Mrs Figg
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 13 Empty Re: Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 pm

bungobaggins wrote:wtf Shocked

Oh but then again this is all theory. I bet GRRM won't even tell us.

I'm surprised no one else in this thread has heard of this theory.  It's one of the oldest and best-evidenced fan theories for ASOIAF (some of them can get pretty out there). There's a pretty good video summary of it on YouTube.

Spoiler:

See also this thread from Westeros.org's forums:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/84301-rlj-v46/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:04 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Hold on... didnt the Andals conquer Westeros? Aren't the first men the rightful lords after coming to an agreement with its original inhabitants?

Westeros was never a unified realm until Aegon came along (well, really not until Dorne was brought into the fold through marriage, though the Targaryens claimed Dorne before then). The First Men were, as their name suggests, the first humans to reach Westeros, which up until that point had been inhabited solely by the Children of the Forest (aka those who sing the song of the earth), who were responsible for making Westeros a separate continent from Essos by shattering the Arm of Dorne, which had been a land bridge connecting the two landmasses, in an attempt to stop the influx of humans. The First Men and the Children eventually came to an understanding, but the continent was still split between numerous petty realms. This is so far back in history from the time of the story that several characters dispute the widely-accepted facts. Most noble houses claim descent across the millennia, and in the North especially the stories claim that the Starks, Boltons, Night's Watch, and various Kings-beyond-the-Wall have been fighting each other in basically the same pattern for like 8,000 years. But plenty of Maesters think that's self-evidently absurd, an outlook that we as readers are likely to share, given our knowledge of real world historical patterns, but of course, ASOIAF works differently with magic, the Wall, etc. So who knows? It's deliberately left vague, since the characters don't know either.

Anyway, the Andal invasion overran most of Westeros: everything below the Neck, which the Children failed to break in the way that they destroyed the Arm of Dorne, succeeding only at making it marshy). According to the traditions of the noble houses, most of the kingdoms of Westeros pre-dated the invasion, but as outside observers we can reasonably suggest that this probably isn't the case. The Andals brought the Faith of the Seven and the concept of knighthood with them, which ultimately would transform Westerosi culture. But the continent still wasn't unified. As Blue points out, the idea of "Seven Kingdoms" was likely inspired by the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy (the traditionally seven realms established by those invaders in Britain). However, both in Westeros and in historical Britain, the number of kingdoms and their extent fluctuated greatly over the centuries. In Westeros, it was not until the Targaryens arrived with the revolutionary military power of dragons that the kingdoms were united. It's worth pointing out that Westeros is supposed to be roughly the size of South America, which is vastly larger than any historical feudal realm ever was, and the existence of dragons (not just their power but also their speed) is the only thing that makes unification over such a large area even remotely plausible, given the stage of technological and social development in Westeros.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Where did you find the history of the Children breaking the arm of Dorn? scratch

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:54 pm

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Chapter_66
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:15 pm

And here's that whole bit.

“Tell me about the children,” Bran said. It was important.
“What do you wish to know?”
“Everything.”
Maester Luwin tugged at his chain collar where it chafed against his neck. “They were people of the Dawn Age, the very first, before kings and kingdoms,” he said. “In those days, there were no castles or holdfasts, no cities, not so much as a market town to be found between here and the sea of Dorne. There were no men at all. Only the children of the forest dwelt in the lands we now call the Seven Kingdoms.
“They were a people dark and beautiful, small of stature, no taller than children even when grown to manhood. They lived in the depths of the wood, in caves and crannogs and secret tree towns. Slight as they were, the children were quick and graceful. Male and female hunted together, with weirwood bows and flying snares. Their gods were the gods of the forest, stream, and stone, the old gods whose names are secret. Their wise men were called greenseers, and carved strange faces in the weirwoods to keep watch on the woods. How long the children reigned here or where they came from, no man can know.
“But some twelve thousand years ago, the First Men appeared from the east, crossing the Broken Arm of Dorne before it was broken. They came with bronze swords and great leathern shields, riding horses. No horse had ever been seen on this side of the narrow sea. No doubt the children were as frightened by the horses as the First Men were by the faces in the trees. As the First Men carved out holdfasts and farms, they cut down the faces and gave them to the fire. Horrorstruck, the children went to war. The old songs say that the greenseers used dark magics to make the seas rise and sweep away the land, shattering the Arm, but it was too late to close the door. The wars went on until the earth ran red with blood of men and children both, but more children than men, for men were bigger and stronger, and wood and stone and obsidian make a poor match for bronze. Finally the wise of both races prevailed, and the chiefs and heroes of the First Men met the greenseers and wood dancers amidst the weirwood groves of a small island in the great lake called Gods Eye.
“There they forged the Pact. The First Men were given the coastlands, the high plains and bright meadows, the mountains and bogs, but the deep woods were to remain forever the children’s, and no more weirwoods were to be put to the axe anywhere in the realm. So the gods might bear witness to the signing, every tree on the island was given a face, and afterward, the sacred order of green men was formed to keep watch over the Isle of Faces.
“The Pact began four thousand years of friendship between men and children. In time, the First Men even put aside the gods they had brought with them, and took up the worship of the secret gods of the wood. The signing of the Pact ended the Dawn Age, and began the Age of Heroes.”
Bran’s fist curled around the shiny black arrowhead. “But the children of the forest are all gone now, you said.”
“Here, they are,” said Osha, as she bit off the end of the last bandage with her teeth. “North of the Wall, things are different. That’s where the children went, and the giants, and the other old races.”
Maester Luwin sighed. “Woman, by rights you ought to be dead or in chains. The Starks have treated you more gently than you deserve. It is unkind to repay them for their kindness by filling the boys’ heads with folly.”
“Tell me where they went,” Bran said. “I want to know.”
“Me too,” Rickon echoed.
“Oh, very well,” Luwin muttered. “So long as the kingdoms of the First Men held sway, the Pact endured, all through the Age of Heroes and the Long Night and the birth of the Seven Kingdoms, yet finally there came a time, many centuries later, when other peoples crossed the narrow sea.
“The Andals were the first, a race of tall, fair-haired warriors who came with steel and fire and the seven-pointed star of the new gods painted on their chests. The wars lasted hundreds of years, but in the end the six southron kingdoms all fell before them. Only here, where the King in the North threw back every army that tried to cross the Neck, did the rule of the First Men endure. The Andals burnt out the weirwood groves, hacked down the faces, slaughtered the children where they found them, and everywhere proclaimed the triumph of the Seven over the old gods. So the children fled north-”

