope all is well!

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 am

And I've missed you all and being able to hang out here as much as I used to - I've got a week off now, so I'm making the best of it Wink

Petty - don't you agree that this truly is a perfect way to end a film? (For everyone else: this clip is one big SPOILER Smile )

One of many "best scene"s from that film Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Empty What did you think about Unforgiven?

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Ringdrotten-

I had trouble watching both Jesse James AND Unforgiven, but EVERYBODY agrees that they are great films, so it must be me. Perhaps I should try Jesse James again.

Because I'm a spectacle-addicted American, I rented Suckerpunch to watch later today. I'm already ashamed, and prepared for disappointment unparalleled since Sky Captian. I'm an idiot.

Also, I'm about to get to work on a parody of FOTR. Wish me luck!

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:31 pm

I've heard great things about Jesse James and know a bit about the film, but I watched a couple clips on YouTube including the one Ringdrotten posted and it seems rather odd to me. Neutral But I should watch the whole film, so I'm withholding judgement for now. Very Happy

Also, best of luck on your new parody, Paul! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Empty Thanks, Eldo!

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:31 pm

By the way, I just emailed a link to Forumshire to a guy in Scotland. He bought my book, read it, and visited my website, so I'm sure he'd enjoyed chatting here.

Do you suppose he's actually PT?

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Unforgiven is another great one, but each to his own, of course Wink And yes, Eldo, it's not quite your average Western (or film in general), but it's a very good film. It's one of those films that become better each time you watch it, though (or at least, that's what I think Wink).

Paul - can't wait to read your FotR parody Very Happy I've soon finished the Wobbit, and I'll try to write a review when I'm done Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:49 pm

That is undoubtably a fine scene Ringdrotten in a film of fine scenes. Give it a go Eldo, it unfolds like a good novel and at about the same pace- if you like your films where the camera never stops moving and everything explodes every two minutes then its probably not for you, but if you enjoy a film with texture, layers and indepth character studies then you will love it.
Not a fan of Unforgiven myself. I recently watched the original version of True Grit with John Wayne- and loved it- got the Cohen Brothers remake to watch next to see how it compares.

Good luck on the FotR parody Wobbit- I have shamefully neglected my reading of the Wobbit- not because I wasn't enjoying it just a lack of time.
It wasn't me you sent a link to however- be good to have another crabbit Scotshobbit about th place- so long as they bring their own buckie mind- just hope its not one of those strange Scotshobbits you here about, you know, the jolly ones. Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

All-time favorite movies - Page 3 Empty True Grit! Excellent!

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 pm

PT-

I thought that both films and the book True Grit were all great in their own way. Even given their lack of non-stop explosions.

I can only hope your countryman joins us. And brings his own Buckie.

I finally looked Buckie up on Wikipedia (which is always right) and discovered how controversial it is. Leave it to you to be controversial, PT, even in your beverage choice!

-Paul

p.s.
Superfriends Of The Ring is off to a strong start. I just finished the movie-style explosion-laden prologue, and will be writing the book prologue ("Concerning Wobbits") next. I will be posting excerpts soon, so consider yourself forewarned. In the meantime, thanks for your continued interest in The Wobbit.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next