Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 20 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [2]

Post by Bluebottle Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Oh, cool. Very Happy

Is it true he has like "ink stains" covering up parts he wants to use in later stories? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 am

Nah, I haven't seen any ink stains yet. Wink

Also, that famous Robert vs Rhaegar picture -- which I love, as it helped get me interested in the series in the first place -- has been one-upped by the back endpaper of this book.  The art throughout is gorgeous.  I keep noticing Nasmith's style when his painting show up (there are at least 100 total).  Something about the way he draws rocks and mountains is instantly recognizable to me.  Some great samples at the link below; the Iron Throne painting has been my phone wallpaper for several months now. Very Happy

http://mashable.com/2014/10/28/world-ice-fire/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Ah, ok. He just mentioned that in some interview. (That stuff with Summerhall and so on, that he would use in the Dunk and Egg stories, would be covered up in some way.(He would knock over his inkwell and it would be covered by an inkstain or something.)) But perhaps he wasn't beeing literal. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Eldorion wrote:Also, that famous Robert vs Rhaegar picture -- which I love, as it helped get me interested in the series in the first place -- has been one-upped by the back endpaper of this book. The art throughout is gorgeous. I keep noticing Nasmith's style when his painting show up (there are at least 100 total). Something about the way he draws rocks and mountains is instantly recognizable to me. Some great samples at the link below; the Iron Throne painting has been my phone wallpaper for several months now. Very Happy

http://mashable.com/2014/10/28/world-ice-fire/

Liking the pictures. Nod  The throne certainly looks a lot more striking as George imagined it. Dragonstone looks pretty epic too.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Probably the same interview that's on the bottom of the page Eldo linked to Smile Listened to it this morning, fun and interesting as always.  Got to love the guy's personality, and the way he sometimes won't answer questions in Q&A sessions - "no", followed by that awesome laugh Laughing

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 20 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Oh, don't think I'd seen that. And I missed it when looking at the pictures.  Smile

Yeah, he's a pretty funny guy. Nod  I watched a bunch of interviews with him before I started reading the books, and as well as being funny he has some interesting views. Actually, that played a big part in pushing me to actually getting around to reading them.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm

From the interview. I found it funny anyway.

Someone started arguing online recently, I got an email about it, of whether Drogon.. could.. beat.. Smaug.

You know. As competitive as I am, and I would like my guys to win. Basically, no. Drogon is a very young dragon and still barely large enough to get Dany into the sky. Pretty formidable, but Smaug is gigantic. Not to mention the fact that Smaug talks, and would probably have an intellectual advantage.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Ah, ok. He talks about it here.

https://youtu.be/Vcy-EhkHXnE?t=56m30s

He did want to do the ink blot thing, but his publisher convinced him it was a bad idea as people would think they had gotten a defective copy with an actual ink blot in it and might try to hand their book back in to get a non defective one. Razz

Funny idea though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:22 am

Oh, and here's the "interview" for those who don't have the bother to go through the links.

It's.. err.. longish. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:30 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 20 4Cq5CID

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 am

I do wonder if there will be a schism within the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones fandom now that the really substantial changes are beginning. Of course, it's already a very different case from something like LOTR or Harry Potter, because ASOIAF was still niche before the show took off, and so there's a much larger portion of the audience who have not read the books. And these people have mostly managed to stay spoiler free, somehow, which I suppose is helped by the books not being as thoroughly engrained into pop cultural consciousness. At least not until show reaches that point; good luck not knowing what the Red Wedding is nowadays.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Yeah, I can kind of see that coming. With the changes they're making in season 5, and already started making in season 4, being as major as they are we're obviously not getting the same story.

Now, it's probably fairest to judge the series on it's own merit. If it makes internal narrative sense one should probably not raise to many complaints just about the changes in themselves. If they do not or start detracting from the original story, I can see a fair bit of criticism comng from book readers. A bit like the situation were seeing with Jackson and the Tolkien films now. And they've already made some pretty strange choices in season 4, so I would say there's at least some reason to be worried.

One thing that strikes me with both LotRs and ASoIaF is that despite there size and scope they show a great narrative cohesiveness. Things make sense in themself and in the context of the story as a whole. When you make changes for seemingly the sake of it, as Jackson seems fond of, without having the authors consideration for the story as a whole often create paradoxes and inconsistencies that weren't there in the original story.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Eldorion wrote:Of course, it's already a very different case from something like LOTR or Harry Potter, because ASOIAF was still niche before the show took off, and so there's a much larger portion of the audience who have not read the books.  And these people have mostly managed to stay spoiler free, somehow, which I suppose is helped by the books not being as thoroughly engrained into pop cultural consciousness.  At least not until show reaches that point; good luck not knowing what the Red Wedding is nowadays.

Yes, and I also tink the size of it puts a lot of people off. One of the Ice and Fire books is after all almost as long as the LotRs. It's amusing how some of the actors just devoured the books when they got the part, while others didn't even contemplate reading them as it's not their thing.

I think Charles Dance said something like, "I only read on the plane, and these books are far too large to take with you in the handluggage." Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Several of the ASOIAF volumes are longer than the entirety of LOTR.  A Storm of Swords is more than 1200 pages in paperback!  LOTR is about 1000 plus prologue and Appendices (which are about 150 combined).

Bluebottle wrote:One thing that strikes me with both LotRs and ASoIaF is that despite there size and scope they show a great narrative cohesiveness. Things make sense in themself and in the context of the story as a whole. When you make changes for seemingly the sake of it, as Jackson seems fond of, without having the authors consideration for the story as a whole often create paradoxes and inconsistencies that weren't there in the original story.

It will certainly be interesting to see just how certain plots like the Iron Islands, Arianne, and Faegon affect the overall plot.  Part of me thinks that the showrunners wouldn't remove them if they have a major impact on the ending, since they have stuck reasonably close in most respects so far.  But it's also possible that they were planning to start making much bolder departures once they reached the end of ASOS anyway.  And tbh, Feast/Dance could use a lot of trimming, so I think this has the potential to work out a lot better than Jackson's changes.  Whether it actually does comes down to execution though, and I'm not convinced that D&D can pull it off.  But I'd love for them to do it and shut up all the doubters (myself included). Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:35 pm

I have my doubts to be honest. Sofa  

I'll admit a lot of that is down to me not agreeing with a lot of the choices they've made so far, and as such not trusting their judgment though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:34 am

Well, I'm back to my ADWD/AFFCs combined reread. Up to chapter 87 now, out of 119. And there are some really good parts towards the end of ADWDs.

This might be a very personal favourite, but still..

Frog, the squire, was the youngest of the three, and the least impressive, a solemn, stocky lad, brown of hair and eye. His face was squarish, with a high forehead, heavy jaw, and broad nose. The stubble on his cheeks and chin made him look like a boy trying to grow his first beard. Dany had no inkling why anyone would call him Frog. Perhaps he can jump farther than the others.

Now, how can you not love a character like that. Very Happy

The old knight read the pact slowly. "If Robert had known of this, he would have smashed Sunspear as he once smashed Pyke, and claimed the heads of Prince Doran and the Red Viper ... and like as not, the head of this Dornish princess too."

"No doubt that was why Prince Doran chose to keep the pact a secret," suggested Daenerys. "If my brother Viserys had known that he had a Dornish princess waiting for him, he would have crossed to Sunspear as soon as he was old enough to wed."

"And thereby brought Robert's warhammer down upon himself, and Dorne as well," said Frog. "My father was content to wait for the day that Prince Viserys found his army."

"Your father?"

"Prince Doran." He sank back onto one knee. "Your Grace, I have the honor to be Quentyn Martell, a prince of Dorne and your most leal subject."

Dany laughed.

The Dornish prince flushed red, whilst her own court and counselors gave her puzzled looks. "Radiance?" said Skahaz Shavepate, in the Ghiscari tongue. "Why do you laugh?"

"They call him frog, " she said, "and we have just learned why. In the Seven Kingdoms there are children's tales of frogs who turn into enchanted princes when kissed by their true love." Smiling at the Dornish knights, she switched back to the Common Tongue. "Tell me, Prince Quentyn, are you enchanted?"

"No, Your Grace."

"I feared as much." Neither enchanted nor enchanting, alas. A pity he' s the prince, and not the one with the wide shoulders and the sandy hair.

Ah, well, it's a weak joke, but still.. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Though I guess Baristan put it best.

She wants fire, and Dorne sent her mud. You could make a poultice out of mud to cool a fever. You could plant seeds in mud and grow a crop to feed your children. Mud would nourish you, where fire would only consume you, but fools and children and young girls would choose fire every time.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:05 pm

only a couple more months to go bounce
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:18 pm

So, I finished my reread.. and.. yeah.. I've talked a bit about it before, so not sure how much point there is in me repeating myself, other than to say, for anyone reading the series, if you are going to read the last two books, do read them together.

AFFCs and ADWDs are actually a really good book when combined. Where seperately AFFCs is actively boring on it's own, and ADWDs, while better, still falls short of living up to A Storm of Swords, which is easily the best of the series. Combining the books doesn't bring it up to that level, but it goes a long way towards mitigating some of their inherent flaws. It hits you as early as when you jump from chapter 4 in AFFCs, a Cersei chapter, to chapter 2 in ADWDs, a Tyrion chapter, really.

Ah, I could go on about this for quite some time.. But I wont.

It still lacks a proper ending, as George famously decided to cut that part out of ADWDs and save it for the, still unreleased, Winds of Winter. Which does leave one with several major cliffhangers. So it still has it's problems.

But, yeah, I heartily reccomend it. Whether you're coming to it for the first time, or doing a reread. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I'll probably reread the series before book six, so I'll keep this in mind Smile Any improvement to book 4 is welcome

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 20 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Cool. Would be interesting to hear what you think of it. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Here, because of.. spoilers.

So the latest news in Game of Thrones land is that a certain someone, who famously had a contract banning him from altering his haircut, has cut his hair.
Spoiler:

Which can lead one to speculate quite widely (and wildly), but I'm guessing it at least means we're getting the "For the watch!" moment this season.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 pm

No I don't know what that is and I don't like the sound of it. affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 44 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32 ... 44  Next