Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
17 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [7] - Page 2 Empty Re: Doctor Who [7]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I think the reason for the gay angelican fat/thin line is one its meant to be humourous (always going to be subjective as to if you find it funny or not, I did, and thought it was one of those line that comes from Moffat at times that shows a clear link to his sitcom writing days) and secondly its part of that episodes overall piss taking of religious organizations- its goes along with the Papal Computer, that's referred to as female, or that there is no longer any difference between a priest and a man with a gun, to the less subtle  highlighting of how faith cannot exist alongside reason by having the monks quite literally without a head, and so no means to reason. They are literal blind faith.
So that particular line for me is part of the whole.

Where I do agree with Amarie is that their inclusion at all was solely bring a plot point to the viewers attention, after which neither were further needed or seen again.
But my one constant complaint of all Nuwho compared to classic is stories are too short and dont get the time they often need or deserve to breath or flesh out some of these characters.
45 minutes is just not long enough often to tell complex stories and unravel complex characters to the viewer.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:24 pm

there may or may not be a Gay agenda in the RTD years but it never feels like its flagged up as such, its not as in your face as the gay fat/thin soldiers episode, which I found deeply unfunny. I like characters like Sarah Jane and I think she is so popular because she doesnt have any trendy label attached to her, shes just herself, an ordinary person thrust into a weird and wonderful world. If everyone is made to be super fascinating and different people dont identify as much with them, Assistants that are too aspirational dont work in my opinion, Assistants should be ordinary folk trying to fathom out how to cope being suddenly taken on bizarre adventures. In Torchwood for example the aspirational character is Jack, the others are ordinary humans I think thats why he doesnt appear too many times in Dr Who episodes, it wouldnt work to have Jack upstage the Doctor, therefore I am not keen on the Doctor being surrounded by assistants with super powers like the Potato Head warrior, Madam Lizard, and the worst offender, River. It dilutes him somewhat.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

I see entirely what you are saying Mrs Figg, and I dont disagree.
The ordinary person companion plus Doctor is probably the best combination.
But it cant be the only one or the show grows stale and dies.
If you look back over his companions, alongside Sarah Jane, you will find an andriod, several Aliens, a fellow Time Lord, a robotic dog, an alien boy genius, people from the distant future, an alien warrior from a planets primitive historic period and many others that don't fit the model of Rose/Martha/Donna.
And if the show is to survive it has to at least rotate its options. After 3 every day, normal person companions in a row it was time for a change.
They struggled to make Martha different enough from Rose, and hit gold with Donna, but then they had used up the companion as his mate gig (Sarah Jane was the first of that mold). So where do you go from there?
Moffats idea was instead of the next companion just being someone who gets involved they would instead be the story, the reason for the Doctor getting involved.
Like it or hate it he did find an entirely new way of doing the companion after 50 years of story telling.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:53 pm

thing is, as you said yourself over the hiring of the new Doctor, if it aint broken why fix it? you yourself didnt seem too chuffed at the thought of a Black or female Doctor, so continuity is sometimes better.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

you yourself didnt seem too chuffed at the thought of a Black or female Doctor, so continuity is sometimes better.- Mrs Figg

I have absolutely no problem at all with a black Doctor, and never expressed the slightest concern about that (my favoured choice last regen before Smith was cast was the actor that plays the assassin/agent in Serenity) its a female Doctor I think is too big a change after 50 years without a very well put together story reason justifying it and I think its a big gamble.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: its a female Doctor I think is too big a change after 50 years without a very well put together story reason justifying it and I think its a big gamble.
I could easily imagine that River's character was partly conceived while pondering the question of how audiences might accept a female Time Lord in the future. I think it needs to happen eventually, just like a woman President of the US,  but in both cases it should be because it's the best thing for the show/nation,  not because it's politically correct.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 pm

There has been a full time female Time Lord companion before- Romana, who was companion to the 4th Doctor.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have absolutely no problem at all with a black Doctor, and never expressed the slightest concern about that
Question You kept saying that a black or female Doctor would make the show fundamentally different because they'd "need" to address race or sex issues any time they traveled into the past.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm

