Ringdrotten
Tinuviel
Norc
bungobaggins
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by Lancebloke Mon May 26, 2014 9:40 am

Is it actually summer yet? Thought we were in the death throes of spring still.

We haven't been hit by El Nino yet. Think a few months before we get that and the country cooks.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [4]

Post by Norc Mon May 26, 2014 10:09 am

hahaha, summer my ass, we still got snow on our lawn...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 26, 2014 1:03 pm

There is a time of year when you dont have snow?  Shocked 

June is summer isnt it? And its almost June now so it must be summer.  Nod 
Plus its raining here so it must be summer.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:There is a time of year when you dont have snow?  Shocked 

yes, well, depends where u are.. what altitude. technically there is always snow somewhere, but in summer that's mainly in the mountains and places there that's always in shadows. not down here where people live.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 26, 2014 3:09 pm

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 am

Went to see Derren Brown last night. If he is ever passing through your way, get some tickets to go and see him!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 27, 2014 12:53 pm

who he?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 27, 2014 3:19 pm

This he

He had a show that used to run on TV a while back, very entertaining stuff. Was it as convincing when you watched it live?

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Shocked  crikey!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes it was. And while I never really thought there were any mediums out there (e.g. "I have someone coming through... your grandad has a message from the grave"), I really don't believe it now!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 MVP466k

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 am

I'm stuck.

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 14+-+1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed May 28, 2014 5:09 am

Happy 92nd Birthday to Sir Christopher Lee!

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 AUJ+Movie+Stills+%2528212%2529

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 28, 2014 2:14 pm

what even are goats...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 28, 2014 4:23 pm

chris63 wrote:I'm stuck.

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 14+-+1

pale wow! I suppose it helps having no fear or vertigo.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 28, 2014 4:48 pm

My brother went on a several days hike in alaska once. Tried to catch up with goats. It was hopeless.

He also left his map behind while hitchhiking, so missed a helicopter drop of a raft and was wondering the wilds for days. I think Alaska is about the only place left in the US where that could be a real problem.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Usually I'm pretty wary about these crowd-funded endeavors. But this looks like a good cause. I remember watching Reading Rainbow when I was a kid, it was a great show. And I like that they're thinking about today's tech and not just bringing back the tv show.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

Just...................whatever [4] - Page 6 6b99fbfe3d0640614d23dc9b804642b9_large

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 28, 2014 6:52 pm

halfwise wrote:My brother went on a several days hike in alaska once.  Tried to catch up with goats.  It was hopeless.

He also left his map behind while hitchhiking, so missed a helicopter drop of a raft and was wondering the wilds for days.  I think Alaska is about the only place left in the US where that could be a real problem.

that sounds scary  pale 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
halfwise wrote:My brother went on a several days hike in alaska once.  Tried to catch up with goats.  It was hopeless.

He also left his map behind while hitchhiking, so missed a helicopter drop of a raft and was wondering the wilds for days.  I think Alaska is about the only place left in the US where that could be a real problem.

that sounds scary  pale 

That IS scary. Alaska isn't Disneyland. Bad things happen to good people all the time.

There's a trick to sneaking up on mountain goats. They seem to be programmed to think that danger and predators always come from below, so they often forget to look up! I once hiked up a valley in Montana and then climbed up the ridge to see the view into a famous gulch on the other side. When I came over the ridge and looked down, I saw a young mountain goat below me on the cliff, maybe 20 feet away. I froze and watched him for almost a minute before he noticed me. Then he bounded down that broken, almost vertical cliff face like gravity didn't apply to him. Mountain goats are magic! Nod 

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 pm

mountain goats are awesome. i personally know a mountain goat. he plays violin though....or maybe he's more of a spiderman scratch

i'd love to visit Alaska one day, although the bears scare me a bit.. not the wolves for some reason... i'd bring a dog anyway, they're good at warnings...

the norwegian equvilant of Bear Grylls, Lars Monsen, walked Canada across and made a series about it, i think he used two years. i loved that show and i admire that man Very Happy he doesn't brag like Bear and he's just... he's like Aragorn really!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 29, 2014 3:00 pm

Yeah, those mountain goats are crazy.  Shocked 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 29, 2014 3:22 pm

Norc wrote:mountain goats are awesome. i personally know a mountain goat. he plays violin though....or maybe he's more of a spiderman scratch

Yeah, probably more of a spiderman. Mountain goats are awful at playing violin. It's the hooves.... Rolling Eyes 

i'd love to visit Alaska one day, although the bears scare me a bit.. not the wolves for some reason... i'd bring a dog anyway, they're good at warnings...

You know, when I'm in hiking in bear country I'm actually more concerned when there's a dog around.

Bears usually don't see people as a threat unless the people surprise them or do something stupid. Be calm, make constant noises and you almost never have problems.

But bears and dogs don't usually don't get along well. A lot of dogs have picked fights with a bear by barking and growling when there was no fight needed. Then they come home clawed up, or they don't come home.

So if you're going to take a dog, my advice is to be sure to take one that has good bear-manners.  Nod 

[Either that, or take a dog you never want to see again, so it and the bear can fight while you RUN! affraid ]

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 pm

so Alaska. whats most likely to kill ya? just curious because I am an armchair adventurer these days. I imagine the cold would get you first? or exhaustion?, or critters? theres probably water around, but no food? unless you are good at hunting and fishing I guess.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 29, 2014 6:00 pm

In the parts of Alaska I know best, I'd say most of the deaths are from falling and drowning.

It's dramatically beautiful country, but it's hard to get anywhere without crossing water or traveling on water: frozen water, water in deep gorges, water falling off cliffs, water with strong currents and undertows.  My grandfather broke through the ice and drowned while trapping, and he was a very skilled woodsman.

Then there's the mountains and glaciers. That's where you need the mountain goat moves. Even where there are good footpaths, there are lots of places where you can fall.  That's why they advise you that if you're lost in the back-country you  should just stay put and wait to be rescued.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I am very sorry to hear that Dave. It does sound a very dangerous but beautiful place.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum