halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lancebloke
18 posters

Page 33 of 44 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38 ... 44  Next

Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 33 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I think I would have been great to have her in the show.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 pm

As a bit part I can understand her being cut, but she is a memorable character.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:16 pm

https://pawntoplayer.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/wronghome/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:21 am

I've kind of been struggling with this season, which must be readily apparent by this thread, and this pretty much summed up all the reasons.

My problems with the show aren’t like, “oh I don’t like how this plot is unfolding.” It’s more like, there’s no internal logic, characterizations change with the wind, it’s thematically simplistic and full of overused tropes that its source works hard to avoid, it’s sexist and worse it’s sexist in a way that creates a space for apologists, and of course, it’s not even an adaptation at this point: it’s fanfiction that profits from the creative work Martin’s done and hides behind things like “well this is his world” as an excuse for its problematic narrative.
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/120565416662/im-not-sure-if-you-talked-about-this-before-but

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:21 pm

its not sexist. I have a radar about stuff like that and its not beeping. cyclops The show has some of the most interesting and powerful women characters seen anywhere on tv. Brienne of Tarth, Arya, lady Thornknickers, the list is endless. How anyone can say its sexist is beyond me. Sansa was raped by her murderous husband, that happened in medieval times, that doesn't make it pandering to the audience, it shows the depravity of Ramsey Bolton and it wasn't even shown, it would have been pandering if it had been graphic sex, but it wasn't. if they had lingerd over her suffering in a voyeuristic way it would have been dodgy, but they didn't do that. Showing a rape does NOT make a programme sexist. At the moment Sansa is a victim of politics and power games. Rape is about power and the tv show doesn't normalize or trivialize its effect on her, instead it showed the mental trauma.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm also not sure what is sexist about the show really.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:54 pm

I cant understand these criticisms of the show. It has shown prostitutes being taught how to please their male clients in the first season, and nobody started whinging about sexism then.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:01 pm

That wasn't sexist either as far as I am concerned.

Tauriel was bloody sexist! Token female cast as a warrior who ended up blubbing over a 5 minute relationship.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Okay, I'll supply some context. Smile First off, I do not feel the story in itself is sexist. Rather the subversion and adaptation by the showrunners. George has said about aSoIaF, which I completely agree with..

“The books reflect a patriarchal society based on the Middle Ages. The Middle Ages were not a time of sexual egalitarianism. It was very classist, dividing people into three classes. And they had strong ideas about the roles of women. One of the charges against Joan of Arc that got her burned at the stake was that she wore men’s clothing—that was not a small thing. There were, of course, some strong and competent women. It still doesn’t change the nature of the society. And if you look at the books, my heroes and viewpoint characters are all misfits. They’re outliers. They don’t fit the roles society has for them. They’re ‘cripples, bastards, and broken things‘—a dwarf, a fat guy who can’t fight, a bastard, and women who don’t fit comfortably into the roles society has for them (though there are also those who do—like Sansa and Catelyn).

“Now there are people who will say to that, ‘Well, he’s not writing history, he’s writing fantasy—he put in dragons, he should have made an egalitarian society.’ Just because you put in dragons doesn’t mean you can put in anything you want. If pigs could fly, then that’s your book. But that doesn’t mean you also want people walking on their hands instead of their feet. If you’re going to do [a fantasy element], it’s best to only do one of them, or a few. I wanted my books to be strongly grounded in history and to show what medieval society was like, and I was also reacting to a lot of fantasy fiction. Most stories depict what I call the ‘Disneyland Middle Ages’—there are princes and princesses and knights in shining armor, but they didn’t want to show what those societies meant and how they functioned.

“I have millions of women readers who love the books, who come up to me and tell me they love the female characters. Some love Arya, some love Dany, some love Sansa, some love Brienne, some love Cersei—there’s thousands of women who love Cersei despite her obvious flaws. It’s a complicated argument. To be non-sexist, does that mean you need to portray an egalitarian society? That’s not in our history; it’s something for science fiction. And 21st century America isn’t egalitarian, either. There are still barriers against women. It’s better than what it was. It’s not Mad Men any more, which was in my lifetime.

“And then there’s the whole issue of sexual violence, which I’ve been criticized for as well. I’m writing about war, which what almost all epic fantasy is about. But if you’re going to write about war, and you just want to include all the cool battles and heroes killing a lot of orcs and things like that and you don’t portray [sexual violence], then there’s something fundamentally dishonest about that. Rape, unfortunately, is still a part of war today. It’s not a strong testament to the human race, but I don’t think we should pretend it doesn’t exist.

“I want to portray struggle. Drama comes out of conflict. If you portray a utopia, then you probably wrote a pretty boring book.”

Secondly, I don't belive the showrunners themselves are conciously sexist. Rather I think they fancy themseles rather progressive, but I feel their writing illustrates a lack of ability of writing female character outisde two or three general stereotypes, and some really questionable views on gender dynamics. As they say the proof is in the pudding. The evidence is in their writing and the show.

What the show does when it comes to gender is two things. It degrades all female characters into one of a coupe of tropes, the bad ass killers and scheemers, so called strrong female characters, and the weak feminine caring types. It also consistently displays strong positive feminine characteristics as weaknesses. Case in point..

Bluebottle wrote:I'll just post this here, as I thought it rather silly.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 33 Tumblr_npa58lplKo1qi40o2o1_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 33 Tumblr_npa58lplKo1qi40o2o2_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 33 Tumblr_npa58lplKo1qi40o2o3_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 33 Tumblr_npa58lplKo1qi40o2o4_500

“She was a guy originally, and then somewhere in the process we thought it might be cool if she were a mother, and show her sending off her own kids to make that moment with the corpse children really resonate emotionally,” Sapochnik explained.

I urge you both to read this aricle, whether you agree with it or not, it's an important perspective to take into account.

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/117645193922/got-meta-depiction-vs-endorsement-and-sexism

Episode 5x03 of Game of Thrones finally let me put into words something that has been on the edge of my mind for a while: it is an unforgivably sexist show.

“But wait, shouldn’t this have been fairly obvious from the get-go?” you ask. “There’s always been nudity, violence against women, and girls being sold like cattle? In fact, the world of Westeros is just horribly misogynistic!”

Yes, the world in which Martin set his A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) is a terribly sexist one. But George R.R. Martin is not sexist. The books are not sexist. The show…is. And here’s why: where Martin actively forces the reader to address the problematic treatment of women in his series head-on as an overarching theme, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss (D&D) actively incorporate sexist tropes and demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of the source material.
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/117645193922/got-meta-depiction-vs-endorsement-and-sexism
(This is a must read if you want to get into any depth of why people consider the show sexist.)

The Sansa question, and their general handling of sexualized violence, is a tale to itself, and infinitely more problematic than what I've talked about so far.

The show uses depictions of sexual violence simply for shock value, and does not adress the fall out from it. The Cersei Jamie scene, (which they weren't even aware was rape) was completely forgotten. At Crasters Keep rape was used as scenography. Backdrop to the action and narrative.

Rape is a horrible thing. Horrible things happen in life, and as such horrible things should play a role in fiction that seeks to handle the realities and harshness of life. But as anything with powerful emmotional impact it must be handled and used with care if it is not to go into the ridiculous or straight forward insulting. Rape happens in the books too, but George does not derail main characters storylines to get there, he does not have characters bend in hoops and act out of character to get there, he does not use such events merely for shock value, and he does not ignore the fallout of the event, neither does he let his readers do so.  

The way the showrunners have handled the portrayal of rape on the show speak nothing to me but their lack of the needed care when handling and using this narrative function.

Other than that I think I've already said most of what I feel like saying on the Sansa thing here.

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t958p735-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-2-book-spoilers#172864

Eldo also made some very important points on that page.

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t958p735-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-2-book-spoilers#172703

With the Sansa scene the showrunners did everything I stated above, D&D derailed Sansas storyline, no scratch that, they completely removed it. A main character, a point of view characters story completely removed, because.. they wanted her here instead, filling a function in someone elses storyline, being a secondary character to someone else. They had a whole rangfe of characters act completely illogically to get her there. Why was it done? Well, they said so themselves: Because they wanted to put a characert people were invested in in that horrible situation. Put shortly, for shock value.

“You have this storyline with Ramsay. Do you have one of your leading ladies—who is an incredibly talented actor who we’ve followed for five years and viewers love and adore—do it? Or do you bring in a new character to do it? To me, the question answers itself: You use the character the audience is invested in.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/26/game-thrones-sansa-ramsay-interview

I guess it creatively made sense, because they wanted it to happen. Rolling Eyes

Now what is this storyline they are talking about, because in the books it didn't consist solely of a rape. It happened in a context.

“Okay, so two episodes later, there’s no arguing Sansa’s playing a “major part.” She is on our screen a lot, reminding us of her suffering and lack of agency. With the most recent episode, she said goodbye to her empathy as well–the one trait of hers they had barely managed to keep. I’ve talked about the countless ways in which this entire arc was sexist and problematic, as well as being devoid of any internal logic. I’m not trying to revisit this aspect of it (though believe me, that criticism should never be forgotten, not for one second).

No, what I’d like to revisit is the bolded from the above quotes. Sansa servicing Theon and Ramsay’s storyline is clearly an issue in and of itself. But what the hell do they think Theon and Ramsay’s storyline is?

Here’s the very bare bones of the Winterfell plotline in ADWD:

The North is still quite upset with the Boltons. Lords are clearly unhappy about swearing their allegiance and Roose is concerned given that Stannis is trying to gain support in the North for himself.
   To sure up their allies, Roose has Ramsay marry a girl they pretend is Arya Stark, despite everyone knowing it’s not her. This is able to happen because it is of no cost to Littlefinger and Roose alike. Many Northern Lords and Freys come and stay at Winterfell during this event. It’s tense as all hell.
   Theon gives away the bride to increase the legitimacy of the sham wedding
   Ramsay rapes his wife
   Theon is raped in the same scene
   Theon converses with several key players in the North, including Lady Dustin, who contextualizes much of the tensions in the region, as well as provides key insight to the Starks.
   Men begin getting mysteriously murdered at Winterfell. The Lords are snowbound inside. Tensions bubble over because there are three missing Freys that people suspect were murdered by the Northern Lord Wyman Manderly.
   Tensions finally erupt into a brawl
   Theon flees to the Godswood where he thinks the tree whispers his name. That, along with Ramsay’s sexual abuse of both Theon and “Arya,” the way no Nothern Lords give a shit abut her obvious suffering, and the tensions breaking out cause Theon to have flashes of clarity

I’ll leave it off there, because it seems to be around where we are in 5x08. Here’s what Benioff and Weiss decided to keep in from that list:

A random old lady is The North is still quite upset with the Boltons. Lords are clearly One Lord is mentioned as being unhappy about swearing their allegiance and Roose is concerned given that Stannis is trying to gain support in the North for himself.
   Theon gives away the bride to increase the legitimacy of the sham wedding
   Ramsay rapes his wife

Okay. So. They loved this subplot in the books. What is it that they liked, exactly? I mean, Ramsay offering to go kill Stannis with 20 dudes doesn’t even happen, so clearly they can’t resist “improving” the little that they left in. The only thing from the books that Benioff and Weiss left untouched was:

Ramsay rapes his wife

That. That is the plot point they were desperate to include. That is the plot point they felt they could not do without. That is the one plot point in Winterfell that was “unchanged.” This is their understanding of the books.

Pretty telling, no?
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/120615659516/lets-revisit-why-sansas-being-raped-and

So, this great storyline with Ramsay was simply the rape.. It must have been, because they cut everything else..

Furthermore, this great storyline with Ramsay. Am I the only one who thinks it's now his story. Reek has been sidelined, Sansa is a victim to drive the others character development, remember the fortunate cutaway to Theons face at just the most gratuitous moment? How many read aDwDs and thought, you know what this book needs is for Ramsay to have a girlfriend and point of view chapters? Rolling Eyes

More writing on just how much of a trainwreck the Sansa scene was..

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/119391541235/why-sansa-really-kneeled-how-sexism-shaped-sansa
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/119290178087/hi-i-just-want-to-ask-a-question-about-sansa-it
http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/120615659516/lets-revisit-why-sansas-being-raped-and
http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/119463846881/all-hopefully-of-the-bad-arguments-about-rape-on

But perhaps I have to high expectation.

Yes, of course, Benioff and Weiss don’t know how to deal with rape in a meaningful manner. But they don’t know how to deal with anything in a meaningful manner either. —

Miodrag Zarković
https://pawntoplayer.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/unbroken-unbent-unbroken-unbowed-unbowed-unbent/

http://angrygotfan.com/2015/05/21/a-rape-victim-speaks-out-on-the-sansa-scene/

This last one is pretty heavy emmotionally, but it makes some very important points.

The first and last one should be read in their entirety, those are really important perspectives.

Generally it leads me to the conlusion that D&D do not have the necessary care or talent to handle these sorts of scenes. This narrative grip. Finally..

Now, I’m not saying that D&D’s depiction is endorsement, by the way. But I am saying their depiction is without thought, and without an overarching narrative purpose. It objectifies women and reduces them to silent sufferers of abuse for the sake of shock value. And given that Martin specifically goes out of his way to address instances of violence against women that could easily be dismissed (in fact, I’d argue he doesn’t present them unless there’s an obvious narrative reason), it’s just irresponsible on the part of D&D to be so dismissive themselves. The audience is encouraged to become spectators to tragedy, and the women are reduced to nothing more than their abuse.

So, there you go. A whole range of reasons why GoTs handling of gender and gender dynamics is problematic. At least now you've heard the views. Whether you agree with them or understand them. Well, that is of course completely up to you. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Since I don't get cable I'm not watching season 5, but my thoughts are that some people are trying awfully hard to show that D&D are looking for sexist plot lines.  Instead of a fake Arya they use a real Sansa to compress the number of characters.  The effect of calming down the Northern Lords would be the same, though I don't know if they brought that out in the show. And of course other details are cut; it's natural compression.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Well, that would work.. if there were northern lords in the show.. and Sansa has her own story.. and the way they got her there.. read the quote.. it was simply for shock..

“You have this storyline with Ramsay. Do you have one of your leading ladies—who is an incredibly talented actor who we’ve followed for five years and viewers love and adore—do it? Or do you bring in a new character to do it? To me, the question answers itself: You use the character the audience is invested in.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/26/game-thrones-sansa-ramsay-interview

And please.. just read the links..

http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/119463846881/all-hopefully-of-the-bad-arguments-about-rape-on

http://angrygotfan.com/2015/05/21/a-rape-victim-speaks-out-on-the-sansa-scene/

People claiming that the Sansa thing is ok just bewilders me.. as I've already said.. do I think D&D are consciously misogynistic? No.. do I find some of their expressed through narrative views on gender problematic compared to the books.. I can't help but do.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:13 am

Its still not sexist. sorry but I disagree about this. I don't think the Cercei Jaime thing was sexist either. They have a warped relationship and it seems like its within the bounds of how they roll.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:38 am

As to whether the Sansa scene was "okay", I think it entirely depends on what you mean by okay.  If we're talking about whether it was a good adaptational decision, then my answer is "obviously not", because the alterations made no sense for any of the characters (even the show versions) and the circumstances were generally contrived (a wedding between the two most important houses of the North, intended to secure the Bolton's place as Wardens, and no other houses were invited?  But the kennelmaster's daughter was at the ceremony?).  If we're discussing whether or not showing rape in fiction without exploring its psychological effects is indicative of misogyny ... I'd still say no, but I think it's worth calling out.  Personally, I think it belies a general lack of maturity and detail in their storytelling, but I'm uncomfortable speculating too much about people who I know nothing about.  However, undercutting Sansa's story in order to make her a supporting player in Theon's makes me doubt D&D's sincerity when they say that Sansa was one of their favorite characters "from the very beginning".

If we're talking scenes that demonstrate D&D's alleged unconscious misogyny, I don't think we need to go any further than the decision to have a sex slave (who is explicitly established as a slave, because of the expository conversation about facial tattoos from five minutes earlier in the episode) sexually proposition Tyrion because she was feeling bad about not getting as much attention from men as the other sex slave.  The most positive spin I can possibly put on this scene is that D&D are just really clueless about what slavery means.  I honestly have no idea how they went from this:

Season 1, Episode 9 wrote: A girl who was almost raped doesn't invite another man into her bed two hours later.

To the shit described above.

NB That comment from show!Shae is actually a departure from the books, in which Tyrion did have sex with a girl whom Jaime had just rescued from being raped a few hours earlier.  I think the show had a point here.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:45 pm

If we're talking scenes that demonstrate D&D's alleged unconscious misogyny, I don't think we need to go any further than the decision to have a sex slave (who is explicitly established as a slave, because of the expository conversation about facial tattoos from five minutes earlier in the episode) sexually proposition Tyrion because she was feeling bad about not getting as much attention from men as the other sex slave. Eldo

I must admit that I didn't see it like that, what I got was the fact she wasn't earning as much money as the other girl, not that she was craving attention/sex. But this show has always been politically incorrect, and that's why I like it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:17 am

She offered Tyrion free sex though so I don't really see it that way. Shrugging

I'm never entirely sure what people mean when they call something politically incorrect. D&D appear to be rather liberal/progressive types in general. I'm hard-pressed to think of anything in the show where I got the sense they were trying to thumb their nose at the idea of sensitivity. If anything they've gone out of their way to try to show a racially diverse fantasy setting  (though they're given IMO undeserved shit whenever black Essosi characters interact with the slave trade in any capacity) and are clearly in favor of the idea of strong female characters, to the point that they will sacrifice their worldbuilding in order to have sarcastic, independent, modern-acting women on the show. They also go out of their way to give villainous characters homophobic beliefs that weren't in the books for no other reason than to make the point that being anti-gay is bad. Whether or not D&D have a problem with unconscious misogyny, they seem very much in line with modem notions of "political correctness" as I understand the term to be used.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:32 pm

D&D don't sanitise things, politically correct tv would shy away from slavery/colonialist issues, remember when Dany was carried aloft by worshipful 'dark skinned' population. that's just one example. They don't shy away from women being sex slaves, homosexual desire, casual incest, Dwarf baiting, the list is endless.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:14 pm

I think this comes down to our definitions of politically correct. As I usually see the term used, it doesn't mean pretending that certain things don't exist, but refers to a set of "proper" attitudes about them. One can argue that D&D aren't very good at depicting such things, but their comments about the show really leave little room for doubt about their intentions. They clearly aren't trying to support rape or ableism or whatever (they do seem to support acceptance of gay people, but that's a pretty politically correct thing to do and I'm not sure what would be politically incorrect about showing gay desire). When challenged about the Dany scene you mentioned, they claimed that the racial element was unintentional and simply a result of filming in Morocco and relying on local extras. That could just have been ass-covering, but they've gone out of their way to show white slaves and black slavers since then, which is more like Ancient Roman slavery (ie, primarily non-racial) which is the main inspiration for the Essosi slave trade in both the books and the show.

Granted, they were criticized for that too, so I suppose it's true that they reject some forms of political correctness (what one might call the tumblr kind Razz which does tend to argue against the mere depiction of certain things, cf. Zero Dark Thirty). So if we're going by that definition of political correctness than I'd have to agree with you.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:27 pm

These fools need to relax and take off their big PC boots.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:19 pm

That tale she had from Justin Massey, who was less devout than most. “A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.”

“Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder.”

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."
Ser Justin put one hand on his sword hilt. "On my honor as a knight, you have my word."

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:30 pm

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/121016611972/no-this-wont-happen-in-the-books

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12 am

A completely book snob complaint, but.. Maegor the third?! Are they even trying at this point.. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:30 am

If I were inclined to give them the benefit of a doubt I'd say that line was there to establish Mace as a buffoon who doesn't really know what he's talking about.  But it more likely comes from the same place as "Isildur, the last king of Gondor" and "a thousand years this city has stood" in PJ's LOTR.  Though the difference there is a case can be made for PJ's changes making Gondor easier to explain to an audience (not entirely sure I'd agree), whereas changing the regnal numbers has no such impact.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Eldorion wrote:If I were inclined to give them the benefit of a doubt I'd say that line was there to establish Mace as a buffoon who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Someone actually made a technical term for that. Razz

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/119898286777/im-like-95-convinced-lancel-is-the-handsome
http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/116816249708/the-book-snob-glossary

Eldorion wrote:But it more likely comes from the same place as "Isildur, the last king of Gondor" and "a thousand years this city has stood" in PJ's LOTR.  Though the difference there is a case can be made for PJ's changes making Gondor easier to explain to an audience (not entirely sure I'd agree), whereas changing the regnal numbers has no such impact.

Yeah, it is a small, but very important piece of back story. And with these epic fantasy series presenting a strong backstory is kind of how people can loose themselves in the wider world of your creation. If they had said Maegor the first or Maegor the cruel people could either have gone to one of the wikis and learned why no king was called Maegor again after him, (Well, Aerion Brightflame did name his son, who was the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, after him. And it was part of the reason he was passed over.) or HBO could have included it in one of the History and Lore things. Why throw that by the way side? I can't think of any better reason than that they didn't know better.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:16 pm

I dunno, I don't really agree that the number of Targaryen kings named Maegor is an important part of thrones backstory. There's no reason whatsoever to change it, but the flip side of that is that changing it has no real implications for the story (one of the few changes you can say that about). It's just a little disappointing when you're a fan of the source material to be reminded how often it's marginalized.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 44 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 38 ... 44  Next