Ringdrotten
leelee
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
Norc
24 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 6 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [4]

Post by Norc Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:43 pm

we're told to use times new roman, but it's easier to read arial or cambria on the computer than times.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 6 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [4]

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:09 pm

halfwise wrote:Ah.  Use whatever type face floats your boat.  If a computer doesn't have it, it will go to a default in most cases.  Times New Roman, Arial and Courier are on most computers.

As for rich text, okay let me tell ya.  The way most word processors work is they have hidden keywords that tell the processor to make an indent, italics, or any other type of formatting.

The original computer codes had 128 characters (binary) which included all versions of the alphabet cases and numbers, extra characters, and some basic formatting characters. This is called ascii code,  you can see the table here: http://www.asciitable.com/   An ascii document is just a string of binary numbers representing what you write plus formats, and can be read by anything.

preceding the advent of MS Word, Microsoft developed rich text, which uses tags rather like what you use to format the messages in this forum (bbcode) where you might use "(b) say sumt'in (/b)" to make something bold (though I used () instead of [] to make it appear)

So if you import a rich text document into an ascii text editor that doesn't have rich text (such as notepad) you might see these tags.  Same with an html file that also uses tags, in fact I use text editors when I make webpages so I can see what I'm doing.

MS Word and the equivalent use an even more complicated system that can't be read in text editors, since the characters go beyond the ascii code.
you lost me after ''let me tell ya'' but i appreciate the thought. What a Face 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 pm

It's all written in a secret code of numbers. I gave you the translation table for the simplest code called ascii to translate numbers to letters, spaces, line breaks, etc.

Something more complicated than wordpad embeds another code on top of the original simple one in order to do things like tables, italics, etc.

Any word processing program should be able to read the simple code, but they each have their own way of embedding extra code, which is why they can be incompatible. That's all you need to know.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm

ok pale 

now all I have to do is write a 15,000 word thesis. I am doing it on the influence of the Pre-raphaelites in Italian pottery of the 19th century with special reference to Galileo Chini (cool guy).
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:39 pm

15,000 words- or as its known around here- a days posting on Forumshire Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Don't use wordpad!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Shocked  even I know that would be doomed to failure.

Wink 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:17 pm

um another techy question. I dont know which thing to save my documents in, there are loads to choose from and some of them look very similar. scratch 

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 6 DSC01349_zpsc6672066
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:29 pm

the one that you've already chosen i think u should pick Smile i always pick the latest update of the software, but seeing the 2003 is the open office which u had problems with, go with the one already marked Smile microsoft word 97/2000 Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:24 pm

ok thanks. its a bit confusing if some of them are similar.

What is Java for? I know when I downloaded Openoffice it asked me to install Java, but I dont know what it does, I guess it just enables stuff.

I meant to ask Petty about the green screen thing, can you eventually use the background from a video or film, or does it have to be a static picture.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:34 pm

The green screen can be replaced with anything- static image or moving one- the most common place its used is tv news, usually those screens and walls of images behind them are just on green screen, same goes for weather maps on tv weather (making that job a bit weird as the forecaster is juts pointing at a green screen and has to look in a monitor to see what the viewer is seeing.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:42 pm

so could you take an existing film like LOTR and take one of the landscape/panoramic sequences and get someone superimposed on it? Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:47 pm

That is what PJ does Figgy. Lots of green screens behind orlando while he stands on a shield. The rest is in the green screen.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Yes Figg, sort of, would look odd though, you'd need to match up lightening and stuff or they'd stand out like you'd just photoshopped them ontop.

But in theory yes I could put someone against a moving backdrop from the film.

As Lance says its not any different really from how they made them.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:50 pm

The colour grading and lighting is often added after it has all been out together too. Much like what you do with the pictures Figgy... can add light or take down colours tones after.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:34 pm

thats pretty Amazing, so whats stopping us make our own Hobbit using the backgrounds of the various films. eh? Wink 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:06 pm

halfwise wrote:
As for Open Office, it's great.  But I wish somebody would take Excel and convert it into a mathematical analysis package rather than a crap clerical package.
Thumbs Up 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:11 pm

We could make a very poor version (aesthetically). The use software and hardware that costs millions!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Mrs Figg wrote: I am doing it on the influence of the Pre-raphaelites in Italian pottery of the 19th century with special reference to Galileo Chini (cool guy).
A goose quill might be more appropriate. Nod 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:34 pm

it would be easier to find a location though..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:10 pm

to any Openoffice experts, can you take an image from Google say and transplant it onto the word type document thing. I want to make a letterheading using an image.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Shrugging 

Like most people my age I only use the internet to watch youtube and moan about things...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:28 pm

David H wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote: I am doing it on the influence of the Pre-raphaelites in Italian pottery of the 19th century with special reference to Galileo Chini (cool guy).
A goose quill might be more appropriate. Nod 
I would but they run faster than me. Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:38 pm

can you take an image from Google say and transplant it onto the word type document thing.- Mrs Figg

Yes, probably.....Here to Help! Very Happy 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Suspect 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next