Ain't I great. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Eldorion wrote:As Blue points out, the idea of "Seven Kingdoms" was likely inspired by the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy (the traditionally seven realms established by those invaders in Britain).  However, both in Westeros and in historical Britain, the number of kingdoms and their extent fluctuated greatly over the centuries.  In Westeros, it was not until the Targaryens arrived with the revolutionary military power of dragons that the kingdoms were united.  It's worth pointing out that Westeros is supposed to be roughly the size of South America, which is vastly larger than any historical feudal realm ever was, and the existence of dragons (not just their power but also their speed) is the only thing that makes unification over such a large area even remotely plausible, given the stage of technological and social development in Westeros.

True, and George does play fast and loose where he actually involves historical inspiration.

British history is one he seems to go back to though. And the Targaryans/Aegon the Conqueror, Normans/William the Conquerer and the Normans/Valeryans as a last immigration wave ending up as a pretty much a ruling class is probably one of the most obvious ones.

Eldorion wrote:Most noble houses claim descent across the millennia, and in the North especially the stories claim that the Starks, Boltons, Night's Watch, and various Kings-beyond-the-Wall have been fighting each other in basically the same pattern for like 8,000 years.  But plenty of Maesters think that's self-evidently absurd, an outlook that we as readers are likely to share, given our knowledge of real world historical patterns, but of course, ASOIAF works differently with magic, the Wall, etc.  So who knows?  It's deliberately left vague, since the characters don't know either.

Yeah, I like that history floating into myth/historical vaguenes part of the story too. Like when Sam is searching through the library of Castle Black and finds a list of previous Lord Commanders and it only goes to about 500, while tradition says there has been almost a 1000. I think he also comments that he can find pretty much no documentation of anything before the andal conquest, and ponders what all their supposed knowledge of that time is based on.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:29 am

Eldorion wrote:
I'm surprised no one else in this thread has heard of this theory.

Well, I am trying to unsuccessfully avoid spoilers. Mad So far I think I have succeeded in this endeavor.

I thought the video wasn't that spoiler-y. This is only a theory, and like he mentions, one that really would have no great impact on the big movers and shakers of Westeros and Essos.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 am

Spoiler:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:36 am

bungobaggins wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Eldorion wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:43 pm

I like it when an actor gets the character he's playing.  Very Happy

Ramsay's a lovely guy. Really warm, friendly person. Likes to take walks in the countryside... Murdering people. flaying people, torturing people, that kind of thing. Yeah, he enjoys doing it. It's not kind of "I'm a bad person," it's like "This is great, I'm really enjoying this." That's sort of key to the character.
- Iwan Rheon

https://youtu.be/jf6oDup2VGA?t=3m42s

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Laughing He's done a great job with the role. So have so many more actors in this show - Tywin, Roose Bolton, Arya, the guy who played Daario in S3, Littlefinger, Varys.. the list goes on and on, the casting is just excellent Very Happy

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 13 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 am

I've heard nothing but good things about Jack Gleeson from interviews and the like, but he really sells the character of Joffrey. It's pretty damn impressive.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 am

Bluebottle wrote:
Spoiler:

Of course.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Very Happy

I've always wanted that theory to be true.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:48 pm

There have certainly been some sublime casting in the series. Nod  Well, aside from the Mountain and Dario. Razz

For some actors they don't only completely inhabit the role, it's also almost turned into the role of their careers. Charles Dance is a great example of that. He's been completely reconcieved in the public conciousness by playing Tywin, which has allowed him to showcase an undeniable talent that perhaps wasn't appreciated enough as it was.  

