Pettytyrant101
Norc
21 posters

Page 17 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next

Go down

star trek thread - Page 17 Empty Re: star trek thread

Post by halfwise Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Norc wrote:shaking like a leaf?

Look at the last movie using the cast of the original series. DeForest Kelley is so old and full of palsy I wouldn't be surprised if all his shots were taken with a pole running up his pant leg to keep him upright.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Oh, "effects and shots" refers only to special effect shots. I thought you were distinguishing between special effects and all original footage. yeah, most of the planetary and ship shots were pretty good, but I could see redoing a few.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm

halfwise wrote:

Ah, at first I thought you were making snide comments about Nimoy's acting chops, and was ready to go whupass on you, but I see you are a fan.

Snide? [arches eyebrow] That would not be logical.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I went to see the new ST film with my son today & have to say....The best bit was...(fanfare please)....oh god....Ok Norc, you win...... Benedict bloody Cumberbatch ! There, I said it. The film was ok, good even but, not great. It wasnt ST in the true sense of the word, They tried but, well, it wasnt ST. It was more like a "Sci-Fi space farce". Spock showed to much emotion for a Vulcan, (tears lovely, tears) Ahura was the only one privileged to wear earrings, & I wasnt convinced about her affair with Spock ? Karl Urban played "Bones" well IMO, so did the guy who played Zulo. Simon Pegg was trying to be "Scotty" but was more like "scatty". We didnt get an awful lot of info about BCs character but he did do a good characterisation & his "Baddie" was a baddie ! That bit I enjoyed. What we did find soppy & sloppy was, the endless circuling of " Il save your life, you save mine, no,no, my dear, IL save yours, no,no,let ME save yours" that prevailed throughout the film. A lot of "flash-bang-wallop", intense "do or die" urgency but, not a lot of actual story? not a lot of substance? Ended with the theme music from the TV series, just in case you needed reminding which film you were watching. I liked the 1st film better I think.

star trek thread - Page 17 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

star trek thread - Page 17 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm

halfwise wrote:
Norc wrote:shaking like a leaf?

Look at the last movie using the cast of the original series. DeForest Kelley is so old and full of palsy I wouldn't be surprised if all his shots were taken with a pole running up his pant leg to keep him upright.

oh. that sucks.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Norc wrote:

(bumping for new page)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 pm

azriel wrote:I went to see the new ST film with my son today & have to say....The best bit was...(fanfare please)....oh god....Ok Norc, you win...... Benedict bloody Cumberbatch ! There, I said it. The film was ok, good even but, not great. It wasnt ST in the true sense of the word, They tried but, well, it wasnt ST. It was more like a "Sci-Fi space farce". Spock showed to much emotion for a Vulcan, (tears lovely, tears) Ahura Uhura was the only one privileged to wear earrings, & I wasnt convinced about her affair with Spock ? Karl Urban played "Bones" well IMO, so did the guy who played Zulo Sulu. Simon Pegg was trying to be "Scotty" but was more like "scatty". We didnt get an awful lot of info about BCs character but he did do a good characterisation & his "Baddie" was a baddie ! That bit I enjoyed. What we did find soppy & sloppy was, the endless circuling of " Il save your life, you save mine, no,no, my dear, IL save yours, no,no,let ME save yours" that prevailed throughout the film. A lot of "flash-bang-wallop", intense "do or die" urgency but, not a lot of actual story? not a lot of substance? Ended with the theme music from the TV series, just in case you needed reminding which film you were watching. I liked the 1st film better I think.

sorry for the corrections, but i had to.. Very Happy

I KNEW YOU'DE LIKE BUPERDILL CRAMBERDAP ^^ frankly, it is the best thing in the movie (which is a bit sad, but great for the Cumber-collectives)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Norc wrote:
(bumping for new page)

