halfwise
David H
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Radaghast
24 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] Empty Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm

I don't clearly recall how PJ did the tracking of Merry & Pippin, but as far as utilizing time, I don't think Bakshi did a good job of that. I don't find that his film was very well-paced.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm

No the Bakshi film is not well paced, its far too rushed in most places, though not all (he spends more time in Bree than PJ does for example) and the TT section is a mess as far as pacing and storytelling is concerned.

But at least Bakshi treats Gimli with respect throughout and doesnt turn him into a comedy dwarf clown.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:10 pm

yeah he turns Boromir into a comedy Viking. Legolas into a comedy Larry Greyson and Elrond into a comedy Charles Bronson.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:15 pm

The viking gear is weird- no argument there- never said otherwise- the voice actor is excellent however and not comedy at all- and is the same actor who plays Boromir in the BBC radio version where he is likewise superb and doesnt have to dress like a viking (although its radio so you can always imagine he is if you really want to)

I dont think the Legolas is perfect, but even as a cartoon he still displays more genuine emotion than Bloom ever manages to muster in his plank of wood performance.

I actually dont mind the physical look of Elrond, and there some excellent animation/rotoscoping I always like when you get the close up of him speaking.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 pm

but he's not Elven
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:23 pm

How do you know, his hair covers his ears? And it is, as in the book, quite tricky to put a definite age on how he looks.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I'll take a serious Aragorn stumbling through weariness over a comedy Gimli rolling down a hill any day.
Nobody rolls a dwarf!
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:No the Bakshi film is not well paced, its far too rushed in most places, though not all (he spends more time in Bree than PJ does for example) and the TT section is a mess as far as pacing and storytelling is concerned.
Yeah, rushed in places and protracted in others.

But at least Bakshi treats Gimli with respect throughout and doesnt turn him into a comedy dwarf clown.
He was a bit too tall, though.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

If memory serves the height are not exactly consistent throughout the Bakshi film.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

That's putting it kindly. Rolling Eyes 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I've decided I'm gonna pursue David with off topic posts until I intimidate him into admitting how he posted an umlaut using what I have to assume is an american keyboard.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm

öö! I figüred it öüt! (ökäÿ, thë wëb hëlpëd).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Thumbs Up 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:05 pm

I use the web too. Easier than Character Map (PC) or Special Characters (Mac).

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [3] WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 pm

That's putting it kindly.- David

There is a lot wrong with the Bakshi version, but it does in my opinion get some scripting issues better than PJ.
For example neither film has the time for the Crickhollow section, but Bakhsi's plays out the basic elements of a Conspiracy Unmasked on the road side following the Black Rider encounter.

Its a good place for it, the preceding highlighting of the Ring in the Rider scene and the freshness of the sense of danger makes Merry and Pippin's revelations that they know about the Ring, that they are terrified, but they are going to go with Frodo anyway whether he likes it or not very heartfelt.

Its a good decision if you are gong to dump the Crickhollow section.
It gives Merry and Pippin definite characters, it shows their enterprise and intelligence, how much they care for Frodo and it explains why they are going with him.

PJ's has no comparable scene and in my view suffers from that, especially regards the characters of Merry and Pippin.

I would trade PJ the conspiracy scene for vegetable stealing, jokes about nearly falling face first into horse shit and a cheap reference to a chapter heading any day which is what PJ wastes his time on his version of that section.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 pm

Radaghast wrote:I use the web too. Easier than Character Map (PC) or Special Characters (Mac).
I meant the web provided instructions for how to get the umlaut.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm

''PJ's has no comparable scene and in my view suffers from that, especially regards the characters of Merry and Pippin''. Petty

at least I can bear looking at PJ's Merry and Pippin
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 pm

I can put up with the look if the characters and the story are there- I am more interested in how it was scripted than I am in what the animators did with the script. Pj's might look better but his depiction of Merry and Pippin is awful and bears little to no relationship with the book characters.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:34 pm

thats where you are wrong. Merry and Pippin are pretty perfect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 pm

halfwise wrote:
Radaghast wrote:I use the web too. Easier than Character Map (PC) or Special Characters (Mac).
I meant the web provided instructions for how to get the umlaut.
Oh.

I usually just Google or Wiki it Very Happy
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:thats where you are wrong. Merry and Pippin are pretty perfect
Perfectly unlike their book counterparts Very Happy
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:38 pm

obviously Rolling Eyes 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm

And thus not much use at all Evil or Very Mad 
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Yeah I can see the heirs of the Tooks and the Brandybucks, the two most important families running  two of the most important parts of the Shire being thieves, oh and idiots. its just like they are in the book Rolling Eyes

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:19 am

they werent idiots, they were Young, mischievous and fun to be around like in the books.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next