Ringdrotten
Tinuviel
Norc
bungobaggins
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by Lancebloke Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:43 pm

I am sure with a simple search you can find a picture of a cloudless UK covered in snow. Its quite pretty.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by halfwise Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I had been trying to figure out if those were clouds or snow and I thought they looked more like snow. - Eldo

Looks like this with snow-

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Scotland-snow_zps6a467a94

Yep, I've looked at scores of these for my work. Snow avoids river valleys, clouds usually don't care unless they are morning valley clouds that sort of mirror image what snow would do.

Clouds and snow do look different in the near infrared when compared to the visible.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:23 pm

I thought maybe the spotty pattern was snow only on hilltops or something. I dunno how high most hills in Scotland are. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm

halfwise wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Interesting how the clouds form to the contour of the island. I wonder how that happens.

You get different convection over land than over water: soil surfaces heat up faster than water surfaces, so you get the cumulus fields we associate with a fair, partly cloudy day.  You can see that the wind is from the east, so the clouds start out small then develop as they move inland. Note also the 'cloud streets': the clouds form in long rolls with spaces in between; this has to do with a strong wind gradient that make clouds 'lean' and so they spill over sideways rather than kill the cloud upwind of them. I have diagrams but would have to pull them out of the ppt I made so can't be arsed to do it right now. The upper level cirrus is not affected by any of this.

Sometimes you'll see lines of clouds just within the coast: this is the seabreeze effect where a circulation is set up between land and ocean, so a line of clouds form at the top of the circulation before it turns back to sea.  Such circulations are destroyed when there is a prevailing wind such as in the ISS picture, but you can see the enhanced clouds limning the east coast of Florida in the image below (sorry about the green boundaries).  Note that because of light winds you get no cloud streets.

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Seabre10

Thanks for the explanation, Halfy. Very Happy :prof: study

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:34 pm

children in a nutshell:
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Well, I guess were all still kind of listening for the ice cream van in some way. Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:20 pm

that's deep.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Probably not really, but.. perhaps a little bit. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 am

A most fitting song for this forum, don't you all agree? Very Happy

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Yep, Ringo, a fitting song Very Happy

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:12 pm

"O'Herring" sounds like an Irish - Norwegian surname. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Shocked

Yes, and Shoals O'Herring..

Sounds a bit like a distant relation of yours, Ringo. Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 am

This is actually NOT at all amazing, but points up the pitfalls of judging people.  I have a "girlfriend" who tends to judge people on how "successful" they are (I'm not not going to explain the quotes), had a bit of a (okay, major) fight about it, but she seems to now accept she's limited in her viewpoint after she found out how angry it made me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/homeless-man-plays-piano-edmonton-video_n_6056048.html?cps=gravity

Related to that, we had a piano placed in the small park outside my apartment.  What went on there made me very happy.

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Piano_11

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Thats a warm story of the human spirit. No matter what shit life throws at you there is still room, & time, to open up something special.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:27 am

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Pen_zpsedb46b9e

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 1461814_10202642481617042_8490158303598342257_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Oh gawd yeah Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:57 pm

Cool afro you betcha darn tootin!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 22 Tumblr_mnjbgwokqI1qag2pzo1_500

Just................... for those feeling a little like they might never going to get there.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm

I have that feeling everyday.

Then I go outside and goof around under the trees by the railroad tracks without worrying about strangers or carrying a cell phone so that nobody knows where I am or what I'm doing....and the feeling passes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Wise words- you too Halfy.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:13 pm

What? It's not permanent?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm slightly joking with that, but creative effort and self doubt does seem intrinsically linked. For me anyway. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Half the creative and successful people I know are driven by extreme self confidence, the other half are driven by extreme self doubt/criticism. The rest of us make it through life, somehow.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 pm

I remember some of that and waking up early ona Saturday. Our oarents would be at our restaurant, one of them anyway and my little brother Nelson and I would make sandwicnes and wrap them and put them in a clean kerchief and tie it to a pole like Huck and Tom. We would wander to two or three other towns, no clue where we were and when it was roaring hot we would eat and drink water from streams we invariably found. Then Nelson would get bored and leave and I would wander home and find my way back somehow around supper time. And we lived.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum