Norc
chris63
Eldorion
CC12 35
Mrs Figg
29 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Norc Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

also. i told my teacher about the Benedict movie "12 years a slave" we could go to the movies in history class and see it Very Happy cus it fits Smile perfectly Very Happy with what we're gonna be learning about Very Happy oh yeah.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Youve norced you history class into being about Cumberbum?! Shocked  I'm impressed. Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Laughing it's what i do Wink gonna try the assange movie too, although i don't take any politic classes or something that remotely touches that subject.. except history but we're not at the present day yet.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 pm

except history but we're not at the present day yet.- Norc

You dont get to the present date- thats why its called history!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm

i meant like the around word war 2 and up. but i said remotely related. politics or those human rights subjects or whatever would've fitted much better.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

"But wiki leaks is the modern enigma machine so we should watch this Cumberbum film"- Norc in history class.

Better chance with War Horse (and you only have to wait till WW1 for it) or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy- but you need to wait for the Cold War for that one.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:32 pm

We watched Private Peaceful last October in English because we were doing war poetry.

A depressing but good film. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Havent seen that one- there arent many serious non depressing war films- Catch 22 is sort of darkly funny, and Spike Milligans How I won the War, and Blackadder 4 of course spring to mind- but not much else.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh and more recently we watched the beginning of Saving Private Ryan over and over and over, because we were studying different techniques that create emotion.

It was a good start to a film, but there's only so many times you can watch the same 20 minute clip of Tom Hanks avoiding death before it gets a little tiresome.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 pm

I found everything after the opening tiresome in that film. Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Probably a good thing we didn't watch it then cheers 

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Yep, he went into Spielberg set-piece mode. I had hopes for Spielberg when he did Schindler's list: didn't look like him at all, grittily, beautifully real. Then he relapsed and made a number of films which should have been great but kept looking overly contrived.

Actually Schindler's list fell down in the last scene in color: when have you ever seen a group of people go to a cemetery then stand all bunched together in a group exactly like taking a photo? Should have cut that scene out, it screamed "Hey! Spielberg made this! Can you tell by how nicely everyone is posed?" :facepalm: 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 pm

I've seen parts of Schindler's list in my History lessons too - missed most of it due to violin lessons. It did look extremely glossy.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Schindler's list was not candy-coated the way his other films are, the shots didn't seem as contrived, it really showed Spielberg's potential. He came closest to recapturing it in Lincoln; tried but failed in Saving Private Ryan though for some reason the critics loved that movie. Amistad also looked too contrived.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Band of Brothers is in all ways better than SPR, but it never would have been made without Tom Hanks and Private Ryan's success.

I watched Saving Private Ryan in the theater when it first came out. About 10 minutes into the battle a large man in the audience had a heat attack. They stopped the movie and brought the lights up. There were firefighters in the audience who started giving CPR in the isle till the paramedics arrived and took the man out on a gurney. I don't know if he lived. Then they dimmed the lights and rolled the film.....Shocked  It changed the whole movie.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Bloody hell! That a bit to much immersion for my liking. Shocked 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I found everything after the opening tiresome in that film. Mad 
I'm with Petty.  I think I'd rather watch the opening five times in a row than watch the entire film. Razz

{{{Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a noticeable drop in quality or interest after the opening of any other film.}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:12 am

Eldorion wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:I found everything after the opening tiresome in that film. Mad 
I'm with Petty.  I think I'd rather watch the opening five times in a row than watch the entire film. Razz

{{{Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a noticeable drop in quality or interest after the opening of any other film.}}}
Not sure why there's encryption brackets (or what's in them or who they're for), but speaking of another film that dropped precipitiously in quality after the first 20 minutes, how about Return of the Jedi?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 am

I did always regret that Princess Leia never put on the metal bikini again after the first 20 minutes of Jedi. :carrot:

But all things considered, I actually quite like the finale of Jedi. Yeah, the Ewoks are dumb, but the Luke/Vader duel is one of the highlights of the entire trilogy before me (probably its best lightsaber duel) and the denouement on Endor with Vader's funeral and force ghost always get to me. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 am

I hated that ending- Vader is set up as the biggest bastard ever and he gets compete redemption cause right at the end he decided he can still love his son?
What? What about the million she put to their deaths?
No, he should have been bad to the end- typically schmaltzy Hollywood nonsense ending.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 am

He also kills the Emperor of the Galaxy. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:44 am

By that logic if Goebbels had been in the bunker with Hitler right at the very end and shot him the arriving Russians would have said "well that's ok, he's a good guy now, he has seen the error of his ways".
I very much doubt it!

He'd still be a criminal and mass murderer.
And so is Vader, going a bit gooey when the shit hits the fan and regretting your evil life isnt worth crap- let alone geting to be a cool jedi ghost and hanging out with all the good jedis.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 am

Well there's no indication that any of the characters at the end other than Luke, Yoda, or Obi-Wan thought that Vader had done anything redemption-worthy. Even if Luke spread the word about what Vader had done, it's doubtful the rest of the Rebellion would have cared. It's not like anyone took Luke seriously about Vader having good in him earlier in the film and with only Luke's verbal account of what happened I doubt Han, much less Joe Reb on the street, would change their minds later. The only people who even know that Vader's Force ghost exists at the end of the film are people with close, family (or nearly family) relationships with him who have very personal and subjective reasons for forgiving him.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 am

But its the fact he basically got the reward despite being the worst person ever in history and all he did was feel a bit guilty and sorry for himself and decide he really did love his son after all.
Its all a bit catholic to me- yes sure you can slaughter as many muslims as you like, abuse children, cheat on your wife- just remember to come to confession, put some money in the coffers and all your sins will instantly be washed away.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 am

This is what I imagine is going through Vader's head at the end:

And I agree with Eldo, the Vader/Luke sword fight at the end of RotJ is epic Very Happy

Seen any good films lately? [2] - Page 6 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next