Damn Computers (in appropriate category)

+10
Forest Shepherd
leelee
Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Eldorion
azriel
Mrs Figg
malickfan
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
14 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Damn Computers (in appropriate category) - Page 2 Empty Re: Damn Computers (in appropriate category)

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm thinking about getting a mac, though I haven't really decided. They do have the reputation for durability, but as my brother likes to say, if you buy a pc in the same price range you get a decent computer too.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Damn Computers (in appropriate category) - Page 2 Empty Re: Damn Computers (in appropriate category)

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Macs are okay, I guess. Shrugging When you first get one it's all exciting, everything is nice and shiny and new. But then you realize all the stuff you CAN'T do with it. Mad

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 pm

I'm still fascinated by chromebooks, but I don't know why. Very Happy Maybe it's the fact that everything is done online. And having a device that boots in seconds is attractive.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Maybe I need to give chromebooks some thought. scratch

Last laptop I bought was a kind of cheap pc one. Don't think I'll go that way again, though it's still bearing up. The durability of mac's sound really enticing, but I guess there's still certain things they won't do.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:04 am

DI just got one for about 8hundred and I doubt I could be without it.I find comfort in bed watching dateline or Jeremy kyle or ant and Dec . PR the Father Brown series
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:16 pm

is there an alternative to photobucket? its not letting me see my photos. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Imgur.com is what I use most of the time now.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:30 pm

cheers Eldo I will try it. Thumbs Up
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:00 am

So on Sunday I spilled water on my keyboard. Rolling Eyes

At first nearly everything was gone, but I rigged up something with a box and a hairdryer and several hours later about half my keys worked. The only way I could write was copy and paste from other documents: you may have noticed I've been rather laconic lately.

Not long ago I had my hard drive replaced, then I replaced my battery, and with the new keyboard I've realized I was only $200 away from just buying a refurbished computer. Oh well, keeps stuff out of the waste stream I suppose...

but I'm back.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:48 am

I'm glad you're back, Halfy. Smile

My mom's computer has broken but she's avoiding buying a new one, so currently she's trying to get by with my old laptop. It's about seven years old and was never a very good model (it also can't hold a charge anymore so it has to stay plugged in). It's got Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.10 dual booted but a lot of the software is hopelessly outdated. It's got Chrome 7 on it (the current version of Chrome is 41) and I couldn't even find a way to update it (the Google help page describes features and formats that don't exist in that version Laughing). Flash is about seven versions out of date and Java wasn't working even after I updated it. I'm trying to convince her to get a new computer but we'll see. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:22 am

Chromebook? :brows:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:08 am

That thought did cross my mind, largely because of you bringing it up recently. Wink I think she needs local file storage for some of her work stuff though (in part for privacy reasons). I'll bring up the idea to her though, because it's painful trying to use the old computer now. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:08 pm

I hate when that happens, you do bits and bobs thinking that you are saving money only to find out that you are 78p in pocket and you really could have bought something new for less. No  I prefer to patch up and mend rather than throw things out. My grandparents all preferred to go to the repair shop, but now the repair shop is more expensive than buying new stuff. its mad. Take shoes for example, who goes to a cobbler nowadays when you can buy a new pair for £10 made in China? no wonder theres an island of plastic the size of London in the sea.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Eldorion wrote:That thought did cross my mind, largely because of you bringing it up recently. Wink I think she needs local file storage for some of her work stuff though (in part for privacy reasons).  I'll bring up the idea to her though, because it's painful trying to use the old computer now. Laughing

I'm still not sure myself. I'm sure you can expand storage space with an SD card or flash drive (I recently upgraded from my 2GB flash drive that I paid about 15 dollars for about ten years ago to a 64GB flash drive that I paid 20 dollars for). I can definitely see myself using a Chromebook because a lot of what I do is online, but I would not be able to use Finale (music notation software), or GIMP (unless I installed Linux), and I wouldn't be able to do any video editing (which I rarely do, but it is fun when I get the chance). I think a possible future for me would be a Chromebook for daily stuff and then keep my MacBook Pro around for the creative stuff until I drive it into the ground, and then maybe look into getting a MacBook Air or something similar.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you put the Chromebook into developer mode you get access to the local file storage.  Chrome OS is a fork of Gentoo so it's already Linux and in developer mode you've got the command line and stuff.  I dunno how using other software would work from the end-user perspective though.

For me personally, I try to save up and just buy one laptop that will fulfill all of my computing needs (except for ultra-mobile stuff that I use my phone for) and then stick with that for a good 2-3 years.  I do really like the look of the MacBook Pro, but I'm not comfortable spending that amount of money on a computer at this point when there are decent enough alternatives (at least, they become decent after dual booting).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:30 pm

I think a cheap computer for correspondence and surfing and a beefier for work is a good idea.  That way you don't wear out the work computer as fast.  The key is to have a good method for file transfer, as inevitably you'll want to get to stuff you did on the other computer.

Eldo - if you like the idea of a macbook pro, go to the apple online store and then go down to apple-refurbished computers.  You can save about 20%, which brings it into the range of attractive.  That's how I get my computers.  And of course it's based on UNIX which means the command line would be familiar to you.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

For comformtably less than $1000 you can get modest size flash drive, etc.  keep checking back as they normally only last a week or so then something else pops up.  If you are willing to go to 11.6 inch screen and 256 GB flash drive you can even get down to a shade over $800. I should add that the best time to buy is a few weeks after a line has just been refreshed, as has happened with the macbook pro.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I have a 3 terabyte flashdrive. It's more than 2/3s full. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:21 pm

I got my MacBook Pro refurbished, and I've had it for almost four years now. Jeez, has it really been four years?! Shocked

There's an ASUS Chromebook that I've been eying up for a while. Only $200. study

http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-13-Inch-Gigabit-Storage-Black/dp/B00KD5SEPK/ref=cm_rdp_product

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for the info about refurbished MacBooks, halfy. I'll definitely take a look at that.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:59 am

I'd prefer them over the new version, in any case. Squeezing everything down to one port just to get lighter and thinner is taking things too far. It's as stupid as decreasing battery life in an iphone just to shave off a couple mm in thickness.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:56 am

Yeah, the idea of needing a(n undoubtedly overpriced) dongle to be able to play a DVD or rip a CD is pretty unappealing to me.  I can handle my laptop being an inch thick in exchange for full functionality.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:09 pm

The problem with the new Macs is that they don't have disc drives. Not even the iMacs. And I know for sure that the stand alone superdrive that they'll want me to buy is 100 dollars and can't even read bluray discs. Mad Apple just makes me so angry sometimes.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Yeah. Though admittedly they pushed technology adaption more than once. You may be too young to remember the uproar when they stopped providing floppy disk ports - that turned out pretty well in the end. Other types of cables as well.

Now I think Apple is pushing blue tooth connectivity for everything. The first few years will be irritating, but no doubt wireless is the way devices are going. I won't be one of the early adopters.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:37 pm

halfwise wrote:Yeah.  Though admittedly they pushed technology adaption more than once.  You may be too young to remember the uproar when they stopped providing floppy disk ports - that turned out pretty well in the end. Other types of cables as well.

Now I think Apple is pushing blue tooth connectivity for everything.  The first few years will be irritating, but no doubt wireless is the way devices are going.  I won't be one of the early adopters.

I bought the first generation iPod touch back in 2007. I will never be an early adopter ever again.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:39 pm

I hate to think about all my DVDs becoming worthless junk that go the way of VHS.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next