Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Yavanna Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:46 am

The new Thor movie was good, but predictable.
However, I can absolutely recommend one that I saw tonight:
Odd Thomas.
Apparently a Dean Koontz novel, and as a screenplay, absolutely brilliant.
Beautifully casted, and miraculously funny in parts.
I recommend it.
I only just realized - the main character was played by Anton Yelchin, the new Chekov in the new Star Trek movies! He's a good little actor. But adding in Willem DaFoe as an anchor character actor was genius.
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:22 am

Not heard of Old Thomas, Yavanna, I shall have to look it up.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 am

Yavanna wrote:The new Thor movie was good, but predictable.
However, I can absolutely recommend one that I saw tonight:
Odd Thomas.
Apparently a Dean Koontz novel, and as a screenplay, absolutely brilliant.
Beautifully casted, and miraculously funny in parts.
I recommend it.
I only just realized - the main character was played by Anton Yelchin, the new Chekov in the new Star Trek movies! He's a good little actor. But adding in Willem DaFoe as an anchor character actor was genius.
A film billing Anton Yelchin, Willem Dafoe, 50 Cent, and Patton Oswalt, directed by Stephen Sommers, based off of a Dean Koontz novel, Unrated, and not appearing in any theatres.
Either I should really see this or I should really not see this, is my thinking.
By the by, if you enjoy Anton Yelchin I would suggest Like Crazy (2011). It's a romance with lots of melodrama, but the cast includes some up-and-comers. I liked it.
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Forest - Yes, you should see it. If you'd like a link I'd gladly supply it - just PM me. I have no idea how my friends get their hands on some of this "un-distributed" stuff. I'm sure it's leaked through the usual channels, though.
Like Crazy -- Hmmm, I'm not much on romance/melodrama anymore, however, Anton was pretty good. Thank you for the suggestion! Perhaps I'll save it for a Sunday night viewing. Smile
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 am

I just saw Mud this evening. It had some lovely bits, here and there. I appreciated that, unlike some non-mainstream character films, this one had mostly reasonable, likeable people in it. Michael Shannon has this kind of comedic little role that, for how briefly he appears, plays well in the story. He seems to have that quality as an actor, always stealing the limelight when he shows up.

The title character, Matthew MacConaughey, while shirtless at times, shifted his appearance and mannerisms just enough to get away from his romance schlock. I'm not from Arkansas, but culturally it felt as if he hit a very solid mark for representing the flavour of those particular backwoods of America.

My laptop battery is dying on me, so I'll leave it at that. See it if you can, let me know what you thought if you already have!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 am

Saw About Schmidt tonight, hadn't seen it before. Really enjoyed it. It was funny, sad, and touching, but not touching in the over the top shmaltzy way. Nicholson gives a fantastic performance too, of course. I found that I really enjoyed the films score as well, and its overall non-intrusive persona. I would recommend it, if you haven't seen it.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 am

Seems the death of film continues apace-

"Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton just laid out the new plan to investors as he discussed ambitious financial goals for the company’s entertainment units. That will include “a significant shift in emphasis from motion pictures to higher margin television” production and distribution.
The studio had nine releases this past summer, but plans just four in the same period in 2014."- Fox

The sad fact is cinema is now the home of spectacle and a sort of Gladiator arena mentally to getting audiences: give them more and more spectacle- and as a consequence audiences are taking to tv* more and more for satisfying stories and in depth characters and plotting.
Cinema rarely provides these any more, and Hollywood almost not at all any more.

*Strictly speaking I should say the tv format rather than traditional tv- as the future is almost certainly companies producing their own content and providing it through places like netflixs rather than traditional networks. But thats mainly a change in delivery rather than in format.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

saw "moon" yesterday. a sci-fi movie about a man who works on the moon alone, it's on netflix Very Happy i can't say too much or it'll ruin it Very Happy it was good, check it out Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:38 pm

has anyone seen Gravity yet?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:38 pm

has anyone seen Gravity yet?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Still not had a chance- and might not get one sadly as I feel its really one to be seen on the big screen and would not have the same impact on the small screen, as from what I can tell take away the look and what is left is hardly new or ground breaking. So I really want to see it in a cinema not on a tv screen.

