Norc
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
malickfan
12 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Damn computers... - Page 4 Empty Re: Damn computers...

Post by Norc Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:30 pm

apple Very Happy their logo has something to do with alan turing, no spoilers, and benedict plays turing, come on.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:30 pm

there is so much depth in what i bring to this discussion don't u think Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Eldorion wrote:I have no idea what Windows 3.x was like (it was before my time Razz) but in Ubuntu you can open the command line interface the same way you open any other program, and then you have access to all the "under the hood" stuff that allows.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Very Happy
Sometimes for example it's nice to manually designate devices and ports etc., especially if you're playing with things that don't necessarily have a formal driver. I haven't been able to do that for a while.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:36 pm

halfwise wrote:
David H wrote:Sort of like way back in the Windows 3.X days, when you'd shut down the pretty pictures and go digging into the DOS command language that was running just below the surface, yes?

Perzactly.  Damn useful at times, and you feel so smug.  But Unix is far beyond where DOS was in those days.  DOS has in fact evolved to be very like UNIX in recent years.

(Norc, get the book Dave ordered and learn how to run your computer like a remote control zombie.)

Oh, I think this is going to be fun! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: 

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Norc wrote:there is so much depth in what i bring to this discussion don't u think Very Happy

Indeed there is. Both depth and distance from subject matter. That's why we love you! Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 am

David H wrote:
Norc wrote:there is so much depth in what i bring to this discussion don't u think Very Happy

Indeed there is. Both depth and distance from subject matter. That's why we love you! Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Damn computers... - Page 4 Tumblr_myt9h2zB5O1rzik3go1_500
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Damn computers... - Page 4 F940nkk_zps54aa2045
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Shocked 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I always found the trademark disputes between Apple Corp and Apple Computers interesting.

1978–1981

In 1978, Apple Corps, the Beatles-founded holding company and owner of their record label, Apple Records, filed a lawsuit against Apple Computer for trademark infringement. The suit was settled in 1981 with an undisclosed amount being paid to Apple Corps. This amount had been estimated to be US$50–250 million, but was later revealed to be $80,000.[1] As a condition of the settlement, Apple Computer agreed not to enter the music business, and Apple Corps agreed not to enter the computer business.[2][3]

1986–1989

In 1986, Apple Computer added MIDI and audio-recording capabilities to its computers, which included putting the advanced Ensoniq 5503 DOC sound chip from famous synthesizer maker Ensoniq into the Apple IIGS computer. In 1989, this led Apple Corps to sue again, claiming violation of the 1981 settlement agreement.[2] The outcome of this litigation effectively spelled the end of any further development of the highly profitable Apple II line, all forays at the time by Apple Computer into the multimedia field in parallel with the Amiga, and any future advanced built-in musical hardware in the Macintosh line.[citation needed]

In 1991, another settlement involving payment of around $26.5 million to Apple Corps was reached.[4] This time, an Apple employee named Jim Reekes had included a sampled system sound called Chimes to the Macintosh operating system (the sound was later renamed to sosumi, to be read phonetically as "so sue me"). Outlined in the settlement was each company's respective trademark rights to the term "Apple". Apple Corps held the right to use Apple on any "creative works whose principal content is music", while Apple Computer held the right to use Apple on "goods or services ... used to reproduce, run, play or otherwise deliver such content", but not on content distributed on physical media.[5] In other words, Apple Computer agreed that it would not package, sell or distribute physical music materials.

2003–2006

In September 2003, Apple Corps sued Apple Computer again, this time for breach of contract, in using the Apple logo in the creation and operation of Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store, which Apple Corps contended was a violation of the previous agreement. Some observers believed the wording of the previous settlement favoured Apple Computer in this case.[1] Other observers speculated that if Apple Corps was successful, Apple Computer would be forced to offer a much larger settlement, perhaps resulting in Apple Corps becoming a major shareholder in Apple Computer, or perhaps in Apple Computer splitting the iPod and related business into a separate entity.[6]

The trial opened on 29 March 2006 in England,[7] before a single judge of the High Court. In opening arguments, a lawyer for Apple Corps stated that in 2003, shortly before the launch of Apple Computer's on-line music store, Apple Corps rejected a $1 million offer from Apple Computer to use the Apple name on the iTunes store.

On 8 May 2006 the court ruled in favour of Apple Computer,[8] with Justice Edward Mann holding that "no breach of the trademark agreement [had] been demonstrated".[9][10]

The Judge focused on section 4.3 of that agreement:

4.3 The parties acknowledge that certain goods and services within the Apple Computer Field of Use are capable of delivering content within the Apple Corps Field of Use. In such case, even though Apple Corps shall have the exclusive right to use or authorize others to use the Apple Corps Marks on or in connection with content within subsection 1.3(i) or (ii) [the Apple Corps catalogue and any future music], Apple Computers [sic] shall have the exclusive right to use or authorize others to use the Apple Computer Marks on or in connection with goods or services within subsection 1.2 [Apple Computer Field of Use] (such as software, hardware or broadcasting services) used to reproduce, run, play or otherwise deliver such content provided it shall not use or authorize others to use the Apple Computer Marks on or in connection with physical media delivering pre-recorded content within subsection 1.3(i) or (ii) (such as a compact disc of the Rolling Stones music).[9]

The Judge held Apple Computer's use was covered under this clause.

In response, Neil Aspinall, manager of Apple Corps, indicated that the company did not accept the decision: "With great respect to the trial judge, we consider he has reached the wrong conclusion," and announced that it would "be filing an appeal and putting the case again to the Court of Appeal." The judgment orders Apple Corps to pay Apple Computer's legal costs at an estimated UK£2 million, but pending the appeal the judge declined Apple Computer's request for an interim payment of £1.5 million.[11]

The verdict spawned the Wrong Guy incident on BBC News 24, in which a job applicant mistakenly appeared on air after he was confused with computing expert Guy Kewney.

