Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Norc Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 pm

just saw monster university today, the story may be a bit thin, but i enjoyed it to bits and i thought it was really funny and nostalgic Smile loved, i recomend it, although bring a kid or something Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Lancebloke Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:19 pm

But not a random one
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Sound advice that!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:22 pm

preferably yes, not a random one, although .. if u find a willing kid and treat him with popcorn and a movie, what harm have u done Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I'll do it cheers 

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome back, Squach! Very Happy How have you been?

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Playing a lot of guitar, and eating. loooooots of eating Smile

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 pm

mmmmm food.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Elysium opens here on the 29th really looking forward to it. bounce  cant remember the last good fillum I saw at the cinema.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I thought the last good film ID see at the cinema would be the Hobbit ! how wrong can you be ? I saw the latest Superman film at the flicks, it was good. Henry cavill was SO worth seeing ! *whoar* holy mama ! Michael Shannon played a good baddie, got a bit muddly in places but it werent that bad ! Id like to see "Oblivion" with Tom Cruise & "Pacific Rim", Nod 

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I fancy Elysium although reviews haven't been great... just average. But then they were all comparing to district 9.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

I dont often go by reviews, its only what other people think, just cos YOU may not think its good, I might ? Thats what you get on IMDB, they give stars etc, yeah, I read reviews but, I try to watch as many trailers as I can & make my own mind up. There's often a spate of films all saying the same thing, it can get monotonous really, its like a fashion trend, 1st, its all Sci-Fi, then its all war in middle east, buddie films, getting laid films, dying of cancer films, I often look thru the year listings on IMDB & find stuff there Smile 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 pm

the film I am really looking forward to is Gravity by Cuaron, hopes are riding high that this could be the new Space Odyssey 2001
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm

The few times I make it into the theater I keep seeing previews and thinking "these upcoming films will be great!" and then a week later I forget what I was going to be excited about. Shrugging  So I know there's some good movies coming up, but then I miss them.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:41 pm

I just watched the 'Ultimate cut' of Watchmen, all 3 hours 35 minutes of it.
Now I should say first I am a huge fan of the graphic novel and have been for years, and secondly the film is pretty much exactly the comic right up until the final act, when it goes off in a different direction, but with the same outcome as the comic.
I would have liked the original ending but I dont mind the one given here which is less outlandish than the comic version.
Basically I really like the film, its long, it unfolds in its own time it has loads of characters, covers a fifty year time period, hs a 'what if' premie to modern history and plays with a lot of themes all at once, and even has a comic book pirate story within the story (in animated sections).
Its also wordy, and not afraid of words and has plenty of them.
Its a very brave bit of film for Hollywood.
It also captures the comics illustrations rather superbly. Better than most in fact, although the colour pallette is markedly different from the comic the film continually borrows images, framing devices ect directly from the comic, it really is like seeing the comic come to life in that regard and I can think of few comic to film adaptations that do this as well.

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W1_zpsfffa6aa3

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W1b_zps027a6172

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W2_zps01260205

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W2b_zpsddbae8e0

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W3_zpsc4ca7fc9

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 W3b_zpsf593d446

And those are just examples from the first few pages of the comic and the opening ten minutes of film- but the entire thing is visually like this- constantly referring back to the visual structuring of the comic.

Overall I thought it was a brave film, and one of the truest in many ways to the original adaptations of a comic I have ever seen (especially this cut, as the theatrical at least did not include the comic book story within the story amongst many other things).
If you are in the mood for something long and involved, and have ever wondered what the world might have been like if instead of comic book heroes appearing in masks in comics of the 40's and 50's, they had really appeared on our streets then this gives some worrying, and thought provoking answers.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm

I still haven't seen Watchmen but I would be curious to see both versions of the film since I greatly enjoyed the graphic novel. I just need to set aside the time and and focus for it.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Elysium opens here on the 29th really looking forward to it.  bounce  cant remember the last good fillum I saw at the cinema.
I really want to see Elysium. I'm a little worried at the reviews, though. I haven't read too many of them since I'm trying to avoid significant spoilers, but it seems like some of the criticisms would apply to District 9 too (like critics thinking the film is unsubtle or has too much action towards the end), but I didn't mind either of those issues in District 9. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

yes me neither, some blockbusters are very satisfying
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:42 pm

I still haven't seen Watchmen but I would be curious to see both versions of the film- Eldo

Im not sure the theatrical cut is really worth it- this is very much a case of 'oh shit its over 3 and a half hours long what can we just lose to get it down?'
There is no padding as such in the ultimate cut, unless you consider the comic padded, all bar the final act are pretty much as I remember from the comic, by watching the theatrical cut you really are just watching a paired down version for no other reason than running length.
Despite the length I found the ultimate version by far the more satisfying and meaty of the two.
It also has one of the best soundtrack/visual mix Ive heard on a film since Reservoir Dogs.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 pm

just watched the end of Merlin Sad  its so sad Sad  cried like a big girl
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:just watched the end of Merlin Sad  its so sad Sad  cried like a big girl
I knooooooow! Sad

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm

I just watched this film on youtube, and it's AMAZING! And it just so happens Lee Pace is in it and also is AMAZING!!!!!
I suggest everyone watches it ASAP!!!!

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 5 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm

That does look good Tin- I shall make some time for that- is the full film on youtube then?
You got the link if so?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:15 pm

I have seen that film & I can recommend it ! Good choice Tin ! Very Happy 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Tinuviel wrote:

I just watched this film on youtube, and it's AMAZING! And it just so happens Lee Pace is in it and also is AMAZING!!!!!
I suggest everyone watches it ASAP!!!!
OMG! i have wanted to see that one for ages!! but i can't find a copy of it anywhere!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next