CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Norc
21 posters

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

star trek thread - Page 31 Empty Re: star trek thread

Post by Norc Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Yavanna wrote:Cumberbach blew me away. I screamed with delight when his smile turned into a "V", reminiscent of the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, "Shall we...begin?!" AUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!
The delightful pain he inflicted as a "bad guy" was so wonderful..what else can one say, other than "I need more Sherlock, NOW".
i think we will become very good friends Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

nope, having problems watching these lesser actors portray iconic parts. Sorry, doesn't work for me Petty - the Star Trek acting was as finely wrought (in a carefully overdone way) as the Dark Shadows acting from roughly the same period. Can't be recaptured.

I thought the acting from the JJ Abrams series came much closer, but the whole feeling was wrong. Star Trek has to be more about taking itself a touch too seriously, and less about show. The new movies were all about show.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 pm

I feel the ethics and the feel of that remake/reboot of the original is more in keeping with the feel and spirit of the original than the new films are- which are just run of the mill over the top inconsequential Hollywood generic scifi blockbusters.
There is nothing ST about them beyond stealing familiar words and character names from it.

So I am willing to put up with some of the issues of that fan episode as a trade off for it being recognisably ST. (That and its only one episode, I hated almost everyone in Ds9 from episode 2 to pretty much the end of series 3, but it became I think the best of modern St tv- sometimes you have to be willing to give a thing some time to get used to it, and series 1-2 of TNG was rank awful too, unwatchable guff- but the bulk of the rest is TNG gold)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't think they are lesser actors. I just think (and have said it before) that some characters are ingrained in the memory. Will Shatner is Kirk. Patrick Stewart is Picard. Harrison Ford is Han Solo. Pat Morita is Mr Miyagi.

I find it hard to reconcile a character like that with another actor who will either play it their own way and is therefore a different character, or they try to live up to the original and cant because it isn't natural to them.

I imagine that this school of thought only works where you were around to witness those people play those roles without any major shift (i.e. how many people have played batman or spiderman over the years so who really cares who the actor is).

Most of the the new line up of the JJ films I don't take seriously. Sulu is too modern looking. Chekov comes across as comic relief (a Star Trek dwarf). Scotty.... well I just can't take Pegg seriously at all even when his is trying to be. I wont go on as sure you get my drift.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yavanna Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:01 am

Lancebloke, I completely understand why certain actors have that effect upon us.
I cannot imagine another actor ever eclipsing Shatner's Kirk. It's impossible.
Shatner was the "Golden Boy" of television (that monicker from TV  Guide, 1967). He was breathtakingly beautiful, even without the toupee, which he started wearing even before Star Trek. Poor guy just lost it early. Other than that, he was said to be amazingly handsome when he did up his makeup and got his character on.

Joan Collins said that she was enthralled with him, everything was perfect - even the fact that she had to stand on tip-toe to kiss him. She was smitten from their first scene together. Then one day she was getting herself a cuppa, when a guy walked past her and murmured a hello - and she didn't know who he was. Clad in a flannel robe, fuzzy slippers, with no toupee, Shatner wasn't identifiable to her. She actually asked a grip "who was that?" and was shocked to pieces. Supposedly he wasn't as tall, either - his boots had given him a bit of a lift as well. When magazines said he was "short" at 5 foot 8 inches, they meant that most leading men were 6 ft and over. Having stood near the Shat, I can tell you that he's not short. Not 6 ft, but not short.
So anyway, where was I? Oh, that Shatner was awesome. And he was! Chris Pine wishes he had Shatner's charisma.
Okay, have I babbled on enough? ;P
Yavanna
Yavanna
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 am

Bendydick Cabbagepatch could never be Khan for me. Shrugging 

You just can't beat Ricardo Montalban.

Plus, in Wrath of Khan there's an established relationship between Kirk and Khan (sure he was only in one episode, but he had a big impact). There's more emotional weight to what's going on, and I felt like a lot more was at stake. There really is no good reason (other than marketability and money) for the writers of the new movies to keep revisiting things from TOS. I want new stories and characters. I want Star Trek to feel bigger, not smaller. I want more ethics based stories, and less action for the sake of action.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:21 am

Well... There is more at stake as kirk is khans enemy after abandoning him and his people on that desert planet. So there was something a little extra going in there.

And yes, they need an original story. Something with a bit more weight and less explosions for the sake of explosions (although explosions are still important when used correctly).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:21 am

That ST kickstarter project to continue on TOS has raised its money and they are making more episodes- so well done to them, I enjoyed it more than the rebooted crap so I'm quite happy about this.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:01 am

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:04 am

Shut up Wesley!

This, this was perfect!  lol! 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 pm

lol! 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:36 pm

that was brilliant Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm

lol!  superb
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Am I having a De Ja Vue moment ? Did I see this earlier ? Are "Care Homes" suddenly looking inviting ? Im going off me fooking chump ! Im sure I saw this earlier today ?..................... Shocked pale 
anyway, WTF, its great !  Laughing 

star trek thread - Page 31 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

star trek thread - Page 31 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 pm

You did  Very Happy 
http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t680p570-what-sort-of-jokes-can-i-get-away-with-2#116141

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Thankyou RA ! here nurse, have the blue pills back !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Keep the blue ones- dump the red!  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:34 pm

cyclops  Okay !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:38 am

Second episode in Star Trek Continues. I am enjoying these, just like having more of the original to watch and the lead actor makes a better Kirk than reboot boy could ever dream of, and its more ST in feel than any other attempt made since at least DS9.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Its Katy Perry ! IDK ? im only 3mins into it & strangely...*hums Twilight Zone tune*....feel oddly captivated by it ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm

I really like the two episodes they have made so far  Nod - they have captured the feel of the originals and the spirit of them pretty damn perfectly. I even like the moral message in the episodes, just like original ST.

And getting James Dohan's (original Scotty) son to play his part is both genius, and a little uncanny as they have share facial expressions and mannerisms.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I am SO gonna watch this ! Only made 2 episodes you say ? hey ho, its great so far  Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 pm

They are making more- just only 2 finished so far- they had a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for two series (the original show was supposed to be a 5 year mission, as the famous intro dialogue states, but it got canned after 3- this is supposed to be a continuation of the original giving the last 2 years of the mission).

So plenty more to come as they raised the funds to make them.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm

cheers Good to hear, glad someones got their thingy on the pulse  Very Happy I dont have my thingy on anything these days, Im crawling further back into a big, dark, cavernous shell
star trek thread - Page 31 Maniacalcat_zps075a2a4f

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Here's the first episode they made- 'Pilgrim of Eternity'- its a sequel to original series episode 'Who Mourns for Adonais', so you might want to track that one down first if you are not familiar with it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 41 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36 ... 41  Next