One that's a bit out of left field is Julian Glover that plays Pycell. He's also a genuinely interesting person.

I find his talk on influencing his role really interesting. And I love how he and Charles Dance couldn't help spoiling..

Spoiler:

in just about every interview. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Very Happy

I gotta admit that it seems like one of the more questionable ones to me, but who knows. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Speaking of Pycelle, my mind was blown when I saw this:

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 13 XkTgszJ
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Eldorion wrote:I've heard nothing but good things about Jack Gleeson from interviews and the like, but he really sells the character of Joffrey.  It's pretty damn impressive.

Yeah, I think his is one of the most impressive performances of the entire show. I would never have believed an actor could play a character like Joffrey that convincingly.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm

agreed, they are all pretty fantastic, though the only actor who never really convinces me is Cercei, dont know why but she just doesnt.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:55 pm

Jack Gleason was pretty amazing, yeah. He pretty much embodied the trope "the person you love to hate."

And he doesn't even want to be an actor, as other cast members like to remark while gaping in shock.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I think they listed Julian Glovers franchize appearances in the interview as Star Wars, James Bond, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones and, of course, Game of Thrones.

I was watching through a bunch of actor interviews months ago, and going through it it was a bit like, "Actor interview, actor interview, actor interview. Wait.. a genuinely interesting person." So, I've been a bit sold on him since then.

I was going to write out a short quote from the interview as an example for those who don't have the bother to watch it.. and it got a bit long.

When I read the script on episode nine of the first series, when Sean get's it, I got to the end.. Head chopped off. I went "No, no, no. You don't kill of Hamlet in the middle of the play scene." So I went right back through the script and read it really properly, because I thought I must have missed something. No, I hadn't missed anything at all. And he get's his head chopped off. One of the bravest things I've ever known on television. And they had the courage to chop his head off and go on with the series. And of course the character, the name of the character, lives on. That chap will always be aorund in peoples mind, either as a threat or someones who's very good. To have that sort of enourmous figure chopped in the first series.. but they had the courage to go on with it. And now look at it, you can't stop it. It's a roller coaster and I see no reason why it shouldn't go on right to the end of the sixth book. And who knows maybe he could write another. Because it's timeless, as we know. People come and people go. Mostly people go. Amazing piece of imagination, the whole thing. In the fact that it isn't in any particular period. It's just got every period that ever happened in it. They don't have pin striped suits, but you know what I mean. All the artifacts and things come from every period in history and from all over the world. And the idea of that ice wall. In the very first episode, when we went to the very first showing of the very first episode, we had no idea what it was going to look like, and that ice wall presented itself at the beggining, with that little hole at the bottom of it with the people coming out on their horses. Oh my God.. what a piece of imagination. And the idea of having two seperate parts of England, which is such a small island, perpetually at odds with each other, with completely different sorts of people because of the weather. That's a wonderful idea, a wonderful idea. So imaginative.

Would really recommend watching it though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Very Happy

I gotta admit that it seems like one of the more questionable ones to me, but who knows. Laughing

Yeah, I'm with you there. Laughing  It's a "Most likely not." in my eyes too.

I just love the idea that..
Spoiler:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Pretty impressive list of franchises. Though credit should be given to whom it's due - George R. R. Martin, not the script writers scratch

I don't really mind Lena Heady's Cersei, I think she portrays her role quite well. I googled "Cersei actress" her to find her name, and this is the top picture:

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 13 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnOsnedt-wC62Io1BI-5mUpqYaTOzncrPBXO1TfeExwPWPEYiU

She looks absolutely gorgeous with black hair, why couldn't they have taken some artistic liberties and gone with a dark-haired Lannister, just one? Mad

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Strangely, both the other two turned up with pretty dark hair last season. To the degree that it was commented on. Razz

Ringdrotten wrote:Pretty impressive list of franchises. Though credit should be given to whom it's due - George R. R. Martin, not the script writers scratch

True. I think he mentions in the interview though, that he hasn't read the books. Which he never does when playing a role adapted from ficiton, as he doesn't see it as the actors role to second guess the adapters, producers, directors who has thought things through and made their decisions by saying things like "Why isn't this part in?" and so on. Though he will read it when he is done with his role. So his whole impression of ASoIaF is based on the series. A lot of his comments though, as the one about the breadth of imagination of the work above, is of course directed at Georges creation.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next