David H
halfwise
Orwell
the truth
Lorient Avandi
24 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Well at least they are trying, and these grass roots sort of campaigns can have far reaching consequences some times- here's hoping.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 am

This vid doesnt show what sparked this assault, but its hard to imagine this girl was any threat to the cop and this was appropriate, from what is claimed she was facing up to anti-gay protesters, and telling them she was not going to hell when the cop intervened-

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:49 am

Isn't America great? You even have the freedom to get beaten up by cops! So many freedoms we enjoy! Very Happy

{{{ Mad }}}

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 pm

that happens every day here. at this protest in Rome a plain clothed policeman deliberately jumps on the body of a girl lying on the ground. its disgusting. its best to avoid Italian police at all costs.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Having camera-phones in everybody's pockets has been a real game changer for the police though.  
Just imagining that they might be on camera has gone a long way to keeping everybody honest. Nod

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Back to gun control, I think this recent Supreme Court ruling shows as well as anything why comprehensive gun control on a national level is a long way off.  In particular, look at the ratio of the states at the bottom.

AP - S. Hananel wrote:WASHINGTON (AP) — A divided Supreme Court sided with gun control groups and the Obama administration Monday, ruling that the federal ban on "straw" purchases of guns can be enforced even if the ultimate buyer is legally allowed to own a gun.

The justices ruled 5-4 that the law applied to a Virginia man who bought a gun with the intention of transferring it to a relative in Pennsylvania who was not prohibited from owning firearms.

The ruling settles a split among appeals courts over federal gun laws intended to prevent sham buyers from obtaining guns for the sole purpose of giving them to another person. The laws were part of Congress' effort to make sure firearms did not get into the hands of unlawful recipients.

Writing for the majority, Justice Elena Kagan said the federal government's elaborate system of background checks and record-keeping requirements help law enforcement investigate crimes by tracing guns to their buyers. Those provisions would mean little, she said, if a would-be gun buyer could evade them by simply getting another person to buy the gun and fill out the paperwork.

Kagan's opinion was joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy, who is often considered the court's swing vote, as well as liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

In dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia said the language of the law does not support making it a crime for one lawful gun owner to buy a gun for another lawful gun owner. He was joined by the court's other conservatives — Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito.

The case began after Bruce James Abramski, Jr. bought a Glock 19 handgun in Collinsville, Virginia, in 2009 and later transferred it to his uncle in Easton, Pennsylvania. Abramski, a former police officer, had assured the Virginia dealer he was the "actual buyer" of the weapon even though he had already offered to buy the gun for his uncle using a police discount.

Abramski purchased the gun three days after his uncle had written him a check for $400 with "Glock 19 handgun" written in the memo line. During the transaction, he answered "yes" on a federal form asking "Are you the actual transferee buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you."

Police later arrested Abramski after they thought he was involved in a bank robbery in Rocky Mount, Virginia. No charges were ever filed on the bank robbery, but officials charged him with making false statements about the purchase of the gun.

A federal district judge rejected Abramski's argument that he was not a straw purchaser because his uncle was eligible to buy firearms and the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed.

The Obama administration had argued that accepting Abramski's defense would impair the ability of law enforcement officials to trace firearms involved in crimes and keep weapons away from people who are not eligible to buy them. The administration said that even if the purchase is made on behalf of someone eligible to buy a firearm, the purpose of the law is frustrated since Congress requires the gun dealers — not purchasers — to run federal background checks on people buying guns.

Abramski claimed Congress' goal was to prevent guns from falling into the hands of convicted felons and others barred from owning firearms. He said that goal is not furthered if the gun is transferred to someone legally allowed to own guns.

The National Rifle Association sided with Abramski, asserting that the government wrongly interpreted the law and improperly expanded the scope of gun regulations. Twenty-six states also submitted a brief supporting Abramski's view of the law, while nine states and Washington, D.C., filed papers bolstering the Obama administration.

