David H
halfwise
Orwell
the truth
Lorient Avandi
24 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] Empty continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Lorient Avandi Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm not sure whether to believe him and think he's an absolute gullible moron, or think he's a major lier and staged it all for publicity.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by the truth Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Banghead well they didnt get the assault rifles off the streets but they definately got them out of the stores . There have been so many sales of autoloaders ,you cant find one at the gun store , you cant order one and gun shops have no idea when they will be able to re-stock with them , also ammo in the most popular calibers are out of stock and you cant backorder any . Due to the run on ammo and guns ,police departments are running low on ammo and have no idea when they will be able to get more . The loss of ownership hysteria has caused people who would never have owned a firearm to run out and buy one , putting even more firearms into peoples hands .
People are selling 1000.00 dollar autoloaders for 4000.00 US dollars . Its next to impossible to find ammo for 22 caliber rifles which are normally so widespread available that you could get them in rural convenience stores and hardware stores . What a bunch of fruitcakes . It makes me think about how many of these assault rifles will be stolen from peoples homes ,since they have made them worth more than two ounces of gold now , what a HOT COMMODITY for the black market thieves .
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

continuing proofs America is wacko [2] Empty Re: continuing proofs America is wacko [2]

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 pm

I can't imagine Australia descending into chaos. Thank Eru we live in a society lacking paranoia. I've changed my view a little Truth. America is sounding more and more a paranoid society. The new Middle East. The new Redneck Patriarchy with it's desperate need of guns to fight off the Government and it's evil intents? Shrugging Still, it's only a minority of citizens going gun toting, right? Surely a populace with no proper social safety net for the ill and unemployed won't fight to the death to keep their guns, right, not while their own poor live at the bottom even by the worst Third World standards? Still, only a minority think like this, right? These tales dent ones confidence in a place though. Shrugging

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Refer back to the title of the thread.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I remember Orwell remarking he always thought this thread was meant as a joke. Only partly. Decades ago I spent a couple years living in west Africa. I spent much of the first year amazed at what a weird, wonderfully nonsensical place it was. Then I adjusted but still considered it a weird, wonderfully nonsensical place.

After two years I was eager to get back to America, where I was convinced everything would be sensible. Yeah, Right. I spent the next few months back in America looking at it with fresh eyes, marveling at what a weird, wonderfully nonsensical place it was. Decades later I still haven't forgotten, hence this thread.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 pm

I am from the south so it doesnt snow much and when it does there is a mass panic at the grocery store and all of the staples are bought up because of the fear of being snowed in , this is a fair comparison to me , and no Orwell I dont think its the minority , there are people buying that would probably never purchase a firearm under different circumstances . In a suburb close to me in North Atlanta a gun training class given by the local police department went from 70 attendees a month ago to over 700 , they had to move the class from the police department to the county auditorium . Most of the new attendees where women , seniors and educators . This was in Cobb County Georgia , home of the famouse town Kenesaw Ga, where they have an ordinance that you must have a firearm in your home . 40 Miles from downtown Atlanta
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 pm

I so love the irony of your previous post about getting guns out of the stores. Razz

I wonder if there would have been a way to implement some sane cleaning up of the current policies and registration without causing the mass hysteria? Perhaps if a republican president had been in office an alliance with the NRA may have kept things in perspective with the same policies implemented. Would have been mind blowing to see that with a democratic prez.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 am

halfwise wrote:

I wonder if there would have been a way to implement some sane cleaning up of the current policies and registration without causing the mass hysteria?

Nope. Not a chance. Paranoia and hysteria are the stock in trade of the gun industry and the gun lobby. Why would they want to do anything calmly when panic is such an effective marketing tool? It's how they've shown annual growth year after year despite hunting being on the decline.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by the truth Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:32 am

Its all very sad and disturbing to me David , I watch my Grandchildren learn things from me that I learned from my father , and realize its not long before the sun sets on most of these traditions.
the truth
the truth
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 am

It's good that you're getting to spend the time with your grandkids and pass on those traditions, Truth. So many families are mobile nowadays that a lot of kids never get more than short visits with grandparents, if that. That's how traditions are lost. That's how culture is lost.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 pm

These fear campaigns often lead to regimes like Hitler's and Saddam's, that's the worrying thing. If you think there's a Commie or a Jew (with all his ill-gotten gold) under your bed, you can marshall a lot of frightened people to your beck and call (read here "ism" and/or "religion"). America is a robust democracy, but no democracy is immune from politicised hysteria. This shows up a fact of life about peoples' view of governments - they can only be trusted so far, even democratically elected governments. Hell's bells! What if the American Government only wanted better managed Gun Laws so as to put the populace at its mercy, and not - like they say - to make people generally safer? Tyrants have often made good use of the natural distrust of governments - even pretty sound democracies like America can't be trusted absolutely. Annie get your gun.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

the truth wrote:Most of the new attendees where women, seniors and educators.