Ive seen Moon though Norc- I enjoyed it, not quite as thoughtful as I thought or hoped it was going to be but pretty solid, reminded of the more intelligent scifi films from the 1970's.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Very Happy yeah.. it was.. gross.. but erm.. yes, i liked it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:19 pm

So go and watch it then Petty. Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I cant afford to Figg Mad - I need a return ferry fare and train fare and then the cinema ticket and thats before I get a buckie or ten- its just too expensive for one film.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Norc wrote:saw "moon" yesterday. a sci-fi movie about a man who works on the moon alone, it's on netflix :Di can't say too much or it'll ruin it Very Happy it was good, check it out Very Happy
I saw Moon a couple of years ago, I agree it's really good. My brother absolutely loved the film though so I heard a lot about it from him. Razz

Duncan Jones (the director)'s next movie, Source Code is also good. It's not as tight or cerebral as Moon, it's more of a thriller really, but I quite enjoyed it. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I cant afford to Figg Mad - I need a return ferry fare and train fare and then the cinema ticket and thats before I get a buckie or ten- its just too expensive for one film.
How will you see DOS then? Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The sad fact is cinema is now the home of spectacle and a sort of Gladiator arena mentally to getting audiences: give them more and more spectacle- and as a consequence audiences are taking to tv* more and more for satisfying stories and in depth characters and plotting.
Cinema rarely provides these any more, and Hollywood almost not at all any more.
Over-reliance on blockbusters is definitely hurting the industry, but I'm not sure how much of TV's competitiveness is down to cinema declining or just TV finally reaching cinema's level (some would argue surpassing it) both technically and artistically in the past decade-plus. Both long serialized shows and miniseries have gone to brave new places thanks to cable and modern content distribution.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Over-reliance on blockbusters is definitely hurting the industry, but I'm not sure how much of TV's competitiveness is down to cinema declining or just TV finally reaching cinema's level (some would argue surpassing it) both technically and artistically in the past decade-plus.  Both long serialized shows and miniseries have gone to brave new places thanks to cable and modern content distribution.
Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 Youre-goddamn-right-gif

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm

How will you see DOS then?- Eldo

Cheaply, at my local cinema which is basically a large cow shed (doesnt stop the buggers still charging the best part of a tenner to get in though Mad ) - I could go see Gravity there but frankly the screen is only marginally better than my tv, and the seats a lot less comfy than mine Mad 
I'll go see DOS there because I couldn't care about DOS- I expect it to be an awful and crabbit provoking experience, so watching it in cramped uncomfortable cowshed seems wholly appropriate.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:58 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Eldorion wrote:
Over-reliance on blockbusters is definitely hurting the industry, but I'm not sure how much of TV's competitiveness is down to cinema declining or just TV finally reaching cinema's level (some would argue surpassing it) both technically and artistically in the past decade-plus.  Both long serialized shows and miniseries have gone to brave new places thanks to cable and modern content distribution.
Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 Youre-goddamn-right-gif
Very good usage of bold text and gif Nod

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Of course, the real reason for all industry changes is this:

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 ClYenwn
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Petty go and see Gravity in your cowshed its going to look better than on the telly anyway, no matter how crappy the screen. just go! stop dilly dallying.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Thats assuming its on at my local- its only got two screens- theres a second smaller cow shed, more a byre, stuck on the side of the main cowshed- and Im not kidding either-

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 3080729_36729c1d_zps702e4ab9

as you can see, take away the porch and the posters and its just a big shed of corrugated iron painted blue.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

I thought you were overstating the facts for comic effect when you called it a shed, but I can see what you meant. Shocked 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:37 pm

The sad part is that my grandfather used to be the projectionist in the cinema we had before the current shed one.
Unfortunately I cant seem to find a picture of it as it was in its heyday- but this is it as it is now-

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 19 A-La-Scala-cinema_zpsb753d5ef

but you can still see the art nouveau style to it, and the grandness.
It had the full trimmings too- red carpets, ushers in velvet suits and my gran flogging ice cream, fags and buckie in the intermission.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next