You just had to go there, [twice Suspect Suspect ], didn't you? Mad
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 9:16 pm

well, yeah, obviously Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm

sorry for the corrections, but i had to.. Norc.
No worries ! senility kicking in yet again ! Laughing
But, Bumberdick Cum-again WAS good as a Baddie, he has the look, the sneer, the persona, AND he could move, check out fight scenes. (re think...yeah, I know, body double!) But, I wonder ? If not for BC, would I remember the film as I do ? Only the simpering of Spock V Uhura, & would Spock engage in petty arguing ? Wink

star trek thread - Page 17 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

star trek thread - Page 17 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 pm

We were going to try to see Star Trek sometime this week as a family since my mom is probably the biggest ST fan in the family (relatively speaking) but I don't know if that's going to work out. Sad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

azriel wrote:sorry for the corrections, but i had to.. Norc.
No worries ! senility kicking in yet again ! Laughing
But, Bumberdick Cum-again WAS good as a Baddie, he has the look, the sneer, the persona, AND he could move, check out fight scenes. (re think...yeah, I know, body double!) But, I wonder ? If not for BC, would I remember the film as I do ? Only the simpering of Spock V Uhura, & would Spock engage in petty arguing ? Wink

yepp, Bumblreum Cabbagepatch pretty much made the film. he did most fight sequenses himself, although i know the jumping though a window is a body double (although really well cut i must say, if i didn't know i'de buy it) because Benedict said so. he's just miles better than any other actor (the monologue, damn! oscar material!)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Eldorion wrote:We were going to try to see Star Trek sometime this week as a family since my mom is probably the biggest ST fan in the family (relatively speaking) but I don't know if that's going to work out. Sad

Sad i cross my fingers for you. i am planning on going one more time (with a friend as a birthday present) but suddenly everything came up! like... taekwon-do and exams and wooooh... shitload of everything Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Not sure what you mean Halfy- they havent redone perfomrances or some magic- they just redid the ship exterior shots and planets, particualrly planets seen from space look good.
But they are done with a great deal of care to be in the style of the original model shots.

In most cases I don't see why they bothered with the effort of remastering, the originals were just fine. Maybe 20% of those seemed worth the effort to change.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Planet surfaces from orbit look a lot better. But the fact its subtle is what I like about it- the new effects dont infringe at all upon the integrity of the original episodes. Id rather that than they sugnificiantly altered the look or feel of the effects shots.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

MODERATORS

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Mount up!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Fri May 31, 2013 2:04 pm

the thing about being a lesbian is that shouting, "Regulator, mount up!" right before sex isn't really as funny

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Every time you make a comment about sex, CC, I wonder just how many totally befuddled guys are milling about as a consequence of your attentions.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Fri May 31, 2013 2:19 pm

too many all i want is my kate ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm

halfwise wrote:In most cases I don't see why they bothered with the effort of remastering, the originals were just fine. Maybe 20% of those seemed worth the effort to change.

I kinda have to agree. Also, given a choice between questionable model shots and questionable CGI shots, I'll take questionable model shots any day. Those don't age nearly as quickly as CGI. I did quick a Google search and apparently the remastered TOS was released in 2006 but already a lot of it looks like video game animatics from a generation or two ago.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Way I see it is the model shots had dated to- and stuff like planets surfaces were just smears of clours- those look better, but thats just a small thing- the main reason for watching them is not the effect shots but the normal studio footage which has been remastered and is in full HD. It really nice to see the old episodes looking sharp and crisp and the colours to be as they were intended rather than as the constraints of broadcast tv and tv sets of the day made them appear.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Of course the model shots have dated too, but models in general don't age as quickly as CGI. The TOS models are like 50 years old and for the most part (planet surfaces being an exception) do not look significantly worse than the CGI from a mere seven years ago (based on those sample videos).

I see your point about wanting the show in HD, though. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Those vids ae not great examples really- hard to tell the difference between the oiginal and the remastered when the only vids I could find on youtube are all in low resolutions. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 41 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 29 ... 41  Next