9 for, 26 against, 15 undecided. That says it all really.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I like to compare gun regulation to automobile regulation. It's perfectly legal to sell a car to someone else, but it is there responsibility to register it. I suppose the difference is that it's easy to see a car tag and track who has a registered vehicle; not so much with a gun.

So if you wanted to legally transfer a gun to a relative ('here son, I got this from my dad, and it's been passed through the family...') you'd have to go into a gun shop and arrange a sale and resale?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:51 pm

http://scgnews.com/facebooks-psychological-experiments-connected-to-department-of-defense-research-on-civil-unrest

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Evil or Very Mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Would be harder to imagine a world not so cynical as to do this sort of thing.
Every invention, every accomplishment is accompanied by a group of pettyminded little bastards somewhere trying to ruin it all and turn it only to their own advantage.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:22 am

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] - Page 31 14+-+1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Hope he doesn't run into the dogg catcher.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 am

A Fox News poll says that 50 percent of Americans believe owning a gun is an act of patriotism. With that umber increasing to 79 percent among Tea Party members!

Maybe you can help out on understanding this one David as according to the same poll - 'Owning a gun is significantly more likely to be seen as patriotic in rural America (65 percent)'

How exactly does owning a weapon equate to patriotism?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Because our constitution gives them the right to own a firearm. Fear and paranoia along with a sense of self-preservation drive people to own them. It could be fear from home intruders, but mostly in this day it's fear that the gubment will take them away. I'm willing to bet money that I don't have that if our constitution guaranteed the right to own switchblades or nuclear submarines, and the government was considering regulating them, these same people would be out in droves at switchblade shops and nuclear submarine expos.

Essentially, the way I see it is, "Well, Obama doesn't want me to have one, so I'm going to get one, or two, or five." Happened to my dad when Obama got elected, he owned one hunting rifle for a long time. All of a sudden he's buying guns left and right and needs a gun safe, he gets a gun for my mom, he starts to support the NRA, they put NRA stickers on their cars (under the impression that it will somehow deter people from "messing with them" on the road).

There's nothing patriotic about owning a firearm. It's mostly just childish "I want this because you said I couldn't have it!" It's too bad Obama can't do anything big about gun control, even after all the recent mass shootings we've had. I'm also convinced that if you were to ask these people, "Do you believe that you will have to use your guns against the government one day?" a majority would answer yes.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Sure, I can tell you where that thinking is coming from, as long as you don't lump me with one side or the other. It's a complex issue. There are good, reasonable people on both sides, and nut cases on both sides.

The spirit of a "well regulated militia" which is the justification given in the 2nd Amendment is still very much alive in many parts of rural America. It's assumed that if you're a good citizen you're personally responsible for taking care of the land and the community around you. That can mean picking up litter, helping the poor and the elderly, fighting fires, dealing with criminals, military service etc. Things that "city folks" often naively assume take care of themselves. Especially among old families it's seen as a duty. The price of citizenship. A bit like Rangers in Middle Earth.

It's a good way to live. If you have a medical emergency, it's going to be your neighbors who volunteer with the ambulance corps who show up. If your shed catches fire, it's your neighbors who will drop whatever they're doing and keep the fire from spreading to your house, then make sure you're OK and have what you need to get on. If there's a coyote or dog that's killing livestock, it goes to heaven. If there's a problem, the thinking goes, a good citizen doesn't call for help from outside of their community, and if possible he takes care of it himself rather than imposing on his neighbors. That's at the core of this type of patriotism. Some of the people I met in the Highland villages years ago reminded me very much of this way of life.

Now just think about how this applies to law enforcement. If there's a problem anywhere in the community, a good citizen is assumed to be ready to help. If you don't have the tools for the job, you're not pulling your own weight, or so the thinking goes.

The principle works pretty well in stable rural communities. The trouble is when more and more people with this way of thinking about citizenship move to the cities, or when the gun industry fans the old flames of urban/rural mistrust. Then things start breaking down....

