halfwise
David H
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
24 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by David H Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That's putting it kindly.- David

There is a lot wrong with the Bakshi version, but it does in my opinion get some scripting issues better than PJ.
I can accept the Bakshi LotR if I think of it as nothing more than an early draft script that has been crudely story-boarded.  If that's all it were, there would be a lot I could actually admire. If it had been an underground bootleg film, I'd have gone to great lengths to get a copy.

But to release it to the theaters in that condition, and to charge us  all full ticket price, only to assault us with a full-screen pile of half-assed editing with no thought at all to pacing and no ending Shocked .... that decision should be considered a Capital Crime against all lovers of Tolkien!Evil or Very Mad   
And if the culprit is ever apprehended, I personally volunteer to lead the firing squad at dawn. Twisted Evil
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Norc Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 am

i am happy with just "there is a lot wrong with the Bakshi version"... when they run and Legolas looks like a retard and aragorn stumbles and falls over his sword and gimli has no hair and is a whiney bastard ... Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 am

I have yet to see this movie!
I think I shall content myself with the dubbed version, after all this contention on here.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 am

Mrs Figg wrote:they werent idiots
Merry wasn't, he was mischievous as you say. Pippin, however, was made out to be a moron. I imagine that was so that his plan to involve the Ents in the war would seem that much more of a Eureka moment
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:50 am

Merry wasnt exactly bright either in the films- he didnt organise things at the start, or head the conspiracy, he doesnt study maps at Rivendell, he seems as clueless as Pippin when they escape into the Old Forest.
We see none of his love of history, or how delighted he is when he discovers links between the Rohirim and hobbits.
I find it impossible to envision PJ's Merry going on to write comparative treatise on language and culture. he is not portrayed as that type of person at all.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 am

That is exactly my problem with their portrayal in the films as well. Pippin was used for a bit of light relief even in the books. Merry on the other hand was described as the clearly most competent of the hobbits. Having been to the Old Forest on his own and knowing of hobbits travelling to Bree. He's pretty much the one of the Hobbits who knew much of the world outside the Shire.

All that gave his character certain weight in the books, which he completely lacked in Jacksons films where he comes across as Pippin Mark 2.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:08 am

beg to differ. Merry and Pippin however slightly different to the books, are still believable sympathetic characters people enjoy to watch and care for. They have some fantastic scenes, and I thoroughly enjoyed both actors portrayals, specially Pippins Song. That was a gorgeous moment. I love you 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 am

Well, they are not mutually exclusive of course. One can like both.

I would say the movie missed a chance for some depth by not giving Merry more of a founding. Peter Jackson obviously wanted them as a comedy double act and that undeniably brought a certain warmth to the movie. Though I don't see why they couldn't give Merry a slightly larger role while keeping the qualities you admire.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 am

Lancebloke wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:they werent idiots
Merry wasn't, he was mischievous as you say. Pippin, however, was made out to be a moron. I imagine that was so that his plan to involve the Ents in the war would seem that much more of a Eureka moment
That came out of absolutely nowhere (other than the script).
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:06 am

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 am

Radaghast wrote:That came out of absolutely nowhere (other than the script).
Pettytyrant101 wrote:... being thieves, oh and idiots.
Raddy - That is where that conversation came from. Petty being Petty (with a typical Figgy response).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 am

lol! At the vid.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 am

Sorry, Lance, I should have been more clear; I was referring to your statement about Pippin's "eureka" moment. That's what I was saying came from nowhere. Pippin is a buffoon up till then,when he suddenly knows more about Saruman's plans than Treebeard does, when there's no way he could have gotten that information or even the right direction to go.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:lol! At the vid.
I haven't watched it yet but I love that series of vids. Have you seen the one for THAUJ?
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 am

Damn, I was wondering if the Cinema Sins would go after LOTR since they did a great video about AUJ. That was pretty good. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 am

Yeah Rhaddy, I saw it, its excellent too. Laughing

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:37 am

That reminds me, has anyone seen this?

Apologies if this has been posted already.

Last edited by Radaghast on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 am

But I look at it differently (or typically. Lance Suspect ), Pippin's eureka moment didnt just come from nowhere. Pippin was being Tookish, it woke up inside him, up to then the two Hobbits had been little more than baggage, carried about by the Others and then the orcs. That harsh experience woke them up, and Pippins natural Hobbit sense,( as regards the condensation of the timeline in the film) started to gear into action. Thats how I look at it anyway. It was all part of his development, culminating in him telling Eowyn he wished to fight in her tent.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:40 am

But how would he have known where to go? The hobbits were hopelessly lost or supposed to be. How could Treebeard have know less than Pippin did? He was supposed to be the guardian of the forest.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

In the book the Hobbits and the Ents had a long drawn out Moot, I seem to remember the two Hobbits were essential for the Ents deciding to go to war, without them they probably wouldnt Thats if I remember correctly. In the film I also remember that Pippin realized what to do and it seemed quite logical, I cant remember why he decided on the direction but it was because of something he knew, rather than just a whim. So I cant remember the details but it seemed legit at the time.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 am

I don't think the hobbits were essential, though their presence and news helped the Ents decide and speed along their course of action. And there was no chance they would do nothing about Saruman.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

I think we are half and half Figgy. The whole 'there won't be a shire' speech is what seemed to snap him out of his dumbassness to me. But before that he was still a dumbass... example being the apples thrown to him by Aragorn. Not that that makes me dislike them. It's just different and I would have liked to see the 'proper' characters too.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Tinuviel wrote:
Ha! I wonder if this one will generate as much butthurt as the Hobbit video did.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 pm

well I guess they were trying to show, in a very short time, due to the length of the films, that the two Hobbits were innocents abroad, they had never travelled outside the safety of the Shire, they were naive, a bit silly and immature, but gradually gained strength and courage. But it was gentle humour, nothing like the unsubtlety of AUJ
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Lucky they didn't try to cross the Aussie border then. They would have had a $220 fine and a trip home with all those mushroom and vegetables!

Ignorance is no excuse!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next