No I highlighted areas where I thought it would impact the writing, especially in historical pieces. And I cited examples from previous episodes where to remain a sense of authenticity it would have had to play out very differently.
But I have never had a problem with the notion Time Lords have different skin colours.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 pm

same thing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am

No its not, and despite your attempt to paint me both as racist and misogynist in the same sentence, I wont allow you to because it is neither what I said, nor what I believe.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am

eh? scratch I never tried to paint you as either, I said you preferred continuity. I think the buckie is finally pickling your brain cells. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:09 am

You seem a bit touchy on this point Petty.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Your point that a woman Doctor or a black Doctor would require some good writing to make it work is totally valid. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing though. As you pointed out just a little bit ago, it's good to try something different from time to time, even if it's not a complete success, to keep from falling into the trap of being formulaic.

I'm not going to get to watch much Who for a while, or post here either, though I'll be peeking in at least daily as I check email. Harvest is kicking into high gear and I'm getting to the point where I can't sit down without falling asleep.

I did get through Dinosaurs though without dozing too much. It's probably the episode that most made me feel  like a kid. I wanna ride a dinosaur now!

I wish I'd watched it with my  nephew. That would have been cool!

I may add some half-formed thoughts later if I have a few minutes. I'd like to bounce them off you all before I forget everything in the Fog of Harvest.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 am

you yourself didnt seem too chuffed at the thought of a Black or female Doctor- Mrs Figg

Chuffed means pleased, so what you said was that I was not too pleased at the thought of a black or female Doctor. And that is untrue. And in my view makes me sound like a bigot.
My view on the matter has nothing to do with being chuffed or otherwise.

If you have some young relations about the farm David Dinos is probably the perfect Who episode for watching with them. Kids do love it seems.

Good luck with your harvest- I hope its a bountiful one.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:58 pm

whats eating you Petty? you are very high horsey recently. Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:54 pm

How's the harvest looking this year, David? Not that I'm used to doing it much myself, but growing up on the countryside I've helped neighbours at times and grown fond of the harvest time of the year, the way everyone's busy and the landscape changes Smile Trouble here usually is the weather - keeps raining all the time.

Doctor Who [7] - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 am

I have just finished my third carton of Ocean Spray cranberry juice, its addictive. I probably drink pints of the stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:14 am

I have now recommended it to so many people I should probably be on a cut of the profits, David {hint, hint} (Not to mention the fertiliser I provide Nod )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:16 pm

2 minisodes from the series 7 Boxset-

This first one is just filmed of a tv- you will need t up your volume for it and the sounds will still be tiny Mad 

Do remember to turn your volume back down before watching this one, especially if, like me, you are wearing headphones Evil or Very Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:45 pm

um listening to River moaning is not my idea of fun Suspect

Sofa 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm

I didnt think the River one was to good either. Just a simple show them as squabbling married couple.
But then they just put these together in quiet moments during filming, when things are being set up and stuff and everyone is just hanging about, probably to keep the actors amused and let younger crew members get a go at shooting stuff. Its nice they put them on as extras.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Petty, todays Guardian weekend Saturday, has a nice article on the assistants.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks Figg, I will try to track it down.

Found it- http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Has anyone read this? Apparently they ARE explaining Capaldi's previous roles in the Who Universe.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldis-past-appearances-not-ignored-53407.htm

Seems rather pointless to me, how many people will remember that Pompei episode he was in (5, 6 years ago?) Moffat's tenure as showrunner has made more or less a clean break with Torchwood so I can't see them referencing his role in C.O.E...

Still, coupled with the possible return of the Valeyard could be in for a few interesting seasons...then again I was rather banking on Moffat leaving after S.8...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:21 pm

malickfan wrote:
Still, coupled with the possible return of the Valeyard could be in for a few interesting seasons...then again I was rather banking on Moffat leaving after S.8...
Me too. I was hoping RTD would come back. I am not a fan of Moffat, although I love what he did with Sherlock.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next