Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 20 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:39 pm

I'd love to go to an old-timey movie theatre like that. I feel like I have at some point, but I don't have any distinct memories of it. I sometimes go to one or two of the indie theatres downtown, but those are pretty rundown and not very grand at all, although they're cool in their own way.

Not to be rude, but I have to ask: does it get really loud with the rain on the tin roof in your little theatre? Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 20 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm

does it get really loud with the rain on the tin roof in your little theatre? - Eldo

Thats hard to judge over the sound of the entire thing violently vibrating from the sound system Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Laughing Man, I can't even imagine some of my theatre-going experiences like that.

Sorry Petty, I don't mean to make fun. Embarassed
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 pm

This is why if I really want to see something in a cinema I need to also get enough cash for a ferry an a train so I can go to a proper cinema (for a 3 hour film that makes a round trip time of about 7-10 hours depending on trains, ferries and how many pubs I stop at on the way back) and its not cheap.
And you know I hate opening my sporran Mad there's a reason it has a bloody lock on it!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:55 pm

just get on with it man. stop flim flamming about. Mad 

I just checked at your cowshed THEY ARE SHOWING GRAVITY!!!!!!

its showing at 18.00 so you can go on Sunday. take a cushion and some popcorn.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:15 pm

That looks a lot nicer, Petty. Nod  Shame they couldn't keep those sort of places going would probably be of good value to the local community today.

I've had a bit of a thing for art deco ever since it was featured so heavily on Suchets Poirot.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:20 pm

We are blessed with a lot of it in architecture around here- and there are quite a few places here designed, or have design work in them by Rennie Macintosh.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 pm

I am going to see the next Hunger Games film on Sunday. Thought the first was good.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Its showing at 18.00 so you can go on Sunday. take a cushion and some popcorn.- Mrs Figg

Have you seen the price of popcorn! Mad I'll just cook some porridge, pour it in a drawer, leave it to go solid overnight and take a slab of that with me. Much more economic Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:20 pm

yeah ok, just dont use that as an excuse not to go.

''och nae a couldna get theer, ma purrige had solidified in me shoes''

''och nae, a couldna go, ma wee kilt had fleas and a had tae fumigate''

is not going to work.

its all havers!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Sofa 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Lancebloke wrote:I am going to see the next Hunger Games film on Sunday. Thought the first was good.
everyone i know went to the permiere.. except me.. though perhaps i asked for it cus i forgot to invite a lot of people for the hobbit premiere scratch
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Hunger Games was crap.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Rewatched "Wyatt Earp" from 1994 yesterday. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but I'm guessing a lot more accurate than the rest of the films about him. The film is very long (3 hours and 10 minutes), but it does a really good job at telling a story, and Wyatt Earp's character arc is great as the film pictures him all the way from being a boy who looked up to his brothers to becoming the famous lawman and eventually the "leader" of his brothers. I recommend it especially to those here who enjoyed The Assassination of Jesse James. They're not very similar, but they stand out from other Westerns in that they aren't all gunsmoke and cliches.

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 20 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Hunger Games was crap.
You're crap!! Mad 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:53 am

I wasn't thrilled by the first Hunger Games book or movie, but I've heard the second movie is an improvement and I haven't been to the theatre for a while so I think it'd be fun to see Catching Fire. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 am

they changed director.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Hopefully the new guy isn't so fond of shakycam. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I really liked the second one. I liked the first but thought this was better.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 pm

I thought this was rather a startlingly good accomplishment for an amateur film made by one person-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 pm

That guy must have come out of some SX house, I can't believe someone could pick up that much knowledge and skill without having come from the inside.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
You're crap!! Mad 
No You're crap Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:16 pm

SPOILERS
This is a review of Treasure Island from 2012. It contains a few spoilers and should not be read if you have a desire to watch this hideous attempt at an adaptation.

So on to it. I watched Treasure Island today, a mini-series of two episodes from 2012. The reviews on Netflix were mostly positive, so I decided to give this adaptation of one of my favourite books three hours of my time. Well, it's shit almost from the get-go. It starts off by introducing John Silver, face and all, thus ruining the mystery surrounding the character. In the book the first you hear about him (though you don't know that it is John Silver yet) is Billy Bones telling Jim to be on the lookout for seafarers, and one with a wooden leg in particular. In the film you've already seen Silver in the first scenes, and Billy never mentions the man with one leg, just casually tells him to be on the lookout for seafarers.

Then it goes on to show Dr. Livesey as this whimpy, gutless excuse of a man, and Trelawney as this cold, wanna-be-badass a**wipe, completely pissing on two of the story's main characters. There's also this ridiculous side story revolving around John Silver's wife, who ends up going up to The Admiral Benbow to steal from Jim's mother for no apparent reason whatsoever. To make it even sillier, they become the best of buddies apparently, and their loving relationship is cemented when Jim's mother stops Black Dog (who also appears out of the blue for no reason at all) from defiling Silver's wife. One is forced to think that this must at least be going somewhere, but it doesn't, and the end to it is as ridiculous as the rest of it.

On the ship Trelawney shows himself as a merciless dictator, killing one of his crew over an insult. Jim hears about John Silver and the crew's plan in the barrel, but instead of rushing to Livesey and Trelawney to tell them about this, he steals the map and joins the pirates, "fearing for his life under the monstrous Trelawney" or something to that effect. As to John Silver, it's no secret in the book who is, as a reader you guess it when they meet at that place in Bristol, him having one leg and all the makings of a pirate, but the book nevertheless does a good job at keeping the suspension all the way till Jim overhears their conversation in the apple barrel.

The film makes half a mess of everything that goes on on the island as well, and Elijah Wood is no convincing Ben Gunn, but that may just be me. All of the above is as close to an objective review as it gets I'd say. When at the end Trelawney throws himself into the water after the treasure that Jim has tossed overboard because he can't cope with guilt and horrible experiences, he ends up killing himself in a fit of madness and greed. This is by far the shittiest adaptation I have ever seen. The only thing being raped by pirates here is the source material, and it makes The Hobbit look like an excellent adaptation, which should be sufficient to help people who haven't read Treasure Island see how poor one this is.

Rant over.

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 20 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Lancebloke wrote:
You're crap!! Mad 
No You're crap Mad 
NO! You're crap!! Mad 
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Ben Gunn is one of my favourite characters from the book. He is quite fascinating but not because of him as a person but because of his will to survive. He was so annoying he was left on the Island by other sailors, he is weak and he drinks all his reward money away. But he is a character you dont forget.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next