Orwell
David H
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Ally
25 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [2]

Post by Ally Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:07 pm

How do you guys know these things

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 pm

By the Power of the Buckie of course! cheers drunken

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 am

Something made me feel, not crabbit exactly, possibly sad-thats the problem you see, it made me feel something and I'm not sure what it was (identifying emotions beyond crabbit, drunk, angry, horny is not a Scotshobbit males speciality, actually add crazy in and it would cover our women too).

The thing which made me feel this unaccustomed emotion was a silly, slight thing. Someone I was talking to, who is about 25 years older than me said "It's years since I've been to the pictures"- meaning the cinema.
But I don't where cinema came from? When I was a kid everyone went to the pictures, my gran still called it a picture house and my grandfather worked as a projectionist in it.
It was a proper picture house too, you'd have liked it Mrs Figg- grand front, flags flying, red drape everywhere. People in red suits greeting you at the doors, usherrettes with trays of ice cream.
And the loss of that simple phrase, "going to the pictures" seemed, well something, some emotion. Shrugging
Can someone from a nation who knows about emotions help?

Here's a pic of the remains of the La Scala, the 'picture house'/cinema my gandfather was a projectionist in- you can still get a sense of its once grand facade. It seated 930 people.

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Sh_lascala_dunoon08

This is what passes for our cinema now. And yes, it is just a big corrigatted shed. If I dont go on a ferry and train trip to Glasgow to see TH this is my other choice. Mad

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Holyloch823

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 am

That touches a chord with me too, Petty. Fortunately our local old theater was rescued by local volunteers who have done their best to fix it up. They show good vintage films and host occasional concerts. It still echos that elegance of a bygone day. The interior was done in Spanish tile, and the dome was painted like a Cordoba night with stars twinkling through the false dome.

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Vfiles23920

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 7th-street_auditorium-l

But when I go to TH it will be in an old shopping mall across town, sitting in industrial seats in a giant shoebox. Sad

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Southshore
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 am

Another reason people dont go to the pictures as much any more Dave, it used to be something special, now it feels like you are cattle being herded.

Im happy yours was saved. There is something about that period of film, a similarity acorss the countries of what a picture house should be which both our pictures echo, that has been lost.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am

maybe its nostalgia tinged with loss and a pinch of desolation thrown in? I know exactly how you feel Petty, when I go back to my town after years of absence, everything looks so cheap and soulless. I remember how it looked as a kid, maybe its rose tinted spectacles, but I remember the familiar smells from the Hovis bakery, the hot sugary excitement of the sweet shop, and the friendly cobbler who's shop smelt of beeswax and old leather. The chemist sold sarsaparilla by the glass (a kind of tonic drink, once tasted never forgotton) it was wholesome and comfortable and yes the old cinema had velvet curtains and an ice cream lady with a torch. mind you everyone smoked so you saw the film through a romantic drifting fog. now its blockbusters and Dixons and an off-licence with fort knox metal doors. Sad Sad I am always very homesick for something long dead.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 pm

wow, you have some boring cinemas! Shocked
the new fancy one
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Aurora001-w
this was the old one, one "room", gigantic I remember Smile truly magic. it's now a library with glass walls. a very noisy one.
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Fokus
and this is the oldest one we have, and this is true nostalgia and it is still in use.
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Verdensteateret001-w

Last edited by Norc on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Extremely Crabbit Shrugging Banghead I love that last one, why cant we have nice ones?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:04 pm

this is where I saw FOTR for the first time. Razz

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Untitled6
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 ImagesCA8474VA
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow, Mrs Figg. It would be hard to beat that for elegance, I would think.Shocked

That's the experience our old 1920's theatre was aspiring to, in a pale way. Hoquiam was a sleepy Indian village in the 1800's that boomed suddenly into a large lumber/mill/ port town around WWI. Lots of rough dirty men of all nationalities and very few "civilized" women.

The founding fathers had to build grand Victorian style homes on the hills above the town to persuade their wives to join them on the frontier, and build such public buildings as the theatre so that their wives could dress formally and go someplace civilized in the evenings.

Today I think the only people who dress up to go to the movies are the Comic Con fans, (which is not quite the same :facepalm:)
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

I imagine you felt quite at home in there Mrs Figg.

Most of my little town David is Victorian built, there is something rather odd about how similar some cities in the US are to cities in Scotland- so much so that Glasgow has appeared in films doubling as US cities (it was Philadelphia for World War Z with Brad Pitt).