Does that make some sense?

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:48 pm

bungobaggins wrote:It's mostly just childish "I want this because you said I couldn't have it!"

I normally try not to assume the worst about people I disagree with politically, but having recently learned of the "coal rolling" phenomenon, your explanation seems increasingly likely.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/07/rolling_coal_conservatives_who_show_their_annoyance_with_liberals_obama.html

Edit: I hear what Dave is saying about differences in remote rural regions, but that's beyond the scope of my experience so I'm mainly talking about urban, suburban, and exurban areas here.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:51 pm

I guess I've never lived as "rural" as David has, so I can't really comment on that aspect of it. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:54 pm

but surely the gvt represents the people? in the UK the gvt is the symbolic heart of democracy, whether its true or not, the English dont have that paranoia that the gvt is out to get them, where does this paranoia come from? I dont understand it, why would you need to use guns against the gvt? its strange, I can understand that it you live in the Middle East, but not the US.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:55 pm

flood control  Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/07/rolling_coal_conservatives_who_show_their_annoyance_with_liberals_obama.html

I can't watch that video in the article, I just know it will put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I can't scientifically prove anything I said in my post on the previous page, but I stand by my statements.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:but surely the gvt represents the people? in the UK the gvt is the symbolic heart of democracy, whether its true or not, the English dont have that paranoia that the gvt is out to get them, where does this paranoia come from? I dont understand it, why would you need to use guns against the gvt? its strange, I can understand that it you live in the Middle East, but not the US.

Not when your party doesn't win and you're butthurt about it. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Bungo- needing a gun to shot your own government doesn't strike me as very patriotic- what you do you call people who want to attack your government if your own people want to attack your government!

Saying I need a gun to protect myself from my own government always seems to me to make democracy rather pointless- surely the point of a democracy is that the people can choose and change their leaders without resorting to taking up arms and having coups?

I can see more sense to it David in isolated communities- as you say the notion of taking care of your own problems is alive and well in Highland communities, as is helping your neighbour. But they dot need guns to do it with, as the chances of any trouble maker having a gun is slim to negligible and you dont bring a gun to a fist fight unless you're a coward (guns are largely viewed here as a weapon of cowards, as are knives for that matter- bringing a weapon to a fight just says you aren't man enough to stand your ground on equal terms because you haven't got the guts too).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I can see more sense to it David in isolated communities- as you say the notion of taking care of your own problems is alive and well in Highland communities, as is helping your neighbour. But they dot need guns to do it with, as the chances of any trouble maker having a gun is slim to negligible

Imagine tweakers with assault weapons. Really! Evil or Very Mad 
I know a lot of gun owners who would favor restrictions or outright bans of assault style weapons and large magazines for this very reason, if only the debate weren't so politicized. Now everybody feels they have to pick a "team", and reasonable debate and negotiation is off the table.  Suspect 

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm

I had to google to find out what a tweaker is- it sounded rather harmless- like they run up and tweak your nose and run away again!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Bungo- needing a gun to shot your own government doesn't strike me as very patriotic- what you do you call people who want to attack your government if your own people want to attack your government!

Saying I need a gun to protect myself from my own government always seems to me to make democracy rather pointless- surely the point of a democracy is that the people can choose and change their leaders without resorting to taking up arms and having coups?

I can see more sense to it David in isolated communities- as you say the notion of taking care of your own problems is alive and well in Highland communities, as is helping your neighbour. But they dot need guns to do it with, as the chances of any trouble maker having a gun is slim to negligible and you dont bring a gun to a fist fight unless you're a coward (guns are largely viewed here as a weapon of cowards, as are knives for that matter- bringing a weapon to a fight just says you aren't man enough to stand your ground on equal terms because you haven't got the guts too).

You would consider it patriotic if you believed that your country's leaders had stolen the election and were trying to systematically destroy "what makes America great."

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next