Ringdrotten
Tinuviel
Norc
bungobaggins
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by Lancebloke Tue May 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Yes... was working though, not being adventurous.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by halfwise Tue May 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Still envious. Half of my trips to foreign countries have been work related: you always have evenings and weekends.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 20, 2014 6:19 pm

re the potato photo- maggie murphy? How the hell did Ireland have a potato famine when they grew them that big?!!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:re the potato photo- maggie murphy? How the hell did Ireland have a potato famine when they grew them that big?!!

Do we know it was Ireland? The sign says "Loveland, Colo" which to my mind means Loveland, Colorado. Don't think there's a Loveland Ireland.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Im guessing Maggie Murphy is an Irish name, so if it not in Ireland they should have sent some of those boulder sized ones over there.  Nod 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Maggie Murphy hoax
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Maggie Murphy hoax was a hoax perpetuated in 1895 by W. L. Thorndyke. He created an image that depicted farmer Joseph B. Swan holding what appeared to be a giant potato. The photo rapidly spread around the United States, and appeared in a panel of Ripley's Believe It or Not!.

Background
The hoax began in Loveland, Colorado. W. L. Thorndyke, editor-in-chief for a local newspaper, had wanted to promote an upcoming street fair. Thorndyke turned to farmer Joseph B. Swan, and wanted to help bring customers to him. Swan had been known for growing more than 70 different types of potatoes and had previously been featured in several news reports for his success with his crop.

With the help of local photographer Adam Talbot, they produced a photograph which appeared in an 1895 issue of the Loveland Reporter. It was implied the potato weighed 86 pounds 10 ounces, and measured 2 feet 5 inches. Swan swore that he grew it himself. The image quickly spread around the United States. Over one thousand citizens sent letters to Thorndyke, requesting pieces of Maggie Murphy so they could grow their own oversized potato. Requests for seeds were also common. Thorndyke, realizing that the photograph was beginning to get out of control, admitted that it was a hoax. He wrote that he had asked Swan to carve a fake potato out of wood.

Cultural impact
The photograph appeared in numerous publications, including Scientific American and Ripley's Believe It or Not!. It has been reprinted in the book The World of Ripley's Believe It Or Not!, however, no mention is made of the photograph being a hoax. When Ripley's Believe It or Not! was adapted into a television series, the photograph was used in the opening segment. In 2012, Colorado playwright Rick Padden adapted the tale of the hoax into a two-act play, entitled The Great Loveland Potato Hoax.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Damn I feel old. I'm getting a new phone and I was trying to find a way to back up my photos on my old phone. I tried connecting it to my computer, but I wasn't able to find the files even when it was connected as a mass USB storage device. So then I'm thinking about emailing the photos to myself, but there were like 30 or so that I wanted to save, and that would have taken too much time/data. And only after three days of thinking about this did I realize that I could just download the Google Drive app and back them up that way.

:facepalm: 

Second time in my life when I felt technologically inept. (The first being when I was trying to help my grandparents figure out Windows 8.)

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 pm

or just send them via bluetooth
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Quiet, you. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Laughing  Laughing

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 22, 2014 3:26 am

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 CUAwviT

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu May 22, 2014 6:59 am

Quokkas are a unique marsupial found on Rottnest Island in Western Australia. It is believed that about 10,000 of them live there – and they are extremely friendly! (Photo: +Allan Dixon) 

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 2X4A9049

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 am

he tried at least, dear benedict Laughing i love how the woman beside him is just laughing because it's so stupid Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Loving the signature, Norc!

bungobaggins wrote:Damn I feel old. I'm getting a new phone and I was trying to find a way to back up my photos on my old phone. I tried connecting it to my computer, but I wasn't able to find the files even when it was connected as a mass USB storage device. So then I'm thinking about emailing the photos to myself, but there were like 30 or so that I wanted to save, and that would have taken too much time/data. And only after three days of thinking about this did I realize that I could just download the Google Drive app and back them up that way.

:facepalm: 

Second time in my life when I felt technologically inept. (The first being when I was trying to help my grandparents figure out Windows 8.)

Only the second time? You've got years and years to go...

(I feel this every few months when I actually deign to go on facebook. Either it's the worst fooking interface ever designed, or it just makes sense to teenagers.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 22, 2014 12:30 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 CUAwviT

This is awesome Laughing

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 22, 2014 2:38 pm

thanks halfy, it is surprisingly accurate

benedict is such a badass Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 22, 2014 4:43 pm

chris63 wrote:Quokkas are a unique marsupial found on Rottnest Island in Western Australia. It is believed that about 10,000 of them live there – and they are extremely friendly! (Photo: +Allan Dixon) 

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 2X4A9049

and cute
Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 GIFUS_RUsmeshnoy-kvokka-2731_zps74220464
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 pm

there's Benedict Cumberbatch
Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Tumblr_inline_n582ytZDa61sr002v
and then there's Benedict Cumberbatch
Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Tumblr_inline_n58309STwp1sr002v
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 pm

I found that gardening thing about Benny boy for you on the Television thread, Norc. dont know if its any help ?  Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri May 23, 2014 6:04 am

i have already seen it Wink but thanks Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 26, 2014 1:54 am

Where the buggery has everyone gone?  scratch 

I was thinking about organising this years Summer picnic- but Im starting to worry no one will turn up!  Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon May 26, 2014 5:04 am

Did someone say picnic?

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 5 Yogi-BooBoo

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon May 26, 2014 9:26 am

Depends when in the summer this picnic is....
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 26, 2014 9:35 am

At the moment Summer is being as Summer traditionally is.......wet  Mad

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum