feanor 1999
Bluebottle
21 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Future releases [2] - Page 21 Empty Re: Future releases [2]

Post by Sinister71 Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:37 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

Didn't know Chris Pratt was going to be in this.

just seen this (well the official trailer anyways) I think it looks rather good,  Suspect  genetic tampering whats not to like cheers

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:47 pm

I promised myself I wouldn't watch the Jurassic World trailer...let's see how long I last...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:25 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

not sure about this. could be great. could be crap.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:

could be, but come on dino genetic crossbreeding experimentation? BRILLIANT!!!! :prof:

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:35 pm

So apparently The Stand is being adapted into FOUR films:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/24/matthew-mcconaughey-the-stand-stephen-king-adaptation

(I'm just glad Jackson isn't involved we'd probably have four Trilogies (has that joke stopped being funny yet?)

I'm liking that casting suggestion (though if you cast him as Flagg, who would play Stu?)

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:46 pm

ooh I think I like it Very Happy

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Well that's not what I was expecting!
I read the title and thought, "hm.. some kind of Roman mythology-legacy something-or-other."
That is an interesting cast though. I was surprised to see Rooney Mara and Hugh Jackman in the trailer.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 am

malickfan wrote:So apparently The Stand is being adapted into FOUR films:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/24/matthew-mcconaughey-the-stand-stephen-king-adaptation

(I'm just glad Jackson isn't involved we'd probably have four Trilogies (has that joke stopped being funny yet?)

I'm liking that casting suggestion (though if you cast him as Flagg, who would play Stu?)

Well, the miniseries was divided into four episodes, each 90 minutes long. So there is some precedent for this. Although, I don't think I like it. IIRC the novel is divided into three sections, so there is a set division in the source material. Plus I don't think the public is interested enough in this story to go see four movies in the cinema. How will their release dates be spread apart? Will it be one a year like LOTR and TH? Or more?

Maybe it will take off and be made. Maybe the movies will be a big hit. But at the moment I don't really see this happening.

Here they are ready to make four movies out of The Stand, and all I really want is a full version of Baby, can you dig your man?.

Sure the miniseries is cheesy and 90's as hell, but King did the teleplay. Will he have any sort of oversight or approval here? I'm also wondering how the general public would react to the in-your-face religious and Christian themes of the story.

Malick, have you read the book? How much King have you read?

I think McConaughey is a good choice for Flagg, but if they get him for this then they'd need to get him for The Dark Tower movies/tv series. But I think the actor from the miniseries did a great job with Flagg, too. He really put "Dude" in The Walkin' Dude. Cool

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:43 am

"Conceived as an American version of The Lord of the Rings"

This phrase gets thrown around a lot about The Stand, and I'm wondering if audiences and critics would be willing to accept the "eucatastrophe" ending.

PJ pretty much voided Tolkien's eucatastrophe by having Frodo push Gollum into the fire; I wonder if they'll retain "The Hand of God" in The Stand.

hmmm... thestandmovieforum.com url seems to be available. Wink

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:59 am

Mrs Figg wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:

Well, my initial thoughts are that it will probably be better than JP3, because Spielberg is producing. (He wasn't involved with JP3, AFIAK.) Child actors are an immediate cause for concern. They turned out great in the first movie, but pretty much forgettable in the second and third movies.

By the looks of the trailer they will not be using animatronic dinosaurs. So that's just something you'll have to get over before you see the movie. Razz

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I am a bit tired of remakes and sequels. Unless its Harry Potter and then I am good to go. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:31 pm

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:07 pm

It's gonna be great.

It's gonna be great.

It's gonna be great.

Hopefully it'll work.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:14 pm

It's like poetry.

---

"Cuh-roos-kant?"

"Cut, let's do it again."

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:15 pm

I can't wait for the goongas.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 pm

They really are pretty useless.

Like, literally War and Peace.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
malickfan wrote:So apparently The Stand is being adapted into FOUR films:

Well, the miniseries was divided into four episodes, each 90 minutes long. So there is some precedent for this. Although, I don't think I like it. IIRC the novel is divided into three sections, so there is a set division in the source material. Plus I don't think the public is interested enough in this story to go see four movies in the cinema. How will their release dates be spread apart? Will it be one a year like LOTR and TH? Or more?

Maybe it will take off and be made. Maybe the movies will be a big hit. But at the moment I don't really see this happening.

Here they are ready to make four movies out of The Stand, and all I really want is a full version of Baby, can you dig your man?.

Sure the miniseries is cheesy and 90's as hell, but King did the teleplay. Will he have any sort of oversight or approval here? I'm also wondering how the general public would react to the in-your-face religious and Christian themes of the story.

Malick, have you read the book? How much King have you read?

