Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Ringdrotten
15 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by azriel Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 am

Beautiful pictures ! really loved the Church, mosaics, The Vatican !

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 am

Lancebloke wrote:Chris - to do to Halfys comment... if you go there try and get up to Machu Picchu as early as you can. The crowds after about 8am ruin it!!!

That's a good point - hopefully you can find busses from below that will get you up that early. But if hiking in from the back you are woken up in an attempt to catch sunrise over Machu Picchu, and are so dragged out you can't enjoy it fully. I think an early bus from the town below (assuming it exists) coupled with an early night and good rest the night before would be the winning combination.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:37 pm

I really liked the look of that beach and white sand, St Vito lo capo, was the town ok, would it be nice for a holiday or would you just go for the beach? Did you go to Taormina?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:44 pm

We saw San Vito Lo Capo in off season, and so seemed like a dismal way to spend a weekend.  But it got great reviews based on the high season, so I don't know what to tell you.  I can say it's purely a beach town with little else going for it.  It's got a decent array of restaurants, but no other form of life apart from the beach.  I was expecting art galleries and the like, but no.

So in short, go for the beach, not the holidays.  But I'm not sure what else is nearby for a holiday except Palermo.  It's a 2-hour drive from there. Palermo is worth a couple nights and a day, then spend the next day driving to the beach and back.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Wow nice picture tour Halfwise. My sister went through Venice briefly on her honeymoon, and she has basically the exact same photograph of the Grand Canal. But the rest was new for me. Gorgeous trip, indeed.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm

That photo of the Grand Canal is from the Rialto bridge: so count up the number of visitors to Venice and that's how many of those photos are out there.

Did she tell you how much time they spent getting lost? I'd like to compare notes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 am

Lancebloke wrote:Chris - to do to Halfys comment... if you go there try and get up to Machu Picchu as early as you can. The crowds after about 8am ruin it!!!

Sounds like everyone but me has been there. Smile

Sod it i'l go to Cleethorpes Very Happy

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 am

halfwise wrote:That photo of the Grand Canal is from the Rialto bridge: so count up the number of visitors to Venice and that's how many of those photos are out there.

Did she tell you how much time they spent getting lost?  I'd like to compare notes.

I don't think very much time, but she was only in Venice for just a single day.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 am

{{Fantastic pics amd descriptions Halfy- must show the better half them, make her homesick probably! }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Currently in India, but for secret agent work so not gonna be any pics!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 pm

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ! Very Happy

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 am

Lancebloke wrote:Currently in India, but for secret agent work so not gonna be any pics!

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:22 am

{{{Not to worry Figg, what with it being top secret and no doubt lives hanging in the balance of no one seeing anything or working out where Lance is, with all that in mind, I hear the NotP are dispatching palantarazzi to hunt him down immediately and expose it all to the world! Nod }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:24 am

Glad somebody's on the job!

(still waiting for that bucky report. :drum:)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{Not to worry Figg, what with it being top secret and no doubt lives hanging in the balance of no one seeing anything or working out where Lance is, with all that in mind, I hear the NotP are dispatching palantarazzi to hunt him down immediately and expose it all to the world! Nod }}}

If I went to India I wouldn't be taking many photos either, I would spend most of my time on the bog.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:20 am

Only if you let the locals book your dinner venue and they choose a place called [Redacted].

Hmmm.... why can't I type [Redacted]

That's odd. And who is that behind me in the car? Is that a camera?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 am

halfwise wrote:Glad somebody's on the job!

I wrote 20 words a week ago, and that was the week I thought I'd have time to write. Meh.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:28 am

And who is that behind me in the car? Is that a camera?- Lance

{{Oh I'd just ignore that Lance, nothing to see there and certainly not NotP press following you about at a discreet drunken distance of that I am sure. Nod  }}

'I wrote 20 words a week ago'- Amarie

{{Being able to write anything after your first buckie session let alone 20 words its not to be sneezed at! drunken drunken drunken  }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:53 am

Amarië wrote:

I wrote 20 words a week ago, and that was the week I thought I'd have time to write. Meh.

Come one, need feedback. bounce I'd like to go too, the east and west highland line has been high on my wish list for a while,but how can I contemplate it without having all the information. This scottishness, what if it is infective Surprised

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:32 am

Lancebloke wrote:Only if you let the locals book your dinner venue and they choose a place called [Redacted].

Hmmm.... why can't I type [Redacted]

That's odd. And who is that behind me in the car? Is that a camera?

If you see any Ragistani bustle sellers floating about, they are my operatives deep state, one wink for a pink one and two winks for being smuggled out in an elephants doo-dah. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 am

btw, the young woman I was staying with in Rome travels extensiviely for her work with the UN, and said Scotland was her favorite country. Up until we visited Sicily and she suddenly loved it.

For some reason I completely neglected to ask her about buckie.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Amarië wrote:

Come one, need feedback. bounce  I'd like to go too, the east and west highland line has been high on my wish list for a while,but how can I contemplate it without having all the information. This scottishness, what if it is infective Surprised

Can't tell you if it's infective or not. I'm a Sunnmøring you know, it's pretty much the same symptoms. Laughing

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm

There are too many pretty places. I visited an area of Spain right by the Portugese border and the Duero river earlier in the spring called Fermoselle. Very pretty and special area, even if it rained a lot. Made the shortest of visits to Portugal, a couple of hours, and ate bacalao, while it rained constantly.

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180310
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180312
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180313
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180314
Fermoselle, Spain:
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180315
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 16 20180311

Next trip is going to the Basque country, and back to Catalonia, I think, and also visit southern France by the Basque and Catalan borders. Nod

Last edited by Bluebottle on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Yikes, they are rather large, but I am to lazy to find out the frame rate and make them smaller Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Amarië wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
Amarië wrote:

Come one, need feedback. bounce  I'd like to go too, the east and west highland line has been high on my wish list for a while,but how can I contemplate it without having all the information. This scottishness, what if it is infective Surprised

Can't tell you if it's infective or not. I'm a Sunnmøring you know, it's pretty much the same symptoms. Laughing

Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next