There was a hint that relations between the companies were improving at the January 2007 Macworld conference, when Apple CEO Steve Jobs featured Beatles content heavily in his keynote presentation and demonstration of the iPhone. During that year's All Things Digital conference, Jobs quoted the Beatles song "Two of Us" in reference to his relationship with co-panelist Microsoft chairman Bill Gates. Speculation abounded regarding the much anticipated arrival of the Beatles' music to the iTunes Store.

On 5 February 2007, Apple Inc. and Apple Corps announced a settlement of their trademark dispute under which Apple Inc. will own all of the trademarks related to "Apple" and will license certain of those trademarks back to Apple Corps for their continued use. The settlement ends the ongoing trademark lawsuit between the companies, with each party bearing its own legal costs, and Apple Inc. will continue using its name and logos on iTunes. The settlement includes terms that are confidential, although newspaper accounts at the time stated that Apple Computer was buying out Apple Corps' trademark rights for a total of $500 million.[12]

Commenting on the settlement, Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO said, "We love the Beatles, and it has been painful being at odds with them over these trademarks. It feels great to resolve this in a positive manner, and in a way that should remove the potential of further disagreements in the future."

Commenting on the settlement on behalf of the shareholders of Apple Corps, Neil Aspinall, manager of Apple Corps said, "It is great to put this dispute behind us and move on. The years ahead are going to be very exciting times for us. We wish Apple Inc. every success and look forward to many years of peaceful co-operation with them."

An announcement in April 2007 that Apple Corps had settled another long-running dispute with EMI (and that Neil Aspinall had retired and been replaced by Jeff Jones) further fueled media speculation that The Beatles' catalogue would appear on iTunes.[13]

In early September 2007, an Apple press release for the new iPod touch, related iPod updates, and iPhone price cut was entitled "The Beat Goes On", the title of the Beatles' last press release before splitting up. Although Beatles content was still unavailable from the iTunes store, each Beatle's solo work could be accessed and downloaded on this service. Paul McCartney was quoted in Rolling Stone as saying that their catalogue would be released through digital music stores such as iTunes in the first quarter of 2008,[14][15] but this did not happen until 2010.[16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Damn computers... - Page 4 F940nkk_zps54aa2045

lol! 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 pm

lol! indeed'io !

Damn computers... - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Damn computers... - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:50 am

Laughing 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am

i just found out i have to change my battery... i knew it was bad, but 14 % of what it once was !!!!!! Shocked i also have to change harddrive... and aesghømj, i fucking hate computers.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 am

Be sure to upgrade your hard drive to greater capacity, it doesn't cost as much as it used to.  Nod 

Much as I appreciate Apple trying to squeeze more life out of their batteries, I really think everyone would be happy to sacrifice 15% of the power for making it user replaceable.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon May 12, 2014 12:38 pm

yeah.... gonna change the hardrive althogether... before june ... but omg, below 14%!!! like i haven't lost 14 %, there is 14% left!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 pm

This may be helpful for future use, though I haven't followed most procedures myself:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

halfwise wrote:Much as I appreciate Apple trying to squeeze more life out of their batteries, I really think everyone would be happy to sacrifice 15% of the power for making it user replaceable.

But then Mac users might be able to make decisions about what to do with their own devices instead of being completely beholden to Apple's "creative vision" for the devices that it ceases to own after selling them. affraid
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon May 12, 2014 5:40 pm

What Eldo said Nod 

On my quest for operating system freedom, I got the Enzer Unix book Halfy recommended. I've been using it for bathroom reading. It really is a very well written intro to Unix. I'm remembering so much OS stuff I thought I'd forgetten cheers

After three failed attempts to download and install Ubuntu from the website, I've finally broke down and ordered the DVD. I'm still waiting, keeping Firefox on maximum script blockers and limiting my web browsing. I'm even typing in all the smiley codes by hand here again.... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 pm

so I need to find a free version of Photoshop Elements 12, I had a 'free trial' but now they are axing for money which I dont have, is there a free free version? or this gimp thing Petty goes on about, is it like Photoshop cos I am used to it and know where all the fiddly knobs are in Photoshop, and I hate fiddling with unknown knobs. But it cant be full Photoshop cos my computer isnt big enough to take it.

has anyone got a reliable gimp link?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 pm

You can get GIMP from their webpage- here-

http://www.gimp.org/

Most of he symbods used for the tools are the same or similar to photoshop- some thing are different but you should be able to jump right in pretty much.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

What Petty said. I find the whole interface of both to be largely non-intuitive for anything except drawing with the brushes, (and even that gets mysteriously screwed up), so have to figure everything out all over again every time I use it. In which case, it doesn't matter if it's slightly different from photoshop, it's the same stupid shit!  Mad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 pm

I looked at gimp and I dont like it, I cant even find the freeking crop tool.  Banghead how do you crop an image? its horrible.  Mad  I need Photoshop  Sad  oh woe is me  No Crying or Very sad  what am I going to doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooah!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Don't explanations pop up when you hover with the mouse?

The crop tool supposedly looks like a razor blade knife. Not obvious, I know. 3rd row, second from left.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Suspect  cute little doggie, but I dont like it
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:You can get GIMP from their webpage- here-

http://www.gimp.org/

Most of he symbods used for the tools are the same or similar to photoshop- some thing are different but you should be able to jump right in pretty much.

thanks anyway  No Sad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next