This is exactly the demographic I would not (as a rule) trust with a gun - would you want a rock'n'roll singer/songwriter to pour the foundations of your house, or an corporate accountant to teach you Ethics? Shocked

What do these folk want with guns? Perhaps kill more people through accidental discharges? I'm talking innate practical competence here and proneness to fear not malice. Very Happy

NB: Women have always been victims. (Woman is the Nigger of the World). Seniors become more frail and generally more fearful as they age. The less able to defend themselves they become the more 'worried' they get. Educators know too much, and the more you know the more there is to fear. Imagine all these nervy (and possiblly impractical) people with their fingers on triggers! Shocked

Last edited by Orwell on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 pm

thats very much like the argument you hear against women and senior drivers. The fact is that women and seniors are often safer drivers, take more care, are more responsible and have less accidents, than men from the age of 18-40. could be the same with guns? just a thought.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 pm

so basically only young men should have guns then?- Mrs Figg

Now that does not sound wise I must say! Young men are the most likely to be found at the back of the queue marked 'sensible decison making'.
Come to think of it we dont really get much better at it when we're older either, just better at looking like we've got better at it...

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm

read my edit Petty
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

That was not the point I am making, Mrs Figg. What I'm saying is some people seem to like guns - and are good at them, so to speak - while others are naturallly disinclined to them. Women have generally less use for them than men do. I'm saying this based purely on stats - all kinds of gun stats. But I also talk in the broadest of generalities (which talking I generally avoid - but obviously not always. Very Happy ) By the way, I also included males in the particular demographics above: seeing that males can be Seniors and Educators. Very Happy

I feel women have more to fear in society than men do as a rule, and women are less (as a rule) prone to violence. I guess being on the receiving end of it since Adam was a boy makes Eve (generally) opposed to violence - and maybe, by extension, the tools you do violence with. I'm not suggesting you're not a gun-toting violent bitch though - Miss! Shocked (Maybe you're from the 'Annie' demographic I alluded to earlier? Very Happy )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:thats very much like the argument you hear against women and senior drivers. The fact is that women and seniors are often safer drivers, take more care, are more responsible and have less accidents, than men from the age of 18-40. could be the same with guns? just a thought.

Hey! Edit while I'm responding! Geezus! Mad

I would think people who are scared drive more carefully. But that young seedy looking guy who seems to be following you along the pavement at night? You turn and shoot and hit the young Mother pushing her stroller five hundred metres away. Then you realize the young guy is not seedy at all, it's your friendly folk singing neighbour - a bit unshaven, yes, but hardly seedy [apparently]. Oh dear.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Laughing thats funny

oh so funny Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 pm

One must not stereotype - and I'm not stereotyping I promise! - but I think it is fair to say men are more often aggressors and women more often victims when it comes to violence. Men, generally speaking, are better at it --- unless you're Old and Brainy. (I'm an exception, of course, being Old and Brainy and an Aggressor - but in a good way Nod ).

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm

You seem to be arguing against yourself, Orwell. First you say young man types are more competent against guns and you wouldn't trust those who are less competent with guns. Then you are saying young man types are more prone to violence so shouldn't be given guns...just what in tarnation are you trying to say?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looking

white house official responce to the whole "why not build a death star"-issue
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 pm

estimatet cost of building a death starhttp://www4.lehigh.edu/business/about/deathstar.aspx

So You Want to Build the Death Star?
A few economics students at Lehigh are changing the way the world views numbers through their thought-provoking blog, Centives.

Dozens of posts have tackled a range of issues critical to our national dialogue. Among them: "How much do I have to save to go to Hogwarts?", "How many zombies would it take to defeat the Nazis?" and "Are weather prediction sites lying to me?"

They've even examined the role of game theory in The Hunger Games, coming to the conclusion that ... well, we'll let you read the rest.

But it was their post about the Death Star that really captured the imagination--and admiration--of reporters and Star Wars fanatics everywhere. The students computed the steel composition of the galactic weapon before coming to the conclusion that the Death Star would cost an estimated $852,000,000,000,000,000 to build.

It was a price tag that was just too compelling to ignore. Media outlets from Forbes to PC magazine reported the news.

Centives links to a number of things: Daily Bulletins are snapshots of stories on the Web, while their own economics research is captured in their own editorials. They even have a Greatest Hits section. Take a look!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I would point it at Orwies bottom. Nod

btw how much is it to go to Hogwarts. cheers
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 pm

halfwise wrote:You seem to be arguing against yourself, Orwell. First you say young man types are more competent against guns and you wouldn't trust those who are less competent with guns. Then you are saying young man types are more prone to violence so shouldn't be given guns...just what in tarnation are you trying to say?

As you know I never talk about the young (males or females) in a positive manner! Mad I said people who like guns are more often than not quite good at them. I mean, shooting straight. Rolling Eyes More males of all ages like guns than Females, Seniors and Educators per se. All this generalizing and statisticising is making me feel decidedly out of sorts btw! I don't know why I started it! Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I would point it at Orwies bottom. Nod

btw how much is it to go to Hogwarts. cheers

When I was playing with my band, Mrs Figgs, there were a few ladies who made pointed comments about my bottom. Very Happy That was a few years ago, though. Sad But really, a bottom that has lost some of it's shapeliness should not be shot at! I hope you're not saying that! Suspect If so - so much for all your political correctness! Hypocrite! Extremely Crabbit

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next