I think McConaughey is a good choice for Flagg, but if they get him for this then they'd need to get him for The Dark Tower movies/tv series. But I think the actor from the miniseries did a great job with Flagg, too. He really put "Dude" in The Walkin' Dude. Cool

I have read only 2 of King's books The Stand (The uncut version) and 11/22/63, loved both (I have a terrible habit of reading about books more than reading them...), although I did feel both had rather wtf sudden endings, and some of the American history and politics was lost on me. Dialogue is not one of King' strong points (when he writes speech it often reads like it was written if that makes sense, I find it hard to picture the characters saying alot of his overly speechy dialogue) and both books took a while to get going (I actually liked the slow pace, but it is a weakness), but he tells the stories very well, with engrossing characters and twists and turns, King is not necessarily a great writer, but he is a fantastic storyteller.

I agree a 4 parter is rather over the top (I'd end having to fork out £40 quid give or take), as the three act structure and 'road movie' style of the book doesn't lend itself all that well to a blockbuster film, presumably they will ramp up the dreams and action scenes early on, and increase Flagg's presence throughout to make it more cinematic.

The religious aspect of the book isn't one that really bothered me (I'm not exactly an atheist, simply too sketical/lazy/indifferent to pay much attention to the debate), but It might be one to tone down if the film were to sell internationally (the UK for intents and purposes is a broadly non religious country when it comes to the arts imo).

I was quite lucky when it came to the TV series, it's been out of print for a while in the UK (as far as I know) and very hard (and expensive to get hold of), but I happened to pick up a second hand copy down the market the very day after I started reading the book. The TV series, whilst dated and rather cheesy is actual quite enjoyable, very faifthful to the book (perhaps too much so, on the UK DVD it is edited into 2 3hr episodes) with some great character actors that liven up the script a good deal, although it is always nice to find a faithful adaptation I did think King should have taken a few more liberties with the script, it did feel alot like he was merely connecting the dots between the lengthy plot, and the characters didn't get alot of room to breath imo, 6 hours maybe wasn't enough, and the dialogue they were lumbered with didn't really feel like it would be spoken-essentially it was obvious it was an adaptation. It's weird, although The Stand suits the format of TV (due to it's length and relatively small scale set pieces) there is something cinematic about its scope and story that I'd like to see on the big screen (if only for better cinematography).

For some reason the thing I remember most about the TV series is the very 90's TV advert about the man sneezing and dancing next to a puddle...

McConaughey is a very fine actor and it would be great for to get a franchise of sorts  for him (I think he's better suited as a supporting villain rather than an action lead in blockbuster films), I just pictured Flagg alot older personally (In the introduction dated 1989 I think, King mentions Clint Eastwood or Robert Duvall as possible candidates for a proposed film) and I only really know him from his 'good guy' roles, I'm sure he could pull off sinister, but someone more physically imposing might be better imo. I haven't read The Dark Tower series so I have no idea how Flagg differs in those books.

The thing is McConaughey is about as Texas as they come, (and very hot property at the moment) not to mention the right age for Stu...

I've never heard of the currently attached director, but I hope he has a good enough script to meet his ambition, Ben Affleck and David Yates were amongst many to struggle and fail wrestling it into a film able script...

This is apparently the proposed ending to the script Boone is reworking:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/09/02/how-will-the-movie-version-of-the-stand-end

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad affraid

Yes you read that 'The Stand:2'...

Last edited by malickfan on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:06 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

Neutral

Very nice looking, but not particularly earth shattering for a teaser, loving the cinematography and the concept of John Boyega (watch Attack The Block, the kid can Act and swear very convincingly...) as a Stormtrooper, and the 10 year old inside me screamed with joy when the Falcon popped up.

I'm a tad confused though...where is Jar Jar Binks? I thought he was the most popular character given the fans seem to talk about him all the time.... Suspect

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:33 am

malickfan wrote:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/09/02/how-will-the-movie-version-of-the-stand-end

That's rather disheartening to read. Not sure who came up with that ending, but I think I would walk out of the theater and not be able to speak for a week or two. pale

I still don't believe that this story is suited for modern Hollywood.

I haven't read The Dark Tower series so I have no idea how Flagg differs in those books.

Flagg is one of many names that the main antagonist in most of the Dark Tower series uses. He takes on different appearances and forms, but I like to imagine that he looks somewhat similar all around. He makes a brief but memorable appearance as Flagg at the end of book 4.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:23 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Seriously can't wait for that.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:32 pm

filmed in norway Very Happy and also kinda cool they talk about the "turing-test" Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:12 am

Well the Turing test has been a key element in AI theory for decades, but it's always nice to see a sci-fi film that (seems to) have done its homework. Smile

And I kinda wanna complain about the endless Norway plugs, but you guys have such beautiful fjords. Very Happy Almost as pretty a country as New Zealand. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 am

!!!

Careful with that kind of talk, the Fjordians are very strong of late, even if Norc is not around so much.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I guess even I live by a fjord. Not one of the very beautiful ones mind, though I guess it's alright.

Future releases [2] - Page 21 4004951179_a531c5ed41_z

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next