Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
17 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [7] - Page 26 Empty Re: Doctor Who [7]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:56 pm

No,the clue is in the name- he is called he Doctor. He helps. He doesnt commit genocide- its frankly never sat well with me and I am glad Moffat found away to reset it that did not reduce the integrity to the characters of what they had suffered or what has gone before. I thought that was exceptionally clever writing.

And the future of Who is clear- its restored to where it was when it began, with the simple tale of the Doctor who ran away to see the universe because he wanted to be involved. There is no reason now why it can go on another 50 years, it did the first time after all with this simple premise.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:No,the clue is in the name- he is called he Doctor. He helps. He doesnt commit genocide- its frankly never sat well with me and I am glad Moffat found away to reset it that did not reduce the integrity to the characters of what they had suffered or what has gone before. I thought that was exceptionally clever writing.
Doctor Who [7] - Page 26 Genesis_diIhavetherightw

"Have I the right?"

Wink 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Precisely- he didnt then and he knew it and didnt do it, and he still doesnt have that right now (incidentally according to RTD that was the first hostile action of the Time War- the Time Lords sending the Doctor to destroy the Daleks at inception- thats what started it)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes, I agree.

Also I think it will be good for the series to get away from "the most important/famous being in the universe" a bit. And one can get back to stories where the Doctor is a bit more the incidentiary character. Not the one everything revolves around.

I actually found the old series view of him as a bit of a space vagrant rather appealing.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Poor old David Tennant, reduced to a pale caricature of his past self. What diabolical dialogue he has.

Actually saying the Doctor 'helps' and 'doesnt commit genocide' (ie Moffat has defaced the Doctor because he ran out of ideas), sounds remarkably like those people on TORn that say the Hobbit book was crappy anyway, so good on old Pete for modernizing it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

Half an hour of Who based comedy gold. Laughing 
Norc wrote:omg, it was so sweet ^^

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-24/peter-davison-colin-baker-and-sylvester-mccoy-unite-for-doctor-who-spoof-the-fiveish-doctors
I'm loving it. Very Happy 

The New Zealand stuff is brilliant. Laughing 

Oh, and the reuse of the Shada fotage and Tom being stuck in the Time Warp again. I guess that was the most poignant way of including him. Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:57 pm

This is nothing like the differences between TH book and film Figgs- The show has lasted 50 years- out of those only NuWho has had the angsty everyone knows who he is God Doctor- that 8years out of the 50- its NuWho thats the anomaly here and this resets it back to the original formula- which is what Moffat has been doing bit by bit since he took over.

I am all for it- its what made the show great, it was never going to run for 50 more years as it was, it was already beginning to suffer under the weight of its own continuity.

As to the dialogue I loved every word of it, it was at turns funny, poignant and poked fun at itself. A joy to listen to and superbly delivered by all concerned- the scene in the cell between the three of them is got to be up there with my all time favourite Who scenes.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:02 pm

that was the most boring bit. It dragged on forever with little purpose other than chin jokes and lame screwdriver stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:04 pm

If you missed the point of the scene in the cell Mrs Figg then there is not much I can say! Because it has tons to say about the Doctor, who he is, who he has become and why.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I dont miss any points I just thought it was weak. I was expecting something awesome, the best episode ever but it didnt happen. Just lazy writing at the end of its run.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Well I suppose somebody had to not like it Mrs Figg - just why am I not surprised it was you Rolling Eyes

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:55 pm

{{{{This is what crabbit looks like from the other side, Petty Nod }}}}
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:00 pm

{{{ Smile  }}}

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:02 pm

David H wrote:{{{{This is what crabbit looks like from the other side, Petty Nod }}}}

Doctor Who [7] - Page 26 Mswerd Laughing

Doctor Who [7] - Page 26 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:02 pm

{{{{Crabbit is a reasoned discipline David, based on facts, information and buckie, not some emotional sort of thing at all Mad  }}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Press round up-

The Guardian- "we weren't disappointed....it was worth it for the triplet of Doctors.....Beautiful acting....it was all worth the wait."

Huffington Post- "he successfully managed to do was provide us with a ripping yarn in its own right, while doffing his cap to the fifty years of the Time Lord that had gone before, with enough half-century in-jokes - Bad Wolf, anyone? - to please the most demanding of the millions of fans.......The flirty banter between the three doctors was on top form... but none of this undercut the moving nature of the Doctors' dawning, horrible realisation of how they have been shaped by a horrible history...the culmination of a drawn out creative achievement on a scale as epic in the planning as in the mischievous, moving, masterful results...not bad for a children's program."

Den of Geek- "Steven Moffat promised us a story that would change the Doctor forever. And that's pretty much what we got....It felt like a real treat, a gift to Who fandom, but more importantly, a strong episode in its own right.....yet for such an enjoyable, pacey, funny episode, The Day Of The Doctor started dark....it's an strong, ambitious episode of Doctor Who. The Day Of The Doctor really was, even with one or two really minor quibbles, terrific."

