azriel
Tinuviel
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumshire: The First Five Years

Post by malickfan Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 am

Yeah I know your views on Yates (to be fair the last three books always felt kinda flabby and different anyway-it might be writers block or the influence of the films, but at times it feels like Rowling's writing a different series, and why did she turn Ron into such a A-Hole...) and feel the same about the books, although some of the plot holes made me cringe even a kid, they are books I often turn back to just for fun.

Personally I wouldn't want another Potter book, maybe a short story or two (maybe for charity), but I'd definitely be interested if she decided to do her long mooted Encyclopedia on the wizarding world. Not sure about the Fantastic Beasts film either, seems kinda desperate...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Empty Re: Forumshire: The First Five Years

Post by Eldorion Wed May 07, 2014 2:02 am

malickfan wrote:(This is kinda sad) I grew up with the Harry Potter films, even though I wasn't a big fan of them (preferred the books) I was actually quite depressed for a week after DH2 came out, it was kinda like saying goodbye to my childhood,it just felt really weird to know that was it.

I felt the same way about DH2, though it took me two viewings for it to really sink in. The first time I saw it I was actually on vacation, it was at a midnight screening, and I was riding high with all that. The second time, I went with my mom (who used to read the books to me and my brother when we couldn't agree on who would get to read a new release first Laughing) and when we got home I was just crushed. It was a really emotional experience for me as HP was one of the most significant experiences of my childhood, and it had lasted so long it seemed like it would never end. Even after the last book, I knew there would be more movies and I was still expecting an encyclopedia in a year or two at most. Razz I dunno if she'll ever write one now (it seems like she wants/wanted Pottermore to take on that role instead). I'll definitely be there opening weekend for the Fantastic Beasts movie, assuming that actually happens, but it won't be a real HP movie. Just a spin-off. Like, I got the Beedle the Bard book when it came out a year or so after DH, but it wasn't a real HP book and didn't give me the same feeling.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 07, 2014 4:45 am

Eldorion wrote:I've been following these movies since 2008, so I'm definitely going to see it through to the end. It's a lot of fun to write a big crabbit review and to discuss it with others, too. Nod Plus, after this, we might not have any more Middle-earth movies in our lifetimes. Who knows if any future ones would be good (and hell, they'll undoubtedly reboot it sooner or later), but since I was so young when LOTR came out this is my only chance to experience the release cycle for myself.

I will only see TBOTFA if I can get in for free. I would like to participate in the discussion and I had fun writing my review and reading all of your reviews last year. But I don't want to give Jackson any more of my money.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed May 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I remember finishing DH2 (the book) and feeling a kind of mourning for it. I know it sounds silly but I found the books incredibly involving, it felt like losing friends

Doesn't sound silly at all Very Happy After I had read the last page of book 7 I felt like I had lost something important to me. I'd been following the series since I was 9 or 10, maybe younger, and suddenly it was all over. It was a bittersweet thing, reading the last pages of TDH.

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I will only see TBOTFA if I can get in for free. I would like to participate in the discussion and I had fun writing my review and reading all of your reviews last year. But I don't want to give Jackson any more of my money.

I paid to see Star Trek Into Darkness last year, so I've clearly left behind financial protests and/or self respect by this point. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 pm

I didn't pay to see it. I watched a bootleg camera recording. So glad I didn't go to the theater.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm

I was actually a little hopeful since I enjoyed ST '09, but I will definitely be sitting out the next one. If there is a next one; Abrams certainly dragged his feet on STID ... though I doubt he'll direct ST again now that he's got the Star Wars gig.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah with Star Wars on the table he probably won't be doing one. Maybe one of the writers of Into Darkness would like to take a stab at directing. Wink

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Bing gives away Fandago gift certificates in their rewards program. So, I might earn a couple of those and see BOFA for free. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 pm

I dont understand why they dont get Nicholas Meyer back to write ST.
He is responsible for the three best original films- Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home and the Undiscovered Country.

He knows these characters inside out and I am sure would jump at the chance to write them as young and starting out, and would do so in a meaningful way which the ST reboots have not been at all.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Probably cause Paramount wants something more like Star Wars.

Although, honestly ... I've seen The Wrath of Khan and I didn't care for it very much. Granted, this was over three years ago, but I just wasn't impressed or engaged. I've heard that TOS is where it really shines and the movies were always a sideshow, which would certainly explain a lot, because if that's the best of the movies ... yikes. pale
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 07, 2014 8:46 pm

You might have been too young to appreciate ST" Eldo, I was when I first saw it.
Its subject matter is not for the young, being as it is about ageing and coming to terms with your greatest days seemingly being behind you.
There is an excellent study of the ageing process.
Kirk is presented with two things he cant do anything about- his personal Kobayashi Maru (no win scenario) -age and his son.
Its usually wrongly presented as an action film, and I think watching it with this mind set will not bring out the best in it, its actually quite a subtle slow paced story about the larger issues.

And yes, the TV series is where it was really at.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

I recall reading an analysis of Wrath of Khan, quite possibly something you wrote on here, that did make me sort of want to give it another try. I've also been watching bits and pieces of ST:TNG with my dad and I've rather enjoyed that. It's much more memorable than any of the ST movies I've seen, despite having its cornball moments.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Montalban was the best part of that movie.

And yes, I am aware that it's basically lifted from Moby Dick. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 pm

That reviewer Confused Matthew has an excellent three part review and break down of Wrath of Khan I heartedly recommend and which I entirely agree with.

http://confusedmatthew.com/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan.html

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 08, 2014 1:01 am

was he wearing fake boobs?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 08, 2014 1:43 am

I think that question is in the same class as "who is Tom Bombadil?".

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 pm

but back to more important issues: WHEN IS THE NEXT INSTALMENT OF HISTORY OF FORUMSHIRE COMING OUT??!!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:19 pm

bounce 

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Sofa 
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 pm

C'mon Eldo, you cant wuss out now  Very Happy 

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:24 pm

bounce bounce bounce

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Just watch me. Moon
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Crying or Very sad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:20 am

Just kidding Very Happy but hey, dont keep us in suspenders forever ?
Write the Goddam history !
{{{ love you really }}}
Cheerleader

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Forumshire: The First Five Years - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next