All on locations shots from the streets of Glasgow/Philadelphia!

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 _54705467_crashscene464x300
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Brad-pitt-torv-august-pictures-34
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Article-2027940-0D7DF40D00000578-12

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

heres my old town on the set of Yanks, made years ago with Richard Gere.

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 523945_56fd3971
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 B0006IIPM6_01_LZZZZZZZ
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Yanks0702
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Don't you guys have cinema chains, like Odeon or Vue? Pretty good value too; I used to have a monthly pass only just around £15 for unlimited films. There was a smaller cinema years back (where I saw Harry Potter for the first time!) but it could only hold 300 per screen and only had two screens! I think it turned into an indy cinema in the end.

I'm not too fused about the surroundings in these multiplexes either; the screen is better, better choice, seats are fine, and providing you didn't take your mentally limited friend with you when the movie starts you forget everything else!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm

I've had pretty good experiences with chain theatres, personally. They don't have as much personality as indy theatres, but frankly, they're a lot more comfortable than some of the indy theatres I've been too. Razz Nothing compares to seeing a movie in IMAX though. Real IMAX, on a screen that's several stories tall. Very Happy

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Z8ohP
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 TEC7G

Actually, there is something even cooler. OMNIMAX, which is where the screen is a half-sphere that extends all the way over the audience's head. Those sorts of screens don't really work as well unless it's a movie specifically made for it, though.

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 1Lg1k
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm

holy cow! vertigo or what? cool though.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Yeah, vertigo is sometimes a problem. Laughing They always have a warning before every presentation that if you feel nauseous you should just close your eyes for a few seconds and the sensation will pass. Fortunately that's never happened to me but if I look down -- the seats are on a very steep incline facing the screen -- my heart definitely starts racing. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

ha there is no way I would get up to have a pee mid screening, I would need one of those safety ropes the climbers use, and crampons, and some Kendal Mint cake. (how anyone can eat that stuff is beyond me) Shocked

mind you according to Wikipedia,
Kendal Mint Cake has been used on many expeditions around the world as a source of energy
Edmund Hillary and his team carried Romney's Kendal Mint Cake with them on the first successful ascent of Mount Everest in 1953. The packaging currently includes the following: “'We sat on the snow and looked at the country far below us … we nibbled Kendal Mint Cake.' A member of the successful Everest expedition wrote – 'It was easily the most popular item on our high altitude ration – our only criticism was that we did not have enough of it.'”
Mint Cake was provided to the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914–1917, which was led by Sir Ernest Shackleton.
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman included mint cake in their supplies for their 2004 motorcycle trip around the world in Long Way Round.
The Kendal Mint Cake is also a standard part of the 24-hour ration pack issued to the Irish Defence Forces.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 pm

So would IMAX be able to play a film in 48 fps??? What other kind of projector exists that can?

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 pm

IMAX is already a 48 fps format, actually. However, it's very different from normal film in other ways, with both the projection technology and the physical film that the pictures are recorded on. The IMAX film cel is a different shape, including more at the top and bottom, and also much larger. Here's a to-scale comparison using The Dark Knight Rises, which was partially shot on IMAX cameras, as an example.

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 LOEPO
Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 MEak4

I think the picture speaks for itself. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm

(((Just go along with it guys))) Haha, yes Eldorion! I totally understand & agree! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Sooooooooo is that a yes to my question? Is the film square size of 48fps the same size as the IMAX pictures?

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 am

Things that are making you crabbit! [2] - Page 6 Tumblr_m6p1tbAzFS1rpcy1m
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

lol! Thanks Norc! And I like Loki's hair much better short than long. He looks too grungee with long hair afro

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:20 am

sorry, I have no idea what I answered Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:34 am

Tinuviel wrote:Sooooooooo is that a yes to my question? Is the film square size of 48fps the same size as the IMAX pictures?

As far as I know, "normal" 48 frames per second film is the same size as regular film (leaving aside the difference between film and digital so as not to further confuse Ally Very Happy). IMAX, in addition to having a different kind of film, plays at 48 frames per second by default. So IMAX film is a different size from regular film, regardless of frame rate.

EDIT: basically, most theatres are set up to project movies at a certain resolution. The new 48fps theatres will project frames at a faster rate, but the size/resolution of each frame will remain the same.

I hope that makes sense to anyone else besides me, but sometimes I doubt my explanatory powers. Suspect
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next