IGN- "there can’t be a single fan that wasn’t completely satisfied and fulfilled as the credits rolled......hilarious plot turns and a story that paid tribute to every element that makes Doctor Who such a brilliant show....this was a truly triumphant anniversary.....fittingly for the 50th anniversary, it was all gold."

The Independent- "If fans were calling for a Doctor Who film then this is it.....this hit the spot for fans. It satisfies the needs of the fans and feeds their hunger, as well as consolidating some of the show’s mythology.....Watching the tenth and the eleventh Doctor on screen was rather marvellous and what we’ve all been waiting for....Overall it is 75 minutes of crazy, fantastical Doctor Who and a fitting tribute for fans."

The Mirror- "Where to start? Should we talk about how fifty years of TV gold were celebrated? Should we talk about a great story that tied together the so-called ‘classic’ series with the new one?.... There were superb performances all round....Tonight, we got to see all sides of the Doctor. He was the embittered, angry warrior. He was the hero who swans off and saves the universe with a smile. He was the man who wanted to forget everything he’s seen..."

The Scotsman- "After 50 years, Doctor Who is so embedded into British culture that we all feel a sense of ownership: pleasing everyone is impossible. But with a combination of silly jokes, frantic babble, nods to the fans and, at its heart, a story about facing our own past regrets, this was an episode that will keep people talking until at least the 60th Anniversary."

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm with partially with Petty on this, a reset button, great episode and tribute to the past all in one. I did think the Zygones were sorted wasted, the opening was clunky and the Elizabeth Marriage was too sudden-all issues that could have been fixed with another 15 minutes Evil or Very Mad 

Love they brought back Gallifrey!!!-I was introduced to Who via the reboot but even to me the Time War was a rather vague and overblown excuse for bad writing on Davies Part-and since watching old who (nearly finished on Hartnell) it doesn't really seem in the spirit of the show to me.

I'm not going to lie it was not a masterpiece,and I'm kinda pissed more of the classic who cast couldn't appear but a really enjoyable ep nonetheless but far too short!!!
7.5/10.

Having seen just two seconds of Capaldi's Eyebrows I think I will have a new favourite...

Still thank god 'Rose' wasn't in it! Very Happy 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 pm

sheep. Just like the sheep that like Peter Jackson.
BAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

edit oooh we are doing press quotes are we? well ok,

The Telegraph
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor was camp old nonsense
John Hurt as the Doctor did not convince. The poor old darling looked confused and shell shocked throughout, like an OAP whose bus trip to the shops has been interrupted by a hijacking. Think of what Hurt's been through for his art: impregnated by an alien, given the face of an elephant and now forced to say "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" with a straight face. He occasionally told the other two doctors to stop monkeying around, which was meant to be funny but probably reflected the mood of the audience. David Tennant and Matt Smith are very annoying. Tennant acts with his eyes and nose, staring and flairing wildly at everything that moves. Smith likes to jump about as if he was high of life – the kind of idiot who would earnestly tell people, "I'm mad, me!" Both play the time lord as an overgrown child, which makes the moments of seriousness about the death of Gallifrey quite unbelievable.
Yes, it's always energy, energy, energy with New Who – lots of running around and shouting "Geronimo" and wearing daft hats. It's not enough to let the plot and genuinely smart dialogue speak for themselves: the actors seem to shout at the audience "Are you have a good time?! Well, ARE YOU?!" The result is confusing and alienating. It might've helped if John Hurt had a blown a whistle, Matt Smith had taken some Ritalin and a mature adult could explain to us what the Hell was going on.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Or I'm someone with an honest opinion.

I don't actually like Matt Smith very much as the doctor, and I'm not a massive fan of Moffat's tenure as showrunner (still better than Russel Davies he would probably turn the doctor into Jesus or something), so I didn't care much either way if the ep was good or not-Doctor Who has and always will be a mixed bag.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{{Crabbit is a reasoned discipline David, based on facts, information and buckie, not some emotional sort of thing at all Mad  }}}}}
{{{nope u r wrong}}}}
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:18 pm

edit oooh we are doing press quotes are we? well ok,- Mrs Figg

If you'd care to look back over my episode reviews going all the way back to series 5 Mrs Figg you will see after each one I include a press round up- strangely enough not all my posts are about you! {{just most of them!}}

{{{{I know my crabbit Norc- its a hard won discipline- anything else is just being angry which I continually point out is not what crabbit is at all!}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:50 pm

and I am contractually obliged to disagree with you on all points. Just doing my job. Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I appreciate it. Honestly I do, where would I be without your crabbit provoking powers?!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:57 pm

I sat on my dongle and broke it. Mad  luckily I have another one. cheers 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Petty, I loved your review! Just finished reading all of it Very Happy 
It's brilliant having such a report until the Day of the Doctor DVD is finally in my hands - cause until then I'll probably forget many things which I've seen in the cinema on Saturday Wink 

Talking of quotes: I loved it when both 10 and 11 tried unsuccessfully to "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" Razz 

It might've helped if John Hurt had a blown a whistle, Matt Smith had taken some Ritalin and a mature adult could explain to us what the Hell was going on.
"What's wrong with being childish? I like being childish." - the Third Doctor

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next