Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
leelee
19 posters

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

CUISINE - Page 21 Empty Re: CUISINE

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:49 pm

You seem to have a very interesting family Forest! And Ethiopia's place in history is too often overlooked. A historic book from there is a mystical treasure.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:24 pm

God help us all.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chicken-fried-bacon-bacon-fried-172157067.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 am

Don't mind if I do!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:10 pm

This would fit as well in science or history, but very fascinating. I never knew!

https://medium.com/a-microbiome-scientist-at-large/why-cant-i-find-wild-broccoli-130c74c8a31d

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm

That was very interesting, I never thought about the origins of Broccoli before, In fact I never think about any fruit or veg, I just stuff it in & eat it Smile The only time I show interested is when a new fruit turns up & is being flogged at a local supermarket, often with claims of being the next super food that will cure everything Smile

CUISINE - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

CUISINE - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:47 pm

This is such a smart way to describe a healthy and simple recipe.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/six-days-ive-got-life-110000173.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 am

Netflix: ugly delicious. Hosted by David Chang. Some of the most enjoyable food doc I've seen, and I watch a lot. the first episode was about pizza (they referenced that Norwegians eat more pizza per capita than anywhere else) and now I'm about to dig into tacos.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:59 pm

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:50 pm

CUISINE - Page 21 Beans10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:26 pm

So I'm trying to cultivate a natural sourdough starter: don't put in a packet of yeast, just leave it open for a few hours then let it do it's thing.

I started mine a week ago. It sort of has the right smell and some bubble action, but it's not puffing up - you know, doing what I've hired the little buggers to do!

I've tried moving it to a warmer place, feeding it more often, giving it a shot of whole wheat. Nothing seems to work. Even yelling at it doesn't motivate the damn thing. Maybe my mix is too watery?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Smile sounds like you are looking after a very sick kitten or a bird that the cat brought in. Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 pm

The online advice is along the lines of 'asking "why won't my starter rise?" is like asking "why won't my 2-year old go to sleep?"'. You've just got to keep feeding it and keeping it warm and eventually it will grow up and start behaving itself.

But my plans were to start baking bread this weekend. I think I'll make a small loaf, let it rise overnight. Maybe that extra environment of a firm dough and additives will wake it up. If not I'll just use it to keep feeding my starter.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 am

So I finally made my bread.  It turns out the missing ingredient was temperature: I only needed to get it a few degrees warmer and my starter started frothing just as hoped.

I was stubbornly set on making pure whole wheat (have to use King Arthur flour for this!) so mixed up my dough and let it rise overnight.  It definitely doubled!  

Then my lack of experience and stubborness caught up with me.  You see, I knew I had kneaded in plenty of flour for a dry dough.  So when I took it out for the final shaping I had no intention of adding more flour.  But biology 101: when carbohydrates are consumed (which is what the yeast was doing) the result is not only CO2 to make the bubbles, but water.  

The dough was wet and thorougly annoying to work with.  My original plan was to shove it straight into the oven because it had been rising all night, why ruin it by working in more flour and knocking down the dough?  I had the stuff all over my finger and bowl, and grudgingly put in some flour just so I could handle it, but was too impatient to wait another 2 hours to let it rise again.  It had been rising all night, for chrissake!

So I stuck it in the oven as is.  I thought the heat would make the bubbles expand and it would rise more, but the loaf knew it had been maltreated and refused to budge.

From the picture it looks okay, but it was rather dense.

CUISINE - Page 21 Bread10

Also very sour - the natural bacteria I think overwhelms the yeast from this technique.  But I put on some of my chickpea spread, and that and a glass of wine made a very passable dinner.  the sourdough starter is in the background.

CUISINE - Page 21 Bread_10

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:45 am

{{ Well it certainly looks the part Halfy, making me hungry! Mad }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:51 pm

I've got a second trial loaf doing it's level best to rise. This time I learned my lesson and greased the bowl it's in.

I just noticed way up at the top of this thread, Ringo classed tacos as junk food.

I protest.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:09 pm

I really admire people who experiment and cook new stuff. Baking bread smells so good.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:43 pm

halfwise wrote:So I'm trying to cultivate a natural sourdough starter: don't put in a packet of yeast, just leave it open for a few hours then let it do it's thing.

FWIW I'm told by the family experts that one of the secrets to a good sourdough is handling the dough with clean, but not TOO clean bare hands. The theory is that the natural yeasts that live symbiotically on human bodies are an important part of the process, and if you take the human element away you'll end up with other less helpful yeasts from other critters. Same theory as stamping grapes with bare feet.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm

Hmm...the dough gets handled by hands, but nobody wants to handle starter - gooey gloppy mess. How are hands supposed to get in that?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:21 pm

This might help ?  
When I used to live in a house, ( not my flat I have now )  that had an airing cupboard it was fun to make bread. The cupboard was always warm because it housed the boiler. When I put the dough in a bowl I used to drape a damp cloth over the dough then popped it in the airing cupboard, it helps it. Its such sticky stuff & you cant abuse it enough ( kneading ) but when its cooked & comes out the oven with that gorgeous smell and that first slice of soft bread puts a big smile on your face, nothing like it ! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm

An admirable effort Halfy. Keep at it! I've never messed around with sourdough myself, but I know it's very popular amongst certain of the health freaks around here. Smile

I think tacos can be junk food if they come from a freezer package, or Taco Bell. But regular tacos are healthy and delicious. My girlfriend made these shrimp tacos that were delicious. She sauteed the shrimp with spices and garlic and onion, made a yogurt-based cabbage dill kind of slaw, and served them up together in those little corn tortillas. It was quite good.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:02 pm

She's got some creativity.

Az - I think I have to shift away from pure whole wheat, and buy some good bread flour. And I need a warm cabinet. I think a heating pad may be the way to go.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 pm

This is cute, simple yet pleasantly involved in crafty rolling and folding. Shanghai-style scallion pancakes: a daughter calls up her mother to talk her through it.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-zakbrgsUZ/?utm_source=ig_embed

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 pm

They look tasty Very Happy & seem simple to do. tho I hate cooking I love eating !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm

What is it with Brits naming food after unappealing body parts? I just read the "bacon butty" was the most popular sandwich. Match that with spotted dick. And the sandwich itself is nothing to write home about. At least here we add lettuce and tomato with mayo and call it the nicely descriptive BLT.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum