Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 4 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 pm

you can cover your regalia with your kilt
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 4 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Eldorion Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 pm

I saw a bunch of guys wearing kilts at Otakon but one of them didn't have any tassles on his sporran and I was tempted to call him out on it. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 am

Figgy - I think if you repost it with a catwoman mask stenciled in it would be just smashing.  I'll work on Petty.

{{{ Petty - please. bounce  It will do the more female-challenged component of the forum a world of good.  And I'm getting tired of flipping through Redbook.  Just doesn't compare; I don't know if any of them in there have even read Tolkien. }}}

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Eldorion wrote:I saw a bunch of guys wearing kilts at Otakon but one of them didn't have any tassles on his sporran and I was tempted to call him out on it. Mad
proud.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Theres a plethora of darn good films I wanna see this year but one I AM looking forward to is, "Rush" starring Chris Hemsworth & Daniel Brühl as James Hunt & Nikki Lauda. The trailor looks action packed & Chris Hemsworth is a ringer for the womanising James Hunt. I can also see Daniel Bruhl playing a great Nikki Lauda, And of course we have a great director in Ron Howard !

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:59 pm

I do like Ron Howard. Nod He was great in Happy Days! Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah me to, & hes made a name for himself behind the camera now, hes a bloody good director !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Very Happy Im just pulling your chain a bit! I really do like hm as a director, he is very good.
I really liked Frost/Nixon. And a conversation between two people is not the easiest subject to make a Hollywood film out of.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Mad  your getting me back arent you for that bloody Adam & Eve thing !................Wink 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:41 pm

I rewatched Kenneth Brannagh's Henry V earlier today (I'm pining for him to film his latest stage production- Macbeth- a role Ive waited along time to see him take on, alongside Alex Kingston as Lady Macbeth) and it struck me that one of the things that makes that version of Henry V so watchable is the music.
In most modern films the soundtrack either provides the mood setting for a scene, or its orchestrated to match the onscreen action.
With Shakespeare its a bit trickier, you have to do those things too but mainly you have to orchestrate the score to the words. Its all about interpreting the speeches in music, a tricky thing to do and one which this particular production does excellently in my view-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:50 pm

I felt the Branagh version outshone the Olivier version by far. I think the point about the music is a good one, though the Olivier music won awards it wasn't nearly as stirring as the modern incarnation.

I would love to see Branagh film Macbeth. I was disappointed Hamlet, though. Could have cut out more for one thing (I believe it's an overly padded play) but my biggest gripe was the lighting didn't fit the darkness of the themes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes I was dispointed with Hamlet too.
But then its not my favourite play, its great and I do like it, but I agree its a bit over padded in places and also its one of the few times I feel Shakespeare does not really understand something he is trying to portray- the madness aspect of it, Shakespeare seems to think being mad is a bit like Blackadder believes it to be- you just put a pair of underpants on your head and stick two pencils up your nose and answer every question with 'wibble'.

I sometimes think we have Hamlet wrong- and its actually a dark comedy not a tragedy at all.
If you play the scene where Hamlet does some acting with the traveling actors in the story as Hamlet being bloody awful, instead of excellent as its usually portrayed, then his attempts to play mad also become humorous rather than played straight as it usually is.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm

agreed Nod 

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 pm

Woo-hoo! I just found out Branagh is bringing his stage version of Macbeth to New York! And in even more brilliance, it will be held in the Park Avenue armory, which is a lavishly appointed, huge venue put together for the uses of victorian era officers.

I hope I don't forget it by when it arrives next year...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:36 pm

I am so envious Halfy! Evil or Very Mad 

But do go,  its apparently quite an experience- assuming they stage it in similar fashion they include the offpage battle at the start- in a muddy, bloody enactment in an area in the middle of the audience- apparently its quite a total experience- blood, sweat and mud for all the senses.

(I am curious if he plays the part with a Scottish accent- few actors do Mad )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 pm

saw Prometheus, well at least it looked good, the plot was weedy and so was the acting, as for the rest, seen that done that got the skid marked undercrackers. poo.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 pm

I thought prometheus was ok. Was never going to have an ultimate pay off as it was always meant to be a sequel. Plot holes and some ropey acting were annoying but charlize theron is hot so all ok in the end.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I liked Prometheus also, but what erked me was, why would you try to coochy-coo a snake like looking Alien ? & Noomi Rapace got over her stomach splitting surgery well enough to go leaping across a cracking up landscape !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

The snake thing was annoying, buy plot hole there was that those two got separated from the group because they refused to go in to that room, only to layer decide to spend the night there..... ?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 pm

well it looked good but I expected more.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 pm

I think they were trying to make Noomi a Sigorney Weaver type
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Im willing to hold out on my verdict until he has made the rest.
But I think it is much more a 2001 than an Aliens.
I found this an excellent piece about it-

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 pm

interesting thesis but you shouldnt have to read analysis to enjoy or appreciate a film, I thought the film was trite no matter how symbolic the imagery it fails as a film, and the acting was wooden and pretty uncharismatic to say the least.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Well... Fassbender was quite good and I think Theron came across as a bitch.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next